Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken Stock

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 15:48

When making chicken stock do you cover it or simmer it uncovered? I never know for sure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken Stock

Depends if you want it to reduce or not...I usually cook mine uncovered.....that way no chance of a boil over either.

o

I always cook mine uncovered and at a low simmer to reduce it and concentrate the flavor.

Actually, I rarely cover anything....drives my DH nuts.

o

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Chase, I always wonder why I boil pasta uncovered, and potatoes always covered. And my potatoes always boil over. I should just learn to boil them uncovered. Habits are hard to break though.

o

Chase, I also cook most things uncovered, Elery is constantly putting lids on pots.

I also simmer chicken stock uncovered so it can reduce and intensify, and I do it in my big Nesco roaster, so it cooks all day, usually.

Annie

o

I have always simmered it covered to cook all of the ingredients and then remove the cover to reduce the stock. Probably makes no differance, but just how I do it.

Same with most of the soups or sauces I make.

Dale P

o

I always cover. This will save energy cost. Evaporation will require more heat.

Covering also keeps aroma inside. The wonderful smell in your house is the smell no longer in your stock.

There is no need to make stock by boiling. Simmering and rapid boiling makes no difference in the stock cooking temperature.

dcarch

o

I usually have too much in the pot to cover! But it does make sense that covering would save on energy. Sometimes I use my electric kettle to boil water first and then add to the pot.

I find that if the stock comes to a boil, it ends up cloudy rather than clear...simmering will give you clear broth.

o

Covered. In my pressure cooker. Half hour, done.

o

I can't believe I'm the only one who is a cover it halfway with the lid type of person - because that's the way Mom always did it - that way I get the benefit of reduction and the benefit of keeping aromas in my pot and a little savings on energy costs I presume.

o

I put a lid on things where I want to keep the heat in....as carrots steaming in very little water. I remove the lid from things where I want to concentrate the flavors as in a stock or sauce reduction.....and also those things I want to keep from boiling over....as potatoes or pasta.
I put the lid half on and half off those things that seem to be splattering but I still want to reduce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here