Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electric/Gas Oven

Posted by Renkosiewicz (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 0:40

I recently purchased a new stove with an electric/convection oven. For the last 25 years, I have had a gas oven. I first tried an easy chocolate layer cake and baked it on the regular bake setting (not convection). This is my go-to chocolate cake and I have made it the same way for many years. The layer on the left side did not raise to the same height as the layer on the left. I weighed the pans on my kitchen scale, so I know they were even. Also, the layers stuck in the bottom of the pan. I tried again and the same thing happened. Any ideas on what could be wrong.....? Also, would appreciate some input from you experienced bakers on electric versus gas ovens for baking....Thanks, Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electric/Gas Oven

Guessing the rising issue is due to uneven heating, the stuck issue because gas ovens have a moister atmosphere than electric.

o

I got a new stove in my apartment recently. I didn't like the way things were baking and tested it with an oven thermometer. It was out by 25 degrees.
I even bought a new oven thermometer, because I thought that was pretty strange.

The tech came out and sure enough it was.

o

It's not unusual for an oven to be off by 25 or more degrees. Every household should have and use an oven thermometer, IMO.

I don't care for electric ovens--although I do have one (wall oven) at the country house. It will become my secondary oven, once we move and I have the time and $$$ to replace my electric cooktop with a gas range.

You're going to have to get in the practice of rotating your pans halfway through the baking time, I think. I have to do that when baking cookies, because those on the lower rack back too quickly on the bottoms, while the top ones don't get done on the bottoms. It's not a big deal, just one of those things you get used to doing.

o

Thanks for all the help, people. I just think it will take a while to get used to. Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here