Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexican Salad?

Posted by jeri (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 11:19

I'm looking for a salad to serve with a Mexican Themed dinner. I've tried a couple of chopped salads, but I was not happy with them. Too “heavy” perhaps?

This can be anything vegetarian - - vegetables, pasta, fruit - I don't really have a preference at this point.

Can't wait to see what you will suggest! :-)

Jeri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexican Salad?

I'd do a rough chop of avocado, tomato, a little onion and garlic, cilantro, and make a dressing with a little chili powder in it. You can serve it with or without lettuce.

o

I love a quinoa salad with black beans, tomatoes, peppers, green onions, corn, and cilantro, with a cumin/chili-lime dressing.

o

I was looking in a magazine a friend had and copied this recipe out of it to try. Maybe it will work for you. -Grainlady

Tomatiloo-Watermelon Salad

(source: Better Homes and Gardens - MEXICAN - 2013)

4 c. 1-inch cubes seedless watermelon
2 avocadoes, halved, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 tomatoillos, husked and thinly sliced
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 c. crumbled queso fresco (4-oz.)
1/4 c. olive oil
3 T. lime juice
2 T. sherry vinegar
1 T. finely chopped fresh jalapeno chile pepper
1 t. sugar
1 t. snipped fresh mint
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. ground coriander
2 T. snipped fresh cilantro
2 T. snipped fresh chives

1. In an extra-large bowl combine watermelon, avocados, tomatillos, and onion. Add queso fresco, toss gently to combine.

2. In a screw-top jar combine oil, lime juice, vinegar, jalapeno chili pepper, sugar, mint, salt, and coriander. Cover and shake well until sugar and salt dissolve. Drizzle over watermelon mixture; toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with cilantro and chives. Serve immediately. Makes 10-12 servings

Per serving: 165 calories, 12 g fat, 8 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 12 g. carbs, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein

o

This gets rave reviews whenever I make it. I use the Trader Joe's Fire Roasted corn. It's great on its own or would be lovely over lettuce or spinach.

Black Bean Salad - From Food Network Kitchens

Ingredients

Dressing
1 small clove garlic
Pinch salt, plus 2 teaspoons
Juice 1 1/2 limes (about 3 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Salad
1 cup fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small hass avocado, halved, seeded and diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, leaves and stems

Directions

Make the dressing: Smash the garlic clove, sprinkle with a pinch of the salt, and, with the flat side of a large knife, mash and smear the mixture to a coarse paste. Whisk the garlic paste, lime juice, salt and chili powder together in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream.

For the salad: Cook the corn, bell pepper, and onions in the olive oil until beginning to brown over medium-high heat in a skillet. Toss in the black beans and cook until warm. Add the dressing and toss to coat evenly. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and gently fold in the tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro. Serve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Bean Salad

o

That Tomatillo-Watermelon Salad sounds awesome! Do you think it would be kid friendly? I don't think I have ever purchased a Tomatillo before!

o

A salad of nopales (cactus leaves) is easy to make from canned nopales. Using fresh nopales is more work. I recently bought a large jar of nopales (cactus leaves) which are cut in strips, ready to use. In this region I seldom see fresh nopales.

For a salad, just mix nopales strips with chopped tomato, sliced onion, jalapeno and vinaigrette. The vinaigrette can be made with lime juice for an authentic touch.

Queso blanco, a mild, crumbly cheese would normally be sprinkled over the salad, but you may not find it in your store. I would be tempted to sub feta, which would not be authentic, but good anyway.

Jim

o

One day I was flipping channels and caught this cooking show on PBS, Pati's Mexican Table. She was making Mexican street vegetables, so simple but looked delicious.
For a salad, jicama, carrot and red pepper would be delish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pati's Mexican Table

o

I think this one would go nicely with a Mexican menu. And it's really refreshing!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Jicama Salad
From Simply Recipes blog

1 large jicama (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, then julienned or cubed (easiest to work with if you cut the jicama in half first)
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 a large cucumber, seeded, chopped
1 navel orange, peel cut away, sliced crosswise, then each round quartered
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup lime juice
Pinch of cayenne
Pinch of paprika
Salt
Optional
1/2 avocado chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil

METHOD
1 Toss together the jicama, bell peppers, red onion, cucumber, orange, and cilantro in a large serving bowl. Pour lime juice over all. Sprinkle with a pinch of cayenne and paprika. Season generously with salt.
2 Let sit a half an hour before serving.
Serves 4.

No photo of this one but it's also very good.

Macho Gazpacho Vegetable Chunk Salad
Source: Rachael Ray

1/2 seedless cucumber, also known as English cucumber
2 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded
1 green bell pepper, seeded
1/2 red onion, peeled
4 ribs celery from the heart, including leafy tops
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves or flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 lime or 1/2 lemon, juiced
1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce, for mild to medium-hot heat level (recommended: Tabasco)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball the amount
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cut cucumber, tomatoes, pepper, onion and celery into bite-sized chunks. Combine vegetable in a bowl. Sprinkle cilantro or parsley over the vegetables. Combine vinegar, lime or lemon juice and hot sauce in a small bowl. Whisk in extra-virgin olive oil in a slow stream. Pour dressing down over the salad and toss. Season salad with salt and pepper and serve.

Linda

o

Oops.....just remembered another that would be good.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Buenos Aires Hearts of Palm Salad
Source Rachael Ray magazine

One 14-ounce can hearts of palm, thinly sliced
1 tomato, thinly sliced (I used cherry tomatoes, quartered)
1 hass avocado, quartered and thinly sliced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tsp white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper

Directions:
1.On a platter, arrange the hearts of palm, tomato and avocado in a single, overlapping layer. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, orange juice and lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.

My notes: July 2010 I think the dressing needs a little zing-maybe add some white wine vinegar.

Update: I just winged a vinaigrette of lemon juice, 1/2 an orange, 1 clove of garlic olive oil, oregano, salt & pepper....very good!

o

The hearts of palm salad looks wonderful, I know what to do with that can for that is lurking in the back of the cupboard. Patty

o

I just copied and pasted this whole thread. Thanks for asking. I'm eager for new salad ideas.

Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here