Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
substitution for almond butter

Posted by susie100 (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 9:33

I have a recipe for flourless chocolate cake, but it calls for 3 tablespoons of almond butter. Someone who will eat the cake has a nut allergy; is there a good substitution for almond butter? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: substitution for almond butter

I think the best would be "cow butter"....

o

Almond butter has a distinctive flavor. To try to substitute something else in a recipe that lists 3 Tbs. of it would be like trying to substitute something else for the peanut butter in peanut butter cookies. You'd end up with cookies, but not with the flavor the recipe intended.

I would look to another flourless chocolate cake recipe without the almond butter.

o

A lot of flourless chocolate cakes use ground nuts for substance. You can't substitute.

Try David Lebovitz's Orbit Cake. I haven't tried it myself, but the story with it implies it should work....

o

How about a flourless cake recipe that doesn't use nut butters or ground nuts (see link below)? I'd use a recipe WITHOUT nuts or nut butters, instead of using a substitute, to increase the success of the recipe.

Cashew or peanut butter is the common substitute for almond butter (according to Cook's Thesaurus: http://www.foodsubs.com/Nutseed.html)

Are you working with a peanut allergy only, or an allergy to tree nuts? Some people who have a peanut allergy can consume tree nuts, but I'd check for sure or use the recipe linked below.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: The Ultimate Flourless Chocolate Cake

o

Try this one, it's rich, but good!

Flourless Chocolate Cake with Cassis
Serves 12

2 c half and half
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1/3 c sugar
4 large egg yolks

10 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
3/4 c unsalted butter
1/2 c creme de cassis
1/2 c cocoa powder
5 large eggs
1 c sugar

1/4 c whipping cream
6 tb plus 3/4 c creme de cassis liqueur
8 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
Bring half and half to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in
seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Whisk sugar and yolks in bowl.
Gradually whisk in half and half mixture. Return to saucepan; stir
over medium low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back
of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 5 minutes. (Do not
boil) Strain sauce. Cover, Chill until cold, at least 4 hours.

Preheat oven to 350. Butter 9 inch springform pan with 2 3/4 inch
high sides. Line bottom with parchment, Dust pan with flour, tap
out excess. Melt chocolate and butter in heavy medium saucepan
over low heat, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly, whisk in
cocoa and cassis. Using electric mixer beat eggs and sugar in
large bowl until mixture lightens and triples in volume, about 6
minutes. Add chocolate-butter mixture and fold together.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until top forms crust and
tester comes out with very moist crumbs attached, about 40 minutes.
Cool cake in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Press down on crusty
portion of cake to even. Release pan sides from cake. Turn out
cake onto rack. Peel off parchment and cool completely.

Icing

Bring cream to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Add chocolate and
6 tb cassis; Whisk until smooth. Let icing stand until cool but
still spreadable, about 15 minutes.

Place cake on plate. Ice top and sides. Chill 1 hour.

Simmer 3/4 c cassis in heavy small saucepan until reduced to generous
1/2 c, about 5 minutes. Cool.

Spoon creme anglaise onto plates forming pool. Spoon reduced cassis
decoratively atop sauce and swirl with knife. Place 1 slice in
center of each plate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's another one that we like, super easy too!

Passover Flourless Chocolate Torte

Makes 10 servings:

8 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (I used
chips)
1 C. (2 sticks) unsalted kosher for Passover pareve (non-dairy) margarine BUTTER IS FINE
8 large egg yolks
1 C. plus 1/3 C. sugar
5 large egg whites

paper doily
fresh raspberries (optional)
raspberry sauce (see recipe)

Preheat oven to 350 degress F. Line bottom of 9 inch springform pan w/ 2 3/4 inch high sides with parchment or wax paper. Stir chocolate and margarine in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Cool until lukewarm.

Using electric mixer, beat yolks and 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl until pale and very thick, about 4 minutes. Add chocolate mixture in 2 additions and beat until well blended. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar and beat until whites are stiff but not dry. Fold 1/3 of whites into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining whites in 2 additions. Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake torte until crust forms on top and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist batter and some moist crumbs still attached, about 55 minutes (top may crack). Run small sharp knife around torte to loosen. Cool in pan on rack (torte will fall and crack). Remove pan sides. Invert torte onto platter. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead and covered with cake dome and stored at room
temperature.)

Grind 1/3 cup sugar in blender until fine powder forms. Place doily atop torte. Sift ground sugar over doily; gently remove doily. Garnish torte with raspberries, if desired. Serve with raspberry sauce. ( I sprinkled powdered sugar over top instead of grinding my own.)

Raspberry Sauce:
2 12oz. packages frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed with juices 1 C. sugar

Puree raspberries with juices and sugar in processor until smooth. Transfer mixture to strainer set over bowl; press on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids in strainer. (can be made 2 days ahead and refrigerated)

o

Thanks for the suggestions, and for the recipes!!! My granddaughter loves flourless chocolate cake. (She's not the one with the allergy, and I'm not sure if the person I was referring to is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, or all nuts, just didn't want to take a chance). Never tried one before, and I'm eager to try one of the recipes. Thanks again.

o

Why not try soy nut butter? Just a thought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here