Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need cake recipe for mold pan

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 15:47

Ewww, that sounds terrible, doesn't it? Well, to make a long story short, I will probably be baking my grandson's cake or cakes for his birthday tomorrow. I wasn't expecting to until now. I'm at work now, and don't normally sneak forum time in at work, but I thought I'd post this question now so maybe I'll have an answer by this evening when I need to do the baking.

Is there a special cake recipe for baking in a mold pan? The mold is a face of a cartoon character, some transformer, I think. I've never baked a cake like this before, nor decorated one, either. Yikes. I'd like to make a yellow or white cake, and a chocolate one, as I think one cake from this mold may be too small.

I have a pastry bag and tips that I bought several years ago and haven't ever used. I plan to practice with shortening. Which reminds me - what about frosting? Any recipes for frosting that's easy to work with and isn't too yucky sweet? I have the kids getting cream cheese and butter, to cover the bases.

Thanks,

Sally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need cake recipe for mold pan

Actually a pound cake type recipe works best for anything that's in a more intricate mold. There are good chocolate pound cakes too. I'll look around for recipes I have later if you don't get anything that you want. As far as the icing goes, sure a basic cream cheese icing can work, but it needs to stay pretty stiff. The main thing to remember when wanting to decorate with icing is to keep it fairly stiff so it's easy to work with. Just keep checking when you add the liquid to see the consistency. The recipe below is from Cooks Country and went with a red velvet cake... which might work actually. It has so much cream cheese that it doesn't use milk. I make it with about half the cream cheese and then add milk to get the consistency I want.

Frosting
16 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
16 ounces cream cheese , cut into 8 pieces, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch salt
With electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add cream cheese, one piece at a time, and beat until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Beat in vanilla and salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.

My basic butter cream is a stick of butter per pound of confectioners sugar, flavoring, pinch of salt and then enough milk to get whatever stiffness I need for the application.

o
RE: Need cake recipe for mold pan

Thanks, Coconut. I've copied and pasted your frosting recipe. I plan to make the cake tonight, and work on frosting it tomorrow morning.

I wouldn't have thought of using a pound cake recipe. The mold is not very intricate, luckily. It's a face of a transformer. It's the wrong one, apparently, because he wants Bumblebee, and this is a different character, but I figure I can decorate it yellow and black and he'll be happy. Of course, I don't like the idea of using black around 4 year olds! But what can I do if that's what dgs wants.

Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here