SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petra_gw

Tea Party! Help!

petra_gw
9 years ago

I am planning to invite a few ladies over for a tea party and am wondering what to serve along with the tea. Am also scratching my head about the logistics. We have 2 teapots, so do you offer only two teas or do you drink the first 2 and then brew the others? What kind of tea? Hub and I love Touareg and also Tulsi and Vanilla Rooibos. I guess those would be okay? We also have Earl Grey, but it has a lot of bergamot and might be overpowering along with baked goods? And what about baked goods, would an assortment of things like madeleines, custard slices, pound cake be better than finger sandwiches and maybe one baked item? I want to serve something nice, but I don't want to have to bake/make sandwiches all morning. Or should I just make several baked items? As you can see, I've never hosted afternoon tea before. :o)

Comments (37)

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I did a tea once, I did finger sandwiches, (which are a snap to make) and then scones, (which you can buy fine ones) and then little fruit tarts, which I am lazy and use those phyllo cups with canned pudding mixed with fruit then topped with Reddi Whip. Can also use prepared pie crust. I like some protein with my teas because all those carbs do a number on my metabolism. Deviled eggs are good or something stuffed into celery, cherry toms or endive can be good. That's just my personal taste though.

• plllog
    9 years ago

It sounds to me like you're trying to have fun, rather than make a particular concept of what a tea should be, so remember that while you're making your choices. Plan some of them, like which teas to offer, based on the tastes of your guests. If you don't know what they like, it's best to have one classic with caffeine, and one interesting with none. I'd think Earl Grey would be less obtrusive than Toureg, but, again, personal tastes differ. You could also get something fresh in honor of your party, and maybe get an Oolong or a mild Orange Pekoe.

As to what to feed them, again, what do they like? Will they be happy with all sweets? Are any diabetic? Are any gluten free? On a diet? I'd think a variety of baked items and savory would be most welcome. I'm not big on either sweets or cream so I used to sometimes dread afternoon teas. Even tea sandwiches are mostly bread. Your group might be just chomping at the idea of gorging on sweets and creams, however.

There are sandwiches you can make quite quickly, day of, by doing your prep ahead of time. If you want to lessen the carb/calorie load, you can make them open face. Start with a few different kinds/colors of bread sliced thin. If you make your own, you can slice the day before and wrap in plastic to keep them moist, or waxed paper, and in a container if you don't do plastic. For instance, you could use whole wheat, rye, egg, and white.

For fillings, you could do cucumbers. Slice thinly the day before so they have a chance to weep, and spread to dry before making the sandwiches. You can also put some yoghurt in a cheesecloth over a bowl overnight in the fridge to drain, and mix that with some dill (but no garlic at a tea!), for a kind of Meditteranean flavor. Spread the whole wheat or rye bread thinly with the thickened yoghurt and add a few layers of cucumbers. Cut into small batons or triangles.

Another good filling is watercress or upland cress. Wash it day before by soaking to get all the sand out, roll in towels, redo with dry ones and dry overnight, flat. Excellent just with salted butter on any bread, or you could add flavorings to the butter. You can also do an herbed cream cheese or mascarpone with just a little twist of lox on top, a very finely chopped egg salad, or chicken salad. The lox is a day of thing, but fast. The salads can be made day before and just smeared on the bread.

As to sweets, this is the time to show off. Trot out your favorite, most decadent recipes, unless you know the guests would be like me and prefer plain. Pound cake and madeleines are fine in their way, but they're meant to be bases to desserts, so go wild with them Day before, whip some cream with a little coffee. Spread on one madeleine, sprinkle with nutmeg, and sandwich with another madeleine. Night before, dip some in spiced chocolate ganache and lay out to harden. Make "strawberry shortcake" finger sandwiches by spreading a little clotted cream or creme fraiche on the slice of cake (but this is last minute), top with sliced strawberries, edge to edge, and cut into batons. Top with twists of julienned mint.

You can also elevate plain old thumbprint cookies by using a small dab of frosting to hold on a sugared flower, or you can fill the dimple with an intensely flavored jam or filling or curd or sauce and cover it with the flower. Or use any kind of decor you prefer. You could put a dollop of orange infused chocolate fudge in and add a twist of orange peel.

The sky's the limit, really. The point is to make things that are pretty and very tasty, and a bit rich. You don't need a lot of any one thing. One per person is plenty, or if you're making a dozens of things, five pieces, mixed, per person is generous. Some will take less, some more. If it's an intimate group, however, with one conversation, then better to have one of each for everyone so no one feels left out.

Have a lovely time!

• Related Discussions

Tea Party table for the Partea Planners 'tea party'

Q

Comments (37)
    purplemoon, thank you, well, since this treatment is going to last at least until Aug, I have to deal with good days (few) and not so good days, but I try to not have the bad days totally run my life...they just slow it down LOL Paintingfool, you just gave me a good belly laugh (Godiva) ha, only in my dreams, especially lately LOL I am glad that the tablesetting bug has gone to your family, there is nothing more pleasing than people actually using their "treasures" rather than making a shrine to them. To be lovinging touched and sharing a food event whether simple or elaborate is what makes the dishes special, because they were used with love. And each time the dishes are used they acquire a new patina of love every time they are used, now that is "priceless". And wow, 6 sisters, that means 6 opporutunites of beautiful tables and fun! dining delight, thank you too for your sweet words. I do hope what thoughts that come streaming out of this head (especially lately) are of some help to everyone, I defineatly do not have a claim to "engaging prose", I do the best I can, but of course if anyone has any questions I am always glad to take a poke at it. I do not consider myself an expert in any way. As I had said in the main forum under another thread, I do follow certain rules, but I do put up alot of others for grabs LOL, at this stage of my life I try to please me and others, the whole idea is to have fun, bring in color, excitement to what is a normal routine in most of our lives. My ears are burning in a good way, thankyou :) luvs, the Party Planner seems to be way behind on posting the photos, but if you go to her most recent comment about being busy...I think, you will see people that participated with comments, click on there blog sign and their blog will come up and you will see their teaparties.
    ...See More

can't do the tea party

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi everyone, I came home tonight - it is so exhausting in the hospital. My hubby is doing better, out of ICU and all the hardware removed. What is so amazing is his scar down his chest looks like a scratch. The stitches are on the inside and they closed the skin with glue!! They no longer cut all the way down your arm or leg for a vein, they only cut about 2 inches and use the laproscope to retrieve the vein!! As you can see, I have not been up to date on the happenings in the medical field. The nurses are so nice - but then they have a very nice patient. Don't know when he will be home, a small problem with the lungs. Thank goodness my kids are within 12 miles of home and they have been great. Thanks for all your prayers. Will update later. B
    ...See More

April creations..tablesettings, scapes, tea parties pics

Q

Comments (90)
    yachter, the way you have done your mantel is very nice. All your accessories go so well together. I love your stripe wallpaper! Judith, soo pretty--as usual ! :) Those goblets are such a pretty pink and so delicate looking, and I love the pink dishes. I'm getting in the pink 'mood' too after seeing all the pretty pink dishes on here. Your floral arrangement is beautiful! hi2all, thank you. The bone dishes were a gift from a friend and I try to use them often but I need to find more ideas for them. lorinscott, such pretty dishes. Your table is gorgeous too and I love your wall color, it is very pretty. I bet it is even prettier at night with candles glowing! sandi, I was in our Walmart today and I seen where the green checked napkins were back in stock and also saw the black checked ones which they didn't have before. Those are really nice too. You couldn't smuggle them past the DP? lol!
    ...See More

Tea Party Ideas

Q

Comments (17)
    I'm sorry I didn't get right back here. I was drug from my bedrest into hosting four guests for a couple of days. They've just left and I need a nap LOL Pesky the garden art is FABBBBBB I may just have to ask...oh heck I will, please tell us how you did it? Glue? What? I need need need to scatter those in the yard next year. They're perfect for this big old box....it needs humor! We're going to do another tea party for younger gals that's entirely silly with hats etc as a fund raiser as well. This one we'll keep old fashioned elegant. Pesky if you want to ditch anything in your stash I am sure I will put it to good use! I'll pay shipping of course and anything else ya want if it makes sense :) Thats so sweet of you. I'm lucky I have several months to plan. I will start hitting all of the thrifts in the area for tea cups (Mom we're talking pre 70's LOL) and other tea goodies. Our local habitat for humanity always has a lot of that stuff donated. I scanned ebay but their prices seemed a bit silly. You know, the one thing I need is one of those silly stacked plate things for goodies...but I can't remember the freaking name!!! Help?????? LOL My brain is a bit high on hormones and the basic words just aren't flowing.... KD If I won the many millions referenced in another thread I'd purchase two of those sofa's and have them set up in the parlor when DH came home one day....just to see him literally explode with horror heh heh LOL I'm giggling right now thinking of it....I need a lottery ticket
    ...See More
  • ann_t
    9 years ago

I love afternoon tea.

I participated in a "virtual" tea party on my blog a few years back.

Rather than the traditional sandwiches, scones, and tarts, I made homemade mini bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon and

shrimp filled profiteroles

Rice, Chicken and Mandarin salad

And for dessert we had chocolate éclairs filled with a white chocolate pastry cream, and little cream puffs with the same filling but with raspberries, dusted with powdered sugar.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LPink, thanks for the suggestions, that all sounds good and not too hard! You reminded me of the little tarts I used to make in the phyllo cups, lemon curd mixed with whipped cream and topped with a fresh raspberry or half a strawberry. Those were always popular. I also used to make tiny individual bundt cakes, will have to look for the molds. And thanks for pointing out the carbs. I didn't even think of that, but you are so right that bread plus cake might not be such a good idea without protein. Deviled eggs sound great to add to the menu.

plllog, many thanks for your suggestions and how-to's! Yes, hopefully more fun than stress, ha. One of the ladies was on a diet, but has since given up. :o) No allergies or dietary restrictions, which is good. One hates fish of any kind. But the others might like smoked salmon or lox.

The teas are fresh, I usually buy a couple times a month. I do have a black China and a Blood Orange coming in, could serve those instead. I guess the Touareg might be intrusive because of the mint.

Thank you for the "prettying up" suggestions, I love the poundcake sandwich idea and the doctored-up madeleines! I think a large platter of savories and a large platter of various sweets sounds perfect.

AnnT I missed your post when I replied! Everything looks absolutely delicious, especially the eclairs!

This post was edited by petra on Wed, May 28, 14 at 21:43

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

Plllog is right, the main thing is to have fun with it. You don't have to go all out unless you want to. A few precious yummies is better than way too much for anyone to take in all at once. I love me some carbs but I just need a little bit of balance with some protein. I just love those mini-eclairs!! Lemon curd is great too, with tea, if you like it. It's not actually that difficult to make but I'm not one to fuss if I can get good lemon curd locally. If you enjoy making it, then knock yourself out, that's a treat too. There are so many options. Afternoon tea is just about my favorite thing food-wise in the whole world. I can't drink tea anymore due to health reasons and it breaks my heart so much!

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lpink, I just buy lemon curd at the store, I forget the brand name but it's British and very good. I made it myself once and couldn't taste much of a difference. And yes, it's so easy to get stressed out and try to make everything perfect and have it turn into an ordeal instead of fun.

Maybe you could drink Rooibos, no caffeine and lots of health benefits. Same for Tulsi (Holy Basil). I like to stick a vanilla bean in with the loose rooibos to flavor it, makes it more interesting.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Blueberry scones with mascarpone cheese instead of clotted cream. Delish!

I'd skip the Earl Gray as I find some people just don't like the flavor of the bergamot.

Do a black tea and an herbal tea...will keep everyone happy.

• Islay_Corbel
    9 years ago

Being English, I'm very fond of tea. The thing is, it's got to be pretty. It doesn't really matter what you do as long as it makes people smile.

You have to start with savoury and move on to sweet. Cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off, a delicate ham sandwich always goes down well, then perhaps a small pastry boat with a crab mayo filling.

Then, the sweet. A glorious victoria sponge, scones with jam and cream is good.

As for the tea, I would personally cry is I was offered rooibos or Earl Grey. People love both, but they're very strong flavours. Offer one of those, and something more neutral like Darjeeling.

Then, all you need are fabbo tea cups and plates and the prettiest napkins you can find. Oh, and LOTS of fresh flowers in vases!!!

Keep it simple but make it fun.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, I am one of the Bergamot avoiders, too intense for me. Hubby loves it though.

Islay, the Rooibos we have (from Art of Tea) is very mild and tasty, doesn't have a strong flavor at all. I wonder if it depends where you purchase it from? I guess maybe I will ask for everyone's favorite tea before deciding, that should help narrow it down.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Petra, good idea to ask. :) A lot of Americans think "tea" means Lipton's, which is a black tea blend.

I was surprised that Islay said Rooibos was strong too. I had to give up caffeine, and Rooibos is the only herbal tea I've found that really has a tea feeling. And one of the things I love about it, is I can turn my back on it and it doesn't get too intense. Therefore, there must be a big difference between what we get and what Islay Corbel is talking about. Or maybe she meant "distinctive"? OTOH, I love Darjeeling, but wouldn't have called it "neutral", so maybe it's a cultural attitude towards the flavors of teas? Or just what we're used to? Like me thinking Touareg was too distinctive? Whereas I would think Rooibos was pleasantly tea-ish, though maybe your guests would prefer something fruitier for the herbal tea.

BTW, when I said about getting "fresh" for your party, up topic, I meant "anew" as in starting over, not that your tea was stale!

I'm sure whatever you choose, the party will be delightful.

• ruthanna_gw
    9 years ago

Petra, it sounds like you're right on track with two teas, a platter of tea sandwiches and a platter of sweets.

I love visiting tea rooms and often host tea parties, including what has now become an annual drop-in tea luncheon on the day after Thanksgiving.

Although I sometimes cut the sandwiches with the crusts removed into triangles or fingers, I prefer them cut into shapes like hearts, circles, stars, etc. I cut the bread shapes with cookie cutters the day before the party and store them in zip-lock bags. The excess bread can be used for a breakfast "puff" on a later date.

My favorite tea sandwich is a triple layer one with wheat bread topped with olive cream cheese, a layer of white bread, egg salad, and then topped with wheat bread. I put a couple of green olives and Kalamata olives in my mini chopper and then mix them with cream cheese (can do days in advance) and chop the eggs very finely for the salad with just a bit of mustard and enough mayo to hold it together.

One of my friends makes chicken salad tea sandwiches on circles of white bread and then spreads mayonnaise on the cut edges and rolls them in a mixture of chopped fresh parsley and chopped toasted almonds.

Another idea is chopped dates mixed with cream cheese and a bit of grated orange rind and juice spread on cinnamon raisin bread.

I usually like to serve desserts that can be eaten in one or two bites without utensils being needed and would serve them after the sandwiches.

For teas, It's depends on the guests' prior exposure to different teas. If I'm not sure, I'd serve a Darjeeling and a flavored tea like black currant. Although you probably don't use them and it might cause an inward shudder, have cream, sugar, artificial sweetener and lemon slices available.

Have fun. I'd bet that this will be only the first of many tea parties to come.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

plllog, I agree, rooibos stays nice and mild and non-bitter even if steeped for a long time. And the flavored varieties are lovely as well. Also agree about the Touareg, probably too minty. I do have a bag of silver needle white, very mild and vegetal tasting, that might make a nice "healthy" choice.

Ruthanna, your drop-in tea luncheon sounds like so much fun. What a cute idea to cut the sandwiches into shapes! I have heart and star-shaped cookie cutters, those would work really well. Re. sweeteners, I like my tea unadulterated, but hubby insists on honey and we'll have that as well as cream and sugar available. As for artificial sweetener, thank you for mentioning that, didn't even occur to me because we never use it.

So many great ideas and tasty suggestions, I might have to go all out and hire some kitchen help. :o)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

As a NewYorker i can't help but be reminded of tea at the PlazaHotel.
    A tiered selection of a few things all mentioned above.
    Bottom tier, a few simple sandwiches, crust removed...
    Middle tier, a biscuit or scones, butter and jam on the side
    Top tier, a few sweets that could include fruit dipped in chocolate
    ...or a simple three fruit skewered on toothpicks

I think of it as a light mid-day snack, but more about a pleasant gathering for friends
    to slow down and enjoy, putting busy schedules aside for a while.

I do have a ball jar in the pantry of various sugar packets. Even some packets have the cubes.
    Some like honey and some like a lemon slice with tea.

I might have a pot of coffee prepped but not made yet...just to offer if wanted.

I might make a crumpet or english muffins since i recently perfected that...just to show off and fun to make for me.
    And a sheet of puff pastry squares cut small with tomato/fetta/basil or similar just because i've been wanting a reason to make them lately.
    Not really a recommendation for you, but i often like to include what 'I' want at the time...
    What is fun for 'me' to make, rather than a chore creation.

Your tea selection sounds wonderful. I always have a few herbals and a mixed selection of others in sealed bag form...that i put out in a small cup when i have house guests waking up at different times...
    One simple herbal might be nice. Pick one that you might like if it isn't used....

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sleevendog, hubby is a native New Yorker, but never had the pleasure of tea at the Plaza. It sounds quite elegant. :o)
    I am tempted to make a custard square recipe I've wanted to try. Might have to do a trial run first, but am willing to sacrifice. :o) Also contemplated making individual Black Forest Cakes by baking the chocolate cake in muffin pans, but fitting the cherries and whipped cream into a small cake might be difficult, and if I use a giant muffin pan, the serving might be too large along with everything else.

• ruthanna_gw
    9 years ago

Here's a recipe for miniature cherry cheesecakes with a chocolate crust I've used as a tea party dessert. I make the dough balls two nights before the event and then complete them the night before.

TINY CHERRY CHEESECAKES - makes 24

1 cup flour
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/ 4 cup baking cocoa
    1/ 2 cup cold butter
    2 Tbsp. cold water

Filling:
    2 packages (3 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
    1/ 4 cup sugar
    2 Tbsp. Milk
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 egg, beaten
    1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling

In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar and cocoa: cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide and shape into 24 balls. Place a ball in greased miniature muffin cups; press dough evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of each cup.

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in milk and vanilla. Add egg; beat on low just until combined. Spoon about 1 tablespoonful into each cup.

Bake at 325 degrees for 15-18 minutes or just until set. Do not over bake. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Carefully remove from pans to cool completely. (I use the point of a thin bamboo skewer to assist.) Top with a cherry and a drizzle of sauce from the pie filling. Store in the refrigerator.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Oh, just go for it. Make the things you're interested in making, and have a back-up plan just in case. Who says you can't serve sherbet at a tea? Get a pint at a good ice cream store, and if one of your plans goes far awry, use a round scoop or melon baller to make small spheres in mini cupcake papers, put them on a tray and cover with cling wrap until it's time to serve. But only make them up after a failure. :) Or...get a really good vanilla ice cream, and if, for instance, your mini black forest cakes fall apart, dump them into a mixing bowl, cut the ice cream up and dump it on top, mix lightly, and press it into a pretty bowl that can go in the freezer. Again, freeze until it's time to serve, then scoop at the tea table. People will be totally impressed with your fancy ice cream!

That's not to say that testing isn't a good idea...

Re the mini-cakes, think mini cherries. You still want the proportions to be normal, so chop the cherries to a size that's equivalent in proportion to what you'd use for a full sized cake. Mince, really. Then use a piping bag to have control over the filling. Or even a jam spoon. Little cakes call for little utensils. And don't overlook the value of tweezers for this kind of operation. :)

So...any plans for a harpist? :D

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

Yeah, cake and pudding and fruit gone crazy is just a trifle!

I may try this rooibos. I can't have tea due to the tannic acid, not the caffeine. Tea is just about my favorite thing in the whole world, but it no longer agrees with my bladder. I guess my bladder didn't get the memo on all the anti-oxidant benefits! Back in the day I drank strong Assam or Orange Pekoe with milk or half and half. I learned to drink it that way from British friends. Prior to that I drank it without dairy, but often "flavored" with cinnamon, lemon, or something or other, which I caught heck about from the Brits. "You Yanks put cinnamon in everything!" "I just want a cup of tea, PLAIN tea!"

I had tea in a Piccadilly Circle or whatever it is called, in London with a friend. High wingback chairs, real wool carpet and red velvet curtains, fireplace with fire, silver tea service and china cups, and waiters in tuxes. And yes, just like Sleevendog said, three tiers, one with savories, one with scones, clotted cream and jam on the side, and one with little sweets. It was winter, cold and sleety outside and this to me was the height of luxury and comfort. It was at some swanky hotel, probably much like the Plaza. Maybe it even was the London Plaza, if they have one. I'll have to ask my friend if she remembers where that was.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ruthanna, those sound really good. And much better portion control than a big cheesecake. Thanks for the recipe!

plllog, I've learned the hard way to do a trial run (nothing like a failed recipe for a table full of people) and have some backups as well. Black Forest bars might be a better option, no chopping, tweezers or precision work required.

Harpist? I was actually thinking full orchestra. :o)

LPink, I bet you could drink rooibos. It has miniscule amounts of tannin and is even safe for reflux. Am the same as your friends with tea, just like it plain and unsweetened. Coffee is another matter, has to have cream and sugar.

Tea in London at a swanky hotel, that must be absolutely opulent. And so much tastier and cozier when it's cold and sleety. Sounds like the perfect setting.

• Islay_Corbel
    9 years ago

Rooibos is Acacia plant so if you can't drink tea which is a Camellia Sinensis, then you should be ok. I don't care for the smell but people love it.

Tea in a swanky London hotel like the Ritz is £47!!!!! You'd want a good feed for that price! My mother took me when I was 14 - had no idea it cost so much. I do remember it being very good, though!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea at the Ritz!

This post was edited by islay_corbel on Fri, May 30, 14 at 2:45

• rosydreams SoCal (10a Sunset 19 HeatZone 8)
    9 years ago

Hi there!
    I came across this witty blog last year on Pinterest while looking at gardening info. There's a wonderful post on having afternoon tea with lovely pictures. Also it had some tea party recipes and a bunch more for clotted cream, breads, tarts, etc. under the recipe heading.
    It was a fun read. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Afternoon Tea for You & Me

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Rosy, thanks so much for the link. That was fun to read. I love his tea service, so pretty. And now I know how to make cucumber sandwiches. :o)

• plllog
    9 years ago

Those are very traditional cucumber sandwiches. :)

I find several kinds of tea sandwiches made only with butter get boring, which is why I suggested the thickened yoghurt. Also, you don't need to bake special bread. :) If you have a round topped loaf, you just have more going in the crouton bin. :)

I don't mean to be cranky. I just get annoyed when people try to make simple things look fussy and hard.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also like chive cream cheese as a spread, that would work with several types of toppings.
    Still have a few weeks to ponder and stress and decide :o)

• ruthanna_gw
    9 years ago

Plllog, you are correct that there are many ways to make tea sandwiches and IMO, the only thing they must have is to taste good. One of the tea rooms we frequent makes their tea sandwiches in a non-traditional way that's very simple. They cut out circles of bread, top them with a spoonful of filling and then give them a slight pinch to curve the bottoms.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Petra, cream cheese and chive would be outstanding!

Ruthanna, that platter looks lovely! Sort of the union of the tea sandwich and canape. I imagine with their pretty panties, they're much easier for the kitchen to assemble.

Which reminds me, the point of making shaped loaves, unless you're catering for large groups, when minimizing waste becomes important, is to keep the crust on. Still, I imagine, if you're going to bake your own bread, that a tube loaf would make for excellent rounds. They also make star and heart shaped bread tubes. :) For a ladies' at home afternoon, cutters on a standard loaf work really well. :)

Petra, every time I open your thread I'm inspired even more to have a tea party. :) I can't wait to hear how yours turns out.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ruthanna, those sandwiches are pretty, and I am going to steal the muffin paper presentation idea.
    plllog, hopefully it will turn out well and we'll have to roll everyone away from the table when they are done eating and drinking. :o)

• plllog
    9 years ago

LOL!! If you really want to roll them out, you can serve that "other" kind of tea. ;-)

• ruthanna_gw
    9 years ago

These cucumber sandwiches are triangles but served point side up for a different presentation.

These cucumber sandwiches (rear of plate) had butter with chopped fresh mint on them.

There are so many variations of tea sandwiches that your guests will like whatever way you decide to make them.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Yes, there must be something with lemon curd, something with watercress, and something with cucumber. After that, go for it! Petits fours? Strawberries with clotted cream? Tiny prosciutto and melon rolls, perhaps a melon ball wrapped in a thin strip of prosciutto? Tiny palmiers? I love Earl Grey tea, BTW. How about Lady Grey?

Here is a link that might be useful: This lemon curd?

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitchendetective, yes, tiny pastry cups filled with a mixture of whipped cream and lemon curd, very tasty. Those can be topped with a raspberry or a slice of strawberry as well.
    Ruthanna, do they usually serve salad along with the sandwiches?
    plllog, "that" kind of tea isn't legal in TX. :o)

• ruthanna_gw
    9 years ago

It depends on whether you're going for lunch or just tea. Although they have different names for each category, they're usually in this order as far as amount of food and price but they only offer two or three different packages on the menu.

Scones and/or not too sweet quick bread(s) and a dessert

Scones, tea sandwiches, and desserts.

Soup or salad, tea sandwiches, desserts

Scones, soup or salad, tea sandwiches, desserts

Soup, salad, tea sandwiches or entree like quiche, desserts

Soup, scones, salad, entree, dessert.

If they serve salad, it's usually a separate course from the tea sandwiches but at that tea room, it was served together.

At my own tea parties, I don't serve salad but will do a small cup of soup if it's wintertime.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, from what I've read, there's Tea and High Tea, and High Tea is served much later and is more like a dinner and does not necessarily include tea either. I think we'll stick with sandwiches and sweets, plus tea.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Good gravy! What kind of "other tea" is illegal in Texas?? Never mind. I can plug in trite cop shows and get an inkling...

I was winkingly referring to Bourbon! Even in dry counties you're allowed to consume it!

Edit: And it was just a silly joke on rolling them out of there. One of the things I like most about teas is that "carouse" is not a descriptor. I like to have fun, but I get tired of the expectation that the extreme behavior one sees on TV defines what "fun" is.

This post was edited by plllog on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 14:29

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, I thought you were referring to the illegal herbal tea the Grandpa Walton actor (supposedly) used to drink, and which he credited for his longevity. That kind is still illegal in many states. :o) Besides, it would likely require me to make double the food to account for the munchies.

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

I grew up with a tradition of afternoon tea, which came from the Dutch and English side of the family. Mom and grandma had tea and I remember wonderful gatherings of many of my grandma's 8 sisters for afternoon tea. Mom said she had it at her grandma's too, so when I serve tea I like to include great grandma's little china platter for the sweets. But Dutch tea is just plain tea with a cookie, usually a gingerbread one!

It took me a while to loose the "high tea" moniker for afternoon tea, I guess Americans think that an afternoon tea with all the china is a "high falutin' affair!" I love all the variations of tea service pieces! Although I can ill afford to ever have a formal tea since I am at work all the time in the afternoon and rarely have company on weekends.

I am also greatly enamoured of canapes and finger sandwiches, I love the idea of being able to try a few bites of a lot of different tastes! Again, not something I get to indulge in very often. That's a meal we don't often have anymore at my house, the "make your own sandwich" spread that my mom used to put out. I know it is very common in Europe as a dinner, just some breads, cheeses and meats set out on the table with a few other accompaniments. At least that's the way it was back in the 80's when I was in Germany. They have great coffee houses too. We have them here in the states but no where near as many fine ones. My current town has a nice coffee house but it is not very exciting when it comes to the food offerings. The same dull limited options every single day. The market won't bear anything more I guess.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lpink, I was born and raised in Germany and that is exactly what we had, Abendbrot (evening bread). :o)
    Good bread, butter, mustard, pickles, radishes, cold cuts or leftover sliced roast, and various cheeses, salad made with cubed ham or roast beef, etc. Very tasty and filling. And sparkling apple juice or beer to wash it down.

As for timing, we are going to have it on a Saturday or Sunday, much easier than a weekday afternoon after work.

• ruthanna_gw
    9 years ago

Petra, you would not believe how many different names for tea services I've seen. Cream Tea, Afternoon Tea, Full Afternoon Tea, Garden Tea, Windsor
    Tea, Victorian Tea, Royal Tea, Imperial Tea, and Gentlemens' Tea are just a few of them.

I would invite your friends for Afternoon Tea and I think a variety of sandwiches and sweets will be perfect. What's nice about a tea party is that most of the guests are delighted with the novelty of it.

I grew up in a family where tea rather than coffee was the beverage if choice and sometimes my "career woman" aunt would take my cousins and myself out for a tea lunch at a hotel or department store restaurant when we were still in grade school.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH