SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

When Pigs Fly Bakery Six-Grain & Pumpkin Seed Bread

moosemac
9 years ago

OK so I absolutely love this bread for toast. I usually have a slice for breakfast. The problem is I get sticker shock every time I buy a half loaf. The loaf is 7" or so round and is sold in half loaves. The price in my local grocery store is $6+ per half loaf. I can order it on line for $5 per loaf, 3 loaf min. plus $12.96 shipping or drive 30 miles to their bakery and buy it for $5 per loaf. The point is for me, it's expensive.

I have been searching for several years for a recipe and lo and behold I found one that with a few tweaks is a close approximation. I try to use organic as much as possible but have so much regular molasses in the pantry I'm using it up. I make the dough in my Zo bread machine and this recipe really gives it a workout but it works great. I shut the heat off on the Zo so it doesn't over proof. I didn't do that the first time and what a MESS!! LOL

Molasses Multi-Seed Bread

1 1/2 cups warm milk, 105 to 110F
1 cup warm water, 105 to 110F
4 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 cups King Arthur 100% Whole Wheat Flour
2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
2 1/2 cups King Arthur A/P Flour (I sometimes substitute a half cup of oat flour for part of this.)
4 tsp. Vital Wheat Gluten
2 packets instant yeast
1 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
3 tablespoons ground flax seed
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey

Combine, milk, water, melted butter, molasses and honey. Add to bread machine.
Combine all remaining ingredients EXCEPT YEAST.
Add to bread machine on top of liquid. Do not mix.
Make a long well in the flour mixture and add yeast to well.
Set bread machine to dough only cycle and process.
When dough cycle is complete, remove dough from machine and knead on floured surface about 5 minutes.
Divide dough in two pieces and shape in to loaves. Place dough in lightly greased loaf pans or free form. Cover and allow dough to rise until double in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Bake loaves in preheated 375 oven for 40-45 minutes
Cool on racks for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pans and cool on wire racks until completely cool. Wrap and store at room temperature or freeze.

Comments (6)