Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fennel pollen?

Posted by kimka (jkkaplan@erols.com) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 16:13

A yahoo article was just extolling the wonderous flavor of fennel pollen, especially in olive oil for bread dipping.

I've never heard of it. Has anyone else? What does it taste like?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fennel pollen?

It tastes like fennel seed only milder.

o

I've heard of it, saw it someplace and it was $$$ but I figure I have fennel in the garden, perhaps I should work on "harvesting" the pollen!

Martha

o

Yep, it's easy to get off of a fennel blossom. I haven't used it much, though - I just forget about it. I saw it used once a long time ago on an episode of Iron Chef where fennel was the featured ingredient.

Sally

o

Yes..it tastes just like other forms of fennel. If you have any kind of fennel growing in your garden you just take the blooms and shake them upside down over a cookie sheet and let the golden pollen which falls off dry in the sun. I would just sub a pinch of ground fennel seed if a recipe called for it.

o

Has a strong licorice smell, but doesn't taste strong. Is very expenisve to buy. Wonderful mixed with salt as well for a finishing salt.

o

Coincidentally, I just saw this recipe using fennel plollen on TV today. I haven't tried fennel pollen but I often sprinkle crushed fennel seeds on pork before roasting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pork roast with fennel pollen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here