Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fondant technique help

Posted by palomalou (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 15:59

I made petit fours using the recipe in Peterson's Baking book. Cake worked fine, but when I made the fondant to pour or dip, many of them look very very sad. The problem seemed to be getting and keeping the fondant at a usable temperature. The pouring seemed to often go down the sides without actually sticking. So online I found a youtube of someone dipping them. Okay, so I freeze the cakes, and dip the first one--oh, yes, this will work! By cake number 3, the fondant was already too thick and began to pull the cake, or at least the top layer, totally off the skewer and furthermore getting crumbs in the fondant. I ended up piping a small rosette on each one as camouflage, and they are quite tasty, but.... What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fondant technique help

I hope others will chime in as I admit, I have never made petit fours. The site linked below has a video and loads of tips. They looked pretty good! I hope this helps.

From the bottom of the Sprinkle-Bakes Blog:

Tips for Fondant Success:

It is of paramount importance that this fondant stays thin when dipping the cakes. Be sure to work near the microwave so you can quickly heat the mixture during dipping. Alternatively, you may place fondant in a heat-proof bowl and have a simmering saucepan of water on the stove in which to place the fondant when it starts to thicken.
Do not add the food coloring and flavoring to the hot syrup before it has cooled. This will cause the fondant to be grainy.

Dip the imperfect cake cubes first. Every beginner batch has one or two that are lop-sided. These can be “test” pieces so you can learn to gauge the behavior of the fondant before dipping the more perfect cubes.

Have a wet dish towel handy to wipe fondant covered fingers between cake dippings.

Fondant can be cooled and refrigerated for 24 hours before using. It will completely harden, but can be re-heated in the microwave (or stove top--just don’t boil it) until thin and pourable.

Instead of dipping cakes in the warm fondant, you may choose to place it in a 4 cup glass measure and pour it over the cakes. If you have success with this method--God bless you. The dip/spoon method works best for me because I know the sides of the cakes will be evenly coated without wasting too much fondant--but if you find my method too messy or complicated, experiment and find what works best for you.

Don’t be discouraged if your first batches of cakes are messy and lumpy. This is a recipe that takes practice, so be patient with yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: poured fondant and petit fours

o
RE: fondant technique help

Many thanks, Rob!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here