SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

Meatlandia

We over did it last weekend. First smoker smokin'. Ribs, chicken, pork butt, lamb sausage, lol.
Eleven sides...one was easy, goat cheese rolled in herbs, salt and pepper, then chopped fresh fine herbs.
I went a bit over the top with three different potato dishes.
(food saver had a work-out on monday) Many meals for days and good smoked stock for soup.

After two days of gentle fish over rice and cod cakes....

Meat again!. I have a real butcher where they actually invite you in the back to see the fresh pork and help the cut decision. And give 4 ft of sausage casings and put a zero cost sticker on it because they love that i want to make my own...
And a bakery where you go in the back and the bagels burn your hands as they come out of the oven.

So i've been buying a 'london broil' that has nothing to do with London and i grill it. London grill?
Seems it is something from the 70's where they named a cut of cheap meat 'London broil'.

My mother made it often, and i've not thought much about it.
So i scored the 'slab', not a flank but more like a thick roast...scored it in a 1/4 inch deep diamond shape on both sides and
smeared it with minced garlic and a dry rub. Grilled and amazing. No need for the acidic vinegary marinade that makes the meat grey with overnight soaking/marinade. I did rub with a grainy mustard an hour before the grill.

Sliced thin and so tender. Nice lean cut of meat that i had forgotten about.
No real reason to post but it is an easy meal that keeps giving....good sandwiches, a few slices for a cold next day salad...so much better that deli roast beef.
...with a nice horseradish/mustard vinaigrette. : )

Comments (8)

• cynic
    10 years ago

I don't quite understand. Just how did you overdo it? :)

• John Liu
    10 years ago

". . . a few slices for a cold next day salad . . . "

That's where you went wrong :-)

• shambo
    10 years ago

I do the same thing with my smoker. Over the weekend I did beef ribs, pork spareribs, a brisket, and pork country style ribs. We managed to eat the ribs over the course of 4 days. The brisket got sliced and put in the freezer for lazy days.

Thanks for the reminder about London Broil. It's great,but I'd forgotten about it too. It's another piece of meat that just keeps on giving.

• annie1992
    10 years ago

London Broil isn't something we see here, it's sold simply as flank steak. It's marinated or grilled and sliced thinly, we just don't call it London Broil.

Elery does the same thing with the smoker and now with his new charcoal grill. We crank the thing up, we're going to do chicken, fish, maybe some beef, a pork butt, whatever will go in there. It's much like my "never bake an orphan" philosophy in the kitchen, don't turn on the oven for a single item, bake an oven full, LOL.

Congratulations on finding a REAL meat market, they are few and far between any more.

Annie

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

London broil used to be flank here, rarely now. It's on sale here, USDA prime, choice of top round, top sirloin or shoulder. Which should I buy now that I have a craving?

• deeebert
    10 years ago

London Broil can be a thick round steak, as my Mother-in-law used to call it. That was in the NYC area. It is also available under that label here in the Atlanta area. As I recall it was best cooked rare and sliced very thinly

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Growing up my mom often make flank steak - using the real cut of meat known as flank steak. She would marinate it in Catalina salad dressing and broil it. Always delicious! I can't look at a package of real flank steak these days due to sticker shock.

My MIL was the queen of "London broil" on the grill. She would season it well, grill it or broil it medium rare, and carve very thin to eagerly awaiting family at the table. Leftovers made great sandwiches, cold with mayo and horseradish. She is in her 90's now and no longer cooks, but she left us her recipes and memories of much wonderful food.

Teresa

• shambo
    10 years ago

The London Broil in markets here in Northern California are not flank steak. Rather they are top round steak, about 2 inches thick. Every online source I've read said that the London Broil started out as flank steak but today is more often a top round steak. That probably accounts for some of the confusion.

The link below shows a picture of what is commonly referred to as London Broil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cook's Thesaurus - Beef Loin Cuts - London Broil