Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I make the lasagna the day before?

Posted by laceyvail (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 5:52

I want to bring a big pan of lasagna to my son and daughter-in-law's next Saturday. Can I put the lasagna together but not cook it on Friday to be transported and baked on Saturday?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I make the lasagna the day before?

Yes, definitely! I have done it.

I made it and refrigerated it. Remember, if it is cold, it will take longer to cook.

Dawn

o

Absolutely! I think it tastes even better if it's made ahead of time!

Gina

o

I would bake it on Friday. I think it is better the second day.

Jim

o

Sorry, Jim, but it would taste like leftovers to me if baked the day before!

o

The biggest problem I've seen with preassembly is if you cook the noodles, they'll turn to mush. Just put them in dry. Tastes better with uncooked noodles anyway. They absorb the sauce.

o

Another who says bake it first with a cover, so the eggs in the ricotta are cooked, then add more cheese on the top and reheat.
If you do take it unbaked, start it with a cover on the dish and remove it after about half an hour. A cold dish of stuff takes a long time to heat and may get too brown on topw hile still not being nice and hot in the center.
Linda C

o

I've done it many a time. The only advice I can offer is let it get to almost room temp before cooking.

Other than that , if you use no cook noodles, which I do, then add a bit more sauce than you normally would.

o

Yes, I have done lasagne ahead many times as well. I've made it both cooked first and uncooked. I much prefer baking ahead and reheating, I think it tastes just fine.

And I am one of the few here that does not care for no cook noodles. In my experience, they turned to goo so I won't use them again.

Linda

o

I don't care for no boil noodles much either, Linda. I much prefer the regular noodles boiled for a very short time even if it is more time consuming.
After cooking, I immediately separate them onto a cookie sheet to prevent them from sticking. No rinsing.

o

Regular noodles, assembled dry, extra sauce.
I don't like the no-boil ones either.

Baked and reheated or baked fresh on Saturday. It's all good.
But then I'm not the pickiest eater in the world....

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here