Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite pizza topping combos

Posted by gibby3000 (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 11:46

Hi - here I am again with one of my rare posts soliciting input from the cooking wizards. I usually only post something when I'm on vacation or holiday and have more time to experiment with cooking.

Though it's a somewhat unpleasant, rainy Memorial Day weekend I'm going to attempt to make pizza on my Big Green Egg. I never make pizza (indoors or out) and I'm looking for ideas for interesting, tasty topping combos. We are not big meat pizza fans though we sometimes have chicken or Canadian bacon. It could be entirely veggie and that would be fine with me.

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite pizza topping combos

I like fresh sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, a mixture of cheeses (asiago, goat, mozzarella, Parmesan) garlic pan seared shrimp and caramelized onions.
That is my favorite pizza!

o

I like a simple thin sliced potato, olive oil, s&p, and fresh rosemary pizza. I parcook the potato slices in the microwave before placing them on the pizza. A little fresh minced garlic wouldn't hurt, either.

To please a pizza lover on a low sodium diet I made a faux pork sausage pizza with lean ground pork sauteed with sausage seasonings but no salt. It was a hit.

E

o

Gibby,

On a veggie pizza I like tomatoes, spinach, artichokes, onions, black olives and mushrooms.

On a meat pizza i like sausage & mushroom or pepperoni and onion.

This alfredo pizza is also good:

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Chicken Alfredo Pizza
Adapted from the best of Cooking Light

1 c shredded, cooked chicken breast
1 c fresh spinach, chopped
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
12 inch pizza crust
1/2 c bottled alfredo sauce
3/4 c shredded fontina cheese

Preheat oven to 400F.

Combine chicken, spinach, lemon juice, salt & pepper and toss together.

Spread minced garlic over unbaked pizza crust, top with alfredo sauce, then chicken/spinach mixture, then cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes or until crust is crisp and cheese is golden brown. Cut into 8 wedges and serve.

Linda

o

We'll ignore the spam topping and hope it crawls back into the can!
I like a margherita pizza....
Olive oil, garlic...LOTS of garlic, slices of fresh tomato, basil leaves and at it's purest, shreds of Parmesan...if you are going to be less traditional, add some mozzerella.

I also like sliced tomatoes, rings of green peppers, sweet onion rings and mozzerella....be sure to lio and dress with garlic before you start adding.

o

Ahh pizza, we love the pizza. I make it frequently. My all time favorite is probably potato pesto, but I also really like sun-dried tomato and arugula pesto. You can see some more on my blog, linked below.

Have fun!
Oh! And Blue cheese with toasted walnut, mmmmm

Here is a link that might be useful: My favorite pizzas

o

Roasted garlic is great added to a veggie pizza!

o

My two favorites are either a round table-style gourmet veg (white sauce with veggies) or pesto with caramelized onions and olives- sounds strange, but I once had it on a Trader Joe's frozen pizza and I've been making it ever since.

o

Pizza goes great on the grill. But I'm a carnivore that likes lots of cheese and a good tasty tomato sauce. I always figure if I want a salad I'll have it on the side.

o

Ooohhhhh - these sound great - thank!! Made my dough today - hopefully that will work as described.

o

Late in posting this, I hope your grilled pizza went well. I used Inas dough and method last weekend and it was great! I did swap a few toppings on a couple of them to please veryone in the house.

If you ever need to reference it, here is the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Ina Garten Grilled pizza

o

We bbq pizza frequently. My favorite combos are:

bbq chicken
bacon
cilantro
gouda
(tomato sauce/bbq sauce base)

thinly sliced steak
mushrooms
roasted red peppers
red onion
blue cheese

thinly sliced cooked potatoes
green onions
bacon
sour cream (seasoned with salt/pepper/chili powder)
drizzle w/ olive oil.

o

Not too late - I'm just making this tonight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here