SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756839

New Ninja Kitchen system

User
10 years ago

It is coming up to smoothie time of year and my old blender didn't cut the mustard anymore. So I just bought a ninja kitchen system. I didn't have a food processor either. Due to the fact my old blender was so bad I have never added veggies to a smoothie before I did the iced coffee recipe in it the other day but next time I will use frozen coffee cubes instead of ice. I also made salsa in the dough bowl-- so quick.

What are your favorite smoothie combos?

What else do you use your Ninja for?

Special Ninja recipes?

Comments (28)

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

I love my Ninja.
    I pre-make a batch of smoothie mix that I add to coffee ice cubes.

MOCHA SMOOTHIE
    Ingredients For Batch of Dry Mix 1-17.4 oz can Godiva Dark Chocolate Truffle Cocoa Mix
    1 cup Unsweetened Dark Cocoa
    4 cups Splenda-or sweetener to your liking

Mix dry ingredients very well. Store in airtight canister.

Individual Serving
    8 tbls of dry mix
    Pinch of salt
    8 tbls half & half or fat free half & half
    1 tray coffee ice cubes

Make a tray of coffee ice cubes day before.
    Add half & half, salt, and dry mix to blender. Blend until smooth. Add tray of coffee ice 1/3 at a time until smoothie texture.

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

If you didn't get a copy of "NINJA Breakthrough Blending" cookbook, I think you would enjoy it and will find a good mix of NINJA-specific recipes to try. Lots of smoothie recipes. -Grainlady

1. I use my Ninja once a week to make almond milk. I blend one cup of soaked almonds in 2 to 2-1/2 c. of water in the 40-oz. bowl.

2. SPAGHETTI MARINARA
    (source: NINJA Breakthrough Blending!)

Makes 3-cups

28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, with juice from can
    1/4 c. tightly packed fresh basil leaves
    1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    1/2 c. good red wine
    1/2 t. salt
    1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper

Place all of the ingredients into 72 oz. pitcher and blend on "2" until the vegetables are finely chopped and the sauce is semi-smooth. In a large skillet, heat 1 T. extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the sauce from the blender, stir to incorporate the oil, reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce, partially covered, for 15-minutes.

3. OAT GROAT PANCAKES
    (source: adapted from recipe in "The Splendid Grain" by Rebecca Wood)

Makes about 15

2/3 c. oat groats
    1/3 c. buckwheat groats, toasted
    1/4 c. whey, kefir, yogurt or buttermilk
    1 c. milk or nut milk
    3 large eggs
    2 T. butter or coconut oil - melted
    2 T. palm sugar (or brown sugar)
    1 t. baking powder
    1/2 t. grated nutmeg
    (I also like to add some vanilla or Pure Vanilla Bean Paste.)

Combine the oat groats, buckwheat, milk and whey in the blender container. DO NOT BLEND. Stir ingredients with a spoon. Cover and let soak, refrigerated, overnight or for 8-hours. After soaking period, blend until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and process to combine. Cook on a preheated griddle.

• Related Discussions

Forced air system - How to heat new rooms?

Q

Comments (3)
    I would go for new ducting (since you are just above the basement) if you have suffcient capacity of your existing furnace and if your present heating sustem is NOT electric, since electric is way too expensive. Of course, the initial investment would be higher but you will recover your cost within a few years.
    ...See More

The NinjA

Q

Comments (7)
    I've never heard of the Ninja until now. I have an old Oster blender that does almost everything except food processing. Like Linda C, I am always skeptical about things sold on the infomercial. If I am interested in some infomercial gadgets I will do a lot of review search before investing my money in it. Amazon.com carries it. You may want to go there to see what other people have to say about it. Al Here is a link that might be useful: Ninja on Amazon
    ...See More

what water purification system to plumb into new kitchen???

Q

Comments (8)
    Ease of changing filters is more of an issue of where the unit is placed than anything else. If they're easy to get to, they'll be easy enough to change. Restricted-access locations will be harder. FWIW, I have two Kinetico RO systems running at two different locations. They were -- and are -- expensive as these things go but they do hold up. Mine have been in service and trouble free (except filter changes) for 18 years. That's not an assumption. I test the output compared with mfg, spec. They're performing now exactly as they did when new. My city water goes through softener first, then RO unit. I'm told RO units last longer with soft water but I'm not a pro. Suspect likely true.
    ...See More

Nutri Ninja Blender

Q

Comments (6)
    I have the big one and the small one, the rule you know (one for the house and one for the rv lol) They are both excellent and I have made dough in my big ninja. It's great, works well, and makes really good pizza dough :) I've enjoyed smoothies as breakfast for quite a while now. Love them. I use mine for just about everything. Mine came with the tall blender cup, the medium blender for dough, and 4 individual containers with lids, it has the chopper blade for the big and small containers and the dough hook. I got mine from Costco when it was on sale. I love it so much if I had to I'd buy another one :) I make smoothies with either spinach or kale added to frozen fruit and yogurt. They are pure deliciousness, and add to our daily intake for vegetables. This is mine:My system
    ...See More
  • maggie2094
    10 years ago

Is the system the one with a food processor? I don't have that, I have the one with the 3 single cups. I use it almost daily! The big blender I make The Glowing Green Smoothie. Not sure u into green smoothies, I can post recipe if you are.

I often make the kids Kefir or yogurt based smoothies with whatever fruit looks like it is going or I have bags of frozen fruit. My fave afternoon boost is vanilla almond milk, banana, tablespoon of almond butter, and flax.

I used the single yesterday to purée frozen raspberries to add to Prosecco...not a recipe lol

• cookie8
    10 years ago

3-4 cups spinach, 1/4 cup pineapple juice, 1/2 banana, handful of ice is my favourite

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have no idea if I like green smoothies yet ALL recipes will be helpful. The cookbook did not come with it but it does have 2 cookie recipes and a pizza dough recipe. I would like to try veggie smoothies but not sure what how much to use and I have carrots and beets, bananas, apples and blueberries on hand, not sure what proportions to use and still have it taste good.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is what I have

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

Don't forget to do a search for Ninja Blender recipes on-line. -Grainlady

Source: NINJA Breakthrough Blending!

BREAKFAST VEGGIE BLEND
    (serves 1)

1 c. vegetable blend juice (V-8 or Very Veggie are good choices)
    1/4 c. fresh carrot, cut into chunks
    8 leaves fresh spinach, torn
    pinch salt
    pinch black pepper

Place all ingredients into the 40-oz. bowl with the blade assembly. Blend on 3 until smooth. Pour and serve over ice.

GARDEN IN A GLASS (serves 1) 8\-oz. spicy tomato juice 1 t. lemon juice 1 small Roma tomato, cut into quarters 1\-inch piece onion, peeled 1\-inch piece green bell pepper, seeded dash Tabasco sauce celery stick for garnish Pour tomato and lemon juice into the 40\-oz. bowl with the blade assembly. Add the tomato, onion and green pepper. Add the Tabasco sauce to taste. Blend on 2 for one minute, or until very smooth. Strain, if desired, and pour over ice into a tall glass. Garnish with the celery stick.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Grainlady do you strain your almond milk?

• Virginia7074
    10 years ago

So glad you got a new Ninja Kitchen System and started this thread! I got one last summer (good price at Macys + a coupon), but am almost ashamed to admit that the only thing I've used it for so far is banana-strawberry smoothies. No other flavor, just a banana, a handful of frozen strawberries, some milk and yogurt. I'm eager to try green smoothies and grainlady and mustangs - those suggestions sound great.

I always store the blade in the jar, because it's so dang sharp. Last week, I whirled water around in the jar and forgot the blade was in there when I dumped it out onto my thumb. At least the cut was very neat and clean. I had to admonish DH for leaving the large blade in one of the drawers - could just see myself reaching in for the can opener and grabbing that instead!

• John Liu
    10 years ago

I have only just started using my Ninja. Turns out that instead of hand mashing and whipping boiled rutabaga, butter and cream, you can just toss it all in the Ninja and it comes out fluffy and light. I think I may like this machine.

• maggie2094
    10 years ago

Oh I see, I have this one with the to go cups. You have food processor.

I drink this every morning. It gives me so much energy.

Kimberly SnyderâÂÂs Glowing Green Smoothie

Ingredients
    -1 1/2 cups waterâ¨
    -1 head organic romaine lettuce, chopped
    -3-4 stalks organic celeryâ¨
    -1/2 head of a large bunch, or 3/4 of a small bunch of spinach
    -1 organic apple, cored and chopped
    -1 organic pear, cored and chopped
    -1 organic bananaâ¨
    -Juice of 1/2 fresh organic lemon

Optional
    -1/3 bunch organic cilantro (stems okay)â¨
    -1/3 bunch organic parsley (stems okay)

Directions
    â¨Add the water and chopped head of romaine to the blender. Starting the blender at low speed, mix until smoothi. Gradually moving to higher speeds, add the celery, apple and pear. Add the cilantro and parsley, if you are choosing to add them. Add the banana and lemon juice last.

The fruit and lemon cut right though the grass taste. Feel free to mix and match different greens and fruits, as these two specific food groups combine well.

Good tip on the blade, Virginia.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I tried

carrots 1/2 or a very large one
    beets (only 1/4 of one)
    blueberries 1cup
    2 bananas
    1 cup grape juice
    splash of lemon juice

Won't be using beets again any time soon flavor was very strong. I am glad my friend warned me about beets and I only used 1/4 or I would have had to throw it out. However the color was nice and it was drinkable. I added the second banana because of the beet flavor.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    10 years ago

"-----I am glad my friend warned me about beets and I only used 1/4 or I would have had to throw it out. ---"

Beets can be very big or very small. Depends.

Also, you can try cooking the beets first. They get sweeter and less strong.

Golden beets are even milder.

dcarch

• maggie2094
    10 years ago

Bananas add a creamy texture to smoothies as well. Even better if u freeze them (unpeeled).

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

CLBlakey-

I strain my almond milk using a nut milk bag. I use the raw fresh pulp for making cookies, crackers, a granola-like cereal, or mixed with some coconut oil and blended to make almond butter. I also dehydrate the pulp to use in recipes calling for almond flour.

-Grainlady

• John Liu
    10 years ago

Uh. Don't make mashed potatoes in the Ninja. I did, because I am lazy. Produced an excellent glue.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on the mashed I was thinking about that you stopped me in time.................Whew!! but will do the rutabaga for sure.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sad to report my ninja bowl lid no longer folds down to lock it is really tight I don't think I kept the receipt either :( anyone else have this problem?

Edit--Wow!! that was fast I took a chance on calling Ninja (I don't have the receipt and didn't register my machine) and they are mailing me a new lid.

WARNING--Product says dishwasher safe but don't do it at least not on the bottom rack. Especially if you have really hot water.

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 9:37

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Interestingly, my neurologist recommends the Ninja to his patients. He has no economic affiliation with the company, but he encourages nutritional attention and the use of smoothies. I have an old, retro Waring blender and a fabulous food processor, so I couldn't see myself popping for yet another counter top appliance, but if the blender ever gives up, I'll consider it. I once tried mashed potatoes in a food processor. Horrid disaster. I have mashed sweet potatoes with an attachment on the Magimix, though, and they are wonderful.

• John Liu
    10 years ago

I've been making smoothies with the Ninja, as follows (quantities approximate)
    - 2 cup Greek yoghurt, non-fat
    - 2 cups berries, whatever kind you like
    - 1 Tbsp sugar (less if you're not a sweet toother)
    - 1 Tbsp protein powder
    - Enough milk, to reach desired consistency.

This is a low fat, probiotic, high-protein, reasonable calorie, smoothie.

You should drink such a smoothie after (choose one)
    - an intensive weight lifting session
    - high intensity interval training
    - intently watching TV on the couch

Where's the remote?

• jenn
    10 years ago

So glad to see this! My husband wants the Ninja with the 1500 watt motor. I'm torn... it seems the Vitamix is bullet-proof but lots of consumers love their Ninja.

Does anyone have a recipe like the Naked beverage 'Green Machine'? It is green but tastes like berries and is delicious!

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

Since this thread was started I was gifted a reconditioned Vitamix and absolutely LOVE it! I still use my Ninja for many things (it came with a great cookbook), but the Vitamix is the way to go if you can afford it. What we missed not having a Vitamix -- the ability to make heated soup, frozen treats, and it will liquefy whole foods that you would normally need a juicer for.

I was able to find a recipe on-line that may work for you - Homemade Naked Juice.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: This Vegan Life - Homemade Naked Juice

10 years ago

"---but the Vitamix is the way to go if you can afford it.---"

Grainlady, often I feel there is a silent competition between you and me; who is the cheapest. LOL!

You win on the use of solar cookers. I don't have a solar cooker, just a solar grill.

But I win when it comes to a cheap blender on steroids.

For those of you already have a woodshop router, just buy a Blentec jar, which comes with blades, marry the two, and you will have a very powerful blender for about $40.00. The router can still be used as a router.

Enjoy your Vitamix. Wonderful for making many dehydrated fruits and veggies.

dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 14:47

• triciae
    10 years ago

lol dcarch. That invention might work but it is the ugliest blender I've ever seen! (grin) I know, I'm shallow. But that's not going to ever earn counter space in my kitchen and I'm also not going to haul the smoothie to the garage workshop to blend. lol Thanks for the smiles. :) You are creative and fun.

Grainlady, congrats on the new Vitamix gift. I've often looked at them but I don't think we can afford all the fresh produce it would gobble up. ;)

/tricia

This post was edited by triciae on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 15:15

10 years ago

"----That invention might work but it is the ugliest blender I've ever seen! (grin)---"

Obviously you have no understanding of the noble pursuit of "Redneck Culture"!

dcarch LOL!

This post was edited by dcarch on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 15:42

• triciae
    10 years ago

lol "Obviously you have no understanding of "Redneck Culture"!"

Well, you got me there - I don't. :) Been in NE for 20 years and I'm still learning about "Yankee Yards"! rofl

/t

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

dcarch-

You are the epitome of frugal, and much admired :-).

I've never been competitive - it just doesn't make sense to me. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my own "craziness" at times.....

tricia\- I wouldn't have thought there was that much difference between the Ninja and the Vitamix (especially compared to the blender I bought in 1970 at a garage sale when I was 17 and just out of high school and used for decades \- anything would have been better \- hahaha), but there sure is a difference. The pulp from making almond milk is much finer in the Vitamix. I had trouble getting the Ninja to make canary seed milk (it left more seed than milk and took much longer to blend), but the Vitamix did an excellent job of it in just a few minutes of blending. With fresh Colorado peaches available, we've been gobbling down a lot of Peach Soy Sherbet (except I use almond or coconut milk instead of soy) \- which takes about 40\-60 seconds to make. \-Grainlady
  • ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

Huge difference between the Vitamix and the Ninja but there is also a huge difference in price!!! We have had our Vitamix for 15-20 years and just loved it but the variable speed stopped working. I bought the Ninja system (for 1/5 of the price!) and thought it would replace my Vitamix. WRONG.

When I tried making my tomato sauce for canning in the Ninja, I found the seeds and skins didn't completely puree as they do in the Vitamix. So, up from the basement came the Vitamix. I will use it for tomato sauce and applesauce (where I also use the skins) but the Ninja is adequate for most other things.

10 years ago

"-----but the variable speed stopped working. ---"

Easy, if the Vitamix still runs.

Buy a $20.00 Router speed controller, plug your Vitamix in and you can vary the speed from 0 to full.

dcarch

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County