Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to remove stain in pan from cooking beans

Posted by lazycook (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 11 at 1:51

I soaked beans overnight in my stainless steel/aluminum pan and then cooked it for hours in that pan. Now the bottom of the pan is covered with bean marks and I am not able to scrub it off. Tried soaking with soda and still doesn't come off. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to remove stain in pan from cooking beans

Mine too. I don't worry about it.

o

Why can't you scrub it off? I use Bar Tenders Friend on my stainless. It won't scratch and you don't have to scrub hard.

o

Bar Keepers Friend works. Sold in grocery stores. It's a powder like Comet.

o

Agree, BKF is a chelating agent that will easily remove that stain.

Dan
Semper Fi-cus

o

BKF and a Mr Clean Magic sponge. But I also say...why worry? It's not "something" on the pan just discolored metal.
Linda C

o

I use a scotch pad.

: )
lyra

o

Bar Keeper Friend or a similar stainless steel cleaner - Cameo.

-Grainlady

o

I sprinkle a little cream of tartar in the wet bottom of the pan then scrub with a damp paper towel. Will remove all kinds of stains quickly in anything without scratching.

o

1. Bar Keepers Friend

~or~

2. Wash the pot, dry it and use it for spaghetti sauce or some other tomato-based recipe. The acidity will dissolve the stain, which is mostly minerals from the beans. You'll get back a little nutrition and won't need to scour. :)

o

Thanks, I have BKF so will try that. I guess it bugs me not having a smooth shiny surface. Today I bought a pot with non-stick interior so won't have to deal with that anymore.

o

Another BKF fanboy here! Love the stuff, it's nothing like Comet because it actually works! HA! I am 48 years old and I just tried it for the first time a few months ago...BKF where have you been all my life! It was just invented in, I believe, the 1800's...HEEHEE!

o

Lazycook:
I use Easy Off - Fume Free, Oven Cleaner for cleaning many items.

Have not used it on Alluminum yet.
I think it is safe but there is a Toll Free number on the can, for Questions ( 1-800-228-4722 )
LOU

o

Dawn Power Dissolver is another "MUST HAVE" cleaner for use in the kitchen too.

Dan
Sempr Fi-cus

o

I cook beans a lot and BKF always quickly cleans the stain off. It's the best stuff to clean up almost anything in the kitchen, and no fumes! Leave it to CFers to pretty much know what's good for kitchen chores. A can lasts such a long time for me. It doesn't take much. Use the stainless steel, it doesn't release chemicals we don't know that much about, at least I don't and still don't trust what I know.

o

My ex used BTF on his motorcycle to shine up crome! Good stuff! I also use it to clean spills on a glass top stove.

o

I even use it to clean my porcelain sink. It works much better than Bon Ami. But I've also used BKF for my stainless, as others have, and it shines them right up. I don't like the smell of it, but that doesn't last.

Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here