SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Kitchen equipment disasters

Lars
10 years ago

I was going to post some of this earlier, but I had a bad cold two and a half weeks ago that lasted two weeks, and so I did not post much during that time.

First disaster - the lid to my pressure cooker fell off of the top of the rack above my peninsula and afterwards I could not get pressure in the cooker. I could tell that one of the parts in the handle was dislodged/broken, and so I ordered a replacement handle, but when I took the old handle off, I noticed that none of the parts were broken, and so I reassembled the old parts back together. It seems to work now, but I've noticed that after the heat has been turned off for 10-15 minutes, the pressure has dissipated. It creates pressure while it is on heat, however, and so I am wondering if it is partially broken now. I can't remember how it was before because I only used it three or four times before the lid fell.

Week-end before last we had micro-earthquakes, a 3.2 at 8:00 PM Friday and 2.8 at 8:00 PM on Sunday, just two days later, to the hour. We were only a few blocks from the epicenter, and so the jolt was very noticeable, mostly making the sliding glass patio door and some of the windows rattle, but it did nothing to my hanging rack, which will sway when we get bigger quakes, even if they are further away. Anyway, the second quake unnerved me a bit, and I had to check to make sure that the outside gate was not affected. In a larger quake, the outside wall moved 1/4" away from the house, and the gate would not lock after that and stayed open the night that that quake happened.

Last week-end one of the shelves in my upper cabinets fell down, causing glasses and crystal to slide down to one end of the cabinet. I believe this was on Saturday. It made a large crashing sound, and I thought that the neighbors were throwing glass into their recycling bin, although I looked around in the kitchen and didn't see anything. Then on Sunday morning, there was another crashing sound, and after this crash, Kevin tried to open the cabinet where we have glass and crystal but was unable to do so without things falling out, and so I got him to help me hold the door partially open while I carefully extracted glass and crystal that had fallen to one end. Oddly enough, only two glasses were broken and none of the crystal. The shelf fell because the plastic shelf pins had broken, but when the shelf fell, it landed on some sturdy glass tumblers that protected the crystal. I hate these plastic shelf pins, and they came with the house. I tried to replace them at first, but they have catches on them so that you have to press them flat to push the shelf up, and that is very difficult to do. I managed to get all of them out of the glass cabinet, but I have 18 more shelves in other cabinets to replace. Some of the other plastic pins have already broken in other cabinets, but food items on the shelves below them are propping up the shelves. We bought enough metal shelf pins (and we could only find brass in the right size - 3/16" diameter) to replace the rest. I wanted to use nickel pins, but they are 1/4" diameter, and I do not feel like drilling the holes. Kevin said that the pins really do not show anyway.

Lars

I got interrupted before I could add my question:
Do you think my pressure cooker is okay, or do I need to replace the whole thing? How important is it for the pressure to remain after the pan is off the heat?

This post was edited by publickman on Tue, May 7, 13 at 14:50

Comments (6)