Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baking a casserole in a Nesco?

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 11:40

Hey all - I have only used my roaster once, and that was last year to keep Jambalaya warm for Derby Day. It is suffocatingly hot here today and I am dreading putting on the oven, so I would like to know if I can bake a casserole in the Nesco. Do I need to adjust the time or temp?

Thanks so much in advance! I hope I can make this work... otherwise it is just going to be salad for tonight.

Alexa

Here is the recipe:

Mexican Style Brown Rice Casserole

Weight Watchers Recipe
Ratings (1520)
8PointsPlus Value
Prep time: 12 min
Cook time: 30 min
Serves: 6
Like a burrito in a bowl, this dish is great for parties. Serve a big salad on the side.
Ingredients
1 spray(s) cooking spray
4 cup(s) cooked brown rice
1 1/4 cup(s) fat free salsa
1 tsp ground cumin
15 oz canned refried beans
10 oz frozen corn kernels, thawed
4 oz canned green chili peppers, mild, diced
1 Tbsp chili powder
10 oz chopped frozen spinach, or collard greens, thawed and set to drain in a strainer over a bowl
3/4 cup(s) low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped (optional; for garnish)
Instructions
• Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 2-quart rectangular, round or oval baking dish with cooking spray
• In a large bowl, combine rice, salsa and cumin. Spoon 2 cups of rice mixture into prepared baking dish and spread out to evenly cover bottom of dish.
• In another large bowl, combine refried beans, corn, chili peppers and chili power. Using a rubber spatula, scrape bean mixture on top of rice layer and smooth out top.
• Squeeze out any excess water from spinach or collard greens and then spread on top of bean layer; sprinkle with 6 tablespoons of cheese. Top with remaining rice mixture and smooth out top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
• Place casserole on a large rimmed baking sheet to catch any spillage. Bake until heated through and cheese is browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro (if desired), cut into 6 pieces and serve.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baking a casserole in a Nesco?

I just found this by accident during some lazy browsing to stay inside in the a/c - a few people do casseroles if you read down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nesco Roaster Thread

o

Not sure what size roaster oven you have but you can make it right in the roaster if you have a 4, 5 or 6 quart oven or use a dish if you use the larger oven.

A "Nesco" as many if not most of their owners lovingly call them is a roaster oven and will do anything an oven will do and more.

As for adjusting time, I wouldn't plan much on it, however it might take a little adjustment for certain things since it's smaller than a conventional oven. I see no reason why that recipe shouldn't work just fine in a Nesco or any other brand of electric roaster oven.

I've made the macaroni/beef hotdish in my 4 qt and 6 qt, the best lasagna I ever made came out of the 4 qt Nesco, and as I've shared several times I've baked bread, meatloaf, burgers, brats, chili, pot roast, ribs, soup, stew, etc, etc... again, if it can be done in a slow cooker or an oven, you can probably do it as well or better in a roaster oven.

o

Thank you both. It worked beautifully! I set it up in the garage and let it rip for 45 min. Perfect! And the recipe is a keeper too...

Thanks again and hope you both had a safe and happy weekend!

Alexa

o

It appears that the casserole is already done, but like cynic, I use the Nesco for many things. I have an 18 quart and a 6 quart. I use the 6 quart the most, it makes a very nice moist roast chicken without turning on the oven, and I've done pork loin, beans, chili, etc. in there too. The big Nesco is my "oven" for things like brownies and casseroles when I don't want to heat up the house, it goes out on the back porch.

I just love the thing, best appliance I've ever purchase.

Annie

o

Thanks Annie!

With the heat here right now I think it is going to be getting a lot of use for the next several days. Cooking in the garage is soooo much better than sweating over the grill or heating up the house.

Alexa

o

Alexa, its so hot that I bet The Naked Cowboy is even dressed too warm!

o

LOL, Woodie. That poor Naked Cowboy better not come to Michigan, though. It was 95F yesterday, 80F today. Now there's supposed to be a high of 60F tomorrow and down in the 50s after that. Poor Cowboy, he'd be...um.....cold. (grin)

Incidentally, the best baked potatoes I've ever made were done in the Nesco, cooked right next to a casserole dish full of swiss steak.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here