Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's For Dinner - #331

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 14:20

Ruthanna, I'll have to look and see if I can find a small bone in ham. Just big enough for a dinner, a breakfast and a few sandwiches. And a bone for soup.

Italian Roast Chicken with homemade Fettuccini.

Burgers with Shoestring fries.

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake using just egg yolks.

Slow Roasted Beef Rib Bones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's For Dinner - #331

Darn it, Ann T ! You've done it again!!! I am sitting here drooling and it's a couple more hours until dinner. I'd like a couple of big bites of everything in all the photos!!!!!

Smiles,
Sooz

o

Hollah!

Beautiful cake and perfect burger..,yum.

Dhs birthday today and was usual rushed and hectic Saturday!

Started with a lobster bisque...sorry I bought but thought you might like the bowls...

photo image-12.jpg

Then Shrimp Scampi over Angel Hair.

photo image-13.jpg

I made Ruthannas tomatoes. Burned but saved and were tasty and great side dish.

photo image-14.jpg

Birthday cake was Boston Cream Pie, his fave. My daughter and I made. Inspired by Ann ts design. Kind of a hot mess but still tasty.

photo image-15.jpg

...seeing this all over my hood these days.

photo image-16.jpg

o

I had one of those moments a week ago while reading through the Nesco Roaster threads. When our local farmers markets start up in the spring, I purchase beets just about every week from my favorite vegetable vendor. Dark red/purple, lighter rose, and golden beets. I love them roasted and used to cook them in my toaster oven until it stopped working. My husband bought a NuWave oven, and it works well for a lot of things. But cooking anything covered in foil simply does not really work. The beets would still be rock hard even after 2 hours of cooking. I despaired of ever eating roasted beets again and stopped buying them.

As I read about all the things people were cooking in their Nesco roasters, it finally hit me that I should "roast" beets. I bought a 6 qt. a while ago (thanks to all the threads on how great they were), and decided to give it a try. I used a Pyrex loaf pan, washed the beets, drizzled them with a bit of olive oil, covered the pan with foil, and stuck it on the Nesco rack. After an hour cooking at 300, they were done. Perfect! Now I can go back to buying beets over & over again, week after week. And I won't be heating up my kitchen.

photo 3a78e11c-d9c9-4183-9830-968ef918b77d.jpg  photo d67f9496-bfbc-48f3-8542-196f8b7c9ade.jpg
 photo ff8c099d-b3e4-4e88-a3ae-9ea044b953d5.jpg

o

Ann, those slow roasted beef bones represent comfort food at its best.
Shambo, that's a great idea. You could even plug it in outside your house.
Maggie, looks like you ended up with a superb birthday feast for your DH. He must have been thrilled.

Best dinner this week was at a restaurant - calves' liver with a lemony, mustardy sauce. I like to order liver when I see it on a restaurant menu because If it's well-prepared, I know everything else probably will be too. DH had shrimp scampi but it didn't have as many shrimp as Maggie's.

One night I wrapped filets with bacon and grilled them. The mushrooms were just harvested that morning.

photo 7d115a38-3b25-4fcf-b6e7-14280954e993_zps9c98670f.jpg

Another night was pork tenderloin and red cabbage. Last time I made it, I used Annie's idea and added diced pears. We liked it so I added a couple of fresh apricots I had on hand and they soon turned purple but added a mellow taste.

photo RedCabbage_zpsec5df1db.jpg

(Edited to try to fix photo problem)

This post was edited by ruthanna on Mon, May 20, 13 at 10:25

o

Maggie, that is a great looking birthday dinner. Love the lobster bisque bowls. So cute. Pasta looks delicious as does the tomatoes. But it is the Boston cream pie that I'm drooling over.

Sue, great idea to use the Nesco. I love beets, especially golden beets.

Ruthanna, I haven't had calves liver in a long time. You always serve the best sides with your dinners.

Green Peppercorn Steak

Grilled Baby Back Ribs

I made meatloaf using my favourite Pork, Garlic and Basil Meatball Mix. Grilled and served with penne.

o

Everything looks so good! I made but didn't photograph a last minute dinner for (plain eating) friends on Friday night. Whole Foods had small chickens (organic non GMO)for $.99 a lb. I had them spatchcock it and bought a few extra BS breastsl, seasoned them with evoo, salt, pepper, lemon and did them all on the grill. I made a quick caprese salad with a balsamic dressing, sides were haricot vert, steamed broccoli and Trader Joe's frozen polenta with carrots & spinach topped with grated parmesan. Dessert was fresh berries with whipped cream *for them and agave yogurt for me.

FYI-- Trader Joe's frozen polenta makes up into a company-worthy casserole for a quick & easy side. I keep a bag on had for last minute meal choices.

Shambo-- my friend drizzles her beets with olive oil, wraps them in foil and puts them on indirect heat on her grill. They roast beautifully and won't heat up the house.

o

Ellen, I've just been thinking that BBQ'd chicken sounds good, I think Elery and I are having that later this week when his new grill comes. It's a cast aluminum grill, charcoal.

Shambo, that's a good idea, doing the beets in the Nesco. I'm going to remember that when I get fresh beets again.

Maggie, I'd eat that Boston Cream Pie without hesitation. The dinner too, LOL, but probably dessert first.

ruthanna, I like liver too, the mustard sauce sounds good with it. The pork and cabbage, though, that really looks good.

Ann T, that steak is perfect, as always.

So, what's for dinner? I've been slacking off on posting, as usual. Elery and I have been packing and moving furniture, so many of our meals are not picture worthy, but we've been eating.

Ashley came over last week and I helped her make the Banana Cake that JGarner posted several years back. It's a Rose Levy Beranbaum recipe. She made it in a sheet pan and added cinnamon buttercream frosting, very yummy and I don't even like bananas very well!

Banana Cake photo IMG_1426.jpg

Banana Cake 2 photo IMG_1421.jpg

I made some hermit bars from King Arthur's website. They were good, moist and chewy, but I'd use dark brown sugar and twice as much of the spices next time. I think some chopped crystallized ginger would be a good addition too.

Hermit Bars photo IMG_1486.jpg

All the talk of baked beans made me hungry, so I made a pot of mayacoba beans. I always try to make extra to make baked beans like this.

Baked Beans Mayacoba photo IMG_1408.jpg

We had some of the beans plain with a snap pea frittata.

Snap Pea Fritatta photo IMG_1481.jpg

Elery really liked the poblanos stuffed with quinoa, so we made some more.

Poblano stuffed with quinoa photo IMG_1374.jpg

I pan roasted some salmon filets and mashed celeriac on the side.

Salmon and Celeriac photo IMG_1477.jpg

Made a rolled rump roast into pot roast with celery, carrots, potatoes, parsnips. I don't care very much for well done beef but Cooper greatly enjoyed it, LOL.

Pot Roast photo IMG_1404.jpg

I baked some coconut shrimp with a whole wheat biscuit on the side and some oven roasted local asparagus.

Coconut Shrimp and Roasted Asparagus photo IMG_1479.jpg

And finally, I made a new recipe tonight, falafel salad. It was in the latest issue of Clean Eating and looked pretty good. It has tomatoes, cucumber, bulgar, greek yogurt, za'atar. I'm thinking it would be outstanding in the summer when the tomatoes and cucumbers are fresh from the garden, but it was still pretty good. We had lamb chops marinated in Jessica's Lime Chipotle marinade and fresh corn on the cob with the salad. Corn was on sale at the local Meijer, 7 ears for $1. I think it was from Texas and it was actually not too bad.

Falafel Salad photo IMG_1487.jpg

And so, you see, I've been eating relatively well...

Annie

o

Ann_t - “Burgers with Shoestring fries.” In general nothing you cook is on a shoestring budget. :-). “Lemon Poppy Seed Cake using just egg yolks.” It looks decadent.

Annie - You sure did eat well. Very nice photos of your dishes.

Compumom - Organic chickens at $ 0.99 a lb? Unbelievable! Here in NY, it more like $4.00 a lb.

Ruthanna - As always, you have such a great way of pairing food.

shambo - Beets are my favorite vegetable. Both the beet greens and the roots.

maggie2094 - That is what I would call a restaurant ready shrimp scampi!

- - - - - - - - - - - - --
A couple of recent dishes:

dcarch

BBQ ribs marinated in smoked Roasted Red Pepper Coulis and Adobo seasoning Dry rubbed
 photo smokedspareribs_zps9d52761f.jpg

photo smokedspareribs3_zps265110da.jpg

Sous vided prime rib with shiitaki mushroom sauce on watercress and rice.
 photo Primeribshiitakimushrooms2_zps071f1bf0.jpg

photo Primeribshiitakimushrooms_zps8d3e0fcf.jpg

o

Just had a pasta salad and hamburger patties for dinner.

But I made a rhubarb cake and a rhubarb pie, so here's the cake. It's a brown sugar, cinnamon and butter topping.

o

I'm not sure if I need to post a pic of the piece, but here it is anyway

o

jasdip, that looks really good, I'd love a piece for breakfast.

dcarch, it's funny, since I broke the display on my camera, my pictures actually seem to be better. (grin) So much for MY photographer's "eye"!

Annie

o

Annie, you have been eating well. Like you I love my beef rare, but I also love a good pot roast.

Dcarch, nice char on the prime rib.

Jasdip, I'd love a piece of your rhubarb cake with my morning coffee.

Hainanese Chicken Rice

Chile Verde Pork Chop with homemade corn tortillas.

Local Cowichan Valley free range lamb shanks.

with roasted garlic.

Steam Halibut wrapped in savoy cabbage leaves with scallions and ginger.

This was good, but I wouldn't make it again. Felt that the ginger and scallions over powered the halibut.

o

Mm mom, everything looks and sounds soooo good.

We had an awful dinner at friends' house last week. They've crossed over to the "dark side" of healthy eating with a meal of various inedible foodstuffs that were supposed to be organic, sustainable, high in anti-oxidants, would reduce our carbon footprint, cleansing, good for our bones, blood pressure, and any ailment we have or may have in the future. Every bite was accompanied by a lecture on why we should try to choke it down without gagging. Tasting good was not part of the equation, I guess.

We needed a shot of comfort food after that experience so I made onion soup with hoagie-type sandwiches on baguettes baked by a neighbor. We traded the soup and bread.

photo hoagie_zps4e17556a.jpg

Large Limas baked in molasses and spiced rum, buttered rice and salad with bacon and blue cheese.

photo BakedBeans_zpsa8c8e097.jpg

Sauteed beef and vegetables in a light ginger sauce - over saffron rice.

photo SteakandVeg_zpsf7ef3672.jpg

One night was stuffed eggplant, Vidalia onions and tomatoes.

photo Stuffed_zps886c0e85.jpg

o

Inspired by Ann's green peppercorn sauce with beef steak, I made a chicken piccata (sort of) with green peppercorns. It turned out to be a perfect low sodium meal. In fact I was so happy with the results, that I made it again last night. the only difference was that I added some chopped rosemary and sun-dried tomatoes to the sauce. Of course, both times, I forgot to add lemon zest and chopped parsley. But it didn't matter, still very tasty.

photo e9bbf384-0e46-4991-beb5-d70249633fb0.jpg

o

Everyone's food looks so pretty. It got a little chilly and dreary yesterday so we had Ugly But Good cream of morel soup, cheese biscuits and the rhubarb cream pie I promised DH for his birthday two weeks ago.

o

Katie, I would love a bowl of your soup with a cheese biscuit. Comfort food.

Sue, your chicken piccata looks delicious. Green peppercorns are wonderful with pork tenderloin too.

One of Moe's breakfasts this week.

Jacques Torres's Chocolate Chunk Cookies with the addition of toasted walnuts and sea salt.

Grilled boneless chicken breasts with homemade pasta. This is a really simple dinner, perfect for a work night. Takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.

~Ann

o

Ruthanna, I just have to know what they served. It sounds downright scary!
And all the pics on here look downright drool-worthy. I want some of all of it! Well, except for the eggplant, not a fan. :o)
Shambo, did you make our own salt-free chicken stock for the piccata sauce? I am going to try it with green peppercorns as well, those darn capers have lots of sodium, just like olives.

o

Petra, I must admit that I did not use homemade chicken broth. I keep a couple of cartons of either Swanson's or Kitchen Basics NO-SALT-ADDED chicken broth in my pantry. (By the way, I'm not mad at anyone. The caps are intended to emphasize that the broths are no-salt-added not just low sodium. Even the low sodium broths are too high in sodium content for my husband's requirements.)

The great thing about Ann's method of using green peppercorns is that the quick boil in broth and subsequent soak, softens them. So you don't risk breaking a tooth. (Although, green peppercorns are more crispy to start with than hard -- not like the black ones.) And the peppery bite is mellowed even further.

Count me as another one who would love to hear what Ruthanna was served. I sympathize, though. I know a few people who can talk incessantly about the benefits of the food they're eating, so much so, that there is no give and take in the conversation and the actual shared meal is not enjoyable.

o

I'd also love to know what they served, it sounds far too "healthy" for my liking, LOL. That seems to be the worst insult to my cooking: "That tastes really.....healthy."

I try to use fresh, local ingredients, keep the salt level down, eat far more vegetables than meats, make sure food is nutritious as well as tasting good. Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes I'm not and sometimes I just need pie, healthy or no.

Right now, though, I really want Ann T's stacked enchiladas. The pork chop looks good, but it reminds me of those green sauced enchiladas, which are what really sounds good right now.

Annie

o

The main course was unsalted, unseasoned meatballs of ground chicken breast in a sauce of yogurt, 2 Tbs. each of powdered tumeric and cinnamon and puréed kale. This was served over spaetzle made with quinoa flour and cooked in unsweetened pomegranate, cranberry and blueberry juices and cider vinegar. That should give you a basic idea.

o

Sounds disgusting. I don't mind eating something I don't like. But I refuse to eat something that I have to "gag" down.

I think I would turn down any future dinner invitations.

~Ann

o

Oh, my! I make no-salt-added meatballs all the time.But they're definitely seasoned with other herbs & spices, and I try to add a flavorful low sodium sauce. When I first started reading the sauce ingredients, I thought it was going to be curry-like. But the quantity of cinnamon and the kale definitely changed my mind. The quinoa spaetzle cooked in those unsweetened fruit juices sounds abominable. And why you would need vinegar when you've got super tart pomegranate & cranberry juices is totally beyond me.

I'm with Ann. I, too, would turn down future dinner invitations. I can think of a lot more tasty ways to include yogurt, cinnamon, berry juice, kale, quinoa, and vinegar in my diet.

o

Well, first, Katie, that soup and biscuit looks delicious, it was cool here yesterday and it would have been perfect.

Ruthanna, that sounds abominable. Like Ann T, I'll eat things that I don't particularly care for but there are some things I just couldn't eat. That sounds like it might fit the description.

I wouldn't accept many dinner invitations from them, I'm afraid. If they are good friends and you enjoy their company I'd go for a show or ball game or something that didn't involve their cooking!

Annie

o

Yuck, that "healthy" dinner sound revolting. I agree with everyone who advised to avoid future dinner invitations.

o

Not really what's for dinner. More like what's for breakfast tomorrow. I made the cornmeal waffle recipe from KAF that Annie recommended. I've been using another recipe but wanted to give this a try. I really like the crunch of cornmeal waffles, especially made with Bob's Red Mill medium grind cornmeal. I omitted the salt and savory additions and used both sodium-free baking powder and baking soda. I snitched some of the weird bits that end up at the waffle edge, and the taste is very good.

I cooled them & then packaged them in a freezer bag. My husband always is up at least 2 hours before I am, so I try to keep the freezer stocked with easy to fix breakfast goodies. That way I can keep on snoozing.

photo edafd62a-e080-4e09-adc1-b27cfedf94e8.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: King Arthur Flour Cruncy Cornmeal Waffles

o

Sue, perfect waffles. The cornmeal waffles are on my list to try. Thank you for sharing that you make and freeze waffles. I've been doing the same thing. Moe likes having waffles in the freezer too. Although, he doesn't get them himself. :-)

~Ann

o

Sue, those look perfect, crunchy and delicious.

I also put waffles in the freezer, they heat up so well in the toaster, stay crunchy and are fast on those mornings (or even afternoons), when I need something in a hurry.

They also make a pretty decent sandwich...

Annie

o

Last night we had Escargot in Mushroom Caps.

And I made cornbread waffles for breakfast this morning.

I used my favourite cornbread recipe and just thinned it out a bit with a little extra milk.

Another night we had Roast Chicken with potatoes, peppers, onions and garlic.

o

Last week, our church had an event and my contribution was 18 boxes worth of Jello jigglers of various shapes and flavors. They were as popular as ever with the kids.

The only photo I took was of veal piccata made with ground veal meatballs. They had a very delicate flavor and texture.

photo VealBalls_zpsa0990bba.jpg

o

Veal Meatballs "Piccata". What a great idea Ruthanna. Might have to steal it.

Portuguese 'Style" Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with a Piri Piri sauce.

Cream Cheese Danish Twist with Callebaut Milk Chocolate.

I still have the better part of a whole lamb in the freezer. Used the lamb riblets in a Greek dinner with traditional sides of rice, potatoes and salad.

o

Wow, everyone's food just looks and sounds so amazing!

I really need to get back to taking pics of my food (then figure out how to post them again).

Really enjoying seeing what you are all making for dinner! Giving me lots of inspiration.

Cooking has been hit and miss and not really worth posting about. Death in the family, busy with Farmer's Market, and trying to get yardwork done, along with housework.
I am always lurking though!

o

Shelley, You are a busy gal. Sorry about the death in your family.

When you get back to taking photos, if you have any problem figuring out how to post, I'll be happy to help.

~Ann

o

Ann_t - Great looking Portuguese 'Style" Grilled Chicken Sandwiches

Ruthanna - I don’t remember have had veal piccata made with ground veal meatballs. Yours inpired me to want to give it a try.

Katiec - cream of morel soup, cheese biscuits and the rhubarb cream pie, what an incredible meal! Considering morels are $100 a lb, and rhubarb $8.50 a lb here in NY.

Shambo - that is a very tasty looking chicken piccata .

Jasdip - Very professional looking rhubarb cake.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Three recent studies of making chicken “Slow and Low”

dcarch

Sous Vide chicken with squash
 photo chickenthighsquash2_zps5adfc551.jpg

White Cut Chicken with Bok Choy
 photo Smokedchickenoystermushrooms2_zps2e771150.jpg

Smoked Chicken with Ramps
 photo rampschicken_zpsca390da6.jpg

o

I rarely post non-food pictures but this is vaguely food related. DH and I went to our town's Rose Garden for a walk early this morning. I liked these roses, which were medium yellow as buds and then lightened significantly as they bloomed. When I checked for their variety, it was Julia Child!

photo RG3_zps1bfa078c.jpg

It was a beautiful place to start the day when one of our local farmers' markets (Thursdays only, 4-7 P.M.) opens for the season. I'm expecting to see loads of strawberries.

photo RG6_zpsadc98455.jpg

o

Ruthanna, those are beautiful. Roses were Grandma's favorite, she got them all from Jackson and Perkins, one every year. She knew every name, from Peace and Blaze to Golden Slippers and Mr. Lincoln. Our back yard always smelled heavily of Grandma's rose garden.

OK, so what's for dinner? Elery and I went out for lunch today to a place called the Crooked Goose. He had a burger, which is unusual for him, he doesn't eat much beef, but it was very good. Local Michigan beef with a sauce made of bourbon and local maple syrup. I had a chicken pot pie, puff pastry crust and lots of vegetables. It included fresh local asparagus and was good but I thought the puff pastry needed a bit more cooking, it wasn't as crunchy in the middle as I'd like it.

After that we made a Penzey's run, bought some wild caught sockeye salmon and assorted vegetables at Horrock's, made our first trip to Costco. Costco isn't as prevalent here as the ubiquitous Sam's Club, but they finally have two in Grand Rapids, so we had to check them out.

Tomorrow we have a full day's work at the farm so I'll put some pinto beans in the crockpot and we'll have those with some cornbread when we get home.

Annie

o

Ruthanna, the rose garden is so beautiful. Yellow roses are my favourite. Nice way to start the day.

Annie, I think I would have had the chicken pot pie too. The idea of maple syrup on a burger doesn't appeal to me.

The last couple of times Moe and I were in Victoria, we have had breakfast/lunch at a little, and I mean little Mexican restaurant. There are just two tables for four and a couple of stools on a wall counter. The Tequila House does a much bigger take out/catering business. The restaurant is a family business, mom, dad and two young daughters from Acapulco. Everything is made fresh, from scratch.

An interesting concept, the Mexican restaurant is sharing space with a fish and chip restaurant. Tequila House is open from 8:00 am until 3:00 pm. Then they close and the Gosworth Fish and Chips opens at 4:00 for the evening shift.

I love the Tequila House's chicken rice soup and after having it the first time, I came home and made my own version. The soup is basically homemade chicken broth, chicken breast and rice and just before serving it is garnished with fresh chopped tomato, onion, a piece of chipotle pepper, avocado, cubes of Monterrey Jack cheese, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. The name of this soup is Caldo Tlapeño.

I could eat this soup every day.

We had this soup for a late lunch on Wednesday so I never made what had been planned for dinner.

So we had grilled pork chops for breakfast on Thursday.

And dinner was homemade pizza. I started the dough in the morning. This was a wet dough (77% hydration). Given one rise and then refrigerated until about 4:00. Removed from the fridge and left on the counter for two hours to come to room temperature.

Topped with sausage and mushrooms.

The crust was wonderful if I do say so myself.

This post was edited by ann_t on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 11:13

o

Ann T, that crust does look wonderful. The "shared restaurant" concept is interesting, I think it's a good one. Overhead costs (other than personnel) would be halved, making a place more profitable.

Shelly, I'm sorry about the death in your family, I forgot to add that. Hugs to all of you.

Annie

o

Dcarch, your chicken dishes are so attractive. I would love to try the one with the ramps. When I visited the fish market this week, I thought of you because they had skate, which they don't usually carry.

photo Fish_zps516e6c88.jpg

Ann, your pizza looks wonderful. To a soup lover like me, your soup would be more desirable than a big steak.

Last night's dinner was a variation of Rachel Ray's spitfire shrimp, wax beans with browned butter and a salad of black beans, tomato and avocado with a basaltic vinaigrette.

photo Spitfire_zpsa2f390b8.jpg

As predicted, lovely solid red strawberries at the farmers' market so made my Nana's hot milk sponge cake and ended up with this as our tea time treat.

photo 0d34ac61-4517-47b3-94cf-ddcb910b4c2f_zps25e0c5aa.jpg

o

Ruthanna - I love skate. And I rarely see it for sale in markets here in Minnesota. When my older sister lived in Philly I would visit often. I always went to the fish market and got skate.

Teresa

o

Ruthanna, I am sitting here thinking that your strawberry cake would make a wonderful breakfast.

The fish in your market seems to be priced well.

~Ann

o

Dcarch, your chicken looks so good!

Ann, that soup looks so good and your pizza crust is perfect. Hmmm you had pork chops for breakfast and you'd like Ruthanna's shortcake for breakfast too. Are you flipping your meals upside down? :)

Ruthanna, I never know what to do with avocados and I like the idea of your salad. Your meals are always so healthy. The strawberry shortcake is perfect. Our strawberries aren't ready yet. We've had a pretty cool spring.

I made pork chops with a honey/soy sauce and ginger glaze. The only way my brown rice turns out is in the oven, so we had that, with chopped carrots and onions and chicken broth and seasonings.

o

No strawberries here yet either, I keep waiting, thinking it should be any time but not yet....

I never used to like avocado, but the only way I'd ever eaten it was as guacamole at a chain restaurant whose name I cannot remember, for some reason. I probably wanted to forget.....

At any rate, now I like avocado very much and my favorite way to eat it is just mashed up on toast instead of butter. I haven't seen nice avocados here lately, I'll have to look harder.

jasdip, your dinner looks delicious.

Elery and I went out for dinner for our anniversary, only about a month late, we've been busy. We took my Mother and went to a restaurant near her home. She had lake perch, French fries and green beans. Elery had lake perch, smashed potatoes and green beans. I had smelt, love the little crunchy fishes, eaten with fins/tails/bones intact and dunked into cocktail sauce instead of tartar sauce.

Annie

o

Jasdip, I would trade any dinner for yours. Everything looks great.

Annie, I'm glad you and Elery finally got a chance to celebrate your anniversary with an enjoyable dinner.

Ann, except for the skate, prices per lb. are for whole fish and the filleted larger ones like salmon or haddock are more expensive. They'll fillet the whole ones or do them pan-ready but we have to buy the whole fish. I ended up with a sea bass.

Our summer church festival is coming up this weekend so I made the favorite church festival food of my youth this past weekend - veal cacciatore sandwiches.

photo VealCac2_zps01ceb207.jpg

Another night was grilled ham steak and the first local rainbow chard of the season.

photo HamChard_zps9c360b4d.jpg

o

Jasdip, your dinner looks delicious. At first look, I thought you had butternut squash in the rice.

I've always preferred the non traditional breakfast. Moe loves eggs. I'd rather having something "sweet".

Ruthanna, I've never had a Veal cacciatore sandwich. Great idea.

Dana, was working up Island last week and stopped in for dinner Friday night. We had pasta with

with focaccia.

Saturday night's dinner - Lettuce Cups

And Sunday Night

Homemade Halibut Fish and Chips with a few battered Spot Prawns too. With a homemade Dill Tartar Sauce.

o

Thanks Ann T and Annie1992!

Jasdip your pork chop dinner looks wonderful. Been ages since I've had pork chops. My son doesn't care for them that much, so I haven't bought them in awhile.

Ruthanna, I'd love to have that veal cacciatore sandwich...yum!

Ann T, I'd be happy with any one of your meals! Spot prawns were VERY expensive this year, and it was a very short season, so unfortunately I missed out. Yours look wonderful!

Have really been enjoying our Farmer's Market this year. Lots of new vendors including a flour lady. Bought some blue corn flour that I need to figure out what to do with, as well as some Masa Harina flour.

Going to try making corn tortillas one more time. Third time will be the charm (I hope)!

Last night I roasted a chicken on the pellet smoker. Roasted some baby potatoes along side, sautéed some asparagus and swiss chard with brown butter and lemon juice, and made a salad of spring greens, spinach, shaved carrot, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, blueberries, pear, and goat cheese. Was a very nice summer meal!

Earlier in the week I made a frittata with swiss chard, baby tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and sausage. Love making frittata's for dinner, as it's a great way to clean out the fridge!

o

Oh my Lordy, I have to stop coming here! ann t, can I just come live with you?

o

Shelley, I'm glad your market continues to grow and be successful.

I wish we had a local flour lady. I would love to make blue corn tortillas. There is a little Mexican grocery store in Victoria. It is where I buy Masa harina. I'll look next time I'm there to see if they carry the blue.

I'm sure your smoked chicken was delicious.

We had roast chicken last night too. I roasted chicken breasts and made a sauce with the drippings and green peppercorns. Also made individual corn custards.

o

Caminnc..I totally agree with you. Would love to live with everyone posting to this thread!

Ann_t I'm going to send you some! (it's market day tomorrow).
What is the difference between Masa harina and blue corn flour? Can the blue corn flour be used interchangeably? Can you please post the link to your corn tortilla recipe again? Thank you so much. Hopefully with any luck you will get the flour by the weekend!

o

Thanks Caminnc :-)

Shelley, that would be wonderful. I don't know if there is much of a difference. I'll have to do some homework.

We actually had Mexican for dinner tonight. Pork (Carnitas) with homemade corn tortillas and a pitcher of sangria.

o

Last night's leftover corn tortillas and salsa became breakfast.

Migas

o

Ann T, would you be able to tell me what you used to batter the halibut. That is the type of batter that I've been looking for, for a long time. Your pics (actually, everyone's pics) are so inspiring!

Thank you!

o

LLVV, here is the recipe that I use. I used beer in the batter rather than soda water.

I sometimes add egg yolks to this batter. I did NOT add the egg yolks for the fish batter.

Tempura Style Batter

Adapted from Gardenguru (Joe)

1 cup flour

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking powder

Salt and pepper

Soda Water or beer

NOTE: Depending on what I am using the batter for, I sometimes add one or two egg yolks.
Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt and pepper together. Add enough soda water (or beer) to make a batter that is slightly thinner than a pancake batter. Note: I prefer a thinner, crispy, tempura style batter, for a thicker batter use less soda water.

o

Thank you so much Ann T.!!! :-)

o

I copied and pasted, too. Thanks Ann!

o

Ann, so long as you continue posting your photos I will continue to compliment them. I always enjoy them. They are exceptionally well done. Of course, it begins with great subject matter.

ssomerville, masa harina and corn flour are different products. Masa harina is dried, ground masa. Masa is made from corn by a process called nixtamalization, in which corn is treated with lye or other alkali as in making hominy. I won't try to give the details here. You can look it up. Anyway, I don't think any corn flour can be subbed for masa harina.

Jim

o

ann_t Sorry, you're going to have to wait one more week for the flour. She wasn't at the market today. She'll be there next week for sure! So I will get and send then. Sorry. Didn't realize she was only at market every two weeks.

I also copied and pasted your batter recipe. Thank you!

o

OK, I suppose it's time to catch up!

today Elery smoked a turkey on his new grill. While he was doing that I sautéed onions, garlic, fresh corn cut from the cob, a minced jalapeno and some local asparagus that was getting limp in the fridge. I also made a multi-grain pilaf.

Smoked Grilled Turkey photo IMG_1601.jpg

Turkey w sauteed corn photo IMG_1603.jpg

Elery's been busy using that grill, last week we had chicken

photo IMG_1522.jpg

and one night we had burgers from my grass fed beef, along with some potatoes, also on the grill:

Burgers photo IMG_1580.jpg

Corn has been good, it's from Texas, and about 20 cents an ear, so we had it a couple of times.

One night I pan fried some pork chops and we had baked potatoes and some home canned pink half runner beans:

Pork Chop photo IMG_1576.jpg

I roasted some fresh Costa Rican Terrazu coffee to go with the peach/raspberry cobbler. Yeah, it was breakfast for me, LOL.

Costa Rican Terrazu photo IMG_1599.jpg

Peach Raspberry Cobbler photo IMG_1590.jpg

Since I seem to be overwhelmed with my "daily dozen" eggs, I made quiche with a crust made from that same multi-grain blend I had for supper tonight, and added broccoli, onions, tomatoes, cheese (for Elery, he's gotta have it, LOL),

Quiche with multi grain crust photo IMG_1578.jpg

That was supper, not breakfast, maybe I just have it backwards but I'd rather have dessert and coffee for breakfast and eggs for supper!

Annie

o

Annie, thanks for the reminder that we haven't had quiche for a while. Yours looks terrific. Elery is becoming quite the Grillmeister. That smoked turkey is a beauty.

Yesterday, we had severe thunderstorms all day so DH and I stayed in and cranked out eight Brownie Pizzas for the bake sale booth of our church's summer festival this weekend. Yeah, I know, but as former actor spouse always tells me, "Play to your audience.".

photo BrPizza_zps80e00ae6.jpg

Last night's dinner was broiled chopped sirloin patties topped with chimichurri. Tea time treat was ricotta cookies from the Italian bakery.

photo ChopSteak_zps07ad42d5.jpg

This post was edited by ruthanna on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 10:57

o

ruthanna, you should definitely play to your audience, and I think the brownie pizza looks delectable, I'd eat it in an instant. Oh, and the dinner looks good too. (grin)

Annie

o

Annie1992, looks like Elery is making great use of the new grill! Turkey and chicken looks wonderful. Love your coffee roaster! Still trying to source out green beans, so I can at least try it in my popcorn maker!

Ruthanna, LOVE your brownie pizzas! Great idea for a festival, love that you're putting them in pizza boxes! Very cool!

o

jimster thank you so much for that info! I thought there must be a difference, but wasn't 100% sure. So does that mean blue corn flour can't be used to make corn tortillas?

o

Thanks Jim. Shelley it is possible to make a tortilla using the blue corn flour. But the blue corn flour needs to be mixed with regular flour.

~Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Corn Tortillas

o

Thanks ann t for the link!

I bought the Flour cookbook and Flour, too cookbook. Really enjoying the latter one.

Dinner tonight is an egg sandwich, from the book. Their eggs are mixed with 1/2 and 1/2 and baked in a water bath, then cut, so they can be made ahead and reheated without losing texture. The focaccia bread recipe from the book is turned into buns. This was a fabulous dough to work with. It contains 1/2 olive oil, so depending on the type of evoo, can taste different every time it's made. I will be making this bread recipe again and again! Even son commented on how good the bread was.

I also made their brioche recipe, which I froze after letting it rise in the fridge overnight. This also handled really well. They use it as a pizza crust, which I am looking forward to trying!

There are some great recipes in both books and I can't wait to try more of them out!
I tweeted that I was making the dough, and the author responded to my tweet, even though I hadn't tweeted to her directly. Thought that was quite cool :)

o

Annie that smoked turkey looks so good. Would love a toasted club house sandwich with smoked turkey and your homemade bacon.

Ruthanna, I bet your pizzas sold out quickly.

Recent meals.

Burger

Roast Strip Loin with zucchini and a stuffed zucchini blossom.

Pork fried rice.

Caprese Salad

Grilled European Weiners.

o

Ann, you are truly an artist when it comes to food photographs. Your food and your photos are a joy to view. The caprese salad makes me crave home-grown tomatoes but they're not ready yet.

Our church festival was a success and did sell all 600 dozen pierogies we made earlier. Lines were longest for bleenies (potato pancakes). My favorite was the meatball sandwiches.

Last week, we went on that Secret Treasures Tour of small businesses off the beaten path so lunch was our main meal of most days. One day, we visited an old (built in 1801) country hotel/bar/restaurant and had the best snapper soup I've tasted in years. Deep rich snapper broth and served with the traditional little carafe of sherry on the side.

Getting back to cooking dinners, the best of the bunch was beans 'n' greens baked in the bean pot and served with chicken saltimbocca. The dark spot under the prosciutto is a sage leaf.

photo ChSalt_zpsb49211ff.jpg

o

Grill night - pork chip steak skewers with spicy peach grilling sauce, potatoes rubbed with bacon grease and roasted in foil on the grill, carrot ribbons and asparagus with ginger-lime butter

photo PeachGrill_zpsc9fa79c6.jpg

o

Ann, I'd like to blow that picture of the caprese up and put it on my kitchen wall, it's beautiful. I'd rather eat the beef, of course, (grin) but it's beautiful.

Ruthanna, Elery and I both would love the beans and greens, we had beans tonight ourselves, and we have them a couple of times a week, usually. It's a regular meal for us.

Here I made some grill glaze based with some espresso balsamic vinegar that I had in the cupboard. We used it to glaze some chicken thighs on the grill:

Espresso Balsamic Glaze photo IMG_1610.jpg

We had those with some stuffed poblanos and baked potatoes:

Espresso Chicken & Stuffed Poblanos photo IMG_1613.jpg

I made some hummus and toasted flatbreads for dipping:

Hummus photo IMG_1611.jpg

Bud and Makayla spent a couple of nights and Makayla roasted some coffee for me:

Rwandan Beans Roasted photo IMG_1625.jpg

We made some test baked goods to figure out what she would enter in the fair, sweet cherry hand pies and peanut butter chocolate chip scones:

Sweet Cherry Hand Pies photo IMG_1635.jpg

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scone photo IMG_1634.jpg

Elery loves salad so I mixed up some yogurt with honey and Dijon mustard and dressed a salad.

Salad with Honey Mustard Yogurt Dressing photo IMG_1644.jpg

The first radishes are ready in the garden, so I added those:

Fresh Radishes photo IMG_1642.jpg

I picked some herbs from my herb garden and rubbed chicken breasts with olive oil and some fresh rosemary, parsley, tarragon, thyme and oregano, then Elery grilled it:

Grilled Herb Chicken photo IMG_1646.jpg

We had some burgers on the grill with homemade buns:

Grilled Burgers on Homemade Buns photo IMG_1650.jpg

Some meals that didn't get pictures were tonight's beans, the pizza I made while the kids were here, some strawberry shortcake, and chocolate chip pancakes. We haven't starved.....

Annie

o

Here is my new standard way of roasting chicken. What I do when I don't have any other ideas and need to get dinner on the table with reasonable speed.

Debone chicken which I can now do in 4 minutes, thank you Monsieur Pepin. Salt both inside (meat side) and outside (skin side). Douse with this "mesquite seasoning mix" that came from Costco - basically salt, pepper, herbs, dehydrated garlic and onion and so on. Cut some rosemary from the bush that is taking over the patio, lay it on a half sheet pan. Place the chicken on the rosemary, meat side down. Roast in a preheated 425 oven until breast meat temps at 140-150F. Or, switch to broiler when breast temps at 120-130F and broil briefly. Cut up with scissors and serve.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Thanks Ruthanna. I feel the same way about your meals. You also have the most interesting sides. I really need to cook more beans. I only think to cook them when I'm making Mexican.

Annie, I love that picture of Makayla roasting the coffee beans.

John, beautiful roasted chickens.

My friend and neighbour Barb was home this week. She works out of province and only gets home for a week every four to six weeks. And when she is home we usually have a few meals together.

I promised her homemade pizza. I made two.

One with fresh mozzarella topped with pepperoni and fresh basil and the other mushroom, pepperoni and black olive.

Saturday night Clif picked up Dungeness crab for me to cook.

Roasted with lots and lots of garlic, butter, olive oil and black pepper.

And for dessert

Ice cream Sundaes

with chocolate and caramel sauces.

Hot Chicken Sandwiches

Lemony Dill Chicken Soup

Bean Sprouts with Pork

This post was edited by ann_t on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 13:22

o

Better late than never, I hope. I finally made the kreatopita I promised my husband for Father's Day. (I don't feel badly, though. My daughter made a triple batch of stuffed grape leaves for him, so he hasn't exactly suffered.)

I use fillo from Trader Joe's, and it was very difficult to work with. The sheets tore every time I tried to pick one up. Or they stuck together. I don't think I got more than 6 sheets that resembled whole sheets. But I followed my mother's and grandmother's advice -- just patch things together and forge ahead. I often used Pam spray between the "layers" because they couldn't handle brushing with olive oil.

When I got done, I brushed a thick layer of melted butter on the top and around the edges. Usually I score the top layers of fillo so the cut pieces would look nicer and the crisp fillo won't shatter. But I was so frustrated that I just stuck the pita in the oven and baked away.

It wasn't a perfect looking pita, but it sure tasted good. To make it slower sodium, I didn't add any salt to the meat sauce and used only half of the normal feta amount. I added a tablespoon of wine vinegar to the sauce for some spark.

My husband was happy, and that's what was important. We both have a weakness for pita, so we finished it off in two days.

Resize - 240 photo bb02c407-f47e-42b8-ae1c-c9a090f14877.jpg

o

Shambo, the kreatopita looks delicious and perfect to me.

Ann_t, Wow! I will come clean your house if you invite me to have a taste of that crab dish.

John, Congratulations! That is a very successful roasted chicken.

Annie, it’s a shame that most parents don’t teach their kids how to cook. I see everyone in your family turn into great home chefs.

Ruthanna, superb pork chip steak skewers, nicely plated.

Jasdip, that’s a very nice and healthy combination of ingredients on you glazed pork chop dish.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Not sure what I have made.

Basically Scungilli on Spaetzle with fennel sauce.

dcarch

photo scungillispaetzle3.jpg

photo Scungillispaetzle2b.jpg

o

We picked strawberries this morning and I made bread, and rolls for a change instead of my usual 2 loaves of bread. There were more rolls, but I had already given some away to my neighbour and hubby sampled one before I thought to take pics.

A roll and fresh strawberries and cream. Yum!

o

Salmon was marinated in pear cider, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice. Crusted with nuts and rosemary and olive oil, baked (in the toaster oven because it is so hot). Beet greens were wilted in duck fat. Quinoa was mixed with the fish marinade (that was first cooked down and thickened) then balled. It was okay but I over cooked the fish a bit :-(

This was my TV dinner - Tour de France time so eating meals in front of the TV.

o

Jasdip, the bread looks delicious.

John, I never thought of marinating or brining salmon in fruit juice or cider, what a good idea. I also love beet greens, so I'd be happy.

Here it's a lot of fast food, cold sandwiches and snacks. I have Madi while Ashley is in the hospital, it's going on 4 days now. Makayla has ballet camp this week and I'm driving her back and forth to Grand Rapids, which gives me a chance to visit Ashley in the neo-natal unit down there anyway. We're working on the kitchen and it's torn apart, so I come here to drool on the keyboard and think about when I'm in a position to cook again.

Annie

o

It's been a while since my last rap session. But as usual, everything looks delicious.

I'll have to contribute something, soon. Ha.

AnnieB, sorry to hear about your girl. I'll email you.

Sol

o

Shambo, from the photo, you'd never guess that you had persnickety phyllo. It looks delicious.

I like the idea of using fennel for a sauce. Thanks for another idea to try, Dcarch.

Jasdip, those rolls would be perfect with summer soups.

Annie, sorry to read about Ashley. I hope they'll get a diagnosis and get her fixed up soon.

John, your salmon creation puts my hot weather salmon to shame.

I've been volunteering at our PA Dutch Folk Festival all week and will continue through Sunday so main meal has been lunch most days. It's been hot here so poached some salmon early yesterday morning and we had it chilled last night, with minted zucchini strings and a salad.

photo SalmonPoach_zps9ef1e56f.jpg

Dinner tonight was a quart of beef vegetable soup I brought home from one of the Grange groups at the festival. They add a couple of pigs' feet to their beef broth, which gives it a very rich flavor. Teatime treat tonight will be black cherry Italian water ice I made last night.

o

Jasdip, Beautiful loaf and rolls.

John, Interesting crust on your salmon.

Sue, I like the idea of your kreatopita. Is the recipe on your website?

Ruthanna, Good idea to poached the salmon early and serve it cold. We are finally having hot summer days. Your dinner would be perfect.

Top Sirloin Cap with Twice Baked Potaotes.

Tofu for lunch one day.

Bake Day

Baguettes

Pizzettas with different toppings.

Toasted Peameal Bacon and tomato sandwiches on homemade baguette

o

Ann - that's a beautiful photo of the tofu. I love that green plate! I've never eaten tofu that way before - in a big chunk right out of the package. I usually cube it and toss it with the dressing/sauce and let it sit so it can absorb the flavors.

No photo of last night's dinner but I enjoyed the first ripe tomatoes of the year! My salad consisted of oakleaf lettuce from the garden, cubes of browned queso blanco cheese and a cilantro lime vinaigrette - topped off with 4 Sun Gold, 1 Lemon Drop, 2 Isis Candy, and 1 Chocolate Cherry tomatoes. I saved the small bowl of Tri Star strawberries I picked for breakfast this morning. This is all so amazing since our last measurable snowfall in the Minneapolis area was 50 days ago.

o

So hot and humid the past week or so. We've been eating cold sides, and I've been trying new ones.

Chicken marinated in lime, cumin, jalapeno and browned in the skillet.
Quinoa is the star of the side, along with corn, carrots, yellow pepper, onion with a dressing of lime juice, chipotle peppers, chili powder, olive oil and garlic. They're both keepers.

o

Jasdip, that looks so yummy! I'd love your recipe for the quinoa.

We had the first okra from the garden last night. Only a few pods, breaded and skillet fried until crisp, along with green beans, mashed potatoes, some tomatoes, cucumbers and onion, chopped, with vinegar...OMG, it was wonderful! Everything except the potatoes were from the garden. We have potatoes from the garden but had a couple of russets that needed to be used. Love those fresh veggies! It was just DD#3 and me, since DH is still in rehab recovering from his sroke in May. BTW, he is doing so well, walking a little, with some assistance. Prayers do get answered!

jude

o

I love looking at the pics on What's for dinner they all look scrumptious. Hubby loves sushi so I thought I would try making something a bit more fancy for him. My first dragon roll.

o

Nice CLBlakey. Looks very professional.

Jasdip, your dinner looks perfect for a hot summer day.

Got a good deal on Dungeness crab. Bought six and we had dinner with Clif. Pigged out on Crab.

Went to the Farmer's Market on my way to work Saturday.

Dinner Saturday night.

Diner Food - Hot Hamburger Sandwich with homemade fries.

Lahmacun ( Turkish Pizza)

And Lavash Crackers made from leftover Lahmacun dough.

o

Ann I notice you cook your crab whole -- steamed or boiled? I love dungeness but am having a hard time bringing myself to cook one.

o

CLBlakey, I steamed them just long enough to partially cook and then they are finished off in a 500° F oven with lots of fresh garlic, (two heads minced) with butter, olive oil and lots of black pepper. They roast for another 15 minutes, turning often.

After steaming for 5 or 6 minutes, I run them under cold water so they are cool enough to handle and then I prepare them to roast. I also take a rubber mallet and crack the legs so it is easier to pick out the meat.

If you haven't cooked or cleaned a Dungeness Crab before, check out the link I've included. Good simple instructions.

This is my favourite way to serve Dungeness Crab. Note the recipe calls for steaming for 12 minutes. But I just steam for about 6 minutes and finish in the oven.

Roasted Garlic and Black Pepper Crab
Garlic Roasted Dungeness Crab
=============================
Adapted from Tra Vigne Restaurant
Dungeness crab should be alive when it goes into the boiling water; the crab has more flavor if you don’t clean it before you cook it.

2 live Dungeness crabs
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh garlic
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Put in the live crabs. Cook for 12 minutes. (The crab is only partially cooked because it will be oven-roasted; it takes 15 - 20 minutes, depending on the size, to fully cook Dungeness crab.) Remove the crab from the boiling water, and run it under cold water to cool it down. When the crab is cool enough to handle, remove the back, gills, and guts. With cold running water, carefully rinse off any guts that are sticking to the crab meat. (The crab may be made ahead to this point and refrigerated for 24 hours).

Preheat the oven to 500 °F.

Break the crab bodies in half down the center. With your hands, carefully remove the legs and claws, leaving the bodies intact. Use your hands to break the bodies in half again (in other words, the full body of each crab is broken into four pieces). Using a nut cracker or lobster cracker, carefully crack open each section of the crab legs and claws; try to keep each leg and claw in one piece. Put the crab in a large roasting pan.

Melt the butter. Drizzle the butter and olive oil over the crab, and sprinkle it with minced garlic, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Thoroughly toss the crab with the other ingredients so that all the pieces of crab are coated.

Roast the crab for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle the parsley over the crab and toss again. Return the crab to the oven for 2 minutes.

Place the crab on a large serving platter and serve immediately with napkins and an empty bowl for the shells.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Cook and clean Dungeness Crab.

o

CLBlakey, Your sushi looks amazing! Nice job!

Ann, as always your dinners look amazing! Would love your Turkish pizza recipe and your lavash cracker recipe.

I just bought a cracker and dip cookbook, but would love a tried and true recipe.

I've been cooking up a storm lately after a week away.

Smoked ribs with potatoes in foil with onions, and a green salad.

Rib eye steaks on the bbq with bourbon butter. Potato salad made from the leftover potato/onions. Hubs doesn't normally like potato salad, but he loved this version. Also made a pasta salad with feta, radishes, tomatoes and a kicked up sweet Vidalia onion dressing. Really good!

Roasted some cauliflower with coconut butter and seasonings and tossed it in to some cooked brown basmati rice to go with curried meatball dish (excellent)! (and homemade naan) (the curried meatball dish was an Arti recipe from food network). Would make again for sure!

Been making naan bread for the last three days. My version has yogurt that I buy from our farmer's market from a local cheese shop which is amazing! Also has olive oil, whole wheat, reg flour, and nigella seeds, fennel salt,yeast etc.
Once cooked it's spread with a melted butter mixture that contains zaatar, sumac and garlic powder. SOOO good! I've made it three times this week.

Next night I finely cut the leftover steaks and ribs, and sautéed along with onions and wild mixed mushrooms (from the farmers market), served in homemade naan, with a trio of dips I also got from the farmers market, (curry hummus, yam and chipotle hummus and a cilantro pesto) was a u pick sort of flatbread wrap. Along with cheese, lettuce tomatoes etc for those that wanted. Delicious!

Tonight it's a waffle sandwich. Waffle has bourbon cured bacon, green onions and aged cheddar in it. Double coated boneless chicken thighs, with a duo of mustards mixed with birch syrup (didn't have maple syrup), avocado, spinach and tomatoes. I subbed bourbon pepper and bourbon butter for reg in the waffle recipe. I don't normally eat like this, but was totally craving this recipe when I saw it! http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-watermelon-with-chile-and-lime-recipes-from-the-kitchn-191701

Also made son a quinoa, wild rice, barley salad with , radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, almonds, roasted pineapple, peas, black beans with a Greek dressing. (He's on a health kick). Really good!

For a change of pace I smoked some coconut milk with pecan wood for an hour. Grilled on high pineapple slices topped with brown sugar, until caramelized. Pureed with rum and lime juice into a nice refreshing (and different) pina colada!

That's been my week of cooking!

o

Maybe I will have to get hubby to put it in the pot while I am in another room. It is the cooking it alive that bothers me. Once they are dead no problem I can clean them and eat them. I have seen them cleaned alive too. But I don't think I could do that either. If I get up the nerve I will try the baking for final cook I have never seen them done that way thanks.

o

CLB, that's a beautiful dragon roll. I bet your DH was surprised.
Ann, those crackers would have been perfect for my breakfast this morning.
Ssommerville, that sounds like an incredibly decadent and delicious sandwich.

Lots of good food over the 4th of July weekend and now back to our regularly scheduled program. Last night, we had grilled teriyaki marinated sirloin tips, diced sweet potatoes cooked with currants and a bit of molasses and ginger and a Napa cabbage slaw with a dressing from a recently acquired 1967 Carnation teen cookbook. I never thought of evaporated milk as a salad dressing ingredient but it worked.

photo Teriyaki_zps5e4a2f9b.jpg

o

Can I have one of everything, please?

My dinner tonight...don't judge.

photo f1266fb9-da65-4e1a-8468-c2e68a8f90ee.jpg

Dino nuggets for kids....try not o cringe-it has been that kind of week!

Oh and yes it is that summer torte. Still love!

o

Thanks for all the nice comments on the sushi here is what he is getting tonight just waiting to get cooked

Thanks Ann for the recipe

o

Like Maggie, I'd like one of everything. Btw, Maggie, your summer torte looks decadent. I've had that torte at the back of my mind long enough. I'm interested in trying it this summer with peaches or plums.

Jude, glad to know your husband's health continues to improve. That's great news.

CLB, that's one impressive dragon roll. Would've been difficult for me to dig into it.

My kitchen is still open for business, but photographing dinner has taken a back seat.

Speaking of which, tonight's dinner was a salad.
I'm determined to drop 18 pounds, so I've been on a diet for about a month. So far I've lost 30 days.

Sol

o

Maggie, that summer torte would be supper enough for me, it looks delicious. Sorry about your week, next week will be better, I hope.

I spent an hour and a half on horseback looking for a lost calf yesterday and my butt still hurts. Today it was trimming bushes along the fence line and hoeing the garden. Pretty much everything hurts, LOL, and we had leftovers for supper.

CL, you're going with the Firecracker shrimp, I think that's a good choice. I think that's going to be on the menu here too soon. Happy Anniversary!

Annie

o

Maggie, no judging. I'd love your dinner.

CL, Hope you will post pictures of your Anniversary dinner.

Our meals this week.

Hainanese Chicken

Roasted Beet and Feta Salad

Oven roasted Halibut

Apple fritters. Very easy recipe.About 20 minutes from start to finish.

Greek Lamb

o

Maggie2094, I would never judge such a wonderful dinner option!

CLBLakey, those stuffed prawns look wonderful! Would love a recipe.

Solsthumper, Love everything you post, but especially love your gorgeous food pics! Sorry they are taking a back burner.

Ann_T, Dinners look amazing as always!
Hainanese Chicken looks interesting!
For some one who doesn't like salads, your beet and feta salad, looks like one I would love! (love beets, but only one in family who does).

Apple fritters also look really good! Need to bake soon!

Lamb is one thing I have only cooked once. I find it's so expensive so I never tend to buy. Might have to look into buying a quarter or half as you did!

Last night I made a pepita crusted halibut with cilantro, serrano cream sauce. I cheated as I had picked up a cilantro chutney at the Farmer's market. When I looked at the ingredients, they were pretty much the same as the sauce. I sautéed some onions, added a Serrano chile and some cream. Was wonderful!

Here's the link to the recipe, http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/pepita-crusted-pacific-halibut-with-cilantro-serrano-cream-recipe/index.html

o

Sol, I've gotten you beat on that weight loss thing. I've lost 6 months and....oh.....about 3 pounds, LOL.

Annie

o

Ssommerville the recipe is Ann T's found on the Giant shrimp thread.

No pics of anniversary dinner hubby showed up late (stopped to get me flowers) he didn't tell me he was stopping so they were overcooked and not so pretty. I don't plate food well working on it though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant Shrimp

o

Shelley, the lamb I bought was free range from a local farm. I ended up with a total of 30 or 35 pounds of wrapped meat. I think it cost me $6.00 a pound. Which is really good when you consider that in the stores/butchers here, a rack of lamb is over $20.00 a pound. So are the loin chops. So if you like lamb buying a whole small lamb is the way to go.

Thanks for the link to the Halibut recipe. Always looking for tried and true recipes for halibut.

CL, even if slightly overcooked I hope you and your husband enjoyed the shrimp.

Thanks to Maggie, I baked the summer torte yesterday morning and had a piece for breakfast. I took the rest to work and it quickly disappeared.

I used red currants.

Wings and fries for dinner. Served with TBQ sauce made using the copycat recipe.

The wings were done in the oven and the fries were double fried.

I bought this little fry cutter. It cuts the potatoes into "Shoe String " size fries. Produces a lot of fries from just two potatoes.

o

He loved them Ann and I will make them again but with more heat next time.

Left over soup for supper last night it was rainy and cold so soup seemed to fit better than shrimp.

o

Been having light dinners outdoors lately.

Mussels

Shrimp salad

Cabbage salad

Shrimp, bok choy, almonds and mushroom

o

CL, It is hot here, but I would still be happy with a bowl of your soup.

John, everything looks good, but it is the mussels that I would like.

Reverse Shepherd's Pie. Potatoes were piped into the bottom of the casserole dish, topped with the meat, and more potatoes pipped around the edge.

Baked for 20 minutes, long enough to start to brown the potatoes and served with buttered peas.

o

Wow, that is pretty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here