Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for side dishes w/Halibut

Posted by dukerdawg (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 08 at 10:06

My dad found Halibut on sale for 15.99 a pound! Haven't had it in 2 years and I am going to do the parmesan/panko bake. I'm wondering what to serve with it. My dad doesn't like rice, so I'm looking for something else.

Ideas?

TIA

Duane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for side dishes w/Halibut

Cous cous is good with fish. I typed up my recipe for Ginger Scented Cous Cous in another thread...there are also some other great sounding sides in the thread.

If you're doing a Parmesan-Panko bake, you might follow the Parmesan lead into Italy and serve it with a nice marinara pasta, or, how about a lemon anchovy sauce?

Lemon Angel Hair

Prepare your angel hair pasta or thin spaghetti according to your personal preference.

Mince a good amount of Italian parsley...it is an actual ingredient, not simply a garnish.

Mince garlic cloves according to your taste (I like lots)

anchovies (minced) or anchovy paste

fresh lemon juice

freshly ground black pepper

extra virgin olive oil.

Heat the olive oil, and quickly saute the garlic to release it's aroma but not to brown. Add the anchovies/paste & black pepper and stir for a moment or two. Add the pasta & parsley & toss to coat & warm the pasta through, drizzle with lemon juice & serve.

Putting proportions down is difficult, as I have never measured them. It would probably be good for you to experiment before the actual dinner. What you want is a good, lemony, salty flavor but not fishy. Better to underdo than overdo with the sauce ingredients because you can always quickly saute some more garlic, anchovy & pepper to toss in with more lemon if it's bland. It really is a forgiving and easily adjusted for taste pasta side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger Scented Couscous

o

Duane:

Noodles -- a gazillion ways even simply buttered.

Ravioli, tortellini -- maybe stuffed with just cheese, maybe stuffed with shrimp or lobster or crab; deconstructed or "inside-out" versions of ravioli are very hot now

Roasted vegetables -- the starchy ones, of course, such as parsnips, carrots, sweet potato, winter squash

au gratin -- I like cauliflower

Potato pancakes -- we did these at the restaurant with many kinds of fish

Couscous -- with diced vegetables

Hush puppies

Orzo salad

In addition to these "starches", make sure you have plenty of green veggies.

Joe

o

Duane, we eat halibut as often as possible when it is in season here. Moe and I both love rice, but his side of choice for halibut is potatoes. Either roasted potato wedges, or fries or parisienne potatoes. Lori's Parmesan crusted Halibut is delicious. You are in for a real treat. I really don't like Panko so I use homemade fresh bread crumbs.

o

I think you may be referring to Lori's halibut, if so , you're going to love it!

Roasted or grilled asparagus is our green veggie of choice with halibut. Especially right now when it's local!

For the starch we like oven roasted new potatoes with rosemary. Just halve new potatoes , toss in some olive oil to lightly coat, sprinkle with fresh chopped rosemary and roast uncovered at 400 or so turning occasionally. I also do these on the BBQ wrapped in foil.

If it's a special meal these potatoes are very good and make a nice showing.

Tattoed Potatoes (Monique)

1/3 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp freshly cracked pepper
6 small fresh rosemary sprigs or Italianparsley leaves
3 russet potatoes unpeeled, cut in half lengthwise

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Pour olive oil into medium sized glass baking dish and add salt and pepper, stirring to combine. Press rosemary sprig or parsley leaf on cut side of each potato half and place cut side down in the oil.

Bake until potatoes are nicely browned, 40 to 45 minutes. While cooking, gently move potatoes every now and then with spatula to keep from sticking. Remove from pan when done, turning flat side up, carefully leaving pressed herb in place. Arrange on platter and serve immediately.

A glass dish works well because you can check for doneness by carefully holding dish overhead to see if potatoes are browned, being careful not to spill the hot oil.

o

This looks really yummy!...thanks chase for the recipe

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipes

o

Ooh, that reminds me of a new way (well, new to me) I just learned of making small potatoes...new potatoes or the thicker fingerlings or just small red or white potatoes, about the size of golf balls.

Melt enough butter in a pan to thoroughly coat the potatoes (don't peel them) when you shake them in the pan. Sprinkle with kosher salt & black pepper. Put the lid on the pot and reduce the heat to low for 25 minutes. Remove the pan & leave the potatoes to steam for another 5 before removing the lid & sprinkling the potatoes with your choice of fresh minced herbs. I like marjoram, with a bit of rosemary & chives.

These are so tasty that I eat the leftovers cold for snacks just as they are.

o

Duane, the Halibut is so good, I like to go really simple.
Roasted asparagus and a slice of homemade (or good artisan) bread and real butter! That's it.

(and my MIL just gave us a couple of packages of frozen Halibut.........hmmmmmmmmmm???)

Deanna

o

Thanks for the ideas! Still debating...but going to be Cauliflower and some kind of potato. Either Au Gratin or twice baked. I love the new potato idea too but the market didn't have them yesterday. By the way the cauliflower was $3.99 a head! But it was huge..so I hemmed and hawed and finally grabbed it. At least it's something healthy for the money. And besides....thats only about a gallon of gas! Jeesh!

Duane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here