Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leftover Biscuits

Posted by starlightfarm (My Page) on
Wed, May 13, 09 at 16:01

I made a Mother's Day lunch that was wonderful (if I do say so myself!). My father grew up with some kind of bread on the table at every meal, so I try to always have some sort of bread. If I am pressed for time, I make a quick pan of biscuits.

As usual...I made way too many this past weekend. Hubby and I munch on them, but I would like to know if anyone has any recipes that use already baked biscuits.

Silly question, but I would like to put them to use instead of feeding them to the dogs and goats! (although they do enjoy them!).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leftover Biscuits

Soooooo good, biscuits and chocolate gravy!

Chocolate gravy!

1 cup granulated sugar or Splenda sugar substitute
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (we prefer Hershey's)
Directions
Mix all the dry ingredients in a heavy saucepan with a whisk. Using a whisk blends everything better than a spoon. Stir in the milk.
Cook over medium heat stirring constantly. Remove the pot when the mixture is thick like pudding.
Add the butter. Stir in until completely melted. Serve over Split warm buttered biscuits.

o

I'm assuming that you are referring to Buttermilk or Baking powder biscuits?

I'm not sure about chocolate gravy but I can recommend sausage gravy. Not sure how fresh biscuits baked on Sunday for Mother's Day will be today. But maybe smothered in sausage gravy they will be okay. Makes a great breakfast or dinner.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Sausage Gravy
=============
Basic Outline for Sausage Gravy.
I never measure any of the ingredients.

Good Quality Sausage
oil
garlic
Cream/milk
salt, pepper
flour
fresh sage

Remove sausage from casings and saute in oil. Break the sausage up into smaller pieces.

When Sausage is brown add minced garlic. Cook for one minute. Add 1 to two tablespoons of flour. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes. Add cream and or milk. Season with salt, lots of fresh ground pepper and minced sage. Simmer for 10 or 15 minutes to meld the flavours. Serve over homemade buttermilk biscuits.

Note: If you have any leftover chicken, turkey or pork gravy add it to the sausage gravy.

o
RE: Leftover Bis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cuits

Chocolate gravy is delicious!
There's a local deli here named The Chocolate Biscuit, very popular here.

And another one that serves it only on Saturdays.

May not be a pro like some, but I do know it's good!

o

Toast them and spread with butter and jam.
Use them for French toast, make bread crumbs out of them for topping baked dishes. Grind up or grate for crumbs and toast in the oven.
Or....feed them to the critters.
Linda C

o

I make chicken pot pie filling (nice and thick) ... there was a thread on here about pot pies couple of weeks ago. Turn it into the baking dish and top with the baked biscuits. Then heat in the oven for about 10 minutes or so til it is all bubbly and the biscuits are hot.

Grace

o

Grace, I do the same thing with beef stew.

Glenda, I visited Tennessee when I was a teenager and they had biscuits and chocolate gravy for breakfast. Now, I say anything chocolate can't be bad, LOL, and they weren't. I still like my biscuits best with honey and butter, but my girls loved the chocolate gravy, courtesy of my Aunt Betty, who moved to Michigan from Tennessee after she married my Uncle Leon.

Annie

o

I don't mind leftover biscuits, toasted in the toaster or oven, with butter and jam, and tea. I even mist them with a bit of water if they're a little dried out. Works with bread too. With warm butter and my homeade jam, good enough for me!

o

I use any lefover for breakfast biscuits; fried egg, bacon/sausage and cheese....I know it's not real healthy but they are so good!

o

Biscuits are always my preference for strawberry shortcakes. So if the biscuits are a bit old I do heat for ten seconds in the microwave with damp towel to take off the "dry" then use plenty of sugar for the strawberries to make lots of juice. Yum.

Not for this time but in future when you make too many biscuits, make them into breakfast biscuits. Make up a batch of scrambled eggs and put them on the split biscuits. Add a slice of cheese. If you have some ham or sausage around you can add that to the eggs or just as a separate layer. Wrap well individually with plastic wrap then put all into a baggie. Easy to heat in the morning for a breakfast on the go. Also easy for someone to take to work, then heat after they've thawed. If I don't have the meat I might skip it when making up the biscuits then when the meat is around make appropriate sized patties or slices and freeze singly then put into a bag inside the biscuit bag. Easy enough to add a layer of meat before you heat. I have a carnivore here so she appreciates my efforts to add a bit of meat when I can. Smiles.

You can also always save them to add to a bread pudding. I use all kinds of "scrap" bread for bread puddings. I just put them in freezer then gather whatever has built up when there's enough for a bread pudding.

o
Rerun

Heh Marigene. Great minds! Except you managed to say the same thing without yammering on like I do. Smiles.

o

My mother sliced them in half, buttered the halves and toasted them under the broiler. Good with jam or sweetened coffee.

o

Growing up my mom would split them, butter them, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese and run them under the broiler and serve them with dinner. Sort of a take on garlic bread, but w/o the garlic. Some chopped fresh basil or a sprinkle of dried Italian herbs would be good too.

o

I split mine, toast in a frying pan with a pat of butter, then I put them in a bowl and drizzle with maple syrup. (I do the same with cornbread, too)

The fruit shortcake idea is another good way to use them up.

o

Thanks for all the great ideas. We ate "jelly" bread as we called it when we were little... a little butter and jam spread on the biscuit. Hubby loves this, but there is only so much "jelly bread" that one man can eat!

I made bacon/eggs/gravy/biscuits Monday night to eat up a few of the biscuits.

I was just hoping to find some unique ways that people finish up their leftovers.

Now the chocolate gravy sounds very interesting!! I think that they should call it something other than "gravy"!!! That just ruins it from the start. I'm not a big chocolate fan, but I have a feeling that hubby could eat his weight in biscuits with choc gravy. I will definitely save that recipe for future leftover biscuits.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

o

I had an aunt who used to chop up fresh tomatoes, onions, & crumble leftover bread, which was often biscuits, added seasonings & baked. That was a long time ago, & I know I didn't care for it, but other members of the family seemed to enjoy it.

o

Leftover biscuits? Never heard of em!

Lisa

o

So many posts, so many ideas.
Glenda, one of my daughters lived in B'ham a few years ago and she took ne to the Chocolate Biscuitfor lunch. I don't remember what I ate but I had never heard of chocolate gravy . OT, I bought their cookbooks, a weakness of mine, and in a ton of their recipes they kept refering to Rotel. It took a while to realize what they were talking about and apparently their contributors used a LOT of Rotel To me, Rotel is just a brand, like Hunt's or whatever. However, since I "discovered" these forums I don't use cookbooks nearly as much...I just turn to the experts, here.
I've lived in TN all my life and I've never heard of anyone making chocolate gravy. I agree they should call it someting besides "gravy". The idea of chocolate gravy definitely doesn't appeal to me.

When I make biscuits, I ALWAYS make more than I need and put what's left over in the freezer and when I need them, take out as many as I need, wrap them in foil and heat them in the toaster oven. And in response to strawberries and biscuits, that's one of our favorite meals in strawberry season.
I know, as usual, my comments are disjointed but I talk that way as well.LOL
jude

o

Ann_t, your photo of biscuits with sausage gravy and scrambled eggs and home fries made my mouth water! That's on the menu as soon as the linguini with clam sauce is gone. My hubby grew up in the south so he just about drooled at the suggestion. Thanks so much for posting this yummy idea!

Another way we used to serve warm biscuits is split in half with butter and honey.

(Chocolate just isn't my thing, I'm afraid.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here