SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

favorite bundt pan recipes?

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

I just got a Bundt pan and I'm excited to try it out. I literally haven't use a Bundt pan in YEARS! The last one I bought, I ruined. Whatever I was making stuck and I tried to flex it a little. Well, it wasn't that flexible... it cracked in half with the cake stuck in it. I don't remember if I threw the whole mess away or dug the cake out... I just remember standing there laughing with a piece of Bundt pan in each hand. I think I've been frightened of them until now!

I know every cake can't be made in a Bundt pan, so I'd like your favorite Bundt pan recipes. I think pound cakes are usually made in a straight sided tube pan, but I'd like to try one in the Bundt pan... maybe I'll bring it in to work this afternoon. I also haven't made a pound cake in years!

So, favorite Bundt recipes requested and appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (52)

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Donna, that one looks good! I think that's the one I'll use! I don't have a lemon (or a microplane, I use a box grater when I need zest, I know, I know)... I wonder how the recipe would be affected if I just used bottle lemon juice.

Hope I didn't just get myself excommunicated from the forum!

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Whenever I hear "bundt" I think of that movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, when the mother of the groom brought a bundt cake. The mother of the bride (the Greek side)kept calling it a "booont" cake, and had never seen anything quite so "Protestant" along side the wild display of Greek foods.

That's a funny movie. Good luck with your new booont pan, Bobby.

• Related Discussions

cake flute pan/bundt pan

Q

Comments (5)
    My oven beeps when it's supposed to be heated up but it IS NOT heated to temp when it beeps. I was having the same problem you are and I got an oven thermometer and it was absolutely nowhere near heated when it beeps...it would be like 200 degrees when it beeped set for 350! My oven takes approxamately 15 minutes to get up to proper temp, it was beeping after about 5 minutes. Do not trust the BEEP!
    ...See More

RECIPE: Rainbow Poke Cake In Bundt pan

Q

Comments (2)
    Since no one responded before I had to bake something, I decided to go with a red velvet cake in th bundt pan. It ended up being a good choice. But I think I will do a sheet cake with the jello recipe over the holidays. It is easy to do that way. Thanks for your advice.
    ...See More

Homemade cake recipe like a cake mix for a Bundt pan

Q

Comments (6)
    A little Bundt Pan history... The cast-iron kugelhupf pan is common in Europe and in 1950, a group of Minneapolis women asked Nordic Products owner H. David Dalquist to make an aluminum version of the pan. Ten years later, the new Good Housekeeping Cookbook showed a pound cake baked in one, and suddenly every woman wanted a Bundt Pan. The 1966 Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest was won with the "Tunnel of Fudge Cake". If you would like that recipe, I'll be happy to post it. In 1972 the grand prize winner in the Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest was a Bundt Streusel Spice Cake and 11 top winners also called for a bundt pan. I'll see if I have that booklet in my collection. So the Bundt cake pan is a newcomer in kitchens with more than forty million pans in existence in America. Generally, cakes that have too much sugar in them to have good structure are used in recipes using a tube or Bundt pan. Which is different from a standard cake. I located a few recipes at King Arthur (see link below). -Grainlady Here is a link that might be useful: Bundt Cake Recipes - King Arthur Flour
    ...See More

Bundt cake recipes and a question

Q

Comments (10)
    Here's some for you: FRESH BANANA BUNDT CAKE WITH GLAZE 1/2 cup shortening 1 cup sugar 3 to 4 fresh Bananas, mashed 2 eggs 1 tsp. vanilla 2 cups flour 1 tsp. soda 1/2 tsp. salt 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream Mix all the ingredients well and pour into a greased Bundt pan. Bake at 350° F. for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and cake tests done. Icing: 1 box powdered sugar 4 tsp. water 1 tsp. rum flavoring or vanilla Mix and drizzle over cake. ORANGE BUNDT CAKE 8 Tblsp. (1 stick) sweet butter, softened 3/4 cup granulated sugar 2 eggs, separated Grated zest of 2 oranges 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder 1/4 tsp. soda 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 cup fresh orange juice Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch Bundt pan. Cream the butter and gradually add the sugar, beating until light. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, and add orange zest. Sift the flour with baking powder, soda and salt. Add dry ingredients alternately with orange juice to the batter. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until sides of cake shrink away from pan's edge and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan and unmold onto a rack and drizzle with orange glaze while warm. Cool before serving. Makes 8 to 10 servings. Orange Glaze: 1/2 cup fresh orange juice 1/4 cup granulated sugar Combine orange juice and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a light syrup forms. SOUR CREAM PUMPKIN BUNDT CAKE Streusel: 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 1 tsp. ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp. ground allspice 2 tsp. butter or margarine Cake: 3 cups all-purpose flour 1 Tblsp. ground cinnamon 2 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. salt 2 cups granulated sugar 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened 4 large eggs 1 cup canned pumpkin 1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream 2 tsp. vanilla extract Glaze (recipe follows) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan. For streusel: Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and allspice in a small bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. For batter: Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Beat granulated sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add pumpkin, sour cream, and vanilla extract; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture. To assemble: Spoon half of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle streusel over batter, now allowing streusel to touch sides of pan. Top with remaining batter. Make sure batter layer touches edges of pan. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes in pan on wire rack. Invert onto wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle with Glaze. Makes 16 servings. For glaze: Combine 1-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar and 2 to 3 Tblsp. orange juice or milk in small bowl; stir until smooth. From Libbys Pumpkin Test Kitchen. This is my personal favorite: BUTTER PECAN BUNDT CAKE 1 Butter Pecan cake mix 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cup water 4 eggs 1 can ready-to-spread Coconut pecan frosting 1 Tblsp. sugar Chopped pecan pieces Spray a Bundt or tube pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle the sugar in the pan, then sprinkle chopped pecans over this. Mix the cake mix, oil water, eggs and frosting, mixing well. Pour into Bundt pan, Bake at 350º F. for 50 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; turn out cake and cool completely. **While the cake was cooling I made a little icing to drizzle on top.** 1 cup powdered sugar 2 Tblsp. milk 1/2 tsp. rum extract Mix well and drizzle from a spoon onto cake. I've made this 3 times. The fist two times by the recipe, the second one seemed to be too moist and the batter a little thin. I made one last week and only used 3/4 cup water, and 3/4 cup oil. It turned out great! I always make it by the recipe, tweaks come later.. BTW it really doesn't need an icing. It is a keeper here. hope you like it. Posted by Kayce at Nanas Kitchen.
    ...See More
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

Bobby - great thread. I just got a new bundt pan too!
    I'm going to try gardengrl's banana rum cake because I've got banana liquor and rum that needs to be used before we move. Can't wait to see more recipes!

seagrass

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maybe I should mention that this pan was a surcie from a forum member who wishes to remain anonymous. (It came this morning btw... what a nice quality pan!)

All I can say (since I can't say your name) is THANK YOU!

Seagrass... I'm glad that you'll be benefiting from this thread as well. I love that!

• kayskats
    15 years ago

I LOVE bundt cakes and have several but this is my recently found and current favorite:

Fig-Pecan-Bourbon Bundt Cake
    Makes 12 servings

Source: Gourmet January '08

1 lb dried Black Mission figs (hard tips discarded)
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup bourbon whiskey
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising; sift before measuring)
    2 tsps baking powder
    3/4 tsp baking soda
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
    1 3/4 cups pecans (7 oz)
    2 cups packed light brown sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    3 large eggs (at room temp 30 minutes)

Simmer figs in water in a heavy medium saucepan, covered, until tender and most of liquid absorbed, 35 to 40 minutes. Purèe in a food processor with bourbon and vanilla. Cool to warm temp.
    Preheat oven to 350° with rack in middle. Butter and flour bundt pan, knocking out excess flour.
    While oven preheats, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
    Lightly toast pecans in a shallow baking pan in oven, 8 to 10 minutes, then cool and coarsely chop. Leave oven on.
    Beat together brown sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer until thick and creamy, about 3 minutes. Stir in fig mixture. At low speed, mix in flour mixture until just incorporated, then fold in pecans.
    Pour batter into bundt pan and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cool cake completely in pack on a rack, then invert onto a plate.
    NOTE: Cake improves in flavor if made at least one day ahead. Can be made 5 days in advance and kept in an airtight container at room temp.

OPTIONAL ICING. Suft 1 cup confectioners sugar into a bowl and then whisk in 4 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream, 2 teaspoons bourbon and 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract until smooth. Drizzle over cake just before serving.
    ICING ALTERNATIVE: Sift confections sugar over cake just before serving.

• lackboys3
    15 years ago

Oh gosh Bobby, did I see you write the words "bottled lemon juice"????? Yikes, I don't think it will taste as good with bottled, plus you want the fresh zest for the cake too. You need a microplane for sure. It makes nice, fluffy piles of citrus zest.

I want to try Kathy's recipe too, but I didn't even know there was such a thing as banana liqueur. I love bananas and rum cake, so it's bound to be a winner. Hey Seagrass, what's the brand name of the banana liqueur?

Pam, I just loved that movie too! I think I've watched it at least 6 times on DVD, and I never get tired of it.
    DONNA

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It was indeed a good movie... maybe I should add some Windex to the cake!

How dare I mention bottled lemon juice!? Oh yeah, well, Shaun used to use pre-ground pepper before the FFFF, so there!

Now I feel better :o)

I have made lemon bars with bottled lemon juice and they turned out fine! You're not gonna make me go back out to the store are you!? :o)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

This is copied and pasted from a past thread about bundt pans.

lla Helfrich's Tunnel of Fudge cake, which won second place in the 17th annual Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1966, gave H. David Dalquist's Bundt pan national exposure and made it one of the most popular baking pans in the world. Pillsbury no longer makes one of the original ingredients and offers this revised version of the much-requested recipe.

Ingredients:

CAKE

1 3/4 cups sugar

1 3/4 cups margarine or butter, softened

6 eggs

2 cups powdered sugar

2 1/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa

2 cups chopped walnuts*

GLAZE

3/4 cup powdered sugar

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa

4 to 6 teaspoons milk

Preparation directions:

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan or 10-inch tube pan. In large bowl, combine sugar and margarine; beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar; blend well. By hand, stir in flour and remaining cake ingredients until well blended. Spoon batter into greased and floured pan; spread evenly.

Bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes or until top is set and edges are beginning to pull away from edge of pan.** Cool upright in pan on wire rack 1 1/2 hours; invert onto serving plate. Cool for at least 2 hours more.

In small bowl, combine all glaze ingredients, adding enough milk for desired drizzling consistency. Spoon over top of cake, allowing some to run down sides. Store tightly covered.

Yield:

16 servings

Tips:

*Nuts are essential for the success of this recipe.

**Since this cake has a soft filling, an ordinary doneness test cannot be used. Accurate oven temperature and baking times are essential.

High altitude: (Above 3,000 ft.)

Increase flour by 3 tablespoons. Bake as directed above.

• maureen_me
    15 years ago

This is another lemon one, for when blueberries are at their best. It's a Martha Stewart recipe, and the sour cream makes it moist enough not to need a glaze. I've made it several times, and it's very delicious. (I won't tell Martha you're prone to using bottled lemon juice. We don't want her hunting you down and risking another prison term for doing you grievous bodily harm. You know how she is.)

Blueberry-Lemon Bundt Cake
    Serves 12; Prep time: 20 minutes; Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes

For best results, coat the inside of the Bundt pan with cooking spray just before filling it with the batter to prevent it from pooling in the bottom.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 teaspoon for blueberries and zest
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 cup packed light-brown sugar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    4 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup sour cream
    2 cups blueberries
    2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
    Nonstick cooking spray, for pan
    Confectioners sugar, for dusting (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, whisk 2 1/2 cups flour with baking powder and salt; set aside.

1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars on high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of sour cream.
    2. In a bowl, toss blueberries and zest with remaining teaspoon flour; gently fold into batter. Coat a 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan with cooking spray. Spread batter in prepared pan.
    3. Bake cake on bottom rack of oven until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Invert onto a rack; cool completely, top side up. Dust with confectioners sugar before serving, if desired.
      Note: Tossing the zest and the berries with some flour will help keep the fruit suspended in the batter while it cooks.
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

Donna,

The banana liquor is BOLS and the bottle says "Amsterdam". I bought it in Holland. I used to buy banana liquor in the States but can't remember if it was the same brand. I remember it wasn't easy to find but it goes a long way!

My girlfriend and I used to love banana liquor, coconut rum and pinapple juice drinks in the summer. My Dutch landlady had never tried them. We went on a boat trip with our landlords last summer, and these are unopened bottles. Ice was impossible to find so we gave up on the idea.

I'm more a bourbon drinker, myself - so now I'm saying hmmmmm, maybe I'll make kayskats cake, too!

Can you have your bourbon cake and drink it too??

segrass

• shaun
    15 years ago

ACK!!!!!!! I sure did! hahahah!!! But not anymore! I love my new peppermill, thanks again Sherry!

Now Bobby, take yourself to the store and buy a real lemon! (then send me a piece of that cake!)

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

Family favorite for weekends:

Good Morning Kisses Coffee Cake

2 cans biscuits, 10-count
    1 bag chocolate Hersheys Kisses®
    melted butter
    cinnamon sugar mixture (3 parts sugar to 1 part cinnamon)

Split biscuits in half. Unwrap 40 Kisses. Wrap each Kiss with a biscuit half and roll into a ball. Dip each ball into melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar. Drop balls into Bundt® pan and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes.

• gardengrl
    15 years ago

Donna, I can't remember the brand I use, but it was cheap & I got it at Alberson's.

Here's another recipe Bobby, and it uses...gasp...boxed cake mix! It's very good & I got it from somone here on the forum, but I can't remember the name.

If you like rich cakes and coffee I guarantee your family and friends will rave about this one.

Coffee Chocolate Bundt Cake

choc cake mix (I like the dark choc best)
    small pkg choc instant pudding
    4 eggs
    1/2 c oil
    1/2 c warm strong coffee
    1 c sour cream
    1 to 1 1/2 c choc chips

Mix all ingredients well and bake @ 350 in bundt pan for about 50-55 min. Be sure to grease and flour pan well. Cool cake and remove from pan.

Frosting
    3/4 c whipping cream
    1/4 c whole coffee beans.
    1 c choclate chips

Heat cream & beans on the stove till simmering. Remove from heat, cover and let steep. I usually let the cream and beans steep perhaps 25 minutes. The cream will look a light tan color; remove beans and add 1 cup choc chips. Blend well and pour over cooled cake. ENJOY

• lackboys3
    15 years ago

Thanks Seagrass and Kathy for telling me about the banana liqueur. I'm going to look for it at the local ABC Wine & Liquor store. Seagrass, the drink with the coconut rum and pineapple juice sounds addicting! Kathy, the other cake you posted sounds delicious and easy with a boxed cake mix. I love the combo of chocolate with coffee.

Now Bobby, do what Shaun said and go get a lemon! For goodness sake, my 7-11 down the street sells lemons:-) Hurry, before the police see you carrying that bottle of reconstituted lemon juice......!
    DONNA

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well... I didn't get a lemon and made the cake anyway using Donna's recipe. You are all right... it didn't have much flavor. That of course didn't stop the piranhas at work from devouring it before I even got the cover off the cake carrier! Can't wait to make it right. All in good time.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Another great one:

Chocolate Orange Cake:

1 C sugar
    1/2 C butter (1 stick)
    1/4 C orange liqueur
    1/4 C water
    Combine these 4 ingredients in saucepan. Stir over low heat until butter melts & sugar dissolves, about 3 min. Increase heat & boil 2 min. Cool completely for this is the mixture that you pour over the hot cake.

1 18.25 oz. pakg devil's food cake mix
    8 oz sour cream
    1 4 oz pkg instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup veg oil
    1/2 c water
    1/4 c coffee liqueur
    2 T grated orange peel
    1 t cinnamon
    1 12 oz pkg chocolate chips
    Preheat oven to 350. Grease & flour 10 cu bundt pan. beat cake mix & next 8 ingredients until well blended, about 3 min. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour. Immediately spoon sugar mixture over cake in the pan. Let stand 30 minutes. Turn cake out onto platter and cool completely. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar.

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

I've been making this recipe for almost 30 years...

CHOCOLATE CHIP APPLE CAKE

Serving Size: 16

2 sticks butter -- softened
    2 cups sugar
    3 eggs
    ½ cup water
    1 Tablespoon vanilla
    2 ½ cups flour
    2 Tablespoons cocoa -- sifted
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    2 cups apples, peeled -- cored and chopped
    6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar. Beat in the eggs, then the water and vanilla.

In another bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and spices. Beat into the creamed mixture and then stir in the apples and chocolate chips. This is a thick batter.

Turn the batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan.

Bake the cake in a 325° oven for 1-¼ hours or until it tests done with a toothpick.

Transfer to a rack to cool.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

I'll be saving this thread for sure!

Bobby this is another great Pound Cake recipe and has been a favorite in my group for years. I use cake flour if I have it but all purpose is just fine too. I quit sifting several years ago after reading that many of our friends here don't do it anymore.

Janelle McComb,who was Elvis's friend from the time he was a boy in Tupelo Mississippi used to bake two loaves of this cake every Christmas and bring them to Graceland. On a good day, Elvis could eat one all by himself. He shared the other with his entourage.

ELVIS PRESLEY'S FAVORITE POUND CAKE

3 cups sugar
    1/2 pound of butter softened
    7 eggs room temperature
    3 cups cake flour, sifted twice
    1 cup heavy cream (not whipped)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Thoroughly butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Cream together the sugar and butter. Add eggs one at a time, beating extemely well after each addition. Mix 1/2 half of the flour, then the whipping cream, then the other half of the flour. Beat 5 full minutes. Add vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan. Set in cold oven and turn temp to 350 degrees. Bake 1 hour to 90 minutes, until a sharp knife inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan 5 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool thoroughly. Wrapped well in foil, this cake keeps several days.

David

• julier1234
    15 years ago

Gardengrl - OMG - this almost did not make it into the oven because the batter is to die for!! We won't get to eat it until tomorrow (I think rum cakes are better the next day or later anyways) for a mother's day dinner. Thanks for posting this!

I'm going to try all of these - they all look incredible.

Come to think of it, I have a question for gardengrl - I know you said you could substitute other flavors, but if I were to make just a plain rum cake flavored cake, would I use 3/4 of the dark rum instead of the 1/2 cup rum and 1/4 cup banana? What do you suggest?

• kayskats
    15 years ago

...not from garden girl, but since I've made that cake several times and the answer is yes ... just increase the rum in cake AND sauce by the amounts specified for the banana liquer.

I've also made this cake with vanilla liqueur -- to die, for.

• julier1234
    15 years ago

Thanks kayskats - what a great recipe!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

Bobby - I know I thanked you earlier for starting this thread but now I think you should just stop it. All of these cakes sound WONDERFUL. They're going right to my hips and it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!!

seagrass

• kayefrascona
    15 years ago

Gardengrl, I made your banana rum cake last night and put it in the fridge overnight to serve this morning at a late morning meeting my husband had here. Everyone loved it and it is dead to rights the best banana cake I have ever made.

Thanks so much.

• julier1234
    15 years ago

Lackboys - although I made the banana rum cake recipe last night for our dinner tonight, this morning I decided to also make serve your lemon cake (just in case someone doesn't like rum. It's baking now. I'll report back afterwards.

These all look so good - I really am going to make them all.

kayskats - I am definitely doing the vanilla option next time.

• scott55405
    15 years ago

Bobbylish, what ever kind of cake you make, go first to the store if you don't have it already and buy some Pam for Baking, and use that to coat the pan. I had the sticking problem the "old fashioned way" too, but never with Pam. Let me go see if I can find my Banana Butterscotch Cake recipe, that everyone loves and for which I won a $50 gift card in a bake off at work.

• julier1234
    15 years ago

The banana rum cake was sooooo good! The lemon cake was too except I did change one thing. Inspired by the rum cake recipe, I decided to poke holes in that one and pour a lemon syrup - it was perfect. Thanks!

• kayskats
    15 years ago

regarding the Rum Cake ....

since, rum and coca cola is a long-time favorte drink, how do you think it'd be to substitute Coke for the liqueur?
    Would it be okay to just open a bottle and let it go flat? Or would I need to find a source for the syrup concentrate?

• lackboys3
    15 years ago

Julier, please tell me what you used to make the lemon syrup for the pound cake, it sounds delicious! Was it just lemon juice and confectioners sugar? I have Limoncello liqueur, I wonder if that would be good?
    DONNA

• julier1234
    15 years ago

Donna - 1/2 cup regular granulated sugar plus 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice. Put together in sauce pan, bring to a boil, then simmer stirring for a couple of minutes until it starts thickening. I was thinking I could've also done the glaze that you have on top also for more wow (but it didn't occur to me at the time). I dusted with confectioner's.

• Tracey_OH
    15 years ago

Here's a good one. It's actually a grand prize winner from a good friend of my MIL. She won a national contest held by Whirlpool a few years ago.

Here is Mrs. Kisch's winning recipe for the chocolate coffee toffee cake:

Ingredients:

1 18-oz Devil's Food Cake Mix

1 5.25-oz package instant Butterscotch Pudding Mix
    3 eggs

1-2/3 cups of brewed coffee

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 8-oz package Milk Chocolate Toffee bits (divided in two parts, 3/4 cup each)
    1 c pecan pieces

In a large mixing bowl add the cake mix, butterscotch pudding, eggs, coffee and vegetable oil and mix on medium speed of electric mixer for 3 minutes. Spray the inside of a 9.5-inch fluted bundt cake pan with non-stick cooking spray. Put the pecans in the bottom of the pan, and then pour the cake batter over top. Sprinkle half of the chocolate toffee bits on top of the batter. Bake in 325 (F) degree oven for 45-55 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool for 10-15 minutes then invert onto a cake plate. There will be a ring of pecans on the top.

Frosting:

1/4 cup of butter

1-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar

1/4 cup water

2 cups of powdered sugar

While the cake is baking, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, then add the brown sugar and water and stir until the sugar is dissolved, for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and beat in 2 cups powdered sugar. When the cake is still a little warm drizzle the warm frosting over the pecans then sprinkle the remaining toffee pieces on the top of the frosting then drizzle more frosting down the sides

• scott55405
    15 years ago

Butterscotch Banana Cake

1 11 oz package butterscotch morsels
    1 package Yellow Cake Mix (I think I usually use Pillsbury)
    4 large eggs
    3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 375. Spray down your Bundt or tube pan with Pam for Baking (original recipe suggests preparing the pan the old fashioned way; that didn't go well when I made it the first time, 'nuff said!)

Microwave 1 1/3 cups morsels uncovered in medium bowl at 70% power for 1 minute, stir. If necessary microwave at additional 10 to 15 second intervals, stirring just until melted.

Combine cake mix, eggs, bananas, vegetable oil, water and granulated sugar in large mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until moistened. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.

Stir 2 cups of the batter into the melted morsels. Alternately spoon batters into baking pan.

Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 20 minutes; invert onto wire rack to cool complelely.

Place remaining morsels in small, heavy duty plastic bag. Microwave at 70% for 30 seconds, knead. Microwave at additional 10 to 15 second intervals, kneading until smooth. Cut tiny corner from bag; squeeze to drizzle over cake.

• gardengrl
    15 years ago

Sorry I haven't checked in earlier...busy, busy weekend. I'm so glad everyone liked the Banana Rum cake. It is definitely a keeper and yes, just as Kayskats said, you can go with all rum too!

It's a very versatile recipe and you can adapt it to any flavor you want, really. Just think of the possibilities!

Kathy

• stacy3
    15 years ago

i'll add more. This one from Tricia

CHOCOLATE Glazed POUND CAKE -triciae
    1 1/2 Cups Butter, room temperature
    3 Cups Sugar
    2 Teaspoons Vanila Extract
    5 Eggs, room temperature
    2 Cups AP Flour, sifted
    1 Cup Cocoa
    2 Tablespoons Instant Coffee Powder (optional)
    1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    1 Cup Buttermilk
    1/4 Cup Water
    FROSTING:
    3 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
    4-1 Ounce Squares Semisweet Chocolate
    3 Tablespoons Evaporated Milk
    1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
    Pinch of Salt
    2/3-1 Cup Confectioners' Sugar
    Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
    Grease and flour a Bundt or tube pan; set aside.
    In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter until light, fluffy, and it's lightened in color. Gradually add the sugar and beat for 5 minutes.
    Add the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg addition.
    In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, coffee powder (if using), baking powder, and salt. Add to the creamed mixture, alternating with the buttermilk and water, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, blend very well.
    Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake in the upper third of the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
    Remove from the oven, place pan on a rack, and immediately cover with foil and a heavy terry cloth towel (bath towel works great). I fold a bath towel in two in order to slow the cooling process even more. Let stand for 20 minutes. Unmold. Recover with the foil and towel tucking the towel snugly around the cake. Finish cooling. This will take between 4-6 hours for the cake to cool completely.
    When completely cool, frost.
    FROSTING: In the top of a double boiler over medium-high heat, melt the butter with the chocolate and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and whisk in the milk, vanilla, and salt. Stir in 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, adding up to 1/3 cup more if the consistency is too thing. Either spread or drizzle over the cooled cake.
    I was taught this method of cooling cakes by an elderly PA Dutch (German) woman many years ago. It works every time in producing a wonderfully moist cake. I know it goes against the grain of what some of you may believe...but, please give it a try. For this pound cake, the cooling method makes the difference between good and great, IMO.

This I have made and it's delicious!

Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake

From The Stonewall Kitchen Cookbook (Canada, UK), by Jonathan King & Jim Stott.
    You can always tell when we're baking this Bundt cake in our stores the air fills with the perfume of blueberries and customers linger, waiting for a taste. Our Wild Maine Blueberry jam creates a ribbon of blueberry filling in the middle of the cake. Although we serve it for dessert, it is also great for breakfast or brunch or a midafternoon snack. Sometimes we add a splash of rum to the melted jam that is drizzled over the top of the cake.
    Ingredients:
    2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for the pan
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus additional for the pan
    1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
    2 large eggs, at room temperature
    1 cup sour cream
    3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Wild Maine Blueberry Jam or blueberry preserves
    2 tablespoons gold rum, optional
    1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
    Instructions:
    Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
    Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
    Using an electric mixer on high, beat the butter in a large mixing bowl until soft and creamy. Add the sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, making sure the first egg is well incorporated before adding the second. Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat until the mixture is smooth. Turn the mixer to low, add the flour mixture, and beat just until incorporated.
    Transfer 1/2 cup of the batter to a small mixing bowl and set aside. Pour the remaining batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Make a 1-inch trough in the center of the batter all the way around the pan. Add 3/4 cup of the blueberry jam into the reserved batter and beat with the electric mixer until thoroughly combined. Spoon the blueberry batter evenly into the trough.
    Bake for 1 hour, or until the cake begins to pull away from the edges of the pan and a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert the cake onto a wire rack. Cool the cake completely on the rack.
    Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon blueberry jam in a small pan over low heat. (Alternatively, melt the jam in a small bowl in the microwave on medium for 15 seconds.) Stir the rum (if using) into the melted jam. Sift the confectioners, sugar over the cake and drizzle with the melted jam. Serve immediately, or store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. The cake can also be frozen for up to 1 month. Defrost at room temperature before serving.
    Yield: Makes one 10-inch Bundt cake

• jessyf
    15 years ago

I'm drooling.

For those trying to cut calories, Trader Joes and other markets now sell non-fat plain Greek yogurt to sub out for sour cream. You can't tell the difference!

Bobby, you hang on to that bottled lemon juice. You will need it when you start canning for certain recipes!

Donna you are nominated to sub the Limoncello. I need an excuse to buy some.

• alison
    15 years ago

Dang, stacy -- you hit it!

I'm making that Blueberry Sour Cream cake tonight, and subbing one of the four jars of home made blackberry jam I have left.

Salivating already....

• casi
    15 years ago

What great recipes! I have to share my new discovery. I got the recipe from Allrecipes.com. I made it when my Mother-in-law visited so I was afraid to put the Vodka in, so I substituted leftover coffee for the vodka. I too am crazy about chocolate and coffee. This cake is very moist and so yummy.
    The Tunnel of Fudge recipe is one of my all time favorites and I used to make it with the Pillsbury Double Dutch Frosting Mix that the original recipe called for. I don't know if you can still get the Jiffy frosting mix but I finally resorted to making it with that. I'll have to give the new version a try. I used to put it in the freezer so I wouldn't eat it but soon found myself eating it frozen!!!!

Chocolate Mocha Liqueur Cake I

PREP TIME 10 Min
    COOK TIME 50 Min
    READY IN 1 Hr
    Original recipe yield: 1 - 10 inch Bundt pan

INGREDIENTS
    1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
    1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
    1 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup water
    3 eggs
    1/4 cup coffee flavored liqueur
    1/4 cup vodka
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1/4 cup hot water
    2 tablespoons coffee flavored liqueur
    2 tablespoons vodka

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
    In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, oil, 3/4 cup water, eggs, 1/4 cup
    coffee liqueur and 1/4 cup Vodka. Mix well, then pour into greased and floured Bundt pan.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the
    center of the cake comes out clean. Pour glaze over hot cake while still in pan. Let cake sit
    for 30 minutes.
    To make the glaze: in a small saucepan combine sugar, butter and 1/4 cup hot water.
    Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur
    and 2 tablespoons vodka.

• kayskats
    15 years ago

I have eaten Downey's cake, purchased at the source in Philly ... I haven't made this one but if it's anything like the real thing, it's heavenly. Anyone from Philly have a comment about this recipe? Or does anyone have a "from scratch" recipe?

Irish Whiskey Cake
    The Washington Post, April 30, 2008

This has significant (uncooked!) alcohol content and is not appropriate for non-drinkers.
    16 to 20 servings
    For the cake
    1 18.5-ounce package yellow cake mix
    8 ounces vanilla pudding mix
    1/2 cup whole or low-fat milk
    1/2 cup corn oil
    1 cup Irish whiskey
    4 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1 cup (4 1/2 ounces) coarsely chopped black walnuts
    For the glaze
    4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup Irish whiskey
    1 tablespoon water
    Directions:

For the cake: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a 10-inch tube pan, preferably nonstick, or bundt pan with nonstick cooking oil spray.

Combine the cake and pudding mixes in a small bowl.

Combine the milk, oil and whiskey in the bowl of a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer; beat on low speed until mixed well. Add the dry ingredients and beat until smooth, then add the beaten eggs in several additions until well combined. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes until slightly thickend. Turn off the motor and add the walnuts, stirring by hand. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 75 to 90 minutes, being careful not to let it get too brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool in the pan.

For the glaze: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugar, whiskey and water, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Pour one-third of the glaze over the hot cake in the pan. Let cool on the wire rack for 1 hour, then remove from the pan and invert so the cake is upside down on a plate; pour one-third of the glaze over the cooled cake, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 days. The next day, unwrap the cake, invert onto a second plate and pour half of the remaining glaze over the cake; recover tightly with plastic wrap; this process allows the glaze to flavor the cake evenly. On the next day, repeat the process, using the remaining glaze.

Recipe Source:
    Based on a recipe from Downey's restaurant in Philadelphia.

• natesgramma
    15 years ago

Here's a good one of my mom's. My MIL makes another great one I'll try to find. All of the above sound so yummy, I can't wait to try them out.

CINNAMON BUNDT CAKE:
    1 Box yellow cake mix
    1 regular (serves 4 ) Instant vanilla pudding
    3/4 cup crisco oil
    3/4 cup water
    4 eggs
    3 Tbs. butter cut into medium pieces
    1 Tbs. vanilla
    1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans) - this is for bottom of pan

In your mixer or with beaters mix well for 6 minutes on medium to high speed (all above except the nuts)

Grease bundt pan (I use Pam )
    Sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped nuts in bottom of pan
    Pour one layer of batter over nuts, sprinkle some of filler mix on top (see below)
    Add another layer of batter and then filler and repeat as often as possible ending with batter. ( I can get 3-4 layers)
    Take a dinner knife and cut through batter from the bottom of the pan and bring up to the top. This is what gives the swirls in the cake when you cut it.

FILLER MIX:
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. cinnamon
    1/2 cup chopped nuts

Bake 350* for 50-60 minutes. Check with a toothpick to come out clean. Let sit 10 minutes before removing. Remove from pan to dinner plate and Drizzle GLAZE over top. I let cake cool some but can add when still warm if you need to.

GLAZE:
    On stove melt all of the below and use your whisk to get out as much of the powdered sugar lumps.
    4 Tbsp butter
    3 Tbsp milk
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 Tbsp. vanilla

• julier1234
    15 years ago

kayskats - that sounds so good, but I would also love to have one that's from scratch. I wonder if we could use the rum cake as a guide and go from there? We used to get the most wonderful rum cakes from the Coach House Tavern in Virginia (we sent them to clients for Christmas - they were that good). Sadly, the place closed and the owner passed away. I used to order cakes from her every year for clients. I have never found a rum cake as good as hers since.

• kayskats
    15 years ago

re the Downey's recipe ....
    the cake mix is no problem ... any 2-layer recipe would work...
    but I'm wondering about the pudding mix..is it for flavoring or does it contribute to the moistness ... there really isn't much milk in that recipe....
    Oh, well ... there are so many great recipes on this thread, I'll be eating cake day and night. Fortunately the doctor wants me to gain some weight and I need some calories, but this might be tooooo much.
    kay

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Downey's Pub in Philadelphia is a big tourist trap with awful food and service. Philadelphia is filled with wonderful restaurants, so don't waste your time or money there.

I don't know anything about their bundt cakes. I never like the artificial flavor in cake mixes or the texture,so I'd prefer one made from scratch.

• kayskats
    15 years ago

haven't EATen at Downeys in 25 years... thanks for the warning. I still like the cake and buy it occasionally around the holidays.

• kayskats
    15 years ago

if I ever get back to Philly, should I bother with Bookbinders?

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

Bobby --

Just saw this thread -- This is THE BEST apple cake recipe... What makes this recipe so special is that the cinnamon isn't mixed into the batter, but instead coats the apples. The batter has some orange zest in it... So when you eat the cake you get this great cake and then these little bursts of apple and cinnamon throughout... It is just divine. Note that this makes a BIG cake -- requires a large (12 cup) bundt pan, not one of the smaller (8 cup) ones.

Apple Bundt Cake
    Bon Appetite, Dec 1999

4 medium Golden Delicious apples (about 1 1/2pounds), peeled, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
    5 tablespoons plus 2 1/2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    4 large eggs
    1 cup vegetable oil (Emily replaces with 1/2 cup oil / 1/2 cup applesauce)
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1 tablespoon grated orange peel
    3 cups all purpose flour
    3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Powdered sugar
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Mix apple pieces, 5 tablespoons sugar and ground cinnamon in medium bowl. Combine 2 1/2 cups sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, orange juice, orange peel and vanilla extract in large bowl; whisk to blend. Stir flour, baking powder and salt into egg mixture. Spoon 1 1/2 cups batter into prepared Bundt pan. Top with half of apple mixture. Cover with 1 1/2 cups batter. Top with remaining apples, then batter.

Bake cake until top is brown and tester inserted near center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 15 minutes. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen. Turn cake out onto rack. Cool at least 45 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

WOW, these are some great recipes! I'm certainly going to try them. I have Banana Rum that I brought back from a cruise, it's been sitting in the cabinet waiting for the right recipe.

• compumom
    15 years ago

I think I'd skip Bookbinders per Pam and the Chowhound gang. Also skip the old Tavern restaurant-- I don't recall the exact name, but we ate lunch there and it was sorely lacking and a real tourist joint!

• gwtamara
    15 years ago

Hi folks,

Well, you've officially made us hungry. Our producers have professed their love of all things Bundt and want to share their addiction with the world. Well, sort of. LOL. This is a great thread and what would make it even better would be...pictures! If anyone has photos of their finished cakes or would like an excuse to take a picture (hint, hint), we would love to feature them in a slideshow.

Thanks!

Tamara
    GW Community Manager

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Tamara,

Here is an Apricot Nectar cake made in a bundt pan:

{{gwi:1519523}}

Bobby, here is a link to the recipe, a really good, easy cake - maybe the only one I ever make that uses a mix.

Teresa

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Kayskats -- sorry I haven't been keeping with this thread. Yes definitely skip Bookbinders and Downeys. Hot restaurants now are Osteria, Amada, Ansill -- the list is too long to mention here. Philadelphia has lots of great restaurants.

Oh, Bobby -- look what you have started. Now we'll have to make a Windex Booont Cake, and post a picture of it.

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Well, Tamara and GW producers - since it was 2 years since my photo of this - back when I had no clue how to take a decent photo - I made this again today - just for you!

Here is the Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake. :-)

{{gwi:1519524}}

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022