SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Blues On My Mind

John Liu
10 years ago

I ought to hate you for these blues in my mind
What makes me love you, am I losing my mind?
I wonder where I'm gonna wind up
I just can't make my crazy mind up
~ Roy Orbison, "Blues In My Mind"

http://youtu.be/wtSPa20Sft4

I have blues on my mind, although there's no-one to hate about it.

A couple weeks ago, I started buying blue potatoes aka "purple" potatoes) and roasting, french frying, and mashing them. I like the otherworldly color. If various unimpeachable Internet sources are to be believed, the antioxidants and Kryptonite in blue and purple foods also cures any and all ills. The kids think they are yummy.

Now I'm interested in coming up with a dinner of blue and purple foods.

Some searching turned up these foods that are naturally blue, purple, or blackish-purple. Blue potatoes, blueberries, blackberries, purple grapes, purple figs, eggplant, aubergine, blue (purple) carrots, blue cheese, black sweet rice.

I hear a fancy grocery near me sells blue corn tortillas. Someone in Portland sells blue corn masa in case we want to make our own blue tortillas.

It is also apparently possible to turn some red foods blue by adding baking powder, an alkaline that lowers the pH (Cooks Illustrated, Apr 2012 - they did this with red cabbage.)

There are blue cocktails made with blue curaçao.

I'm not sure about blue protein. Blue crab and blue lobster aren't blue when cooked, and are hard to get anyway. So-called "blue meat" is just a term meaning severely undercooked meat. But it seems to me some other fishes have dark purplish skin or at least a pattern containing the color - mackerel come to mind. Some fish have very dark flesh, such as, natch, bluefish (which can be mail ordered, if need be). Of course blue potatoes or blue corn tortillas could be used to crust or wrap un-blue protein.

How about it? Can we come up with a passable dinner menu that is blue - or blue, purple, and black? That tastes good and looks good? Without resorting to food dye?

I'm serious. If we come up with the dinner, I'd like to try making it.

Comments (41)

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

I purchase Organic Purple Corn from Nuts.com, and depending on how I mill it, I can make cornbread, cornmeal cookies, cornmeal waffles/pancakes..... anything I make using yellow dent corn. Purple corn is nutritionally superior to yellow or white corn. I even found a video of a guy making a cinnamon roll recipe using purple corn flour on-line. There is also a fermented drink - Chicha - you can make using purple corn, but I haven't tried it.

You could also use the Organic Purple Corn to make fresh masa and then they could be made into tamales for a "blue" meat entree.

Good luck with your food challenge.

-Grainlady

• Linderhof1208
    10 years ago

I think that sounds so clever! However, as to the entree, I would use a food that has blue in the name rather than something blue unless you want to do a Mexican type entree with the blue cornmeal/blue tortilla chips. I think it would be okay for your theme! They are named blue for a reason even if their flesh isn't blue!!!

I've done tomato teas and they're fun but never thought about doing anything blue!

Let us know what you decide and when you do it, pics please!

Martha

• Related Discussions

Blue State of Mind ...photos inside

Q

Comments (39)
    Debra, you've really got the blues don't you. Those are some gorgeous daylilies. I've got Precious Candy but not seen it bloom yet, after seeing yours it looks like something to really look forward to. Here is one of my blues..Destined To See..It's two years old in my garden and the first year I was not impressed with it, but this year I was shocked at how really blue it was. I tried very had to capture the true blue of the eye with some of the other flowers in the garden that have a lot of blue in them and that would be recognizable. I looked forward to every bloom to see if it would be that blue and they were. DESTINED TO SEE WENDY
    ...See More

Photos needed for the National Convention

Q

Comments (35)
    Teresa, Thanks for catching that. No! it is bone dry. I've been out since 8 cleaning out gardens and when I got tired mid-afternoon I did that look-up to justify sitting my 60-year-old bones down for a good rest. My gosh, what a luxury to have a) a spring weekday off and b) beautiful gorgeous perfect weather to work in the yard and c) promise of rain tomorrow. ;-) --MH
    ...See More

Evolvulus Blue my mind

Q

Comments (4)
    You will love this plant! I have grown them in full sun, but my daughter has been just as successful with hers and they get dappled shade from a small nearby tree. Molly
    ...See More

Need help with Blue for Master Bedroom

Q

Comments (29)
    We just finished remodeling (almost) our new house. I painted the master BR Farrow and Ball's Black Blue color matched at Sherwin Williams. I love it. It is so deep and dark tfat it generally throughs people off when they come in, but I loved when the first sample went up and love it more each day. I also painted DS1's bedroom F & B's Railings color matched by Sherwin Williams. This is not the color I anticipated it being, but I still really like the color. It too is a very deep blue. At least, the SW match is. I was expecting more of a charcoal/black from images on the computer. The railings is also the only F&B color that I didn't have a sample of, so I am not even certain it was matched correctly. However, I ended up liking the color so didn't worry with investigating it further. Also, all of the other colors that I had their samples for were matched correctly by SW. I will try to take pictures this evening when I get home.
    ...See More
  • cloudy_christine
    10 years ago

Red cabbage will be purply-blue when cooked unless an acid is cooked with it. You don't have to add an alkali.

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

It turns turquoise - and you need the teeniest amount or it turns to such a bright turquoise you wouldn't want to eat and tastes bad to boot. I think I used soda not powder when I did it.

• ruthanna_gw
    10 years ago

The first protein that comes to mind is bluefish or blues as they're nicknamed. They're rather fatty and mostly "dark meat" so need a lot of citrus and spice to make them palatable. You could check if they're available in your area.

• chas045
    10 years ago

There are purple pod beans. I suppose you could serve them raw with a dip. I used to eat them directly in the garden. Unfortunately they turn a pale green when cooked. I have never considered adding acid or base to see if they might maintain original color.

• BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5
    10 years ago

You can garnish with edible flowers, for example blue pansies and purple hostas.

There are blue tomatoes (Indigo Rose) and purple tomatoes (Black Cherry, Black Krim, etc)

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Cool! I use to organize theme potlucks for my office. We did a very successful "Green Grub" potluck.

How about purple cauliflower? They are plentiful at my veggie market now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Cauliflower

• suzyqtexas
    10 years ago

Black beans can be dark bluish in color...a protein

• Lars
    10 years ago

For blue food, I use flowers, such as cornflowers or pansies, but the bluest edible flower is

, which is a very intense blue and can be used to

Lars

• John Liu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have not yet found blue tomatoes locally or mail order, but I've found blue tomato seeds. Ditto the purple pod beans.

Purple cauliflower would be fun - in a gratin with purple potato and blue cheese, maybe? I've not seen them locally, but probably could find some.

Black beans would work well with the blue corn masa.

Keep the ideas coming! This is sounding quite do-able.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What else should we do? Everyone wears some blue? Blues music in the background? Blue flame candles?

• triciae
    10 years ago

Don't forget dessert. Here's what you need...

Blue Moon Ice Cream!

http://www.wisconsinmade.com/gift-ideas/Blue-Moon-Ice-Cream-Sampler-2159.aspx

And don't forget about blue lobsters. :)

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Lobster

• arley_gw
    10 years ago

John, let George Carlin explain to you why you're having problems finding blue food.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carlin -- where's the blue food?

• John Liu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I dunno, my widdle ears may be too delicate to click on a George Carlin link . . .

• nancyofnc
    10 years ago

I made "Ugly Blueberry Scones" - just mixed in some whirred blueberries in a regular scone recipe and put it in a pie plate, sprinkled some whole blueberries on top, baked and drizzled with powdered sugar/milk icing while still warm. They are truly purple - tasty but "ugly". Purple and blue foods are not generally accepted as being visually appetizing while red, pink, white, green, and brown are.

How about some edible flowers for garnish? rosemary, borage (you must grow some from seed - they taste like cucumbers and are a beautiful plant!), lilacs (who knew?), anise hyssop, chives, lavender, spiderwort, chicory, pansy (not store bought), viola, and wild violets.

Nancy

• arley_gw
    10 years ago

Not to worry John, this is from early Carlin, before he dropped an f bomb every other word. It's almost innocent.

• annie1992
    10 years ago

John, I grew the purple potatoes once, they turned a lovely lilac when mashed with butter and milk, and the leftovers turned into the strangest shepherd's pie ever, but the kids loved them.

I also grow the purple beans, I usually get Royal Burgundy but they do turn green when cooked, unfortunately. You can also get burgundy okra, but that seems more red to me. I've also grown purple Brussels sprouts.

I don't suppose blue-green algae counts? (grin) It was a big health food fad back when the ex and I were running the health food store...

Annie

• annie1992
    10 years ago

John, I grew the purple potatoes once, they turned a lovely lilac when mashed with butter and milk, and the leftovers turned into the strangest shepherd's pie ever, but the kids loved them.

I also grow the purple beans, I usually get Royal Burgundy but they do turn green when cooked, unfortunately. You can also get burgundy okra, but that seems more red to me. I've also grown purple Brussels sprouts.

I don't suppose blue-green algae counts? (grin) It was a big health food fad back when the ex and I were running the health food store...

Annie

• John Liu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My purple potatoes also lightened up when made into mashed potatoes, which I didn't mind, but for maximum darkness and saturation I may try making the next batch with chocolate milk.

I may have mentioned before, we've served purple carrots dipped in chocolate before, they were very tasty.

Purple brussel sprouts, eh? I will look for those as well.

I don't know any algae eaters, although it wouldn't surprise me if it were popular here. Portland is an odd place.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

I made such a beautiful fresh fruit and herb layered jello over the holidays. (not the sugared packets fake flavored) ...Three pale blue layers using fresh blueberries, one layer with a bit of yogurt, lots of lemon and rosemary...I even practiced a few weeks before to check the set-up time. So good. But nobody really tried it. They wanted the super sweet fake red with canned fruit. Oh well.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Bluefin tuna? Does the food have to be blue on the inside as well as blue on the outside?

• John Liu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blue anywhere, in or out, is fine. But blue in only name or spirit isn't enough. So we can't eat bluebloods or Muddy Waters. Well, we can, but they'd have to be paired up with something actually blue (or black, or purple).

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Nori? The stuff I have is more black than green, but definitely not blue or purple. Maybe it depends on the brand?

Annie

• John Liu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have agreed to start a two week ultra low carb diet on Monday.

I think I'll try to organize this Blues Dinner for right after that, as a reward party. I will certainty be blue enough by then.

• pkramer60
    10 years ago

" So-called "blue meat" is just a term meaning severely undercooked meat."

Blue or bleu is in reference to the cooking temp, meaning meat served at the rare stage. Or as we say when ordering any beef dish when eating out...I want to hear moo in the kitchen.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    10 years ago

A blue themed food event can be very unique, memorable and interesting, but I think it needs to be planned very carefully.

Because Blues music typically is about sadness, melancholy and disappointments, hardly can make a gathering cheerful.

Because Blue is an appetite suppressing color. ThatâÂÂs why you are not going to see blue used often in food establishments. Blue can make all food taste lousy.

In any case, there are not that many foods that are blue. I agree, edible blossoms are your best bet. As Lars pointed out, Clitoria Ternatea, (butterfly pea flower) is very blue. You can use it to make a wonderful blue jello. I use blue pansies often when they are in bloom.

I can suggest a few blue approaches to add to your planning flexibility:

You can get inexpensive color changing LED spotlights. They can go from red, green, yellow, blue to white. They come with remote control. You can spotlight the food in blue, then just before serving, you change the lights into a shade of white with red tint to make your food look delicious (The reason why meats look so fresh in the meat showcase, itâÂÂs all lighting).

You can also incorporate the visual science of âÂÂafterimageâÂÂ. Basically, âÂÂAn afterimage or ghost image or image burn-in is an optical illusion that refers to an image continuing to appear in one's vision after the exposure to the original image has ceased. â but in the opposite (complementary) color.

So if you have a lot of red in the environment, you will see blue thatâÂÂs not there. If you stare at purple, you will see yellow afterwards.

Here is an image, focus on the white dot in the center for a while, then look away at a blank spot, you will see an interesting illusion.

{{gwi:1519273}}

I think blue color background, instead of blue food, can make the food very attractive and you still have a blue theme.

I think it would be fun if you spray paint your shoes blue and do an Elvis impersonation of âÂÂBlue Suede ShoesâÂÂ

dcarch

• annie1992
    10 years ago

dcarch, I've stared at that white dot in the middle of blue and black stripes for several minutes and don't see anything except a white dot and black and blue stripes. The blank spot is just blank, no interesting illusion or interesting anything else.

What am I SUPPOSED to see?

Yeah, I know. I never saw anything in those pictures where you stare for long enough and it turns into a 3D dinosaur or something, although other people swore they could see them.

Annie

• pattypeterson2208
    10 years ago

How about Blue Moon beer?

• chas045
    10 years ago

After staring, try closing your eyes instead of looking at a blank area Annie.

• triciae
    10 years ago

dcarch,

Your image of the flag reminds me of being back in art school - color theory class. :) We looked at hundreds of those images. I remember staring at pictures of silver lines that would start to wave like moving water after a few seconds. Made me dizzy. Needless to say, I don't like today's decorating trend of painting horizontal stripes on walls. :)

/tricia

10 years ago

Annie, try what chas045 suggests.

Basically, you wouldn't see a 3D dinosaur (LOL) but you will see the flag in its correct colors. The graphic is the afterimage of the complementary colors of the flag, if you stare at the real flag long enough.

dcarch

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Well, thanks to chas, I did see something. A red square and some white dots, although not a flag. Maybe that's why my glasses are so thick and my prescription is 5+ and I just can't see anything!

dcarch, my dentist had some of those pictures hanging in his office. One was supposed to have a golfer, one had sharks. I did get a headache a couple of times, but never saw the figures. I think he's probably kind of sadistic, or he wouldn't be a dentist. (grin) Or have those pictures.

Now that we're entirely off topic, back to blue food. Could you maybe mix a green food and a red food and get a blue food, or is that cheating?

Annie

Annie

• Lars
    10 years ago

When you mix green and red light (but not pigments), you get yellow, which is the complement on the light color wheel from blue. The color wheels for pigments and light are different because they mix differently, but what we see is light. Some pigment color wheels have been revised to remove orange as a secondary color because doing so makes the color wheel appear a neutral gray when rapidly spun. Otherwise, it appears with an orange tint. In this scheme, there are essentially five primary/secondary colors - red, yellow, green, blue, and purple, but this color wheel is a sort of hybrid between pigment and light.

I took classes in Perception and Color Theory (audited the Color Theory class only because of scheduling conflicts), and at the time I took the Perception class, I was taught that they eyes have two sets of receptor cones - the red/green cones (which recognize whether something was red or green) and the blue/orange cones, which only recognize blue and orange (or yellow) light. In the 1950s, some semi-color movies were made using only blue-green and orange (besides black and white), and this somehow was supposed to simulate the rest of the colors. People who are colorblind generally lack the red/green cones, but are able to see blue/orange combinations. Therefore, red and green appear to them to be the same color, which probably looks like a type of brown to them, which is what you get when you mix red and green pigments. I think it is very difficult to say what someone else perceives, as everyone's eyes are unique, and there are many colors/light waves that we cannot see at all without help.

Blue is supposed to be an unappetizing color, and so using blue plates is supposed to help curb your appetite, but I've been using blue plates for decades with no decrease in appetite that I could discern. Using smaller sized plates has been more beneficial for me. We went to a Japanese restaurant for lunch today after seeing Iron Man III,and the plates were extremely small, and so we brought home leftovers but did not eat them. I'll see if they are still good tomorrow, but there really wasn't that much anyway.

Lars

10 years ago

Lars explained the additive/subtractive color perception well. If you take a magnifying glass and examine the monitor right in front of you, you will find it generates only three colors, blue, green and red. The combination of these three colors can give you all the other colors.

Which, (quickly going off-topic) makes you think the visual afterimage perception phenomenon, does it also happen in a similar way with our senses for taste? (Pairing of foods?)

Back on topic: Think Blue Man Group for more blue ideas.

dcarch

• ruthanna_gw
    10 years ago

I was thinking of you today, John, when I cooked some purple cabbage. I added both white basalmic vinegar and molasses and it stayed about the same dark purple as the outer cabbage leaves.

So what's your objective of this newest diet?

• dreamhouse1
    10 years ago

Squid ink...squid ink pasta, risotto, rice.....? More black than blue, I guess.....

• John Liu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ruthanna, it is an experiment in weight loss. A friend recommended it as a way to break through a weight plateau. (A few of us are doing an informal weight loss and fitness challenge.) I won't keep it up long - seems pretty unhealthy - but for just two weeks I think it will be at least interesting. Turns out the list of things I can eat are very limited. Meat, poultry, fish, tofu, eggs, a limited amount of milk/cheese, almost no fruit/veg, no grains at all. And a daily heap of vitamin supplements . . . None of which are blue.

• triciae
    10 years ago

John, you will lose "weight" on that diet. It will be water weight. Keep it up long enough and you'll lose muscle as well. Fat? Well, not so much. You're forcing your body to go into starvation mode and it will naturally hang on to fat to keep you alive. :(

/tricia

• John Liu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I can see the water weight effect already, because the scale is falling too rapidly to be real weight loss. Interesting.

• Louiseab
    10 years ago

Chicken Cordon Bleu?