SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeri

The Perfect Flan

jeri
10 years ago

I used The Perfect Flan recipe from Epicurus. It was delicious! However, I did have a bit of trouble with the Caramel part. I followed one reviewers advice to submerge the bottom of the pan into cold water to stop the cooking so it would not get darker. This worked very well at stopping the color from getting any darker, but it did cause the caramel set up too fast. Of course, the ramekins were also cold, so I'm sure this didn't help.

Fortunately, I was able to microwave the ramekins for 20-40 seconds which worked great, but I would like to avoid this next time.

Here a my thoughts, but I would like to know what you think!

1) Perhaps I should still halt the cooking process by dipping the pan in cold water, but for less time and have my ramekins preheated?

2) Perhaps I should not dip the pan in cold water, but I worry that the caramel will be very light on the first few and very dark on the last few as it continues to cook.

Using the Ramekins I already have, this recipe made 4 ý instead of 6. I was very happy with the end results size wise, so I will be increasing the recipe. Actually, I want to make 12 for this weekend, so I think I should triple the recipe. Should I do this all at once or make 2-3 batches?

Thanks!

Comments (17)