Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
17 day diet - make on weekend to have during the week?

Posted by vettin (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 15:53

Any recipes pls? I do not care for salads. So far have turkey meatballs, Parmesan fried chicken, and possibly a spinach dip. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 17 day diet - make on weekend to have during the week?

Sooo? What's the diet? Weight loss? Low fat? Low salt? or just foods to make ahead?

o

It's a weight loss diet. I think our Karen did it. Maybe she will see this and have an answer.

E

o

Thank you barnmom for the heads up!

I HAD to lose the weight...it was an important occasion and a once in a lifetime opportunity. I was bound and determined; to lose the weight I had gained, to fit into that custom made dress (inserting rolling eyes). ;-)

vettin, I know you've not asked for the information I'm posting but if anyone else sees this post, and is thinking of this "diet", perhaps they can glean from it. I'll happily answer any questions that you or anyone else has.

I personally don’t believe in diets...they seem to set you up for failure IMO. I started this diet by Dr. Mike Moreno at the beginning of December of last year. I had gained about 15 lbs., in 8 months, in fat and it seemed to be crushing my lungs! LOL! I was so uncomfortable. I knew I had to do something for my health. I kinda felt and looked like a piece of sausage.

My SIL recommended "The 17 Day Diet" because it's all about healthy eating and she knew I liked to eat healthy. I stuck with it religiously for the 3 cycles. I lost 24 or 26 lbs. really don't remember the exact numbers. Recently I gained back 4-5 lbs. so I did the first cycle again and lost it all and then some. My fat melted away and I could breath! I'm beginning to sound like an infomercial!

As far as preparing food ahead of time I'm not sure why you would need to do that except if you are really crushed for time. Most of the recipes in the book are quick and easy to prepare.

It's all about fresh cleansing vegetables, hot green tea (ick),fresh food, probiotics and low fat/low sugar/low cholest.

I'm thinking you could take a lot of different kinds of fresh vegetables and broil/boil them up for eating during the week. The only thing I would do ahead of time would be to prepare turkey burgers or season your chicken, turkey, fish and then bake/grill when you get home. Tuna steak takes 7 minutes on the grill. When I am short on time I grill a tuna steak, boil and mash some cauliflower as a side dish and grill some asparagus. It takes me 20 minutes to do that meal. You can have 2 egg yolks a week. I'm thinking you could do that ahead of time and enjoy with some Breakstone LiveActive cottage cheese and a piece of fruit. Dr. Moreno's recipe for Chicken-Vegetable soup (Activate Cycle) is great! I always add more cabbage and seasoning to his recipe. Double up the recipe and freeze for quick meals. Fresh berries in plain low fat/sugar free greek yogurt will become a sinful treat. Sometimes I would add a tablespoon of "Casa Giulia" marmalade, jelly or jam to the yogurt. YUM! This is my favorite brand of purchased jelly. The Sour Cherry jelly is to die for in yogurt. Balsamic vinegar will become your best friend. I use it on so many things as it lends a flavoring that beats butter. NOT!!!! ;-)

Drink lots of water and I love to drink the hot lemon water every morning that he recommends. It really does help. I thought it was a crazy thing to drink hot water with lemon but hey it worked for me.

I'm not sure I could prepare meals ahead of time for this way of eating. It may help if you wash all vegetables, season meats, chicken, fish or turkey ahead of time and prepare your sides that evening. Make enough to bring to work for lunch the next day. Good luck vettin!

o

BF and I try to eat lots of fresh vegetables. It does help to clean them all up on the weekends. Also I very often make a pot of beans (if you can eat those) and brown rice and then freeze them. I also make stews in the crockpot which I then parcel out into reheatable containers that I can pop into my lunchbox. Same with casseroles like enchiladas, etc. Dips like spinach and hummus are great on whole grain wasa bread, which is one of the things I can eat.

Here's a great low fat spinach dip. I also make the regular recipe and sub half tofu for the mayo and sour cream, then just add a dab of lowfat mayo and lowfat sour cream for flavor.

Lowfat spinach artichoke dip

I can of white beans--butter beans go well, as do cannelini.
1/2 10 oz. package of frozen chopped spinach, or about 1-2 cups from a bag, which is how we buy it. Could use 5 oz. fresh, just steam and dice.
1 jar of marinated artichokes, chopped.
1/2 large red pepper diced or one canned roasted red pepper diced.
3 chopped scallions or 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
couple cloves garlic to taste, or the equivalent garlic powder
1 tsp. italian seasoning and/or some fresh basil
dash of lemon juice
couple TBLSP parmesean cheese and a dab of neufatchel if you can eat either of those. Go easy, since this is where the fat comes in.
Salt and pepper to taste. Not needed if you use the parmesean and canned beans.

Combine spinach and beans in the food processor. Spoon out of the processor and add the other ingredients. This should meld for at least 30 min. before eating.

Yesterday I made the easiest chili I have ever made in my life, and it was great.

Throw it in the Crockpot Chili

Ingredients to throw in:
1 chopped onion (red or white)
1 can beans of choice--black or kidney are my favorites
1 cup Morningstar Farms fake meat crumbles, (or 1/2 lb. crumbled cooked lowfat meat of choice)
1 cup frozen corn
1 diced zuchinni
1/2 diced green pepper
1 can Hunts diced tomatoes with spicy red pepper. I had never had these before, they were GREAT. You could use the fire roasted diced tomatoes, or the ones that come with jalepenos. If you can't get any of these, improvise with regular diced tomatoes and canned peppers.
1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce plus some water for rinsing out the can
2-3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. commercial chili powder
1/2 tsp. ancho chili pepper
1/2 tsp. hot or mild paprika or a mix
Adjust hotness to your taste with cayenne. This version was hot enough for us as is.
Throw all this in the crockpot and simmer for about 2 hours on high and 1-2 hours on low. Lowfat and tasty! I served it with baked tortilla chips and a dab of guac which I make by mixing avocado and salsa.

o

Here is a link to a whole bunch of recipes suitable for the first phase of the diet. Maybe there is also a link for the 2nd phase; I didn't check

Here is a link that might be useful: 17 day diet recipes

o

I'm glad you posted this. I've gone on the 17 day diet several times over the years, and it is by far the best for very quickly dropping pounds while eating very healthy. It is low carb and low fat. If I'm feeling overstuffed or bloated, after about 5 days on this plan I feel great. . .and I'm 55 so weight typically comes off slowly for me. On phase one I typically eat each day: eggs, turkey/chicken/or fish, lots of fresh veggies/salad, olive oil, Greek yogurt, 2 servings fruit. I'm never hungry and after a few days cravings for sweets and "white" carbs go away. After the first 17 days you start to reintroduce wheat/pasta/rice products.
There's a facebook site dedicated to the diet; if you search for it you'll find it. The moderator has written several cookbooks for the diet and will send them to you for a modest price. I highly recommend them.

o

Is there an online guide to the diet, or is it required to buy the book?

It sounds interesting. SWMBO and I might try it.

o

I think you can figure it out with online posts. I was interested until I saw (from Newsweek) that it was hyped by Dr. Phil on his show and some Dr. show that he also owns...which is produced by his son and his son has a financial interest in this book and some other diet book that they also promoted on Dr. P. It's really basic low cal/low fat/good carb food but if the method "hooks" you into doing it, then it's great. I'm going to do it, but am not giving them my $$ because I think they are being very unethical.

Here is a link that might be useful: dr phil $$$ connection

o

That's my angle. I don't like the commercialization of diets so I don't want to buy a book. But SWMBO, especially, likes an explicitly laid-out set of instructions - and [pinch] seems I could use some too. I'm planning to distill the phases to a sheet of paper and stick that on the fridge.

o

That's my angle. I don't like the commercialization of diets so I don't want to buy a book. But SWMBO, especially, likes an explicitly laid-out set of instructions - and [pinch] seems I could use some too. I'm planning to distill the phases to a sheet of paper and stick that on the fridge.

o

You can no doubt easily figure it out from websites without buying the book. I bought the book, cheap, for my Kindle and do refer back to it every so often, but I don't use the recipes in it. One of the reasons I like the diet it is very easy--no complicated plan and all simple, clean, natural foods.

o

Well, looks like my recipes would only be good for the later cycles. But anyway, you can sub more meat for the beans in the chili and yellow squash for the corn and even add celery. For the dip, use firm tofu instead of the beans and add some lofat feta. That dip also makes a good soup combo, just use chicken and chicken broth instead of beans or tofu, and add a little soy or skim milk to it to make it creamy.

o

This 17 day diet sounds very similar to the "no yeast" diet that BF's son is on. We try to follow it more or less (mostly less, lol!) in sympathy. Here's a great salad that I made for a family gathering. I really like black rice in rice salads. I posted this on the rice cookalong for a photo.

This comes from a blog called A Farm Girl's Dabbles. Quinoa & Black Rice Salad with Cumin & Avocado
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Ingredients

1/2 c. short-grain black rice (or substitute another color of short-grain rice)
1 c. red quinoa, rinsed well (or substitue another color of quinoa)
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
4 T. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. cumin seeds (I just used ground cumin, 1 heaping tsp.)
3 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 c. chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 T. 1" pieces chives
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced into wedges
1 lemon, sliced into wedges
Preparation

Farm Girl's Note: black rice and red quinoa are available at better supermarkets and at natural foods and specialty foods stores. I found mine at Whole Foods.

Bring rice and 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, 25 to 30 minutes.

While the rice is cooking, combine the quinoa, bay leaf, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the quinoa and let it sit in the hot saucepan, covered, for 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Fluff quinoa with a fork.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add this to quinoa. Then add the rice to the quinoa mixture and stir well. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, fresh lemon juice, cilantro, parsley, and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Lpink's notes: This needs to be kicked up a notch. More salt, more dressing, more seasonings, more veggies. I added chopped grape tomatoes and green pepper. (That's why it probably needed more salt, lol!) Could add celery and cuke too, and some nonfat feta.

Serve salad with avocado and lemon wedges.

Source

Slightly adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, November 2011

o

I understand olychick and johnilu, but I don't have time to search the internet for recipes to lose weight. So they got my $9.99 for the book.

I like eating this kind of food so I don't consider it a diet. I also think that the combo of foods at the cycle time metabolizes your bodies system. Reading the material has helped me to be mindful and present in my food choices. The hot glass of lemonwater every a.m. is an example of information you may not find searching the internet.

For me it's been worth it as a reference over the last 5 months. Once you "do" the 3 cycles you can adapt the books recipes to your liking. Or as some have said in this post, low-fat recipes are fine once you do the 3 cycles. Totally doable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here