SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Bean Cuisine

booberry85
15 years ago

I seem to be in a bean rut! I make three things with beans: chili, bean soup and BBQ beans and that's it. Plus, with the cost of everything else going up, beans (dried) still remain reasonably cheap. Please post your favorite bean recipes.

Comments (37)

• fearlessem
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love cannelini beans, and one of my favorite things to make with them is a pasta dish with sauteed zucchini, onions, garlic, tuna-in-oil, cannelini beans, and some fresh rosemary... Yum!

Emily

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Off of the top of my head:

Black-Eyed Pea Salad
    Texas Cavier
    South of the Border Salad (with black beans)
    Tuscan Beans (cannelini)
    Butterbeans with bacon and green onions (I like to use fresh butterbeans if at all possible)

• Related Discussions

Beans served in Europe

Q

Comments (17)
    Crnogorac, "pasulj" is the name for all beans in Serbian and does not specify any one variety. "Tetovac" and "Bob" closey resemble dorthyroders description. However there are so many other varieties that come very close that it is impossible to get an accurate indentification without further information about the growth habit and other characterstics. I do love Tetovac for cooking "chorba" and "prebranac" dishes. Alex
    ...See More

how much to plant for dry beans?

Q

Comments (22)
    I shy away from resurrecting old threads, but this is the best discussion I've found anywhere on this. So here I go. So I'm a weirdo and do beans in a system of semi-raised beds, two being 3'x18' on either side of a center one being a large mound that's 5'x18'. My strategy has been to plant pole beans in the middle of the rows, and bush beans densely around the sides. The mound has pole beans in the middle and then a lot of space for a jungle of bush beans on the slopes. I felt like I was doing pretty good until I read the above. Those yields are great! Mine aren't quite as high, but after everything else is added in I'm looking at probably 27 lbs of dry beans from around 200sqft of space. I grow Ireland Creek Annie and Rockwell bush beans, and Annie Jackson and Scarlet Runner pole beans. That garden is nicknamed "Jupiter". Hoping to construct "Saturn" in coming years and add a few more varieties. Wealth is burying your hands into a massive bowl of dry beans. :) Phil Whidbey Island WA
    ...See More

Which Cuisine Best For Desert Island

Q

Comments (33)
    I'll follow your rules, John. You were very clear that it is intended to be a tough choice, with no weaseling, and it is tough. Mexican cuisine is far more refined and varied than is usually known. It has ancient roots. It is underestimated and underappreciated because the restaurant versions are so limited. Even in Mexico the best is not to be found in most restaurants. The chef you describe would serve outstanding Mexican food on a daily basis and I would be more than happy with it. Middle Eastern, Chinese or Japanese would be quite OK with me. I would have no problem subsisting on a diet of any of those if prepared by the master chef. I have to choose one however and that would have to be Italian. Not the Italian food typically found in restaurants in the U.S. although I like that. Like Mexican restaurants, they serve only a caricature of the cuisine, namely everything with red sauce and cheese. The master chef would serve up an incredible range of dishes. Vegetables would be prepared in countless ways, not to mention seafood, which I love. The wines would not be imported, they would be Italian wines, which are equal in quality to any French wines but have more character. French was not my choice of cuisine because, although it is good, it derives from the Italian and loses in the translation. My chef would not be wasting his time carving potatoes into batons. He would be cooking boldly, not timidly and fussily. Nuance would be there when it is important but not as an affectation. His pantry would be stocked with the best possible staples, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Prosciutto di Parma, various Pecorinos, Aceto Balsamico di Modena, white truffles and fine olive oil from Lucca. Coffee would be concocted to suit different moods and time of day, cappuccino to start the day, expresso for an afternoon pick-me-up. I would have an occasional gelato or one of the many baked sweet treats. I could live on that cuisine. Jim
    ...See More

what is the name of this bean?

Q

Comments (8)
    Carol already told you the name. Lens culinaris...the lentil bean. Unless you are referring to one of the many other images that pops up on that site: I saw these, among other various photos: -lycium barbarum (goji/wolfberry) -Vigna unguiculata (long beans, yardlong beans) -Lo Han Guo (traditional Chinese drink...may also have been a Chinese bloody mary) -bean sprouts of some sort -mung bean noodles (? - might be yaki soba, sweet potato noodles or rice noodles) -an attractive hairstyle *-dolichos lablab ("bean moonshadow", aka. hyacinth bean; another popular edible bean with a bright red to purple pod in Asian cuisine) *There is much controversy over the toxicity, or lackthereof, of hyacinth beans. Also, note there are different strains of hyacinth bean. The hyacinth bean that is used in Asian cuisine is dolichos lablab. To be completely honest, I RARELY cook dolichos lablab, as we find it unpalatable (similar to lima beans, but myself and my family prefer lima beans), but my father-in-law loves them, so when he visits, I prepare them for him. To be cautious, always SAFELY prepare, even if you are SURE you have the dolchios lablab strain. They all (aside from white) look remarkably similar. You must boil the beans well, and change the water used for boiling often. When I prepare them, I have my strainer in the sink, ready. I use my soup pot (4 qt) and fill it with water and get the water boiling. I also get my 20 qt stock pot out and fill it with water, and get it boiling. This is my reserve for when I need to change the water. Once the water is boiling, I add the beans to the 4 qt stock pot. I boil for 5 minutes, then change the water, using the boiling water from my 20 qt stock pot. I use a ladle to transfer the water. I then add another 4 qts of water to the stock pot. I change the water 4-6 times, every 3-5 minutes, depending on the amount of beans I am preparing. I am extremely careful though (children), so others might prepare theirs with less frequent water changes. As a kicker, those pretty pods don't stay vibrant red or purple, and you don't eat them; and the beans are a dull grayish purple - more gray than purple.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    15 years ago

Becky, I just made a really good low fat 7 layer bean dip, that's a meal for me instead of an appetizer.

I made a pot of beans last week, so I cut up an onion and a clove of garlic, sauteed in a drop of olive oil, added a couple of cups of beans and mashed it up with a potato masher. Seasoned to taste with some cumin, salt, pepper, some canned green chilies and spread them on a plate. I added a layer of low fat sour cream, a layer of salsa, alayer of shredded fresh spinach (most people use iceburg lettuce), some chopped tomato, minced red onion, chopped avacado and topped it all with shredded cheese. It was very yummy with some of Trader Joe's flaxseed tortilla chips.

I also make a corn and black bean salad from Cooking Light:

All-Purpose Southwestern Corn and Black Bean Rate and

This recipe makes 12 servings and keeps in the refrigerator up to 5 days. It's quite versatile--add shredded chicken and serve tortillas on the side to make it a main-dish salad. Or serve it as a dip with baked tortilla chips, a side for burgers or grilled chicken, or a salad on a bed of lettuce.

Ingredients
    Salad:
    1 pound dried black beans
    11 1/2 cups water, divided
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups fresh corn kernels
    2 cups chopped seeded tomato
    1 cup finely chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper
    Dressing:
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons honey
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 jalape peppers, seeded and minced
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation
    To prepare salad, sort and wash the beans. Combine beans and 5 1/2 cups water in a 6-quart pressure cooker. Close lid securely; bring to high pressure over high heat. Adjust heat to medium or level needed to maintain high pressure; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; place cooker under cold running water. Remove lid. Drain beans; rinse with cold water. Drain and cool.
    Heat 1 teaspoon oil in cooker over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and 2 garlic cloves; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add beans and 6 cups water. Close lid securely; bring to high pressure over high heat. Adjust heat to medium or level needed to maintain high pressure, and cook 12 minutes. Remove from heat; place cooker under cold running water. Remove lid. Drain bean mixture; rinse with cold water. Drain and cool. Combine bean mixture, corn, tomato, onion, and bell peppers in a large bowl.

To prepare dressing, combine juice and next 7 ingredients (juice through jalapeños), stirring with a whisk. Stir in cilantro. Pour dressing over bean mixture; stir gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

Yield
    12 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 216(21% from fat); FAT 5g (sat 0.7g,mono 3g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 10g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 65mg; SODIUM 408mg; FIBER 8g; IRON 2.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 35.7g

I like beans and rice, Ashley says this is like the stuff she ate in Costa Rica:

Gallo Pinto

You will find this dish or a version of it served at almost every meal in Costa Rica. For breakfast it is commonly served with either fried or scrambled eggs.

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
    1 tablespoon finely chopped bell pepper
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 cups cooked black beans
    3 cups leftover cooked rice
    1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco (optional)
    2 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
    3 strips bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled (optional)
    Preparation:

Sauté onion and bell peppers in oil on medium heat. Add beans and cook 2 minutes. Add rice and mix together. Cook 3 minutes, then add Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce (if using) and cilantro and mix well. To serve, garnish with crumbled bacon (if desired). A few squirts of Salsa Lizano most likely will find its way on top of this dish.

You could make some vegetarian bean "burgers", I like these, seasonings can be adjusted to taste and you could use different beans.

Spicy Black Bean Burger:
    2 cups cooked black beans
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 Tbsp. fresh minced ginger
    2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
    2 carrots, grated
    1 stalk celery, sliced thin
    1 small bell pepper, diced
    2 cups bread crumbs
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper

Roughly mash beans, not too mushy :) Heat oil. Add ginger and cumin, sautee till seeds are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add carrot, celery, bell pepper and crushed red pepper and saute till tender. Mix all ingredients together, season with salt and pepper to taste.
    Shape into patties. Heat a little olive oil in skillet, fry burgers over medium low heat until golden brown on each side.

I just found this one, I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to!

Black Bean-Taco Salad with Lime

Vinaigrette:
    1/4 cup chopped seeded tomato
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon grated lime rind
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 garlic clove, peeled
    Salad:
    8 cups thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
    1 1/2 cups chopped ready-to-eat roasted skinned, boned chicken breast (about 2 breasts)
    1 cup chopped tomato
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup finely diced red onion
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    4 cups fat-free baked tortilla chips (about 4 ounces)

To prepare vinaigrette, combine first 11 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
    To prepare salad, combine lettuce and remaining ingredients except chips in a large bowl. Add vinaigrette; toss well to coat. Serve with chips.

Yield
    4 servings (serving size: about 2 cups salad and 1 cup chips)

Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 402(28% from fat); FAT 12.6g (sat 3.2g,mono 6.5g,poly 1.9g); PROTEIN 24.5g; CHOLESTEROL 35mg; CALCIUM 236mg; SODIUM 861mg; FIBER 8g; IRON 3.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 51.6g

Cooking Light, JULY 2000

What else? Bean tacos/tostadas/burritos/chimachungas, any of which I like. There's Lori's white bean dip which is also a meal for me, instead of an appetizer. Baked beans are always good, I love 'em.

Lots and lots of things you can do with beans. I know this because I'm from Michigan, which produces dried beans. 90% of our cranberry beans are shipped to Italy, Portugal, Spain and Columbia and Michigan is the largest supplier of dried beans to Europe. No Michigan beans are GMO and only North Dakota grows more beans, Michigan is the #2 bean producing state in the U.S.

So yes, we eat LOTS of beans, LOL. They're good, cheap, locally grown, what could be better?

Annie

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Blend them into dips, put them in salads and soups. Pickle them.

• gardengrl
    15 years ago

Oooh! Do you have a pressure cooker? If so, check out my post I wrote on dried lima beans (link below). I LOVE lima beans and have made this soup at least 3 times in the last month or two.

If you don't have a PC, you can still make this soup, but it will take longer.

Here is a link that might be useful: My recipe for lima beans

• triciae
    15 years ago

Also, don't overlook the obvious...bean burritos! Either black or pinto beans mashed in a bit of hot oil & a touch of the bean cooking liquid until they are the consistency you want. S/P, to taste. Add either just cheese, lettuce, diced onion, & salsa (we prefer green salsa); or add shredded beef to the mix. Season the beef with cumin, garlic, chilis, onions, & S/P.

I also serve refried beans with eggs for brunch.

/tricia

• traceys
    15 years ago

I love Pasta e Fagioli. My version doesn't have any meat. It's how my uncle made it. I puree some of the cannelini beans in the food processor to thicken it and also because my daughter won't eat beans yet.

My recipe isn't on this computer. I'll try to post it later. There are a lot of recipes out there for it. It's one of my son's favorites so I make it often.

Tracey

• arley_gw
    15 years ago

Red beans and rice.

Don't really have a recipe, but cook the beans down with some flavorful sausage like andouille, some onions, a bay leaf, and maybe celery and green pepper. Red and black pepper to taste. If you have a hambone, throw it in--that adds a lot of flavor and texture. Season to taste and serve over rice.

One hint regarding any beans: don't salt the broth in which you are cooking the beans. Makes 'em tough.

Very cheap and filling, and great food, too. Louis Armstrong used to sign his letters, "Red beans and ricely yours", and he mentions in one of his songs about some no-good louse hanging around his house flirting with his wife, and complains about this interloper committing the horrible sin of "Eatin' up all my red beans and rice..."

The name of the song? "I'll Be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal, You."

• jimtex
    15 years ago

I second the red beans and rice. I boil the beans with no seasoning until just about tender then dump the water and start over with fresh. Thats when I add the seasoning and meat and cook until they are just about mush. It takes all day but it's worth it.

• Lars
    15 years ago

Minestrone is mostly beans, and it's somewhat similar to Cuban black beans, which someone posted before. Here it is again - it's one of my favorites:

Cuban Black Beans

2 cups Black turtle beans (I didn't measure I used a 1# pkg)
    2 green peppers (1 whole the other diced)
    6 quarts water
    3 TBSP Evoo
    2 ham hocks (I used a 1/2 lb hickory smoked bacon) or turkey legs/thighs
    2 cups thinly sliced onion
    6 garlic cloves minced
    3 TBSP tomato paste (I used the whole can)
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground oregano
    3 bay leaves cracked
    1 TBSP salt to taste
    1 Tsp ground pepper
    3 TBSP chopped cilantro (optional)
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    Soak beans overnight with whole pepper.
    Remove pepper, keep beans in water.
    Saute Evoo, bacon or ham, onion, diced pepper, and garlic until veggies are soft. add to beans, add tom paste, cumin, oregano, bay leaves, and S&P. Bring to a boil and then simmer until beans are tender and sauce thickens. Serve over rice.

I make my bean dip recipe frequently and use it in other recipes, such as migas, burritos, tostados, etc. I also frequently make hummus and have some in the fridge at this moment.

Falafel is mostly beans, and you can use garbanzos instead of fava beans, if you can't find favas.

I make an Egyptian bean dish (Fool Medames) as well, but can't find the recipe at the moment. Here are some Indian style bean recipes, to give you ideas. I make a lot of these recipes, but I always season them to taste. I don't recommend buying pre-mixed Indian spices, as they tend to be mostly salt and pepper, especially if they are from Pakistan. Some of the spice mixes that are actually from India are not too bad, but I always end up doctoring them, and so now I just make my own spice blends. They pretty much always come out somewhat different each time, but that's okay too.

Lars

• sheesh
    15 years ago

A question: When I prepare split peas or dried beans of any sort, I don't throw out the soak water. Never have, and I've made hundreds of pots of beans. All the recipes and someone here said to throw out the soak water. Why?

I check the beans for "junk," rinse them thoroughly, bring to a boil for two minutes, let them sit for an hour. Then, depending on what I want the beans for, I add a ham hock, or ham bone, or salt pork or a beef bone (or nothing at all) to the soaked beans in the pressure cooker and cook for 7 to 12 minutes (depending on the type of bean) in the original soak water. I use the beans for frijoles, bean soups, pasta fagiole, salads, beans and eggs, baked beans, navy bean soup...many different ways, but I've never thrown out the soak water. Neither did my dad. Why do you throw out the soak water?

Sherry

• jimster
    15 years ago

The folks on the Bean Forum (some of whom are you) have a thread on this topic. Click the link below.

I have created a link in the other direction too. We call it cross pollination.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: How Do You Cook Your Beans?

• arley_gw
    15 years ago

Sherry, if you rinse your beans well, you don't need to toss the soak water.

Some people claim, however, that a change of water makes the dish less prone to cause gas.

• jojoco
    15 years ago

Not a real recipe, but I mixed together 2 cans of black beans, 1 can canelloni beans, 1 chopped purple onion, a larged diced tomato, 2 chopped mangos and a 1/4 cup(or less of cilantro. Added some olive oil and the juice of two limes.
    Roll it up like a burrito or dip tortilla chips in it.
    Yum.
    Jo

• sheesh
    15 years ago

Thanks, arley. As for the gas, I guess we're immune! We don't have a problem with it.

Sherry

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for helping me get out of my bean rut. This thread joggled my memory and started my creative juices flowing again. I'll definitely try some of the recipes.

Jim, love the "cross-pollination!"

• annie1992
    15 years ago

LOL, Jim. Cross pollination. (grin)

Annie

• lyndaluu2
    15 years ago

Thanks for the recipes. I've copied and pasted. LOL
    We love beans in our family, although I don't care for Limas. I will try your recipe; gardengrl for Lima beans for DH. He loves them and I rarely make them for him.

Linda

• Cloud Swift
    15 years ago

Don't forget chickpeas/garbanzo beans and lentils and the Indian and Mediterranean cuisines that use them. Lentils cook more quickly so they can be good when you haven't thought to soak in advance.

Manjula's kitchen is a site with Indian recipes including videos for most of the recipes. Manjula should have a cooking show - she makes Indian cooking so accessible. I've put the link to her chola (chana masala) recipe below - a curry with chick peas in tomato gravy.

I've also made falafel from scratch and it was easier than I expected.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manjula's kitchen

• carrie2
    15 years ago

I just made one of my sister's concoctions--two cans of drained chick peas, one stalk of finely diced celery, and a goodly amount of bottled roasted red peppers cut into half-inch pieces (I used two large peppers from a Trader Joe's jar). Dress with mayo, salt, pepper and as much horseradish as you like. This is a good addition to a summer salad plate.

• jimster
    15 years ago

cloud swift,

Count me as another Majula fan. I like videos as an alternative to printed recipes. They convey some visual information that doesn't come across in words. Majula's videos are excellent. Have you seen the one on nan (bread)?

The cholo looks good. I will try that one. Like boo, beans are an important part of my diet. I love them.

Jim

• greenwitch
    15 years ago

My mother who was not a great cook and had little time for cooking anyway used to make a recipe that I loved as a kid (I'm sure she found it in a magazine or on a label), it was basically:
    1 can of drained garbonzo/chick peas
    1 can of drained kidney beans
    1 cup of cooked green beans (I suppose you could use canned)
    1 small can of chopped tomatoes with juice
    1 package of Lowry's Taco spice blend
    Mix all together and heat. Throw in some grated Cheddar cheese and serve over tortilla chips or dip the chips into it. You could add corn kernals, chopped sauteed bell pepper or whatever else comes to mind as a variation.

• mst___
    15 years ago

Booberry, I have a cookbook that I haven't used in years. It's called "The Bean Cookbook". If your interested I can send it to you.
    Teri

• dances_in_garden
    15 years ago

I like cooking my own beans because I can control the salt etc., but I will used canned in a pinch. Sometimes I cook up a big batch of relatively plain beans, then freeze two cups at a time (with cooking juices) and use them in recipes that call for canned beans. That way they are still convenient (defrost in the micro) and I still get to control my beans!

I like to marinate leftover beans (not enough for a meal, say, but too much to throw away) in italian dressing. Then I add chopped veggies or toss them into my evening salad. They are also good "dipped up" with whole grain tortilla chips, pita chips, or crackers.

Another use is to puree very flavourful beans and use as a spread on good sturdy bread with veggies and cheese for a knockout grilled sandwich or panini. Excellent with sprouts, when I can get good ones at a good price around here.

I like black beans especially mixed with salsa and a bit of sour cream, and maybe even some corn kernals, again for dipping.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Teri, I'd love to take you up on your offer for the cookbook!

Recently, I bought Black Turtle Beans that I need to experiment with.

I'm glad the thread was revived.

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

Thanks for the recipe gardengrl. I love dried lima's also and I'm definitely going to make that soup.

My favorite bean is the pinto and I like them refried with a little onion and bacon drippings best. Another thing I like is because I can use canned ones and use some chicken broth to thin it. Yum.

• jimster
    15 years ago

dancesingarden,

You have an appreciation for beans. I wholeheartedly second everything you said.

Jim

• Terrapots
    15 years ago

Another idea is to take your cooked beans, mash them as for refried beans. Buy a stack of corn tortillas that have been fried flat or fry your own. Put a dab of beans on a plate to hold tortilla in place, a gob of beans on top, spread over tortilla. Top with chopped lettuce mixed with a little mayo, I add a little salt, or shred lettuce very fine and top it with diced tomatoes, guacamole, salsa. You can also add any kind of protein. This uses a lot of beans and they disappear real fast. I also like nachos made with real refried beans, lots of shredded cheese over tortilla chips, toss in hot oven or microwave to melt cheese, top with salsa or mix salsa with the cheese, melt together and pour over chips and beans.

SometimesI just take freshly cooked pinto beans in a bowl and top with catsup. DH can't watch, he likes his beans pretty plain if you don't count the cheese.

• craftyrn
    15 years ago

Doc & I have been on a "modified" South Beach diet for a couple of months now-- he's lost a total of 29 #s-- I've dropped 18-- and this recipe is a favorite of ours-- sounds nasty but tastes great-- recipe is from the South Beach site--not sure who the comments are from. I use the almond meal.

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: South Beach p1

Cinnamon/Spice Flavored Muffins
    ================================
    1 can Great Northern or Cannelini beans, drained, rinsed well, drained
    4 large eggs (I now use one whole egg and 4 egg whites for less cholesterol)
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon cinnamon (or mixture of pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon)
    Optional: I also added a few grinds of freshly grated nutmeg
    1 teaspoon vanilla or other extracts
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3/4 cup Splenda
    (my new addition: 1/4 c. flaxmeal/ground flaxseed or 1/4 c. almond meal/flour)
    . I combined the beans and eggs in a blender until smooth (no bean
    chunks); then added the rest of ingredients and blended again. Poured
    into muffin pan (I got about 8 muffins). You can add sprinkled
    cinnamon/Splenda over the top, but I don't think you need to if the
    spices are in the batter. I baked them at 350 for about 25-30 min
    (until toothpick inserted comes out very clean). The original recipe
    said 400, but I forgot and used 350. It worked out well anyway.

I have found our favorite addition to any of the bean muffin or brownie
    recipes to make them less moist and they even hold together better when
    I don't use real eggs. It also makes them even more nutritious, but you
    need to count it toward your nut treat for the day. But it is still a
    Phase 1 addition.

Note: 1/4 cup = 4 T. (divide the amount by the number of muffins you
    make to find out just how much is in each muffin for the allotment) I
    think that the small amount in each muffin is minimal.

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

I do not know where I found this recipe, but it is a favorite, esp for summertime. It is great for a side when serving fajitas, pork or chicken.
    It is quick and easy and a little different and colorful. I add a finely chopped hot pepper for alittle heat.

"Black 'n' White Bean Salad is a cool, hearty side dish Kay Ogden created after tasting a similar one in a restaurant. 'It goes together in no time and complements most entrees,' reports this Grants Pass, Oregon reader."
    PREP TIME 10 Min
    READY IN 10 Min
    SERVINGS & SCALING
    Original recipe yield: 4 servings
    US METRIC

About scaling and conversions
    INGREDIENTS

* 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    * 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    * 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
    * 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
    * 1/4 cup chopped onion
    * 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
    * 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    * 1/4 cup olive oil
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    * 1/8 teaspoon pepper
    * Lettuce Leaves

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, combine the beans, cucumber, onion and cilantro. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil and seasonings. Pour over bean mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Using a slotted spoon, serve over lettuce if desired.

Diabetic Exchanges: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared without salt) equals 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat; also, 187 calories, 219 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 26 gm carbohydrate, 9 gm protein, 5 gm fat.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Teri, I just received the book today. It's beautiful! and on tonight's menu - Chili! I've been craving it!

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

You can also use mashed beans as a thickening in soups. Here's one that is so quick to make but tastes like it's been simmering for hours.

SHORTCUT HEARTY BEAN SOUP

1/ 4 lb. cooked ham, in one piece
    2 medium-size celery stalks
    2 medium-size carrots, peeled
    1 medium-size onion, peeled
    1 medium size yellow squash (about 8 oz.) (can substitute zucchini)
    1 (40 oz.) can cooked Great Northern beans or 2 cans white kidney beans
    1 Tbs. olive oil
    1/ 2 tsp. dried basil leaves
    1/ 4 tsp. pepper
    1 (14 to 16 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
    1 cup fresh spinach, packed, stems removed, and chopped
    2 cups water
    Grated Parmesan cheese

Cut ham into 1/2 inch cubes, dice celery, thinly slice carrots, chop onion, and dice squash. Drain and rinse beans. Remove 1 ½ cups of beans to medium bowl and mash into a smooth paste with a fork or potato masher. In large pot, cook ham, celery, carrots, onion, and squash in oil over medium heat until vegetables are tender and begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in basil, pepper, tomatoes, chicken broth, spinach, bean paste, and water. Over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Stir in remaining beans; heat through. Add salt to taste. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese if desired.

Note: Ham can come from the deli section and spinach from the salad bar at the grocery store.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

I know I'm kind of late to the party, but this thread continues to be timely, IMHO. Especailly for people who are interested in cutting down on food costs. I eat beans almost every day. Last week I had meat-eating company and my weekly grocery bill was $150.00. This week, no meat, $65.00. Now some of the stuff I bought the week before is lasting until now, but my bill is consistently below 100 bucks when I don't buy meat. (Plus do a whole lot of other cost cutting measures that I won't go into here). And the only meat I did buy was chicken and splurging on scallops, so it doesn't take much.

So, for all you folks who are trying to be frugal--at the very least, use meat and fresh vegetables as condiments, and strech your dollars with beans and grains! Frankly I love beans and never miss the meat. However, I don't have a touch tummy and am rarely bothered by bean gas. However, I think my secret is never eat a lot of beans late in the day. Also, keep the dishes light. A late, rich bean dinner scarfed down in a hurry is a recipe for intestinal disaster.

Here are some summer bean salads I really enjoy.

Marinated Blackeyed Peas (4 servings)

1 can blackeyed peas
    1 rib celery - chopped
    1TBLSP finely chopped onion (I like red in salads)
    1 TBLSP olive oil or other salad oil
    1 TBLSP vinegar
    1 TBLSP mayo
    1/4 tsp. salt (I use lemon pepper here)
    dash cayenne
    1 ripe tomato

Drain and rinse peas, add chopped stuff except tomato. Combine dressing ingredients and mix with salad. Chill several hours and serve with tomato on lettuce cups. Can be doubled to serve for a crowd. Can add some green or red pepper, and sub a scallion for the onion. Can add more dressing if it seems bland.

Totu "Tuna" and White Bean Salad (This may be from "Vegetarian Times" magazine)
    8 servings

2 cups cooked cannellini beans
    8 oz. baked marinated tofu, italian style (If you can't get this in your grocery, follow my instructions on the vegan thread, or google how to do it, or search this forum as I've posted instructions before.)
    1/3 cup chopped black olives, preferrably cured (I LOVE kalamatta, that's what I use)
    1/2 cup sliced red onion
    2 large celery stalks (diced)
    1/4 cup fresh parsley
    2 TBLSP EVOO
    Juice of 1/2-1 lemon
    fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste

Combine ingredients and allow to marinate for an hour. Can add more dressing if if seems to need it, it's a matter of your taste and diet. Serve over a bed of lettuce. If you absolutely hate tofu, you can sub a can of actual tuna for the tofu. This is a traditional italian/french type dish. You can also make it with garbanzo beans.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Here's one more I had left and forgot about.

Missouri Botanical Garden's 3-Bean Salad
    (I think this came from Midwest Living Magazine a long time ago!)
    10 servings

1 15 oz. can black beans or kidney beans
    1 15 oz. can great northern beans
    1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
    1 large tomato
    1 cup chopped sweet red, green and/or yellow pepper
    2/3 cup chopped red onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 TBLSP dried crushed basil
    2 TBLSP snipped fresh parsley
    2 TBLSP EVOO
    2 TBLSP lemon juice
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
    Dab of mayo

Mix all ingredients together and chill. You might try this with fresh basil, I'd double the amount. Also might want to increase dressing amounts slightly. I always think the salad recipes I make need more dressing in the end, but it depends on your taste and diet.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

This was very simple but had great flavor (IMO).

White Beans and Spinach Ragout (BHG 2002)

2 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
    1 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes (use fresh summer tomatoes if possible)
    1 15 oz. can canellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained (sub. dry)
    4 cups torn fresh spinach
    4 tsp. bottled balsamic or red wine vinaigrette

In a large skillet cook bacon pieces until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon, reserving 1 TBS. drippings in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels.

Add onion to skillet; cook about 3 mins. or until just tender. Drain tomatoes, reserving 1/3 cup liquid. Stir tomatoes, reserved liquid, and beans into onion. Cook and stir over medium heat about 2 mins. or until heated through.

Stir in 3 cups spinach; cover and cook until wilted, about 30 seconds. Stir in bacon and remaining spinach. Spoon into four bowls. Drizzle each serving with 1 tsp. vinaigrette.

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

Beans, beans, the magical fruit!
    The more you eat the more you toot!
    The more you toot the better you feel!
    So, eat beans at every meal!~ Go beans!

• jolj
    12 years ago

TEXAS CAVIER From M.Huffman.
    is just kind of what I pulled together:
    Ingredients
    1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
    1 can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 small can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained,
    2 medium cans of white shoepeg corn
    1 can of Rotel tomatoes, medium, drained
    1 small can chopped green chiles
    2 medium tomatoes, chopped
    1 small onion, chopped
    chopped red, orange, or green bell pepper - probably 1/3 cup or so
    sprinkle of garlic salt
    1 small bottle of Zesty Italian dressing
    As desired jalapenos

Directions
    Combine everything and let marinate overnight.
    Serve with Tostitos dipping chips.
    ENJOY!

You can use smaller cans to decrease the amount for a smaller group.

My wife makes this about 4 times a year & we love it.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor