SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Memorial Day lunch - pizza with chopsticks

Lars
10 years ago

We just got back from Tucson late yesterday and decided to have a day of rest today. Also, since we only had on restaurant meal in Tucson the four days we were there, we decided to go out for lunch, after buying some hiking supplies at Adventure 16 that we realized we needed on our hiking excursions in AZ.

Adventure 16 is very close to Sawtelle, and so we went up Sawtelle to find a Japanese restaurant for lunch and ended up at Gottsui, a fairly new (opened 2011) restaurant in a strip mall just off Olympic Blvd. They advertised as having Japanese pizza (Okonomiyaki), and so I ordered the one with spicy Kobe beef. We also had chicken gyoza for appetizer, and Kevin had Yakisoba with mushrooms, which is also a very familiar dish. Neither of our dishes is on their old web site, but similar ones are. Everything was served on searing hot cast iron (including the gyoza), and they had little stainless steel pizza paddles to cut and serve portions, which we ate with chopsticks.

I could not discern a crust on my pizza, other than perhaps a sheet of phyllo dough, and on top of that was a layer of shredded cabbage that barely even tasted like cabbage at first, but it was very good. The top of my pizza was covered with a layer of bonito flakes, which Kevin eyed enviously, but his dish was good also, although he finished it before I could taste it. My pizza also had what tasted like Japanese curry sauce on it, as well as beef, garlic, and I'm not sure what else. I liked the way the food stayed hot on the cast iron serving dishes.

The food was melt-in-your-mouth delicious, and I will want to go back soon and am very happy we found it, although we came upon it serendipitously. Afterwards, we went across the street to a Japanese grocery and bought sushi and sashimi for dinner, so that we did not cook at all for Memorial Day!

Anyone else break tradition and not cook today?

Lars

Comments (6)