Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Microphone cupcake question

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 13:11

I would like to make these for my boys' rock star birthday party, but I want the cone to be black and the top to be silver. I've found silver sprinkles, and of course, the little ball type. Which kind would you choose? Also, how in the world will I be able to turn the cones black? I would think I could dye them, but how?
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Microphone cupcake question

Airbrush with food color?

Test the cones first. That type of cone can get soggy in a hurry.

ML

o

What about using the other style cone and wrapping them in paper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cone wrap template.

o

You can airbrush it with edible paint. Amerimist and Duff's brand makes some. Wilton makes a black color mist too, but I think in general black is going to be difficult. At best you'll end up with a grayish color and it might taste weird with all that color.

Probably the easiest thing would be to dip it in very dark chocolate but that would be really messy when people are holding it.

Maybe buy some black fondant, roll it out thin and roll it around the cone? That would be my choice.

I would use sprinkles over the balls but then again I go for taste over how it looks and I don't like the crunch! Good luck, they are cute! Please post pics when you're done.

o

I really like the dark chocolate idea, but they are toddlers- yikes! Maybe I could dip the top part of the cone, then have the rest wrapped so they can hold it? Or dip the whole cone, but wrap the bottom half. I wonder if it would cause a melty mess underneath the wrapping?

o

You could make your chocolate ice cream cones. Here is a blog with some how to.

There may be a better recipe or method out there. I did a quick search.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY chocolate cones.

o

Don't they still cell chocolate cones? Brown, not black, but.. .

Since they are toddlers, I like the idea of wrapping the cone in black paper! But how old toddlers... will they eat the paper? LOL

o

Toddlers should not have a mouth full of silver ball sprinkles....
I would try for the look below.....with the part you hold being a cardboard tube wrapped in silver paper, with a tall round piece of cake on top, covered with black or chocolate sprinkles ( or dipped in chocolate that hardens when refrigerated) and a piece of licorice whip on the bottom for the cord.

Here is a link that might be useful: microphone

o

Barnmom, thank you for looking that up, they look really yummy and might be an option if I can figure out how to make them into the right shape. Bizzo- I'm not sure if they would eat the papers! But we'll be watching them at all times, so if they start to, we'll just have to yank them out of their mouths and listen to a whole lot of crying- nothing new! Lindac, the ball sprinkles I was looking at were very small, the same size as the rainbow ones that come on donuts- would that still be a concern? I've never used or even had ball sprinkles so I don't know much about them. I like the licorice whip idea.

o

My first thought was those chocolate wafers that are used for that stack cake with the whipped cream. They are very dark brown in color.

You could pulverize them in a food processor, brush the cones with beaten egg whites, roll them in the chocolate crumbs, and bake them for a few minutes to dry out the egg white and adhere the crumbs.

o

I hate those ball things. They're like biting into rocks. I vote sprinkles!

For the cones, I think I'd either make a waffle cone or more likely just go with the regular sugar cone. It's actually closer to a real microphone than a chocolate color would be. Yes there's a few black microphones often with yellow windscreens but most professional mics are that "gunmetal" color, gray-like. And for another effect, I'd go one step farther and put some black licorice whips on the cones for a mic cord.

o

If I was doing this, I would be trying to make the mike using Liquorice candies. They are shiny and black.

I will be crazy enough to get a mini wireless FM microphone (about $15.00) and bury it in one of the mike cupcakes. Imagine you can sing into a cupcake mike and it would actually work like a real microphone!

dcarch

o

LOL, dcarch, kids would love to play with you!

I also vote sprinkles and I know I've purchased chocolate ice cream cones before, they come in a box of all different colors, though.

Most of all, have fun.

Annie

o

Thank you all. Dcarch, I can only imagine what your creative mind would come up with! You are welcome here as a party planner/caterer any time! Ruthanna, your idea is amazing as well.

o

I have seen the colored spray for icing, but I don't know if it is available in black. I think it's called 'color mist'.

Michaels has silver sprinkles and flecks that may be better for the toddlers as well.

Very cute idea!

o

These are cute - fun idea for a kid's party!

Here is a link that might be useful: Microphone cones

o

They are SO darn cute! Unfortunately, I am having a heck of a time finding those mini cones. Joy, the company that makes them, doesn't sell them online but does tell you where you can find them- for me, that would be a Walmart an hour and a half away. But I like that pic so much I may just have to do it! And with the cone dipped in chocolate and the licorice whip cord on TOP of a cupcake- oh, I can just see them now. You are all awesome, thanks!

o

Keep it simple. I'd look to find chocolate cones, I too know I have eaten some, lol! It doesn't have to be too realistic looking anyway, to a toddler, with a little coaxing, a spoon is a microphone!

o

I found some Oreo ice cream cones at the below link. It looks like they are available from several online places but I don't know if a regular grocery store would have them anymore. They aren't completely black but I think they would look nice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oreo Ice Cream Cones

o

Thanks, Chi!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here