Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
boiling pork roast

Posted by clairdo2 (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 13:16

Can I boil a pork roast on the stove and how do you do it?
tx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: boiling pork roast

Why would you want to do this? You can braise it in liquid in the oven.

o

Add a little fat to the pan you were going to boil it in and brown it on all sides over medium high heat. Then add water, beef or chicken broth to come about 1" up the side, reduce heat, cover, and simmer over medium low heat until done. Check occasionally to add more liquid if needed and turn the roast over. You could add chopped onions or garlic on any spices you want to the cooking liquid too.

o

Ideefixe:
Because she wants to boil it on the Range top.

Clair:
You can do it like Ruthanna said, or you can add whole Onions, Potatoes and Celery.

Or you can Bake it in the Oven like Ideefixe suggested.

I do a combination, Brown it , put it in a Roaster. with a little Water or Chicken Broth.
Stick a thermometer in it.

I use a Heavy Alluminum Roaster with a Lid and put it in the Oven, til it reaches 170 Deg.
Take the Roast out and make Gravy.

Hope this was some help.
If not holler HELP !!!!!!!
LOU

Lou

o

Lou,you are too funny.You are a great addition to this forum.

Shelley

o

I made a pork roast tonight (pork cushion), browned on the stove, and then slow-braised in a closed dish in the oven with chopped fresh cranberries, orange juice&zest, honey, ginger, garlic, pepper, salt & pepper. I thickened the pan juices with cornstarch for a sauce and it was quite tasty indeed.

o

Lou--thanks for clearing that up. I guess she can put in a pot with a lot of water and boil away. And then toss in the nearest handy trash can.

o

ideefixe:
Did I say something wrong ???

Starting to get Paranoid about my Comments !!!
Lou

o

It's possible that the OP doesn't have an oven - so instructions on putting the roast in one might not be entirely helpful.

seagrass

o

Lou, I'm sure that Clairdo2 appreciates your helpful response. Don't let it bother you.

o

Could the OP have confused boiling and pot roasting?
Boiled pork is not un heard of....but it produces a very un appetizing grey colored piece of meat.
One of the reasons they call it a "pork roast" is because it's best roasted....either in a heavy covered pot on top of thes tove or in the oven.
Yes you can boil it, but I don['t think you will like it very well....
How to do it? Just put it in a pot with water to cover, add a cut up onion some celery a sprig or 2 of thyme and boil until tender.
Linda C

o

Clair:
I had to come back and comment, again.

Ideefixe:
I don't know if you were being Sarcastic.
If you were I don't appreciate it !!!!!

Clair:
A Pork Roast or Beef Roast can be cooked on the top of the
Stove.
Best in a Heavy Skillet with a Lid or a Heavy Roaster with a Lid.

Brown the meat on all sides and add about an inch of water,
sprinkle on some Spices and
cover with the Lid.

Simmer about 2 1/2 Hours. In the last hour add Vegetables
( Potatoes, Carrots, Celery , etc. )if you like.
When tender take the meat out onto a Platter and make Gravy with the Juices.

This is a Pot Roast. I haven't done it this way for a long while. It will be good.
I use the oven now. My mother did it often. In fact, way back when, many mom's did it this way.

Hope this helps. let us know !!!

Lou

o

I like to boil my pork shoulder roasts. I put them in my Nesco and add sauerkraut and water and then boil away for several hours until the meat just falls apart in the sauerkraut. We love our shoulder roasts made this way.

o

Clairdo2:
????????????????????????????????

o

Hasn't anyone heard of a Dutch Oven? Great for braising on the stovetop.

o

Bbqbear:
I think everyone here knows about Dutch Ovens.

Mine is from the 1940's , All Alluminum Hammered Finish.
They changed the names so many times ,
I just call it an Old Heavy Roasting Pan with a Lid,
with a Hammered finish.
At one time they called them a Waterless Cooker.

I saw mine on Ebay for $125

They are a lot fancier now but the Chickens and Roasts cooked in mine are delicious.

SO WHY CHANGE !!!!! I have an Antique Dutch Oven.
LOU

o

Boiling meat makes it tough. You want to simmer it (little bubbles) rather than a rolling boil like you'd use to cook pasta. I'd sautee onions and garlic in the bottom of the pot, add liquid, meat, and veggies, bring the liquid to a boil (just for a second, so it doesn't raise the temperature of the meat enough to make it tough), then turn the heat all the way down as low as it will go, and cook for several hours. If you boil it too hot, you will end up with a rubbery chunk of meat that refuses to fall apart!

o

I often use a slow cooker to cook a pork roast while I'm at work. More 'simmering' than boiling. The brand I use is a West Bend in which the pot can be removed from the heating element and used on the stove.

Here's what I do: put a quart of cheap chicken stock in the pot, add a healthy amount of garlic and a good squirt of sriracha. Bring that to a boil on the stovetop, add the pork roast, return to a boil and then put the pot on the slow cooker's heating element and allow it to simmer for hours.

After a few hours you have some juicy tasty fall-off-the-bone pork, with much of the fat simmered off and the rest of the fat easily separatable from the meat.

Is it as good as Marcella Hazan's Pork Loin braised in Milk? No. Is it as good as oven roasted pork roast? No. But for the effort expended, it's pretty darn good. I'll often come home for lunch, start this dish, and let it simmer away until I come home after work. The leftovers make great sandwiches.

o

Am BOILING a pork roast tonight.... it is a cajun dish with onion and turnips in a spicy roux.... in honor of Mardi Gras. If done properly, the meat will fall apart and it is MOST delicious... Has a bit of an Asian flavor. Why boil, instead of roast?? So you can cook it in the roux. This dish is not the same if roasted.... Be open minded people!!

o

boiling a roast today
will slow boil it for two hours then will roast or bake it for an hour with veggys
great way to have tinder and tasty pork
or you can roast it or you can rotisserie it or
lol there are a bunch of ways to cook
to bad there are some on here that seem to think they are the only right way IE ( Posted by ideefixe (My Page) on Tue, May 5, 09 at 19:49

Lou--thanks for clearing that up. I guess she can put in a pot with a lot of water and boil away. And then toss in the nearest handy trash can.)
to bad they caN'T HELP and or learn a new way

sir grumpalot at your service lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here