SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Try Not To Stir Things Up

One of the most useful, tasty, and healthy food preparation methods is stir frying. However, most home equipment simply does not have the fire power to truly accomplish stir frying. You basically end up with boiled watery stew, braised or steamed dishes.

In fact, the stir fry concept in Chinese actually mean "to shallow fry" or "to fry explosively".

Let me share with you my technique of stir frying which has worked well for me using just basic home stove. This technique may sound strange, but hear me out.

When stir frying, try not to stir.

In stir frying, low moisture levels are necessary mainly because water boils into steam at 212 �F (100 �C), whereas the Maillard reaction (caramelization) happens noticeably around 310 �F (154 �C): significant browning of food does not occur until all surface water is vaporized. Maillard reaction is what imparts that wonderful flavor to stir fried food.

In commercial kitchen, the stove is so hot that water generated by the food is immediately evaporated, allowing the Maillard reaction to take place.

How do you get this effect in the not-so-hot home stove? Here is the trick:

1. Dry all ingredients thoroughly.

2. Keep the pan/wok smoking hot before you add the ingredients.

3. After you add the ingredients, DO NOT STIR! You stir Only when the ingredients start to brown, than just stir a little to prevent burning.

Keeping in mind that stirring adds no taste to food, frying does. The reason why in a Chinese restaurant the chef stirs the food very agressively is because if they don�t the food will be burned, but that is not much of a worry in a home kitchen.

When you stir food, basically you are constantly rotating cold food to make contact with the pan/wok and as a result the wok cannot keep up with getting the temperature hot enough. Stirring also quickly cools the food to the air almost like blowing cold air on the food. Stirring also encourages evaporation, which carries away a lot of heat (latent heat). Once water from the food starts to flow from warm food and accumulates, you might as well give up, the stir frying is ruined.

Remember, resist the urge to stir.

dcarch

Comments (26)