Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Razor clams?

Posted by angelaid (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 11:45

Girlfriend brought me some razor clams she harvested on the Pacific coast yesterday. They are shelled and cleaned. I love steamed clams, but I've never had razor clams before. What is your favorite way to prepare them? And what sides?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Razor clams?

Mmmm fried! Here is a recipe from the Seattle Times that is close to what I do (I don't have a recipe, just dip in flour, egg, cracker crumbs). Just don't overcook or they will be shoe leather. I add a bit of oil to the butter to reduce browning. There is a second recipe in this article that I haven't made, but looks delish, too.
Fried Razor Clams
4 medium-to-large cleaned, fresh razor clams
Seasoned flour (1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon sea salt, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon sweet paprika)
Egg wash (2 beaten eggs, 1 tablespoon water)
2 cups crushed panko breadcrumbs or finely crushed Ritz crackers

4 tablespoons butter

1 lemon, cut into wedges

Dredge razor clams in seasoned flour, then in egg wash, then in panko or Ritz crumbs. In medium-size heated frying pan, melt butter. Add clams and fry for two to three minutes per side or until golden brown. Serve with lemon wedges.

I would serve with my go to non-creamy coleslaw: cabbage, tarragon, garlic salt, olive oil, sugar (just a touch), vinegar. The clams are so sweet, you don't want sides that are sweet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Razor Clam recipes

o

Thank you olychick. Can't wait for dinner tonight!

o

Batter fried razor clams!

dcarch

o

How big are these razor clams?! The ones we used to dig here in NH and MA must be a heck of a lot smaller. We'd need at least 8-10 fried to make a serving. Can't dig them any more here, it's illegal. Sure do miss the flavor and texture though...

o

"Can't dig them any more here, it's illegal."

When did this happen? Where can I get info on this? The only info I have says it is legal in both NH and MA. Licensing is different. NH requires no license for razor clamming. In MA a town issued permit is required for shellfish and regs are town by town.

East Coast razor clams are different from West Coast razors. They are more long and narrow in shape with a slightly curved shell. They are meaty and good steamed or in a chowder. Catching them bare-handed is good sport. They require fast digging and their shells are sharp.

Jim

o

A little more research revealed that no license is required in NH for razor clamming. You must be a NH resident however.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: NH Shellfish Regulations

o

They were very large. Maybe five times the size of a steamer clam that we are used to. I soaked them in buttermilk and Tabasco for about an hour. Dredged in crushed saltines. Let sit on a rack for about an hour and deep fried. Very good. There was some sort of muscle, or something, I think I was supposed to remove. It was tough and inedible. Hubby kept calling it the "tongue". We had to cut it out of each clam.

o

Jim,
It's been awhile since I'ven done any clammin' and I took someone's advice re: the legality of digging razor clams. I should know better... No license needed in NH, looks like I need to get out my clam fork and pail and dig some razor clams.

o

Good thing you found out, moosemac. Happy clamming!

Angelaid, that tough bit is the adductor mussel, which is found in all bivalves (clams, oysters, mussels, etcs.) It tightens to pull the two shells together when the animal wants to "clam up". The adductor muscle is tougher in some bivalves than in others. In scallops, it is the desirable edible part.

Jim

o

Here is a good song to sing when you are out on the clam flats:

No longer the slave to ambition,
I laugh at the world and its shams,
And I think of my happy condition
Surrounded by acres of clams.

Surrounded by acres of clams,
Surrounded by acres of clams,
And think of my happy condition
Surrounded by acres of clams.

If you want to hear the tune or see more verses, click the link below.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Acres of Clams

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here