SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Gluten free, nut free cake

sally2_gw
11 years ago

My grandson's birthday party is this weekend, and I asked my DIL if she was planning to buy his cake, or if she expected me to make it again this year. In true fashion for my DIL, she said, "Oh, I think it would be easier for you to make it." (Last year they told me they were going to buy it, then, at the last minute, said they needed me to make it). So, I'm making it again.

Grandson wants a vanilla cake. His other Grandma has just been diagnosed with Celiac's disease, and one of the guests is allergic to peanuts, and they avoid all nuts, so almond flour is out. I know there are delicious flourless chocolate cakes out there, but since he's asked for a vanilla cake, which I've never heard of, the chocolate cake is out. DIL said I don't have to worry about gluten free, as her mother wouldn't want me to make one. She doesn't like gluten free products. But, I doubt she's had a gluten free cake from scratch, either. But, I don't make cakes very often, and have never worked with gluten free flour, so this cake could reinforce her experience of not liking gluten free products!

Any recipes or ideas? I don't have time to order anything ffrom King Arthur, but I did call around, and one store has Bob's Red Mill GF flour.

Here's a recipe from King Arthur Flour's website for yellow cake, which could probably pass as a vanilla cake to a 5 year old. It got mixed reviews.

Gluten-Free Yellow Cake

This cake's fabulous texture will make any cake lover smile. Double the ingredients for a classic two-layer birthday cake.

Note: you must use a stand mixer or electric hand mixer to prepare the batter for this cake; mixing by hand doesn't do a thorough enough job.

1. Volume
  2. Ounces
  3. Grams

1 1/2 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour or brown rice flour blend*

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

2 tablespoons gluten-free King Arthur Cake Enhancer, optional

3/4 cup sugar

6 tablespoons soft butter

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract

2 large eggs

1/2 cup milk, at room temperature

*See recipe for this blend below.

Directions

Note: This recipe as written makes a single cake layer. To make a double-layer cake, double the recipe.

1) Preheat the oven to 350�F. Lightly grease a 9" round cake pan.

2) Whisk together the flour or flour blend, xanthan gum, and Cake Enhancer.

3) In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the sugar, soft butter, salt, baking powder, and vanilla until smooth. Add 1 egg, and beat for a minute or so at high speed, until fluffy.

4) Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl. Still using the mixer, beat in the other egg; the mixture should become quite fluffy. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl again.

5) Continuing to use the mixer, beat in the milk, at low speed, alternately with the dry ingredients, adding about 1/3 of each at a time, and ending with the dry ingredients.

6) Scoop the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake for about 25 minutes, about 3 to 4 minutes past the point where the cake springs back when touched lightly in the center, and a cake tester (or toothpick) inserted into the middle comes out clean. The finished cake's internal temperature should be 210�F.

7) Remove from the oven, and cool for 5 to 10 minutes before turning out of the pan to cool on a rack.

Yield: One 9" round cake. Ingredients can be doubled to make a layer cake.

I don't know enough to know if it's a good recipe or not, other than I trust King Arthur Flour.

Sally

Here is a link that might be useful: King Arthur Flour yellow cake recipe

Comments (10)