SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendetective

I think I committed an egregious faux pas

kitchendetective
9 years ago

I politely asked someone for the recipe for a casserole she had prepared. Her response was that I should ask X, from whom she had gotten the recipe. Then I asked X, and she changed the subject abruptly. I am a Californian who moved to Central Texas. Is asking for a recipe a no-no here?
Sign me,
Hurt in Texas

Comments (51)

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

Before I got married, my future mother-in-law, who couldn't cook if her life depended on it, was proudly serving these to-die-for multi-layer chocolate cakes for Sunday dinner with her over-baked, more like boot leather, round rump roasts that were the size of Texas. Well, I'd never had anything so lovely as her 4-Layer Chocolate Cake with such wonderful heaps of fluffy frosting, so I asked for the recipe. She smiled and said it was a secret recipe she just couldn't give out.

On another occasion I happened to be at the house on Saturday and had to toss something in the trash. There in all it's glory in the bottom of the trash bin were 2 boxes of Duncan Hines deep-dark chocolate cake mix and 2 tubs of Duncan Hines deep-dark chocolate frosting. Gotcha.....

Secret recipe huh?

-Grainlady

• plllog
    9 years ago

I have a friend who is a fabulous baker who uses Duncan Hines mix for chocolate cake. :) She shares her secret though... :)

My experience of Texas is limited, but they're definitely more mannered than we Californians are. Not better mannered. Just have more specific manners for more stuff. Considering that, I, as well as Madonna, think it's doubly rude of X not to answer even if it was to say say she wouldn't tell, but that may be something they don't do. I know there's a rule in the South and Midwest that you mustn't contradict something, even in the nicest way. Maybe there's also one that you mustn't say no to someone. I know they have that in China, especially when the someone is an authority figure or honored guest, like the teacher whose students said they'd be there at a time they had a conflict so they wouldn't say no or contradict him. Apparently there are linguistic ways of agreeing in Chinese that actually mean no without saying no.

People from those kinds of cultures find the directness and bluntness of Americans from the Northeast and West to be baffling, indelicate and sometimes plain rude.

OTOH, there's a Southern thing where some people feel free to say any old nasty thing as long as it's preceded by "You know I love all of G-d's children, but..." or "Bless her heart, but..." or "You know I'd never talk dirt about somebody, but..." Whereas, in the West, if we're going to talk smack, we just come right out with it.

It might be a similar situation to Grainlady's. The casserole might be Tuna Helper, condensed soup, and Ritz crackers or something, and she's embarrassed to say so, or wants to preserve her image as a cook and not say so. I make a traditional brisket recipe that everyone loves, but it's embarrassing because it's a packet of onion soup mix, a bottle of Heinz chili sauce and a can of caffeine free sugary coke. I've made other really good recipes, but keep going back to the coke one because people like it the best. Since I'm mostly a scratch cook, I cringe when I have to fess up. :)

OTOH, it might be one of those sworn to secrecy, people always request my casserole for the pot luck, if I share I won't be special anymore things.

Should you have asked? Whyever not? It's flattering to be asked even when the secret to tender brisket is Coca-cola (it's the sugar, actually, the breaks down the connective tissue).

Give it time. I have an East Coast friend in the same region who has made friends in spite of her bluntness. :)

• Related Discussions

Is it a faux pas to...

Q

Comments (8)
    In my experience, the mix and match approach can work fine, but it does take some trial and error. Carpets can work together even if they are very different if they sort of define different areas in a space, for example, a seating arrangement here, and a traffic pattern there, versus an entrance foyer, etc. In our case, nearly all the carpets are variations of earth tones. For example, an unusual "camel" background color with accents of rose, green and other muted shades in our area rug in front of the sofa blends well with our beige sofa and green chairs and a red chair. But then, not very far away, in our very small entry foyer we have a 4 by 6 rug with a strong navy blue background with patterns in reds, tourqoise and amber. I'm sure you think these two would clash. I thought so too until I tried it. But they "define" separate areas and work together. But you can't just combine colors haphazardly. For instance, the color of the rug you choose for under or in front of the sofa should definitely blend with the color(s)of you upholstered furniture. Otherwise it will look out of place. But then, in a separate area even in the same room, you can have a rug with a different color, texture, or pattern. That's where the mix and match comes in. But you still have to try it to make sure it will work. By the time you're finished you'll probably be tired of lugging carpets back and forth, and wondering if you'll ever get it right. But you'll know when you got it right.
    ...See More

I'm soo over this kitchen! Pls help me commit

Q

Comments (46)
    The panel, bead to bead is just a tad over 16" wide. Yes stiles? (the space in between the beaded panels) is about 1.5". The (fluted) column width is 4" wide. I only added the fluted columns to island (after working w/ designer) since I had 1 fluted column in a clipped corner. It looked a bit lonely in the kitchen. Three fluted columns looked intentional; one looked like a mistake. Just my non-design opinion. It's kinda like the symmetry thing to me. I have 3 entrances/exits in small kitchen. You see the fluted columns when you enter via 2 of the entrances. My hood is a 36" by modernaire. Height is about 21". 34" off the countertop. We didn't want hood too high that it became ineffective, but did not want DH to bump his head. I notice Trevor Lawson has been on lately; he handles all Internet sales of the hood. I got the hood and exhaust guts thru him.
    ...See More

Crown molding faux pas

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you tatts and Flo Mangan for the info on peel and stick. I was wanting to put it on the family room fire place right opposite to the kitchen as a short cut, in grey color so to reflect the marble theme of the kitchen. I get it now, these won't be safe to use. Perhaps real tiles then. A floor guy should be able to do it I suppose, before I get the painters to start their job. Thanks a lot :)
    ...See More

Family photos in dining room: a designer’s faux pas or is it ok?

Q

Comments (47)
    I love family photos. However, (and this is just me) I get a creepy feeling when they are put in such a prominent spot that for a lot of the time I am in a room, the whole family is staring at me! My beloved SO has LARGE family photos of his whole family on a shelving unit right across from our bed in the bedroom, and it is a small room so the edge of the bed is relatively close to the shelving unit. His whole clan is always staring at me, when I go to bed at night, when I'm changing into my jammies or getting dressed in the morning, and when I wake up. I wouldn't want my clan up there, that's for sure, but different strokes for different folks. He likes seeing them all the time and I am just splitting hairs with that creepy feeling. Better than in the bathroom I guess! My dad has a small photo of my deceased mother in a prominent spot in the living room, and that doesn't bother me, so I guess it depends. I have a mirror in my dining room and hate it because I hate looking at myself while eating. I would love a wall of family in a dining room, but maybe not where they were always staring down at me while eating. A montage of smaller photos that one passes by on the way to the table--wonderful. But really, just some random thoughts. As many have said, there is no one right or wrong way if you like it that's all that matters. Also, there are some frames that you can buy that mix photos with design and sometimes sayings, those would look fab in your room. You could fit a little montage on the right side of the doorway. I almost bought a piece at the local big box that was a clock where you could put a photo in every time slot. I also think that "mixing and matching" photo exhibits in one room is probably a no go too. So for example, putting that clock in our bedroom along with the photos on the shelves might bee too much of a good thing.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    9 years ago

Well, if she doesn't give out the secret family recipe, how did the other hostess get it in the first place?

My guess is that X is just rude, she/he could have least have acknowledged the request, then denied it if there were some reason.

I fail to see the reasoning behind "secret" recipes. My stepdad had a secret recipe for his BBQ sauce, when he got ill he only gave it to my brother, with explicit instructions to not tell anyone, even my mother. Pfffft.

I've never known anywhere that it was rude to ask for a recipe, most cooks count it as a great compliment.

Annie

• beachlily z9a
    9 years ago

I'm from Denver. If someone asked for a recipe, I would volunteer it without a peep. I think the lady was just rude. Or embarrassed to admit her transgression. Get past it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, the only stereotypes I know of are PEOPLE. They seem to exist everywhere. Manners, courtesy, graciousness and pure kindness also exist everywhere, if not always encountered. But it can always be given which it seems like you did!

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

I've only met one person who would not share recipes - and the one recipe that I really wanted was for a cake that appeared in some way back copy of Country Living, so it wasn't really a family secret recipe at all!

Don't give X this power over you - move on. Or tell us what you think was in the casserole and we can help you find it!

Teresa

• cattyles
    9 years ago

From a Southerner (Memphis) that has been in Texas 30 years, don't overthink it.

X is rude. She didn't want to share the recipe with someone she did not know well. Southerners and Texans have their share of rude folks, just like everywhere else. But you should not confuse Texas (except for maybe far East Texas) with the South. They are distinctly different as far as manners and courtesy. Pillog is correct, a southerner is more likely to say something derogatory after prefacing with a disclaimer about what she would say "if she weren't such a Christian".

A Texan will probably just say outright "I'm not sure about egregious faux pas, but she's had a bug up her butt all day. " :)

• User
    9 years ago

I don't understand not sharing a recipe, even if it's a "family secret", which it's clearly not.

What does she think you are going to do with it - sell it or open a restaurant featuring her casserole?

She sounds rude, and people like that live everywhere.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Maybe the recipe was not really X's........ perhaps, the person asked did not want to give it out, so attributed it to X......

If Mary gives me a recipe, and Susie asks me for it, I am going to give it to Susie. Why would I refer Susie to Mary, for a recipe I already have - unless I am looking for an excuse not to share it?

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    9 years ago

I think sharing is always nice. But not sharing is perfectly OK too.

There are people who sell recipes (Jeff's Rub, for instance). Obviously they are not going to share for free. And people who bought the recipes are under contract not to share with others.

Asking for someone's recipe is a way of complimenting and is always appreciated.

The problem I find is when you ask someone for his/hers recipe and he/she gives you not the whole recipe on purpose.

Don't expect to get the whole recipe from the chef if you are in a restaurant.

dcarch

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    9 years ago

She was not a chef, but someone who prided herself on doing things correctly. It was a chicken casserole that had sour cream, cream cheese, cream, cheeses of some kind, noodles, and some some vegetables. DH wants me to make some casseroles, which are not really my thing (unless pommes Anna and tartes Tatin count ;

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I share recipes, no secret, when they're openly posted on this and other forums.

My only hesitation, is that I'm not a dessert maker. At a family gathering a few years ago my SIL asked for my lemon cake recipe that I brought to a family gathering. I gave it to her, and she makes it regularly for her family, and brings it to family gatherings. So now I can't bring it as part of my contribution :)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I have only run into this situation once, but I can tell you that not wanting to share was perfectly consistent with the ugly personality of the person with the recipe.

I bet if you were able to research the old Southern Living casserole recipes, you would probably find it.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

I suppose some people think they are special because they have something few other people have.
    I think that people are special when they are open, giving, and help others.

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

It's the cream cheese added to the Chicken casserole that sets it apart and makes searching for a recipe for it easier.
    Try Tasty Chicken Casserole

And here's one that uses melted Gouda, from Southern Food

I agree with the others here, she was just rude. Regardless of geography, rude is rude.

• Rusty
    9 years ago

I've been in South Texas since the early '60s,
    And consider myself pretty much "Texan".
    There is nothing wrong in asking for a recipe.
    Or asking someone if they would share their recipe.
    Most people consider it a honest and true compliment.
    And most people would have a friendly and polite answer
    if they preferred not to share for whatever reason.

Personally, in this case,
    I think both people you asked were lacking
    In social graces..
    But, to give them both the benefit of the doubt,
    Perhaps both were simply caught off guard
    By your request.

Please don't judge all Texans
    (both Native and Transplants)
    By this experience.
    We are, for the most part, like people everywhere else,
    A pretty good mix of all kinds of personalities.

Rusty

• ann_t
    9 years ago

You were not rude. The person should have taken it as a compliment that you wanted the recipe.

I've never understood someone that wouldn't share a recipe. In fact if someone won't share a recipe, I just go ahead and make my own version. It isn't difficult if you already know the main ingredients. Go for it Kitchen detective. Yours will probably be even better.

~Ann

• grandmamary_ga
    9 years ago

So what is wrong with using a box cake mix. If it is good use it. That is all I ever use. Duncan hines are my favorite. I think sometimes you will get a good home made cake but mostly they are tough to me. Just my opinion. Too much work. I think that they are rude by not sharing. Life is too short.
    Mary

• plllog
    9 years ago

So, I'm usually pretty good at searches, and thought I'd try (boy, are there some horrific recipes out there!!), but I quit after finding exactly one with chicken, sour cream, cream cheese and another cheese. It's called That Casserole (middle of the page). The blogger said it's from her "great-grandmother's recipe book". It has tomato sauce (as most of the recipes with cream cheese seem to), which you didn't say, so it's probably not the right one, but that might give you an idea about the era the recipe came from.

Re handing out recipes, the surest way to get people not to try to copy my recipes, is to give them away. :) I keep mine in the computer, and am glad to e-mail or print them, but they never seem to want to do a recipe that starts with make a bechamel (directions included!) or proof your yeast. :) And I get questions like, "What do you mean you have to cook the pumpkin before you make the lasagna?"

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

grandmamary_ga-

There is nothing intrinsically "wrong" with using a box cake mix, it's intimating it's some kind of "secret" recipe I had a problem with. Whether it was just avoiding the truth to "save face", or by spiteful omission, when someone wants something as simple as a recipe - especially for something they truly enjoyed - it tells you a lot about that person.

I was 16-years old at the time (I had been dating her son for over a year), and I thought everyone -- especially back in those days -- made cakes and frosting from scratch, which is why I asked for the recipe.

We always made cakes from scratch at home. It was a generation of women who were one of the last great cake makers. The County Fairs would easily have a hundred beautiful cakes to judge, now they are lucky to have ten. A time when you raised chickens and at the ripe old age of 9-years old you could make an Angel Food Cake when you accumulated enough cracked eggs, without ever looking at the recipe because you'd done it so many times. Cake flour was a common ingredient found in nearly all homes so they could make those beautiful cakes. Cake mixes were NOT the "norm" back in the late 60's. And even if you did use a mix, you certainly frosted it with homemade frosting.

-Grainlady

• mary_c_gw
    9 years ago

Kitchendectective, I'm a native Californian and have been living in Central Texas for 25 years.

That woman was rude - not Texan, LOL.

"A Texan will probably just say outright "I'm not sure about egregious faux pas, but she's had a bug up her butt all day. " ---as Cattyles said.

That made me laugh, and it's much more Texan - they/we're blunt, and don't usually preface it with "Bless her heart" or any other sort of Southern homily.

Good luck with the recipe.

• User
    9 years ago

Is it a variation of the King Ranch Chicken Casserole?

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not spicy like King Ranch. No tomato either. I so appreciate everyone trying to help here! I think it had peas, mushrooms, maybe broccoli, too.

• cj47
    9 years ago

I know there's a rule in the South and Midwest that you mustn't contradict something, even in the nicest way.

LOL, not that I've noticed.

I never hesitate to give out a recipe, if I have one. The problem is, many of my dishes start out with, "hm, I'm in the mood for chicken, maybe with some middle eastern flavors", and we just go from there. But I'm always willing to share what I can. I've never understood the "secret recipe" thing.

Cj, from Wisconsin.

This post was edited by cj47 on Mon, May 26, 14 at 1:07

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

I agree; she was rude, and considering the circumstances, I really hope you can find the recipe in spite of her refusal to share. I have many old cookbooks-will see if I can find anything similar.

• annie1992
    9 years ago

cj, I agree. I'm from Michigan. I have been told a couple of times that I was "too polite" and I've been known to open my home to "imaginary friends/forum members" without hesitation, but I certainly do not hesitate to disagree if it's warranted. Sometimes when it's not, LOL.

Annie

• wintercat_gw
    9 years ago

Kitchendetective: No tomatoes and WITH peas (no mushrooms, but why not throw them in too? This type of recipe is very elastic):

Creamy Chicken Noodle Bake
    12" dutch oven

3 cups. cooked chicken, cut up into bite size pieces
    2 - cans cream of chicken soup (10 3/4 oz cans)
    1 1/4 c. milk
    1 tsp. thyme
    1 tsp. oregano
    1 - 10-oz. pkg. frozen peas
    1 - 12 oz - package wide egg noodles, (cooked al dente)(I use no yolk dumplings)
    2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
    2 Tablespoons Melted Butter

In a large bowl, mix together cut up chicken, soup, milk, melted butter and peas. Add cooked noodles & 1 cup cheese; stir to coat. Transfer to your dutch oven. Top with the additional 1 cup cheese. Bake for 30 minutes at 350ð. Use 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom. Serves 8.

There's a photo of the dish on the site (link attached).

I wish to God my mother had used cake mix. Some of her cakes were so bad even the horse wouldn't eat them and he would eat just about anything. They went very well with her TOUGH meat dishes though. Consistency IS a virtue!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutch Oven Madness

• aprile421
    9 years ago

Could it be a version of this?

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/chicken-romanoff

• aprile421
    9 years ago

blah here is link, sorry I don't post here often.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Romanoff

• justsaying
    9 years ago

I'm tickled pink when someone asks me for a recipe and more than happy to share - sometimes I share even when not asked!! I'll never understand people who don't or give the recipe but leave an key ingredient out.

OT but along the same lines. I once worked with a woman who always wore this amazing smelling perfume. One day I asked her what it was. Would you believe she wouldn't tell me - said she didn't want us smelling the same (she worked on a different floor than me)! Go figure.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I've lived in TX most of my life, and I consider it a compliment and an opportunity to share both love of good food and the joy of creating for people you care about when asked for a recipe. I not only share most recipes, but I'll tell people how I vary them or get the results I do. And I'll help people find or create a recipe for something they like. The last recipe request I got was for a bean salad. It's an original recipe, but it's something I do by feel, so I had to give her directions rather than a recipe. ;)

Texas is a big place. You'll meet all kinds -- and probably most of them came from somewhere else. Regardless, I don't understand why people get offended or rude about a recipe request or a question about a perfume.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

I can't have any cooking secrets with my family and friends...(BIL has type 1 diabetes since a child)...Too many issues...to many dangers...hence no secrets...just not possible.

I see it as chef X has a recipe, chef Y was given the recipe with a 'don't tell' .
    Cook Y says to ask cook X for the recipe...shows a secret respect...close friends confirmed...

So who cares...most likely a quick, fat filled, canned this and that, easy and delicious.
    Most high calorie crowd pleasers are just that. Costco even sells pre-cooked and chopped and packaged chicken...add a qrt of heavy cream...etc
    Often not a secret family recipe to share...just a somewhat deceitful recipe that appears 'home-cooked'...
    The 'change of subject' when asked is most likely embarrassment that might be eventually uncovered...

I just laugh every holiday when another BIL makes his oyster dressing. I always kid around for the recipe...he just says, "oh, ya don't wanna know"..."just the way mama made it"...
    Pretty close guess that it is a sleeve of saltines, a qrt of heavy cream, a lb of butter, oysters...baked covered an hour, then un-covered a half hour....delicious once a year, : )

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have met wonderful and horrid people here, and many in between, as I have in many places. Just thought that I had violated some local decorum code-- and those codes do vary. It would be riotously funny if sleevendog's analysis were correct because X so prides herself on doing things impeccably. Also because last night I attempted the dish, using sweated shallots and ordinary mushrooms, bechamel sauce, frozen pieces, left over chicken, sour cream, cream cheese, penne cooked in chicken broth, shredded mozzarella, shredded sharp cheddar, shredded parmesan, and pepper. DH pronounced it delicious, except lacking salt, which he thinks about everything that I make. I cannot recall what was different about the way X's tasted, but it, too, reminded me of the turkey tetrazzini in the school cafeteria forty or fifty years ago.

Perhaps the addition of a mix of mushrooms and a bit of nutmeg and thyme would give it more depth.

P.S. If the message was also one of "you are not part of the clique/sorority/secret society," it was certainly received.

• dreamhouse1
    9 years ago

That was not a Texan snub, it was a rude person snub.

Dreamhouse1, native Texan.

• ann_t
    9 years ago

I agree with Dreamhouse. Rude is rude and can be found anywhere.

~Ann

• coolbeansw
    9 years ago

Oh, dcarch, you touched a nerve. My MIL giggles about sharing recipes on request with key ingredients or steps left out, so that they'll never be the same. I don't get it. The Golden Rule certainly applies to recipes, no matter where you live.

• cj47
    9 years ago

Imaginary Friends

Annie, that made me laugh out loud....thanks.

:-)

Cj

9 years ago

I, a New Yorker, have traveled to a few Southern states on business.

I have been told more than once, "dc, God, take it easy will you please! You are not in New York anymore".

dcarch

• plllog
    9 years ago

Is the false recipe thing the same one as if a New Yorker doesn't know where you're going he'll just give you any old directions?

A friend once gave a recipe without a key ingredient, but it was an oversight not a trick! Anyone who cooks would know that it needed eggs or an egg-like substance to make it stick together. :)

So there was an episode of Mystery Diners on today that was all about employees--who had to sign confidentiality agreements to work--giving out the recipes from a central Texas restaurant! :) At least the ones who said no to sharing did so politely, but that's some stringent guarding of the secret recipes going on down there!

• aprile421
    9 years ago

Did you see the link I posted above about Chicken Romanoff?

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, thank you. The chicken had no breeding and the cheese was not Jack. However, it is definitely adaptable!

Edited to add

LOL! Breeding was supposed to be breading.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 20:10

• lascatx
    9 years ago

My son likes a chicken tetrazzini recipe that uses a can of condensed soup and Velveeta. I have altered it a bit to make it a little healthier, but it is one of his most favorite dinners, so I continue to make it. One time I tool it to a friend whose mother was recovering from a broken hip, They loved it and she asked me for the recipe. I cringed a little because I know she cooks, buys organic produce and likes to generally cook healthier (we both do), but I gave her the recipe, told her what I'd changed and she's still me friend, Whew! LOL

Maybe X and Y had am "oops, we got caught" moment too. Maybe it is made with a can of this, a can of that and nothing resembling a fresh vegetable. Also possible -- it was purchased or made by a third person.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

I occasionally lurk, but this reminded me of an experience I had over 30 years ago.

We had a pot luck for Thanksgiving at work, & one of the 'girls' brought...I can't even remember what it was.

She worked in my unit, & she was temperamentai & unpredictable, so I was very aware of her sitting right beside me at the luncheon.

Whatever it was was wonderful, & I praised it to her, adding 'I'd love to have the recipe'.

(not that I ever, at that time of my life, cooked anything that required more than a microwave; I was just being complimentary)

She looked down her nose at me & said, 'Why should I give it to you?'

Some people do just have a bug up their butt, & the best way to handle them is to treat them like asbestos:
    stay away from them if you can, but if you can't stay away from them, at least don't stir them up.

'sour cream, cream cheese, cream, cheeses of some kind, noodles, and some some vegetables.'

sounds wonderful without any more ingredients or instructions!

• User
    9 years ago

Maybe she buys it from a local catering company, so there isn't a recipe.

• moosemac
    9 years ago

When I was about 13, I visited a school friendâÂÂs home. Her mother made the most delicious cookies so I asked her for the recipe. She became very agitated and said the recipe was a family recipe brought from the motherland (Italy) and she definitely would not share it. She went on âÂÂHow would you feel if someone asked you to share a family recipe?â I answered I would be proud to share my French Canadian heritage in the form of family recipes. To which she replied, âÂÂWhy bother? French Canadian food is terrible so there canâÂÂt be any recipe worth sharing.âÂÂ

Needless to say, IâÂÂm a tad cautious and size up the situation before asking for recipes now.

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gosh, those responses were even more obnoxious than the ones I received. I feel better now! LOL.

• moosemac
    9 years ago

Glad you can laugh about it now. I still smile every time someone asks me for a recipe since it reminds me of that story. My mother always said, "Don't get down in the mud with the pigs." So I laugh and share my recipes with a smile. :-)

9 years ago

"--- I answered I would be proud to share my French Canadian heritage in the form of family recipes. ----"

Can you please give me the French Canadian recipe on how to steaming lobsters?

dcarch :-)

This post was edited by dcarch on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 15:52

• moosemac
    9 years ago

Dcarch,
    Too funny! My Dad used to use Molson beer instead of water and throw the PEI potatoes in the same pot with the lobster while my Mother chastised him in French to not over cook the lobsters. Does that count? :-)