SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

potato salad recipe?

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

I've certainly missed everyone... work has been so crazy that I haven't had the time or energy to check the forum much lately.

Anyway, I made friends with the neighbor who lives right above me (he's my age and single too, we have a lot in common, fun fun!)... and we are going to have a cook out one day soon. In addition to the meat, baked beans, cream cheese cherry pie, and fresh squeezed lemonade (trying to be a real southern belle!), I want to make potato salad. I am not crazy about potato salad, but he likes it and it just seems the southern cookout thing to do. So, I'm ashamed to admit I've NEVER made it before, ever! I tried to search for a recipe thread on here, and I got some inane video with girls dancing and singing instead of recipes. Maybe I shouldn't spend so much time away from the forum! LOL.

So, I'm asking for your favorite potato salad recipe. Please talk to me like I'm as absent minded as I really am... starting with what kind of potatoes to use (have a half bag of Idaho potatoes starting to sprout, but if they won't work I will get whatever the recipe suggests). I want something simple, yellow in color, creamy, not too exotic. I can always omit ingredients if I don't like them. Thanks in advance for your input ;o)

Comments (34)

• loagiehoagie
    14 years ago

Bobby, I've been wondering where you've been! About time you got yourself over here. Busy? Yeah...I know..

'Tater salad is easy. It really depends on what you like. Our standard growing up salad was just cubed boiled potatoes (Idaho's are fine but the waxier potatoes are better...ie..red/Yukon gold or white...mix in mayo or miracle whip (my mom used miracle whip...I like Hellmans mayo) with a pinch of mustard powder, finely diced onions and crumbled boiled eggs..salt..pepper..that is about it. You can add chopped sweet pepper, celery etc. as well. Chill and serve. I like the warm german potato salads better, but that is an entirely different animal. Have fun!

Duane

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

Any potatoes will work. Making potato salad is one of those rare occasions when I peel potatos. I just cut up peeled potatoes into chunks of the right size for the salad and boil them. The boiling is the only tricky part because you want to be sure they are cooked but not overcooked or else they will turn to mush and fall apart.

Next I mix the drained potato chunks with chopped onions and mayonaise. I season it with salt and pepper to taste.

For a yellow color I would add chopped hard boiled eggs. You can put halved hard boiled or devilled eggs on the top for an attractive garnish. Eggs make a more nutritious dish.

Sometimes I add chopped pickled beets, but this gives a pink/red color that you do not want. Chopped celery can be added too for extra crunch. Relish also adds flavour and horse radish will give it a bit of zest.

Lastly I sprinkle paprika over the top.

• Related Discussions

What's for dinner Sunday?

Q

Comments (12)
    We had a drizzle of rain but it was enough to drop the temperature. Tomorrow is going to be another record.....32C!!! Crazy. I did a beef roast in the slow cooker today. A new recipe. The recipe called for putting sliced onions and potatoes in with the beef, but I don't like potatoes done in the slow-cooker. So I mashed potatoes and cooked carrots to have with the beef. I cooked up all of my potatoes, as they were sprouting, and they wouldn't last much longer in the heat we've been getting. So I don't have any left to make the potato salad, that I've been wanting to make. And potatoes are $4.50 for 10lb. I'm not going to pay those prices, so we'll eat other starches or get lucky and they will come on sale. Made 2 loaves of bread so a fresh slice with stewed rhubarb and that's dessert!
    ...See More

T & T German Potato salad

Q

Comments (13)
    Here's a Russian version: RUSSIAN BANANA FINGERLING POTATO SALAD(serves 4) To Cook the Potatoes and prepare the Salad: 1 lb. Russian Banana Fingerling Potatoes (Yukon Gold Potatoes may be substituted) Water to cover Salt Scrub potatoes and place in a medium pot. Cover with cold water and add salt. Over medium heat, bring to a simmer and cook until you can just pass a knife comfortably through a potato. Remove from heat and strain. 1/4 cup Chicken Broth 2 tsp. Champagne Vinegar 1/2 tsp. Granulated Sugar 1/2 bunch Chopped Chives Salt and freshly ground White Pepper Combine broth, vinegar, sugar, chives and seasoning to taste. While stillwarm, rub (peel) skins from potatoes with the back of a pairingknife. (Not only is it easier to rub the skins while the potatoes are still warm, it is also important to combine the marinade or “dressing” with the potatoes while the potatoes are warm as they will better absorb the flavors). Pare and slice potatoes into 1/6 inch thick pieces. Place potatoes in a bowl and pour dressing over, stirring gently. Allow flavors and liquid to “draw” for at least ½ hour. Note: This salad is best served at room temperature. ---------------- I don't remember where I got this recipe, but I've made it quite a few times.
    ...See More

German potato salad recipe?

Q

Comments (64)
    2 pounds small russet potatoes ¼ cup dry white wine 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard ½ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon white pepper ¼ cup olive oil 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley Ingredient Substitution Guide Nutritional Information Preparation Scrub the potatoes and drop them into a saucepan of enough boiling salted water to cover. Boil about 30 minutes, just until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a small knife. Drain. As soon as the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and cut them into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Place the potatoes in a large shallow serving dish. Pour the wine over the warm slices and toss very gently. Set aside until the potatoes have absorbed the wine. Meanwhile, use a small whisk to beat the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl until the salt has dissolved. Add the oil by droplets and whisk until thickened. Whisk in the green onions. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and toss gently. Recheck seasoning and adjust if necessary. Sprinkle with the parsley.
    ...See More

Please share your Dijon, no mayo, potato salad recipe

Q

Comments (1)
    Potato Salad Serves 4-6 1.5 lbs Yukon gold potatoes Kosher salt 1/4 c EVOO 1/3 c cider vinegar 1 tsp each sugar & Dijon 1/2 c firmly packed flat leaf parsley, finely chopped 1 bunch (5-6) green onions, white & tender green parts only, sliced Place potatoes in a large saucepan, add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; add 1 tsp salt. Reduce heat to med; cook 20-30 minutes until tender. Drain; cool slightly. Pat dry; transfer to a large bowl. Whisk together EVOO, next 3 ingredients, 2 Tb water, and 1 tsp salt in a small bowl until well blended and smooth. Adjust seasoning. Stir in 1/2 of parsley and 1/2 of onions. Dice or lightly mash potatoes into small pieces. Toss gently with olive oil mixture. Adjust seasonings. Garnish with remaining parsley and onion. I seve this warm but my husbnd eats it cold as leftovers. It’s quite adaptable, I’ve used other kinds of potatoes, and added other green herbs. I think its too much dressing and cut back on that but you should make it as written the first time and adjust from there, obviously. The recipe is from Max & Eli Sussman’s cookbook, The Best Cookbook Ever, but my Mum found the recipe in a People magazine.
    ...See More
  • Lars
    14 years ago

Here's the recipe I use for a simple potato salad:

Russian Banana Fingerling Potato Salad

To Cook the Potatoes and prepare the Salad:
    1 lb. Russian Banana Fingerling Potatoes (Yukon Gold Potatoes may be substituted)
    Water to cover
    Salt

Scrub potatoes and place in a medium pot. Cover with cold water and add salt. Over medium heat, bring to a simmer and cook until you can just pass a knife comfortably through a potato. Remove from heat and strain.

1/4 cup Chicken Broth
    2 tsp. Champagne Vinegar
    1/2 tsp. Granulated Sugar
    1/2 bunch Chopped Chives
    Salt and freshly ground White Pepper

Combine broth, vinegar, sugar, chives and seasoning to taste. While still warm, rub (peel) skins from potatoes with the back of a pairing knife. (Not only is it easier to rub the skins while the potatoes are still warm, it is also important to combine the marinade or "dressing" with the potatoes while the potatoes are warm as they will better absorb the flavors). Pare and slice potatoes into 1/6 inch thick pieces. Place potatoes in a bowl and pour dressing over, stirring gently. Allow flavors and liquid to "draw" for at least 1/2 hour.

Note: This salad is best served at room temperature.

Lars

• becky_ca
    14 years ago

Here's my family's favorite - all amounts are estimates, but I think the key is to let the potatoes marinate in the Italian dressing first.

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Potato Salad

Recipe By :Becky Chatham
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 red new potatoes
    2 stalks celery -- sliced
    1 small red onion -- chopped
    6 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
    3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
    6 tablespoons mayonnaise
    3 tablespoons yellow mustard
    salt and pepper -- to taste
    6 eggs -- hardboiled, peeled and chopped

Put whole potatoes in a couple of inches of salted water, cover pot and boil for 20-25 minutes, or until just barely tender. Drain potatoes, and when cool enough to handle, peel (or not, your choice) and cut into 2" chunks. Combine potatoes, celery, onion and salad dressing in a large bowl and allow to marinate for a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients except for chopped eggs - taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add eggs and stir gently to combine. Garnish with either more sliced hardboiled eggs, chopped fresh parsley or paprika.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

This is really basic potato salad. You said yellow so to me that means eggs and... mustard.

Take your half bag of potatoes, almost cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer and cook until fork goes in fairly easily. Drain, let cool until you can handle them then peel by scraping with a butter knife. Cut into one inch cubes. Finely dice a stalk of celery and half an onion. I don't like raw onion so I skip that. For the half bag I'd add 3 hard boiled eggs. Add a nice splash of vinegar on the potatoes and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Start with about a cup of mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard. Start mixing, adding mayonnaise until you get it as creamy as you like. Tasting is good. Add a little more vinegar if you like. That mustard should be good, but if you're not sure of the mustard part, start with only one tablespoon and add more later when you taste it. I always use mustard in my potato salad. We used to use only dry mustard but after living for so long down south I like the yellow mustard better in it. Guess it's the vinegar the mustard is made with for one thing.

I like celery salt so I sometimes add that. Sometimes I also use some sour cream. Some people like pickle or pickle juice in it. I also often use a bit of onion powder and garlic powder [Lou would be proud].

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

I use regular Idaho potatoes to make potato salad. I peel and cut the potatoes up in small chunks. I cook my eggs separately so I get perfectly cooked eggs. I also put pickle relish in , about 2 Tbsps of it , along with the chopped onion. Once the eggs are cooked, I slice them and re-slice the other way with a slicer, dump in serving bowl with onion and relish. Once potatoes are cooked, drain and put in serving bowl with other ingredients. Stir to combine and then dress with mayonnaise and mustard.

• arlinek
    14 years ago

Am I wrong that you live in Ca.? (I'm in S. Diego.) I ask because on the west side of the U.S., they sell the Best Foods brand mayo. It's Hellman's perhaps east of the Rockies - same mayo. Anyhoo, on the backside of the jar is their recipe, which is almost perfect to MY taste, with only slight modifications. Maybe the recipe is even avail. on their website. The changes I make are: make sure that the russets (I only use russets) are cooked just *barely* less than you would for mashed - most people undercook them and they are then too hard IMHO. I cook them with the peel on and then peel them with the rounded side of a cutlery knife just after slightly cooling them. Chop them up in the bowl no more than 3/4" in size. When I make the dressing per the recipe, (there's no mustard called for, which I agree with), I make 1-1/2 times the dressing called for plus added potatoes as needed. But I DO add a little more sugar bec. I like it that way - gives it a little more tang. After mixing the dressing with the potatoes (+ 3 diced hard boiled eggs & a diced yellow onion), I use a manual potato masher and mash up about 1/5 of the potato mixture so that there is definitely some mashed pot. throughout the whole thing. Without bragging, I ALWAYS get so many compliments on my version. I think the main reasons are: a little more sugar than called for and MASHING up some of the potatoes. If you can't find the recipe, note it here and I will type it in for you.

arline

• annie1971
    14 years ago

My potato salad is any potato (russets peeled and cooked, whites, Yukons or reds with skins). We like it savory, not sweet. Dill pickles, a little mustard, real mayo, some sour cream, garlic powder, cayenne and the usual S & P. ALWAYS add diced ham or diced fried bacon, hard boiled eggs and red onions. Make a lot of it -- infrequently -- and enjoy it.

• momto4kids
    14 years ago

Annie...did you try that southwestern potato salad recipe yet? I'm intrigued by that!

I like a tangy, savory potato salad. Besides, the usual dill relish, mustard, miracle whip, salt and pepper, I add bacon and a touch of Durkee's Famous Sauce. The Durkee's must be a southern (real southern) thing. No one here seems to have ever had it. Thank goodness I am able to find it in the *boutique-y* grocery store, though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Durkee's Famous Sauce

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

Bobbie, here's a couple of good recipes for you to read.. I love potato salad and have made it many different ways. The following recipes are what I came up with when we had the deli. Each different in their own way, just like people are different in what they think makes the perfect potato salad. One thing we learned....small red potatoes, cooked with the skins on then just cut up were the favorite. But you can use what you have. The basic recipe might be the place to start and you can add mustard to it.
    We also learned that the pickle relish HAD to be Vlasic's!

Backwoods Deli Style Potato Salad

3# red potatoes, cooked, cooled and chopped
    2 stalks of celery, chopped
    6 green onions, chopped
    ½ C chopped red pepper
    ½ C thin sliced radishes

Dressing

1½ C Miracle Whip
    2 Tbsp vinegar
    2 Tbsp sugar
    1 tsp celery seed
    1-2 Tbsp prepared mustard

Combine dressing ingredients and toss with potatoes and vegetables.

Backwoods Basic Potato Salad 3\# cooked and cooled red potatoes, chopped 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped 2 lg stalks of celery, chopped 6 green onions, chopped ¼ C sweet pickle relish Dressing 1½ C Hellman's (Best Foods) mayo 1 tsp celery seed 1 Tbsp vinegar 1 Tbsp sugar ½ tsp garlic powder 1 tsp salt ½ tsp pepper 1 tsp dry mustard (can use prepared mustard) Combine dressing ingredients and toss with potato mixture. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ranch Potato Salad 3\# cooked red potatoes, cooled and chopped 5\-6 green onions, chopped 6\-8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled ½ C shredded cheddar cheese 1 envelope dry ranch dressing mix 1½ C Hellman's Mayo (sometimes I use part sour cream if I have it on hand) Toss together the potatoes, onions, bacon and cheddar. Combine the ranch dressing mix and mayo, pour over the potato mixture and stir to combine. Nancy
  • lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I think there are definately two major schools of potato salad, one is on the sweetish side, using pickle relish and Miracle Whip, and the other is the Mayo camp. Then there is the mustard or no mustard decision.

I make my mom's recipe, which has always gotten raves. Hers is just potatoes and hard boiled eggs, with a dressing of mayo, grey poupon mustard or stone ground brown mustard, and dill weed. It is the only kind my uber picky dad likes. But we are square in the mayo and mustard camp. When I make it I add celery for crunch and color.

But it seems like the southern way is more of the Miracle Whip style. Can't help you there, as I just do not like the stuff, no offense to Miracle Whip lovers out there!

• Lars
    14 years ago

I also do not like the sweetish potato salad. I do add a small amount of sugar to the Russian Fingerling salad, but that it something different. I can't stand the taste of Miracle Whip, but those who do generally also like sweet pickle relish, which I equally dislike. I never use Russet potatoes for regular potato salad - only new or red potatoes or Yukon Gold. I sometimes put stuffed Spanish olives in mine in place of pickles and sometimes both, but if I do use pickles, I only use dill pickles and sometimes add a bit of fresh dill. I also like to add celery for crunch, and hard boiled eggs are pretty standard, as is mustard. I usually also add minced green onions, if I don't have chives.

Lars

• lyndaluu2
    14 years ago

Nice to see you back Bobby....
    Here's a hit with my whole family.

Margie's Potato Salad
    1 cup mayo
    2 Tbsp white vinegar (I use white wine vinegar)
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground pepper
    1 tsp sugar
    4 cups potatoes simmered until tender (I use red and leave the skins on)
    1 cup sliced celery
    1/2 cup scallions chopped
    2 hard boiled eggs
    While the potatoes are simmering mix the sauce for the potato salad.
    Mix all ingredients together and chill for several hours.

Linda

• lindac
    14 years ago

True to form, I do potato salad by the seat of my pants...
    I prefer russets, but sometimes use long whites, or red potatoes.
    I peel and cube and boil and while the potatoes are boiling I also boil some eggs. I use 6 or 7 eggs for 5 pounds of potatoes,potatoes.
    While the eggs and potatoes are cooking I make my dressing.
    I use grey poupon mustard, lots of it.....and mayo....and for potato salad I prefer Kraft.
    I mix the mayo and mustard add some finely chopped onions and some vinegar and some sugar, and well drained sweet pickle relish.
    When the potatoes are done, I drain them and toss with a little salt and a few drops of cider vinegar....tossing helps to cool them.
    Then I mix with the dressing and add celery seed and black pepper....quite a bit of each and add the chopped eggs, saving a few slices for garnish. My potato salad has a definite tang to it!
    Linda C

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone... I knew I could count on you! I kind of read several recipes and then did my own thing. I think I followd Coconutnj's recipe most closely. I didn't want celery or onions. I boiled the half bag of the potatoes with peel on and three eggs. In a separate bowl, I mixed a cup and a half of may and several squirts of mustartd and some dill (dried) and salt and pepper... sliced a pickle and a splash of vinegar. Chopped the eggs and taters and mixed everything up. I used just the right amount of seasoning the first time and didn't have to add anything after I tasted it. I sprinkled paprika on the top. I waited to peel the potatoes until after they were cooked... and will not do that again. It was too messy and labor intensive. Next time, I will peel and slice them in advance as if I were going to make mashed potatoes. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. Thank you guys... usually when I try something for the first time (especially if it involves potatoes or eggs), it's a disaster.... and this wasn't!

Sorry the pic is so awful... my PDA phone is my only camera. And, yes, those are snickerdoodles in the background. It feels good to be back in the kitchen!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Momto4, there are now two Annies, LOL. Confusing, isn't it? (grin)

Yes, I did make the southwestern potato salad and I liked it a lot, keeping the jalapenos to a minimum. However, I'm not a big fan of the traditional creamy potato salad, so that's probably why I liked the southwestern stuff. It's from Eating Well, so it's relatively healthy. I freeze the rest of the can of chipotles, that tip came from Jessica, so I always have little "dabs" of chipotle in adobo in the freezer for this or Jessica's lime/cilantro marinade.

1 can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce -- (7-ounce)
    2 pounds small red potatoes Cooking spray
    5 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 can black beans -- (15-ounce) rinsed and drained
    1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely chopped
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    3 tablespoons canola oil
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Remove 1 chipotle chile from can. Chop chile to measure 2 teaspoons. Reserve remaining chiles and adobo sauce for another use.

Place potatoes in a saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool. Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch cubes. Place potatoes in a large bowl.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add corn; saute 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add corn, celery, and next 5 ingredients (celery through jalapeno) to potatoes; toss gently.

Combine 2 teaspoons chopped adobo chile, lime juice, oil, salt, and black pepper, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle the lime juice mixture over potato mixture, and toss gently. Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours.

CALORIES 209 (25% from fat); FAT 5.8g (sat O.4g, mono 3.1g, poly 1.8g); PROTEIN 5.1g; CARB 37.9g; FIBER 5.7g; CHOL Omg; IRON 2.3mg; SODIUM413mg; CALC 33mg

As for the rest of my family, it's a traditional potato salad. I like mayo, but the girls and Dad liked Miracle Whip. I always made a BIG bowl because I think making potato salad is a pain and I hate it, LOL, plus it tastes better after it sits and chills for a day or so. Anyway..

Dice and boil the potatoes, I mostly used russets but I'd use red potatoes in a pinch. Boil eggs separately, and chop the whites, reserve the yolks. Mash the yolks and mix with a cup of mayo and half a cup of sour cream, some chopped sweet pickle or sweet relish (a couple of tablespoons), and use a bit of the pickle juice to thin the dressing. Pour the dressing over the warm potatoes, add the chopped egg white and a chopped onion, stir it all gently and refrigerate. Eh. It's potato salad.

The Original Annie :-)

• obxgina
    14 years ago

Bobby, welcome back! I don't like anything sweet in my potato salad and I can't eat eggs. Here is the one that is my families favorite. Note: dress the potatoes while they are still warm.
    I use red skin potatoes with the skins on, gently boil until fork tender, but not mushy. Cut into bite size chunks. Add a small, chopped red or yellow onion. S&P to taste. 2-3 tsps. of celery seed. I use Good Seasons Italian dressing in the packet, mix according to directions and add enough of the dressing to make potatoes moist. Add about a 1/2 cup of mayo. or more if you like. Mix and refrigerate overnight.

• aliceinmd
    14 years ago

Here is one more, adapted from Southern Living magazine, June 1976. We especially like the combination of mayonnaise and sour cream.

SOUR CREAM POTATO SALAD

7 cups (~3 pounds) potatoes -- Boil with skins on until just tender. Quickly peel and cut up.
    1/3 cup Italian salad dressing -- Add to cut up potatoes while they are still warm. Let cool.

4 eggs -- Hard cook them. Then mix:

4 egg yolks, mashed
    2/3 cup mayonnaise
    3/4 cup sour cream
    1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard

4 egg whites, chopped
    1/3 cup chopped green onion
    1/2 pound bacon, fried and crumbled
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon celery seed

Fold egg yolk and egg white mixtures into the potato mixture. Chill thoroughly.

Notes:
    Use either red-skin or brown-skin potatoes, based on your personal preference.
    I like the potatoes cut into 1/4" cubes, some prefer the pieces to be larger.
    It is important to combine the Italian dressing with the potatoes as you cut them up while the potatoes are still warm.
    I use whatever bottled Italian dressing I have on hand.
    I use a food processor to combine the egg yolks, mayo, sour cream, and mustard so theyÂre creamy.
    The original recipe calls for prepared mustard with horseradish; I usually use plain Grey Poupon Dijon.
    Reduced fat mayonnaise and sour cream are fine in this recipe.
    I use only 1/4 pound bacon, or Hormel bacon bits -- just enough to look right.

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

A little trick:

When you boil potatoes with their peels on, you get more potato flvaor in the potato.

I've done my share of cooking potatoes with peel still on and trying to peel them while still hot. Probably one of the stupidest things I've done in the kitchen. And one of the stupidest -- AND FUNNIEST -- things I've watched others do.

So now I peel my potatoes and save the largest pieces of peel, which I put into the cooking water with the peeled potatoes. When the potatoes are done, I throw away the peels.

Makes a difference for me.

When I make potato salad, I'll sometimes make them with potatoes skin-on and sometimes make them with peeled potatoes (as above). Depends on the effect I want.

Joe

• gwtamara
    14 years ago

Hi everyone --

Wow -- some really terrific recipes! Any chance anyone has any pictures to go along with them? With summer and picnic season just around the corner, we'd love to create a slideshow and feature these. Yum!

Thanks,

Tamara
    GardenWeb Community Manager

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

Bobby, I'm glad it worked out for you. Yours looks good. I don't like onion and Christy doesn't like celery so we often have like yours with just the eggs. She only likes dill pickles and we have cut them up to use in the salad but then we found some dill pickle relish so we use that when we can find it. Heh,,, yes scraping the peels off are a bit messy but I do it anyway because it's so much faster than peeling potatoes ahead of time. The dill is a nice addition. Love dill.

Tamara, probably a lot of us will be making potato salad for this upcoming holiday weekend. We will try to keep this thread bumped up so maybe some who might not have pics will get some taken.

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

I have potatoes cooking right now! I'll take of the potato salad we are having tonight. I have a couple of additional T+T recipes I can add also.

Nancy

• gwtamara
    14 years ago

That was my thought, too, Coconut! Thanks so much!

• riverrat1
    14 years ago

The Ultimate Potato Salad made by my friend. Not your traditional potato salad but now one my favorite ways to have them.

Fingerling potatoes boiled till they are ALMOST done. After draining the potatoes, pan saute potatoes in butter. After the potatoes are sauted then put in a baking dish. Pour butter on top of potatoes. Sprinkle bacon pieces all over then cover with blue cheese. Bake at 300 for about 20 minutes or until the cheese melts. You really want the potatoes chunky, not mashed. Nummy num num!

• avondale88
    14 years ago

KFC Potato Salad 2pounds russet potatoes
    1 cup mayonnaise
    4 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
    4 teaspoons sugar
    2 teaspoons minced white onion
    2 teaspoons prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon vinegar
    1 teaspoon minced celery
    1 teaspoon diced pimentos
    1/2 teasppon shredded carrot
    1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    dash salt
    1. Lightly peel the potatoes (leave a little skin on), then chop them into bite-size pieces and boil in 6 cups of boiling, salted water for 7 to 10 minutes. The potato chunks should be tender, yet slightly tough in the middle when done. Drain and rinse potatoes with cold water.
    2. In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth.
    3. Pour drained potatoes into a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and mix until well combined.
    4. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best.
    Makes 6 cups (about 8 servings)

• lyndaluu2
    14 years ago

Bobby,
    It looks great! Sometimes you just need a little encouragement, and I would say you did great!!!

Linda

• eileenlaunonen
    14 years ago

For NY style i soak my poatatos in a brine for 24 hrs

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Hey, bobby, you and I must have been posting at about the same time, because that picture wasn't there when I started, LOL.

Your salad looks good, so how was the cookout, or was your potato salad just a "test run"?

Annie

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Making mine tonight or tomorrow...
    Will try to remember to take a photo!

Deanna

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Annie and Lynda. It was just a test run... It's been pouring rain every afternoon and evening for the last week... before that it was too hot to even consider going out the door to go to the grocery store LOL That was definitely just a test run... I wanted to do one anyway since I'd never make it before!

• Jo-Ann
    14 years ago

I love this recipe - it's a bit of work, but if you are not a big fan of store bought mayonnaise and you do like something different, try this. It is spectacular!

Old Fashioned Potato Salad:

3 lbs (10) unpared, medium potatoes, well scrubbed
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    Boiling Water

Cook Potatoes until fork tender, not mushy. Slice (with peel on).

Marinade:

1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/8 tsp pepper
    Dash Cayenne
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup salad oil
    1/2 cup green onion chopped.

Pour marinade over still-warm, cooked potatoes. Toss gently to coast well, refrigerate covered at least 2 hours.

Boiled Dressing:

1 tbsp flour
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 1/4 cups milk
    3 egg yolks slightly beaten
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 tbsp prepared mustard
    2 tbsp butter

Stir flour with sugar and salt. With wire whisk, gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring over medium heat until mixture starts to boil. Boil 1 minute, remove from heat. Gradually stir the hot mixture, a little at a time into the beaten egg yolks. Pour back into saucepan. Add vinegar & mustard. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture starts to boil. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Cool, then refrigerate.

One hour before serving, add celery, radish, hard-cooked eggs and dressing to potatoes. Refrigerate until serving time.

Bon Appetit!

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

Here's a picture of my Backwoods Basic Potato Salad (the recipe is above)

Here's another favorite, it's great with beef tenderloin or steaks.

Blue Cheese Potato Salad

3# cooked red potatoes, cooled and chopped
    ¼ C dry white wine
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp pepper
    ½ C mayo (Hellman's)
    ½ C sour cream
    1½ Tbsp Dijon mustard
    4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
    3 green onions, chopped fine
    1 C coarsely chopped celery

In a large bowl combine potatoes, wine, salt and pepper. Let sit until the wine is absorbed by the potatoes, about 30 minutes.
    Combine mayo with remaining ingredients. Add to potatoes and stir well. Allow about 30 minutes for flavors to combine before serving.

Nancy

• trixietx
    14 years ago

I make potato salad "by the seat of my pants," but one thing I have discovered is that it lasts longer, or doesn't get watery if you bake the potatoes rather than boil them.

• gabby63
    14 years ago

Recipe is a little involved but well worth it. Especially when the compliments come in.
    DANISH POTATO SALAD
    1/4 CUP VINEGAR(CIDER)
    1/4 CUP WATER
    1/4 CUP SUGAR
    1/4 TSP SALT
    Heavy DASH OF PEPPER
    2 EGGS WELL BEATEN
    1 TSP MUSTARD
    (I PREFER TO USE DRY MUSTARD)

Mix vinegar, water sugar,salt in sauce pan. Bring to boil. Slowly add eggs mixing well. Reduce the heat and keep stirring until mixture thickens. Remove from heat allow to cool for 5 minutes. Add 1 to 2 cups mayonnaise.

The following measurements are just a suggested guideline. I actually add more than is listed here.
    1 tsp Mrs Dash Original
    1 tsp CELERY SEED
    2 HARD COOKED EGGS(According to taste)
    4 cups CUBED POTATOES
    ½ cup CHOPPED CELERY
    1/4 cup FINELY DICED ONION.(Can use green onions)
    Fold together with the dressing.

Adjust the seasoning.I usually have to add more salt and pepper at this point.

I usually add 3to 4 drops of hot sauce to the dressing.
    I doubled the recipe today. (07/24/07)
    I used ½ green pepper, 2 stalks of celery, 9 green onions and I used some of the green stalk also.

I have added cucumber also in the past, radish for color, red onion instead of green onion.

Does anyone know a good rule of thumb of how many Lbs. of potatoes for 100-to 150 I would be forever grateful.