SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

What's For Dinner - #331

ann_t
10 years ago

Ruthanna, I'll have to look and see if I can find a small bone in ham. Just big enough for a dinner, a breakfast and a few sandwiches. And a bone for soup.

Italian Roast Chicken with homemade Fettuccini.

Burgers with Shoestring fries.

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake using just egg yolks.

Slow Roasted Beef Rib Bones.

Comments (100)

• LLVV
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ann T, would you be able to tell me what you used to batter the halibut. That is the type of batter that I've been looking for, for a long time. Your pics (actually, everyone's pics) are so inspiring!

Thank you!

• ann_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LLVV, here is the recipe that I use. I used beer in the batter rather than soda water.

I sometimes add egg yolks to this batter. I did NOT add the egg yolks for the fish batter.

Tempura Style Batter

Adapted from Gardenguru (Joe)

1 cup flour

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking powder

Salt and pepper

Soda Water or beer

NOTE: Depending on what I am using the batter for, I sometimes add one or two egg yolks.
    Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt and pepper together. Add enough soda water (or beer) to make a batter that is slightly thinner than a pancake batter. Note: I prefer a thinner, crispy, tempura style batter, for a thicker batter use less soda water.

• Related Discussions

Is the Charlotte Swap on 3/31 still a go?

Q

Comments (14)
    Aw darn..I just missed meeting you by a few minutes. I wanted to get home and start planting. People traded and chatted,I brought a map so we know where others are located, some left before lunch. Some locked up their cars and went to sit on the benches for lunch. I'm thinking for the fall swap we begin by meeting at lunch time and then do the swap so folks have more time to arrive. Hope you'll come back for the fall swap. I hear there will be lots more (although there sure were plenty of plants) since what is seedling now will be mature to share then. Would that work better?
    ...See More

SS Support - Mon. 3/29 thru Wed. 3/31

Q

Comments (14)
    Gretchen, I am all about eating within my points! Actually, the whole grain stuff is much lower in calories, so it pays to eat whole wheat pasta (3 points per cup) than the white stuff (4 points per cup). I tried to do it within the context of SS, but I get to eat more and be more flexible here. Most veggies are 0 points per cup (including raw carrots!), so I bring at least 2 cups of veggies with me to work each day....grape tomatoes and celery sticks, or cucumber slices and baby carrots...you get the picture. Most fruit is 1 point per serving. I think that you personally would probably be able to eat at least 20 points per day (goes by present weight and gradually goes down as you lose in order to lose more), so you see how great it is to fill up on veggies! They give you 35 flex points per week to use all at once, or spread out---however you need them. There is a website that gives you the points of most foods. Here is my day of eating (note that I like to eat all day, so I spread out my food intake...no set rules at Weight Watchers...they say "you can eat anything, just not EVERYTHING" LOL): 8 am: 1 cup Kashi cereal (dry) with my decaf coffee 10 am: 6 oz Dannon Fit and Light Yogurt Noon: 1 sandwich w/ low fat ham, ff cheese, mustard and "diet bread" (2 slices = 1 point); pickle, 1 cup of cherry tomatoes 2:00pm 10 baby carrots 4:00pm 1 pear 5:00pm exercise class (you can get back 2-3 points for this!!) 7:00pm 1 salad w/ oil vinegar, 1 large portion of fish (7 oz), asparagus, 1 cup of rice 9:00pm 1 point sugar-free Edy's all fruit ice pop I may still have points left, because I haven't done the math for my dinner here. I've listed approximations here...I would only use 1 tablespoon of olive oil for a 3-point salad, etc. You will get used to the measurements. Anyway, I hope this helps you. I've eaten pizza, ice cream, lasaagna, and still lost weight...you just need to count the points and plan the rest of your day/week accordingly! Here is a link that might be useful: WW Points
    ...See More

How do you make potatos that look like this?

Q

Comments (8)
    Oh sorry Linda....the potatoes with the liver and onions were just cut in half and steamed. What you see is how they looked with the gravy spooned over them. (When I make gravy Wolf insists most of it be poured over his potatoes. :-) Val I've made cubed potatoes done in my little countertop oven, sprinkling them with olive oil, herbs and paprika, laid out on a shallow oven tray and cooked at around 375 - 400F until done. When they look half done I use a spatula to lift and turn them. They're better if they have stuck a little to the tray before being turned over. The stuck-on bits go crispy. This is more or less as Linda describes. Another good recipe for crispy potatoes is this one: EASY PARMESAN POTATO WEDGES *********************************** This recipe can also be served with sour cream. 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese 1 teasp paprika 1 teasp garlic powder 1/2 teasp salt 1/4 - 1/2 teasp pepper 4 potatoes unpeeled 1/3 cup vegetable oil 1) Preheat oven to 400F (204C) 2) In plastic bag combine first 5 ingredients. 3) Cut each unpeeled potato into 8 wedges. Dip wedges in oil and then shake in cheese mixture. 4) Place wedges on a baking sheet skin side down and bake at 400F (204C) for 30 - 40 minutes. Source: I've Got To Have THAT Recipe, Too! Dianne Winsby, Pat Pollard & Barbara Doell Victoria, B.C. Canada 2000 SharonCb
    ...See More

samsung 331 vs frigidaire FAFS4474LW - better rinse?

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi all. Thanks so much for the excellent feedback. I had read the thread about nerdyshopper's laundry nirvana, but kind of agreed with his wife's comment about how it was supposed to be an automatic washer. I mean, I would really like to have a machine with enough options (pre-wash, extra rinse, etc.) that I could do a normal load without having to attend to it in the middle (and a diaper load without having to attend to it three or four times, as I do now). The frigidaire does have an option called "freshwater rinse", which sounds like it might add extra rinse water while it spins, though I wasn't sure if that's what it meant. But I notice no one piped up and said they have the frigidaire and love it, so maybe the samsung is still my best bet. Thanks again for all the help!
    ...See More
  • LLVV
    10 years ago

Thank you so much Ann T.!!! :-)

• angelaid
    10 years ago

I copied and pasted, too. Thanks Ann!

• jimster
    10 years ago

Ann, so long as you continue posting your photos I will continue to compliment them. I always enjoy them. They are exceptionally well done. Of course, it begins with great subject matter.

ssomerville, masa harina and corn flour are different products. Masa harina is dried, ground masa. Masa is made from corn by a process called nixtamalization, in which corn is treated with lye or other alkali as in making hominy. I won't try to give the details here. You can look it up. Anyway, I don't think any corn flour can be subbed for masa harina.

Jim

• artsyshell
    10 years ago

ann_t Sorry, you're going to have to wait one more week for the flour. She wasn't at the market today. She'll be there next week for sure! So I will get and send then. Sorry. Didn't realize she was only at market every two weeks.

I also copied and pasted your batter recipe. Thank you!

• annie1992
    10 years ago

OK, I suppose it's time to catch up!

today Elery smoked a turkey on his new grill. While he was doing that I sautéed onions, garlic, fresh corn cut from the cob, a minced jalapeno and some local asparagus that was getting limp in the fridge. I also made a multi-grain pilaf.

Elery's been busy using that grill, last week we had chicken

and one night we had burgers from my grass fed beef, along with some potatoes, also on the grill:

Corn has been good, it's from Texas, and about 20 cents an ear, so we had it a couple of times.

One night I pan fried some pork chops and we had baked potatoes and some home canned pink half runner beans:

I roasted some fresh Costa Rican Terrazu coffee to go with the peach/raspberry cobbler. Yeah, it was breakfast for me, LOL.

Since I seem to be overwhelmed with my "daily dozen" eggs, I made quiche with a crust made from that same multi-grain blend I had for supper tonight, and added broccoli, onions, tomatoes, cheese (for Elery, he's gotta have it, LOL),

That was supper, not breakfast, maybe I just have it backwards but I'd rather have dessert and coffee for breakfast and eggs for supper!

Annie

• ruthanna_gw
    10 years ago

Annie, thanks for the reminder that we haven't had quiche for a while. Yours looks terrific. Elery is becoming quite the Grillmeister. That smoked turkey is a beauty.

Yesterday, we had severe thunderstorms all day so DH and I stayed in and cranked out eight Brownie Pizzas for the bake sale booth of our church's summer festival this weekend. Yeah, I know, but as former actor spouse always tells me, "Play to your audience.".

Last night's dinner was broiled chopped sirloin patties topped with chimichurri. Tea time treat was ricotta cookies from the Italian bakery.

This post was edited by ruthanna on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 10:57

• annie1992
    10 years ago

ruthanna, you should definitely play to your audience, and I think the brownie pizza looks delectable, I'd eat it in an instant. Oh, and the dinner looks good too. (grin)

Annie

• artsyshell
    10 years ago

Annie1992, looks like Elery is making great use of the new grill! Turkey and chicken looks wonderful. Love your coffee roaster! Still trying to source out green beans, so I can at least try it in my popcorn maker!

Ruthanna, LOVE your brownie pizzas! Great idea for a festival, love that you're putting them in pizza boxes! Very cool!

• artsyshell
    10 years ago

jimster thank you so much for that info! I thought there must be a difference, but wasn't 100% sure. So does that mean blue corn flour can't be used to make corn tortillas?

• ann_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jim. Shelley it is possible to make a tortilla using the blue corn flour. But the blue corn flour needs to be mixed with regular flour.

~Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Corn Tortillas

• artsyshell
    10 years ago

Thanks ann t for the link!

I bought the Flour cookbook and Flour, too cookbook. Really enjoying the latter one.

Dinner tonight is an egg sandwich, from the book. Their eggs are mixed with 1/2 and 1/2 and baked in a water bath, then cut, so they can be made ahead and reheated without losing texture. The focaccia bread recipe from the book is turned into buns. This was a fabulous dough to work with. It contains 1/2 olive oil, so depending on the type of evoo, can taste different every time it's made. I will be making this bread recipe again and again! Even son commented on how good the bread was.

I also made their brioche recipe, which I froze after letting it rise in the fridge overnight. This also handled really well. They use it as a pizza crust, which I am looking forward to trying!

There are some great recipes in both books and I can't wait to try more of them out!
    I tweeted that I was making the dough, and the author responded to my tweet, even though I hadn't tweeted to her directly. Thought that was quite cool :)

• ann_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie that smoked turkey looks so good. Would love a toasted club house sandwich with smoked turkey and your homemade bacon.

Ruthanna, I bet your pizzas sold out quickly.

Recent meals.

Burger

Roast Strip Loin with zucchini and a stuffed zucchini blossom.

Pork fried rice.

Caprese Salad

Grilled European Weiners.

• ruthanna_gw
    10 years ago

Ann, you are truly an artist when it comes to food photographs. Your food and your photos are a joy to view. The caprese salad makes me crave home-grown tomatoes but they're not ready yet.

Our church festival was a success and did sell all 600 dozen pierogies we made earlier. Lines were longest for bleenies (potato pancakes). My favorite was the meatball sandwiches.

Last week, we went on that Secret Treasures Tour of small businesses off the beaten path so lunch was our main meal of most days. One day, we visited an old (built in 1801) country hotel/bar/restaurant and had the best snapper soup I've tasted in years. Deep rich snapper broth and served with the traditional little carafe of sherry on the side.

Getting back to cooking dinners, the best of the bunch was beans 'n' greens baked in the bean pot and served with chicken saltimbocca. The dark spot under the prosciutto is a sage leaf.

• ruthanna_gw
    10 years ago

Grill night - pork chip steak skewers with spicy peach grilling sauce, potatoes rubbed with bacon grease and roasted in foil on the grill, carrot ribbons and asparagus with ginger-lime butter

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Ann, I'd like to blow that picture of the caprese up and put it on my kitchen wall, it's beautiful. I'd rather eat the beef, of course, (grin) but it's beautiful.

Ruthanna, Elery and I both would love the beans and greens, we had beans tonight ourselves, and we have them a couple of times a week, usually. It's a regular meal for us.

Here I made some grill glaze based with some espresso balsamic vinegar that I had in the cupboard. We used it to glaze some chicken thighs on the grill:

We had those with some stuffed poblanos and baked potatoes:

I made some hummus and toasted flatbreads for dipping:

Bud and Makayla spent a couple of nights and Makayla roasted some coffee for me:

We made some test baked goods to figure out what she would enter in the fair, sweet cherry hand pies and peanut butter chocolate chip scones:

Elery loves salad so I mixed up some yogurt with honey and Dijon mustard and dressed a salad.

The first radishes are ready in the garden, so I added those:

I picked some herbs from my herb garden and rubbed chicken breasts with olive oil and some fresh rosemary, parsley, tarragon, thyme and oregano, then Elery grilled it:

We had some burgers on the grill with homemade buns:

Some meals that didn't get pictures were tonight's beans, the pizza I made while the kids were here, some strawberry shortcake, and chocolate chip pancakes. We haven't starved.....

Annie

• John Liu
    10 years ago

Here is my new standard way of roasting chicken. What I do when I don't have any other ideas and need to get dinner on the table with reasonable speed.

Debone chicken which I can now do in 4 minutes, thank you Monsieur Pepin. Salt both inside (meat side) and outside (skin side). Douse with this "mesquite seasoning mix" that came from Costco - basically salt, pepper, herbs, dehydrated garlic and onion and so on. Cut some rosemary from the bush that is taking over the patio, lay it on a half sheet pan. Place the chicken on the rosemary, meat side down. Roast in a preheated 425 oven until breast meat temps at 140-150F. Or, switch to broiler when breast temps at 120-130F and broil briefly. Cut up with scissors and serve.

• ann_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ruthanna. I feel the same way about your meals. You also have the most interesting sides. I really need to cook more beans. I only think to cook them when I'm making Mexican.

Annie, I love that picture of Makayla roasting the coffee beans.

John, beautiful roasted chickens.

My friend and neighbour Barb was home this week. She works out of province and only gets home for a week every four to six weeks. And when she is home we usually have a few meals together.

I promised her homemade pizza. I made two.

{{gwi:1521473}}
    One with fresh mozzarella topped with pepperoni and fresh basil and the other mushroom, pepperoni and black olive.

Saturday night Clif picked up Dungeness crab for me to cook.

Roasted with lots and lots of garlic, butter, olive oil and black pepper.

And for dessert

{{gwi:1521475}}
    Ice cream Sundaes

{{gwi:1521476}}
    with chocolate and caramel sauces.

Hot Chicken Sandwiches

{{gwi:1521478}}

Lemony Dill Chicken Soup

{{gwi:1521479}}
    Bean Sprouts with Pork

This post was edited by ann_t on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 13:22

• shambo
    10 years ago

Better late than never, I hope. I finally made the kreatopita I promised my husband for Father's Day. (I don't feel badly, though. My daughter made a triple batch of stuffed grape leaves for him, so he hasn't exactly suffered.)

I use fillo from Trader Joe's, and it was very difficult to work with. The sheets tore every time I tried to pick one up. Or they stuck together. I don't think I got more than 6 sheets that resembled whole sheets. But I followed my mother's and grandmother's advice -- just patch things together and forge ahead. I often used Pam spray between the "layers" because they couldn't handle brushing with olive oil.

When I got done, I brushed a thick layer of melted butter on the top and around the edges. Usually I score the top layers of fillo so the cut pieces would look nicer and the crisp fillo won't shatter. But I was so frustrated that I just stuck the pita in the oven and baked away.

It wasn't a perfect looking pita, but it sure tasted good. To make it slower sodium, I didn't add any salt to the meat sauce and used only half of the normal feta amount. I added a tablespoon of wine vinegar to the sauce for some spark.

My husband was happy, and that's what was important. We both have a weakness for pita, so we finished it off in two days.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    10 years ago

Shambo, the kreatopita looks delicious and perfect to me.

Ann_t, Wow! I will come clean your house if you invite me to have a taste of that crab dish.

John, Congratulations! That is a very successful roasted chicken.

Annie, it’s a shame that most parents don’t teach their kids how to cook. I see everyone in your family turn into great home chefs.

Ruthanna, superb pork chip steak skewers, nicely plated.

Jasdip, that’s a very nice and healthy combination of ingredients on you glazed pork chop dish.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Not sure what I have made.

Basically Scungilli on Spaetzle with fennel sauce.

dcarch

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

We picked strawberries this morning and I made bread, and rolls for a change instead of my usual 2 loaves of bread. There were more rolls, but I had already given some away to my neighbour and hubby sampled one before I thought to take pics.

A roll and fresh strawberries and cream. Yum!

• John Liu
    10 years ago

Salmon was marinated in pear cider, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice. Crusted with nuts and rosemary and olive oil, baked (in the toaster oven because it is so hot). Beet greens were wilted in duck fat. Quinoa was mixed with the fish marinade (that was first cooked down and thickened) then balled. It was okay but I over cooked the fish a bit :-(

This was my TV dinner - Tour de France time so eating meals in front of the TV.

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Jasdip, the bread looks delicious.

John, I never thought of marinating or brining salmon in fruit juice or cider, what a good idea. I also love beet greens, so I'd be happy.

Here it's a lot of fast food, cold sandwiches and snacks. I have Madi while Ashley is in the hospital, it's going on 4 days now. Makayla has ballet camp this week and I'm driving her back and forth to Grand Rapids, which gives me a chance to visit Ashley in the neo-natal unit down there anyway. We're working on the kitchen and it's torn apart, so I come here to drool on the keyboard and think about when I'm in a position to cook again.

Annie

• Solsthumper
    10 years ago

It's been a while since my last rap session. But as usual, everything looks delicious.

I'll have to contribute something, soon. Ha.

AnnieB, sorry to hear about your girl. I'll email you.

Sol

• ruthanna_gw
    10 years ago

Shambo, from the photo, you'd never guess that you had persnickety phyllo. It looks delicious.

I like the idea of using fennel for a sauce. Thanks for another idea to try, Dcarch.

Jasdip, those rolls would be perfect with summer soups.

Annie, sorry to read about Ashley. I hope they'll get a diagnosis and get her fixed up soon.

John, your salmon creation puts my hot weather salmon to shame.

I've been volunteering at our PA Dutch Folk Festival all week and will continue through Sunday so main meal has been lunch most days. It's been hot here so poached some salmon early yesterday morning and we had it chilled last night, with minted zucchini strings and a salad.

Dinner tonight was a quart of beef vegetable soup I brought home from one of the Grange groups at the festival. They add a couple of pigs' feet to their beef broth, which gives it a very rich flavor. Teatime treat tonight will be black cherry Italian water ice I made last night.

• ann_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jasdip, Beautiful loaf and rolls.

John, Interesting crust on your salmon.

Sue, I like the idea of your kreatopita. Is the recipe on your website?

Ruthanna, Good idea to poached the salmon early and serve it cold. We are finally having hot summer days. Your dinner would be perfect.

Top Sirloin Cap with Twice Baked Potaotes.

Tofu for lunch one day.

Bake Day

Baguettes

Pizzettas with different toppings.

Toasted Peameal Bacon and tomato sandwiches on homemade baguette

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

Ann - that's a beautiful photo of the tofu. I love that green plate! I've never eaten tofu that way before - in a big chunk right out of the package. I usually cube it and toss it with the dressing/sauce and let it sit so it can absorb the flavors.

No photo of last night's dinner but I enjoyed the first ripe tomatoes of the year! My salad consisted of oakleaf lettuce from the garden, cubes of browned queso blanco cheese and a cilantro lime vinaigrette - topped off with 4 Sun Gold, 1 Lemon Drop, 2 Isis Candy, and 1 Chocolate Cherry tomatoes. I saved the small bowl of Tri Star strawberries I picked for breakfast this morning. This is all so amazing since our last measurable snowfall in the Minneapolis area was 50 days ago.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

So hot and humid the past week or so. We've been eating cold sides, and I've been trying new ones.

Chicken marinated in lime, cumin, jalapeno and browned in the skillet.
    Quinoa is the star of the side, along with corn, carrots, yellow pepper, onion with a dressing of lime juice, chipotle peppers, chili powder, olive oil and garlic. They're both keepers.

• jude31
    10 years ago

Jasdip, that looks so yummy! I'd love your recipe for the quinoa.

We had the first okra from the garden last night. Only a few pods, breaded and skillet fried until crisp, along with green beans, mashed potatoes, some tomatoes, cucumbers and onion, chopped, with vinegar...OMG, it was wonderful! Everything except the potatoes were from the garden. We have potatoes from the garden but had a couple of russets that needed to be used. Love those fresh veggies! It was just DD#3 and me, since DH is still in rehab recovering from his sroke in May. BTW, he is doing so well, walking a little, with some assistance. Prayers do get answered!

jude

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

I love looking at the pics on What's for dinner they all look scrumptious. Hubby loves sushi so I thought I would try making something a bit more fancy for him. My first dragon roll.

• ann_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice CLBlakey. Looks very professional.

Jasdip, your dinner looks perfect for a hot summer day.

Got a good deal on Dungeness crab. Bought six and we had dinner with Clif. Pigged out on Crab.

Went to the Farmer's Market on my way to work Saturday.

Dinner Saturday night.

Diner Food - Hot Hamburger Sandwich with homemade fries.

Lahmacun ( Turkish Pizza)

And Lavash Crackers made from leftover Lahmacun dough.

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

Ann I notice you cook your crab whole -- steamed or boiled? I love dungeness but am having a hard time bringing myself to cook one.

• ann_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CLBlakey, I steamed them just long enough to partially cook and then they are finished off in a 500° F oven with lots of fresh garlic, (two heads minced) with butter, olive oil and lots of black pepper. They roast for another 15 minutes, turning often.

After steaming for 5 or 6 minutes, I run them under cold water so they are cool enough to handle and then I prepare them to roast. I also take a rubber mallet and crack the legs so it is easier to pick out the meat.

If you haven't cooked or cleaned a Dungeness Crab before, check out the link I've included. Good simple instructions.

This is my favourite way to serve Dungeness Crab. Note the recipe calls for steaming for 12 minutes. But I just steam for about 6 minutes and finish in the oven.

Roasted Garlic and Black Pepper Crab
    Garlic Roasted Dungeness Crab
    =============================
    Adapted from Tra Vigne Restaurant
    Dungeness crab should be alive when it goes into the boiling water; the crab has more flavor if you don’t clean it before you cook it.

2 live Dungeness crabs
    1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup chopped fresh garlic
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Put in the live crabs. Cook for 12 minutes. (The crab is only partially cooked because it will be oven-roasted; it takes 15 - 20 minutes, depending on the size, to fully cook Dungeness crab.) Remove the crab from the boiling water, and run it under cold water to cool it down. When the crab is cool enough to handle, remove the back, gills, and guts. With cold running water, carefully rinse off any guts that are sticking to the crab meat. (The crab may be made ahead to this point and refrigerated for 24 hours).

Preheat the oven to 500 °F.

Break the crab bodies in half down the center. With your hands, carefully remove the legs and claws, leaving the bodies intact. Use your hands to break the bodies in half again (in other words, the full body of each crab is broken into four pieces). Using a nut cracker or lobster cracker, carefully crack open each section of the crab legs and claws; try to keep each leg and claw in one piece. Put the crab in a large roasting pan.

Melt the butter. Drizzle the butter and olive oil over the crab, and sprinkle it with minced garlic, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Thoroughly toss the crab with the other ingredients so that all the pieces of crab are coated.

Roast the crab for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle the parsley over the crab and toss again. Return the crab to the oven for 2 minutes.

Place the crab on a large serving platter and serve immediately with napkins and an empty bowl for the shells.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Cook and clean Dungeness Crab.

• artsyshell
    10 years ago

CLBlakey, Your sushi looks amazing! Nice job!

Ann, as always your dinners look amazing! Would love your Turkish pizza recipe and your lavash cracker recipe.

I just bought a cracker and dip cookbook, but would love a tried and true recipe.

I've been cooking up a storm lately after a week away.

Smoked ribs with potatoes in foil with onions, and a green salad.

Rib eye steaks on the bbq with bourbon butter. Potato salad made from the leftover potato/onions. Hubs doesn't normally like potato salad, but he loved this version. Also made a pasta salad with feta, radishes, tomatoes and a kicked up sweet Vidalia onion dressing. Really good!

Roasted some cauliflower with coconut butter and seasonings and tossed it in to some cooked brown basmati rice to go with curried meatball dish (excellent)! (and homemade naan) (the curried meatball dish was an Arti recipe from food network). Would make again for sure!

Been making naan bread for the last three days. My version has yogurt that I buy from our farmer's market from a local cheese shop which is amazing! Also has olive oil, whole wheat, reg flour, and nigella seeds, fennel salt,yeast etc.
    Once cooked it's spread with a melted butter mixture that contains zaatar, sumac and garlic powder. SOOO good! I've made it three times this week.

Next night I finely cut the leftover steaks and ribs, and sautéed along with onions and wild mixed mushrooms (from the farmers market), served in homemade naan, with a trio of dips I also got from the farmers market, (curry hummus, yam and chipotle hummus and a cilantro pesto) was a u pick sort of flatbread wrap. Along with cheese, lettuce tomatoes etc for those that wanted. Delicious!

Tonight it's a waffle sandwich. Waffle has bourbon cured bacon, green onions and aged cheddar in it. Double coated boneless chicken thighs, with a duo of mustards mixed with birch syrup (didn't have maple syrup), avocado, spinach and tomatoes. I subbed bourbon pepper and bourbon butter for reg in the waffle recipe. I don't normally eat like this, but was totally craving this recipe when I saw it! http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-watermelon-with-chile-and-lime-recipes-from-the-kitchn-191701

Also made son a quinoa, wild rice, barley salad with , radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, almonds, roasted pineapple, peas, black beans with a Greek dressing. (He's on a health kick). Really good!

For a change of pace I smoked some coconut milk with pecan wood for an hour. Grilled on high pineapple slices topped with brown sugar, until caramelized. Pureed with rum and lime juice into a nice refreshing (and different) pina colada!

That's been my week of cooking!

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

Maybe I will have to get hubby to put it in the pot while I am in another room. It is the cooking it alive that bothers me. Once they are dead no problem I can clean them and eat them. I have seen them cleaned alive too. But I don't think I could do that either. If I get up the nerve I will try the baking for final cook I have never seen them done that way thanks.

• ruthanna_gw
    10 years ago

CLB, that's a beautiful dragon roll. I bet your DH was surprised.
    Ann, those crackers would have been perfect for my breakfast this morning.
    Ssommerville, that sounds like an incredibly decadent and delicious sandwich.

Lots of good food over the 4th of July weekend and now back to our regularly scheduled program. Last night, we had grilled teriyaki marinated sirloin tips, diced sweet potatoes cooked with currants and a bit of molasses and ginger and a Napa cabbage slaw with a dressing from a recently acquired 1967 Carnation teen cookbook. I never thought of evaporated milk as a salad dressing ingredient but it worked.

• maggie2094
    10 years ago

Can I have one of everything, please?

My dinner tonight...don't judge.

Dino nuggets for kids....try not o cringe-it has been that kind of week!

Oh and yes it is that summer torte. Still love!

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments on the sushi here is what he is getting tonight just waiting to get cooked

Thanks Ann for the recipe

• Solsthumper
    10 years ago

Like Maggie, I'd like one of everything. Btw, Maggie, your summer torte looks decadent. I've had that torte at the back of my mind long enough. I'm interested in trying it this summer with peaches or plums.

Jude, glad to know your husband's health continues to improve. That's great news.

CLB, that's one impressive dragon roll. Would've been difficult for me to dig into it.

My kitchen is still open for business, but photographing dinner has taken a back seat.

Speaking of which, tonight's dinner was a salad.
    I'm determined to drop 18 pounds, so I've been on a diet for about a month. So far I've lost 30 days.

Sol

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Maggie, that summer torte would be supper enough for me, it looks delicious. Sorry about your week, next week will be better, I hope.

I spent an hour and a half on horseback looking for a lost calf yesterday and my butt still hurts. Today it was trimming bushes along the fence line and hoeing the garden. Pretty much everything hurts, LOL, and we had leftovers for supper.

CL, you're going with the Firecracker shrimp, I think that's a good choice. I think that's going to be on the menu here too soon. Happy Anniversary!

Annie

• ann_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maggie, no judging. I'd love your dinner.

CL, Hope you will post pictures of your Anniversary dinner.

Our meals this week.

Hainanese Chicken

Roasted Beet and Feta Salad

Oven roasted Halibut

Apple fritters. Very easy recipe.About 20 minutes from start to finish.

Greek Lamb

• artsyshell
    10 years ago

Maggie2094, I would never judge such a wonderful dinner option!

CLBLakey, those stuffed prawns look wonderful! Would love a recipe.

Solsthumper, Love everything you post, but especially love your gorgeous food pics! Sorry they are taking a back burner.

Ann_T, Dinners look amazing as always!
    Hainanese Chicken looks interesting!
    For some one who doesn't like salads, your beet and feta salad, looks like one I would love! (love beets, but only one in family who does).

Apple fritters also look really good! Need to bake soon!

Lamb is one thing I have only cooked once. I find it's so expensive so I never tend to buy. Might have to look into buying a quarter or half as you did!

Last night I made a pepita crusted halibut with cilantro, serrano cream sauce. I cheated as I had picked up a cilantro chutney at the Farmer's market. When I looked at the ingredients, they were pretty much the same as the sauce. I sautéed some onions, added a Serrano chile and some cream. Was wonderful!

Here's the link to the recipe, http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/pepita-crusted-pacific-halibut-with-cilantro-serrano-cream-recipe/index.html

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Sol, I've gotten you beat on that weight loss thing. I've lost 6 months and....oh.....about 3 pounds, LOL.

Annie

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

Ssommerville the recipe is Ann T's found on the Giant shrimp thread.

No pics of anniversary dinner hubby showed up late (stopped to get me flowers) he didn't tell me he was stopping so they were overcooked and not so pretty. I don't plate food well working on it though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant Shrimp

• ann_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shelley, the lamb I bought was free range from a local farm. I ended up with a total of 30 or 35 pounds of wrapped meat. I think it cost me $6.00 a pound. Which is really good when you consider that in the stores/butchers here, a rack of lamb is over $20.00 a pound. So are the loin chops. So if you like lamb buying a whole small lamb is the way to go.

Thanks for the link to the Halibut recipe. Always looking for tried and true recipes for halibut.

CL, even if slightly overcooked I hope you and your husband enjoyed the shrimp.

Thanks to Maggie, I baked the summer torte yesterday morning and had a piece for breakfast. I took the rest to work and it quickly disappeared.

I used red currants.

Wings and fries for dinner. Served with TBQ sauce made using the copycat recipe.

The wings were done in the oven and the fries were double fried.

I bought this little fry cutter. It cuts the potatoes into "Shoe String " size fries. Produces a lot of fries from just two potatoes.

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

He loved them Ann and I will make them again but with more heat next time.

Left over soup for supper last night it was rainy and cold so soup seemed to fit better than shrimp.

• John Liu
    10 years ago

Been having light dinners outdoors lately.

Mussels

Shrimp salad

Cabbage salad

Shrimp, bok choy, almonds and mushroom

• ann_t
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CL, It is hot here, but I would still be happy with a bowl of your soup.

John, everything looks good, but it is the mussels that I would like.

Reverse Shepherd's Pie. Potatoes were piped into the bottom of the casserole dish, topped with the meat, and more potatoes pipped around the edge.

Baked for 20 minutes, long enough to start to brown the potatoes and served with buttered peas.

• John Liu
    10 years ago

Wow, that is pretty!