Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
There's leeks in my house!

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 7:06

My coworker gave me a bunch of leeks from her garden. I thought about making potato leek soup, or potato leek gratin, but since there's a whole bunch of them, I'd like a recipe that features the leeks, and I'm ready to try something new, too. Anybody have a leek recipe you love?

Sally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: There's leeks in my house!

Adore leeks! I do not have them from the garden until the fall. I lay them out flat, in a row, with asparagus, skewer across, brush with olive oil, s&p, then grill.
Love them in a brothy fish chowder. Similar to this one linked but i kick out the fennel, add a few shrimp or what ever i have...a seared scallop, a bit of fresh corn and a chopped fresh tomato or a few halved cherry ones...chives and parsley...sometimes a few small potatoes diced fine.
(different every time but the star is the leek!)

Here is a link that might be useful: salmon leek soup

o

These were a big hit at a spring party years ago, so now I make them for the same party every year.

Leek and Goat Cheese Tartlets

Crust

• 1 c all purpose flour
• 1/4 t salt
• 1/2 c chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 3 ounces chilled cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes*
• 2-3 t ice water

Filling
• 3 T (1/4 stick) butter
• 4 + c chopped leeks (6-7 medium leeks)
• 5 eggs
• 2 c cream
• 1/2 t salt
• 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper plus more atop tarts
• 8 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled

Crust:

Blend flour and salt in processor; add butter and cream cheese. Using on/off turns, pulse until blended, then add ice water, 1 teaspoon at a time until moist clumps form. Gather dough; shape into 6-inch-long log. Wrap and chill at least 1 hour and up to 1 day. Cut log into 24 1/4-inch-thick rounds. With floured rolling pin and then hands, press 1 round into greased cups of 2 -- 12-c muffin tins and freeze for at least 30 minutes or overnight.

Leek filling:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté until tender, then cool. Whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper together.

Spoon leeks into pastry shells. Sprinkle with goat cheese, and cover with egg mixture. Add a little more black pepper. Bake until set, about 30 minutes. Cool in pans briefly and remove tartlets. Serve immediately or cool and re-warm to serve.

These were easy and delicious. The crust recipe is very easy to work with. I made small tartlets by lining the muffin tins just halfway up the sides of the tins, and had about 30 tartlets.

*stick the cream cheese in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes prior to use to make it easier to cube

o

That sounds great, Mabeldingeldine. I should probably find a way to do something like that lighter, though.

Grilled leeks and asparagus sounds divine, Sleevendog. I might actually find a way to use them with kennel, since I have a lot of fennel fronds, too.

Sally

o

I haven't made these in a while, I think I need to go get some leeks!
Alexa

Spring Bruscetta

1 lb thin as possible asparagus spears
1 TBS EVO
1 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
1 lg leek, sliced very thin
2 shallots, sliced very thin
1 loaf crusty bread
2 garlic cloves
Cheese ��" Fontina or Brie are great!

Cook the shallots and leeks (med-low heat) in EVO until caramelized and sweet.
Toss the asparagus with EVO, Balsamic, Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Roast the asparagus in a 500 degree oven for 8 ��" 10 min.
Toast the bread in a 500 degree oven (or on the grill) until just golden and crispy. Rub garlic cloves over the bread.
Place asparagus spears and leek/shallot mixture on the bread and top with a little cheese. Run under the broiler.

o

I've made a really great leek terrine in the past out of one of my gazillion cookbooks but I can't recall which one. I found this online and think it is pretty close to what I made (although I have a faint memory of some roasted red peppers being layered in there, too). It is really easy and very beautiful when served. Delicious, too.

FRENCH LEEK TERRINE

Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes; Chilling time: Overnight
Yield: 8 servings

Cold-cooked leeks with vinaigrette is a popular first course in French bistros. That is really all there is to this terrine, a version of the newest type of terrine, one that holds together without proteins.

12 leeks, about 4 pounds
Salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
2 large lemons, juiced
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

1. Carefully trim off the roots of the leeks without cutting so high that the leeks fall apart. Then cut the leeks from the dark green end down so they fit the length of the terrine or loaf pan, about 11 by 4 inches. Finally, clean the leeks by washing them in cold running water, then immersing them in a bowl of cold water until there is no sign of grit.

2. In a large kettle of boiling water add 1 tablespoon salt, then when it returns to a boil add the leeks. Cook until tender when the white end is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 10 minutes.

3. Transfer the leeks carefully to a bowl of cold water for about 1 minute. Transfer them to a colander or toweling until dry.

4. Generously line the terrine or loaf pan with aluminum foil so there is enough to cover the top of the contents. Then arrange the leeks in a single layer with all the white portions pointing in the same direction. Press down to gently squeeze out water. Add salt and pepper to taste. Arrange the next layer with the white ends facing in the opposite direction and pressing down. Continue the layering and pressing until the terrine is filled and the leeks used up. There should be at least four layers. Cover with the foil and weigh down the terrine by putting a brick or canned goods on the top. Refrigerate at least overnight.

5. Before serving, make the vinaigrette. First bring about 1/3 cup water to a boil. Whisk the lemon juice with some salt and pepper to taste, then continuing to whisk, slowly dribble in the oil and then 1/4 cup of boiling water.

6. Unmold the terrine carefully, removing the foil. With an electric carving knife (best) or a very sharp slicing knife cut into 1-inch thick slices and transfer to individual serving plates. Dribble each with about 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Garnish with a pinch of parsley.

o

This one is definitely a "light" way to showcase your leeks. Recipe can be multiplied for more servings.

CHICKEN THIGHS WITH LEEKS & SHITAKES (2 servings -330 calories each)

2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
1 Tbs. flour
3 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 large or two small leeks, white and light green parts only, trimmed and sliced
4 oz. shitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/8 tsp. salt
Sprinkle of ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 tsp. dried

Place chicken on a plate and sprinkle all over with flour. Reserve the excess flour.

Heat 2 tsp. oil in nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

Add the remaining 1 tsp. of oil, leek and mushrooms to the pan. Cook over med-high heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender.

Sprinkle the reserved flour over the vegetables and stir to coat. Add broth, wine, coriander and salt and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer, turning the chicken occasionally, until it is cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in tarragon and add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.

This post was edited by ruthanna on Mon, May 6, 13 at 17:40

o

Those recipes all sound good.

I did use some of them last night. I was inspired by Sleevendog's combo of leeks and asparagus, but after both Jerry and I toiled all day in the yard and cleaning house, neither of us felt like dealing with the grill. (We only have charcoal right now.)
So, I got some Italian bread and some goat cheese from the store, even store bought pesto, since my basil is a baby plant right now, and some sun dried tomatoes in oil. I chose about 4 or 5 small leeks, washed them like you're supposed to, and blanched them in boiling salted water. I took them out of the water, and plunged the washed and trimmed asparagus in the water. Next I heated my giddle pan that has the grill on one side, and used that to faux grill the leeks and asparagus. While I was doing this, I split open the bread length wise (it was shaped just like a loaf of French bread.) and toasted it under the broiler for just a minute. Then I spread the pesto, the goat cheese, and placed some mozzarella cheese on top of that. I chopped up the leeks and asparagus, and spread them on the bread on top of the cheese. I placed it all back under the broiler until the cheese was melted. It was a hit.

My description sounds complicated, but it was actually rather easy to do. And yummy.

I still have more leeks, so now I have to decide which of the great recipes y'all shared to try.

Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here