Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipe suggestion-cherries and bundt cake?

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 9:27

Son has requested I make something in bundt cake form. Usually, I make quick breads this way and slice off a reasonable piece for his post-fruit, milk, and yogurt breakfast. He's been having coffee cake, blueberry muffins... but this time, he wants it to be cherry. I have no recipes or even an idea of what it might be. Suggestions are most welcome! Thanks!

-Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipe suggestion-cherries and bundt cake?

I would put dried cherries instead of raisins in a recipe for a raisin bread.
The one linked below sounds good and fairly healthy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oatmeal raisin bread.

o

How bout a sort of Black Forest bundt cake. Chocolate cake with a layer of cherry filling in the middle. Chocolate sauce drizzled on top with cherries to decorate the top (You can leave out the liquor if so desired). What could be better then chocolate for breakfast?! NancyLouise

o

Love both ideas! Sound great.
:)

I also saw a lemon-dried cherry quick bread that looked dang tasty, but no reviews and I didn't get down to brass tacks on the ingredients.

The other thought I have involves almonds. Almonds and cherry are my favorite combination.

o

Here's what I'd do, I'd make a bundt cake recipe with a struesel swirl and add chopped maraschino cherries to the cake batter. Not too many!, their flavor is overpowering. I sub chopped maraschinos in AnnT's coconut blueberry muffins instead of blueberries, and it's like ambrosia in a muffin!

o

I have been making this recipe regularly since seeing it this past winter. I think it would easily adapt to a bundt pan. I use canned tart cherries that are very well drained and patted dry. I use light sour cream or Greek yogurt.

Penzeys Cherry Muffins
The cutest muffins around. Tasty too. Thank you Karen Reilly (story on page 16) for sharing.

2 3/4 Cups flour
4 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2-1 tsp. ALMOND EXTRACT
1/2 tsp. PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
1/2 tsp. salt
11/2 Cups sugar
11/2 Cups sour cream
11/2 Cups sour cherries (see note)
8 TB. (1 stick) butter, room temperature

Preheat oven to 400�. Grease and flour muffin tin cups or line with paper muffin cups. Combine flour, soda and salt in a bowl and mix well. In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, ALMOND and VANILLA EXTRACTS, sour cream and dry ingredients. Mix until just moistened (overmixing will make the muffins tough). Fold in the cherries. Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full with batter. Bake at 400� for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the tops are lightly browned.

Note: Sour cherries can usually be found frozen, canned or dried. If frozen or canned, drain off any juice before using. If dried, chop into smaller pieces and they taste great as well!

Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cooking time:20-25 minutes
Yield: 24

Nutritional Information:
Servings 24; Serving Size 1 muffin (62g); Calories 180; Calories from fat 60; Total fat 7g; Cholesterol 50mg; Sodium 150mg; Carbohydrate 25g; Dietary Fiber <1g; Sugars 14g; Protein 3g.

o

Well first, the important question, which is "sweet cherries or sour cherries". (grin)

I have this recipe which calls for maraschino cherries, but I've subbed home canned brandied sweet cherries and that worked well, so I think any kind of canned or frozen cherry would be OK.

Cherry Bundt Cake

1 1/2 cups sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, soft
1 cup butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
4 eggs
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup well drained,chopped maraschino cherries
1/2 cup pecans/almonds/walnuts (optional)

Glaze

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 tsp almond extract

Preheat the oven to 325. Combine sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla and mix till well blended.
Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each one.
Gradually add 2 cups of the flour mixed with baking powder.
Mix well.

Toss remaining 1/4 cup of flour with cherries and chopped nuts and fold into the batter.

Pour batter into a greased and floured 10 inch bundt cake pan. Bake 1 hr and 20 minute to 1 1/2 hours or until cake tests clean with a cake tester or toothpick. Cool on wire rack for 5 minute then remove from pan. Cool thoroughly.

Combine icing ingredients, mix well and drizzle over the cake. Garnish with additional cherries and nuts if you wish.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here