SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Dry Curd Cottage Cheese

donna_loomis
9 years ago

One of "our" traditional German meals - Kase Knephla - calls for dry curd cottage cheese. It has been at least 20 years since we have been able to find it in our area (San Francisco Bay Area). My mother was able to drain and cook regular cottage cheese and seasonings to make a filling similar to the one made with the dry curd. It's close, but not quite "it". I have been searching the web for something similar that can be substituted. Suggestions were pot cheese, farmer's cheese and ricotta. Some even said that you could just drain the cream/milk off of regular cottage cheese. Trust me, that is not even close to dry curd. Neither are the first three suggestions.

Last weekend I even made my own cottage cheese from a recipe I found online, which also suggested that you just not add the half and half or cream, in which case you would have dry curd. Uh, uh. Not even close. Good, but definitely creamy. By the way, a gallon of milk netted me about 3 cups of cottage cheese.

Is one of my favorite dishes lost for me forever? Or is there someone here who can help me figure this out? I know there are places I can order it online, but shipping is usually horrendous because it needs to be refrigerated.

I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas. Thanks.

Comments (5)