SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaun_gw

Late Night Wonders

shaun
16 years ago

Is there something you love to eat that you'd rather just buy or order it out, than make it yourself? Maybe you can't make it well, maybe it's too time consuming, for whatever reason.

For me, it's fudge. I would rather buy it than make it. it's not fun for me to make.

Comments (36)

• jojoco
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Most fried foods (don't like the lingering smell of frying), croissants (want to try to make these) and soft shell crabs. Probably a lot more that I am too tired to think of (my son just walked in the door from his jr prom, grabbed a tent and was out in his friend's car (mom driving) in about 2 minutes).

Jo

• Tracey_OH
    16 years ago

After my last round with fudge (see link), I'd have to agree with you on that one Shaun! I love to bake, but I still haven't mastered pie crust either, so I'd have to say good old-fashioned pie is something else I really enjoy out.

Here is a link that might be useful: fudge

• Related Discussions

Wondering why forum is so phlegmatic lately.

Q

Comments (23)
    Pete has actually flattered everybody with his use of old meaning of phlegmatic, not the modern perversity associated with sputum ... taken verbatim from the Seer contributor from Cannery Row (also known as Wikepedia) ... do love the oxymoron of "relationship-oriented introvert", one of my sons is like that ... dad's just a hermit. "When the concept of the temperaments was on the wane, many critics dropped the phlegmatic, or defined it purely negatively as the absence of temperament. This, however, made it available for the German philosopher Immanuel Kant to reclaim as the temperament appropriate to freedom and virtue. In the Five Temperaments theory, the classical Phlegmatic temperament is in fact deemed to be a neutral temperament, whereas the "relationship-oriented introvert" position traditionally held by the Phlegmatic is declared to be a new "fifth temperament."
    ...See More

OT Late night animal cries

Q

Comments (11)
    The sound you're hearing is probably raccoons, as I was lying in bed one night I thought a strange and exotic bird was was being murdered by one of my darling cats, by the awful sound coming from the yard, out I went with flashlight in hand and sure enough, there were the 3 little bandits with their mother who was clearly very angry with them. Her scolding was probably the most unsettling sound I have ever heard but I was glad to find all alive!
    ...See More

I was out late last night with a 'Lady of the Night'

Q

Comments (17)
    I once had a hanging basket that had upwards of 30 or more blooms at once. This was in the days before digital cameras and I had no film in my old 35 mm. I had been watching the buds for days, and then one night about 10:30 I smelled the most delicious fragrance wafting in the bedroom window. It was blooming! Bob was asleep, the neighbor's lights were out so I had no one to share the magical event with. As Jim says all were gone by early morning. But I'll never forget it! People often thought it was a stag horn fern as it hung from low branches of a pecan tree by the pool. It was a huge and heavy thing and I'd lug it in the family room for the winter. One winter I didn't take it down in time to save it from freezing. :-( Oh well, beauty like fame is sometimes very fleeting, but I'm thankful for the memory.
    ...See More

Exercising late at night

Q

Comments (13)
    Another late-night exerciser here.... I work out a few times a week at the local gym or swim at their indoor pool, which is open until 10:30pm. Or around midnight I'll jog, sometimes with a partner, on a great nearby jogging path that surrounds and criss-crosses a river stream, yielding a stimulating view (and wonderful scents in some conditions). A shower afterwards, and I'll be at my most clean and fresh just before bedtime. I didn't workout last night, and look who's still awake at 6 in the morning.... Without a late-night workout of some sort, I have too much pent-up energy to feel restful.
    ...See More
  • shaun
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whoa Tracey! You sure went through a lot to make that fudge. I've never heard of Orange Fudge but it sure is beautiful and I'll bet it tastes really good.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

I'm with you on the fudge, Shaun - just not worth the trouble and I only eat fudge when on vacation!

Fried fish or seafood is something I usually have out in a restaurant. But recently my sister made some fried shrimp that I might have to try soon.

• loagiehoagie
    16 years ago

Quite a few! Pizza...just because we have a great local joint 2 blocks away where an extra large with 2 toppings is about 10 bucks. Fried chicken is another thing I rarely eat, and can't do at home no matter how many times I've tried. Chinese takeout. White Castle sliders when the urge hits...about twice a year. Back in my youth/partying days a midnight stop at Taco Smell was usually pretty good. Oh to wake up and see fast food wrappers and not remember eating the tacos! LOL. Oh those were the good ole' days!

Duane

• azmom
    16 years ago

Tons... Such as Chinese ding sum, cannot imagine anyone has the skills, time and energy to make all of the varieties at home.

Tiramisu, by the time it is done, it costs about the same as buying one from bakery.

Peking Duck, dont have the kind of oven to get the desired result.

Cassoulet Toulousain, we make it many times each winter, but without the right kind of meat (duck, sausage..etc.) we can never get it right.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

Fried foods, chinese, sushi, pizza (but I still make it sometimes), and hamburgers are the big things.
    Recently I was at a nice restaurant with some friends and everyone ordered the pecan trout. I make that at home all the time and (it's as good)so I ordered a soup that seemed cheap and luncheony but was something I don't make at home.

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

All mine have been mentioned:

pizza

sushi

dim sum

fried chicken - I can make this really well but it's messy and the house smells like fried food for a long time!

• User
    16 years ago

Lots of thing I love as order in/eat out if the place is really good, pizza, burgers, Chinese and wings, but I'm just as happy with my own and make them often.

Absolute eat out/buy for me is halibut and chips, lobster, donuts, croissants and specialty breads. The effort is not worth the result.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Oh, donuts...yes! I've tried making them at home - egads! what a mess! I did better with beignets but still.... One of my treats on my yearly trip to Lancaster PA is a couple of homemade donuts with powdered sugar.

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

Bread - Although I've made homemade bread and rolls on occasion, I must have been born without that Earth Mother gene that gives such great satisfaction for bread making.

We are fortunate to still have bakeries in our area where I can buy good bread and we rarely eat it anyway so I find the time and effort to make it not worth the end result.

• marys1000
    16 years ago

Hagan Daz Butter Pecan

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

azmom, you're spot on about the Dim Sum. I love it, and have made some of the items and have recipes for more...but jeepers, the whole point is to have a little bit of a lot of different things, and who wants to cook all day long and end up with tons of leftovers?

Chinese roast duck is another...unfortunately, I haven't found anywhere to buy it here in the Valley, so I might have to make the attempt some day.

Prime Rib. It's not that I couldn't roast one, it's just that there's only the two of us, and a roast small enough to give us dinner and maybe a days worth of leftovers just doesn't cook up right...it needs to be a bigger roast to get it just right.

• diana55
    16 years ago

BACON!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate the grease splatter all over my stove. Diana55

• jimster
    16 years ago

There are not many things I don't make at home, but...

prime rib

donuts

dim sum

ice cream

lasagna

eggplant parmesan

My reasons are mostly the same as given by others. Lasagna and eggplant parm are laborious to make and restaurants usually do it well, so I take the easy way out.

Sometimes I will make Chinese dumplings at home, but not a whole spread of dim sum. I've thought about it many times, including the idea of having a party where all the guests join in an assembly line. But I always conclude that is not the way to enjoy dim sum.

Pizza is something I *much* prefer to make at home. I like my own pizza far more than any I can buy.

Jim

• vacuumfreak
    16 years ago

I tried donuts one time and they didn't turn out well at all. Plus, the mess in the kitchen was just dreadful. Thankfully I only eat them about once a year, and they come from Krispy Kreme when I get them.

Fudge and fried chicken are also on my list.

Pasta noodles and sauce are definitely purchased.

Seems that many of these things are pretty universal.

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Ice Cream, pasta, pita bread, Monte Cristo Sandwiches, and salad dressing. I admit it, I have bottled dressing in my fridge. Yes, I make it, there are times it just easier to grab a bottle. I think there are some decent ones available at the store. I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of them now...

David

• dlynn2
    16 years ago

I thought this was going to be some pictures of some wonderfully creative midnight snack you cooked up.

• vicki_lv_nv
    16 years ago

Guess it would have to be fried foods for me. I don't ever fry anything in my house. But now that restaurants are using the oil that is trans fat free, nothing tastes the same anymore. I get a soapy taste from all of it. Which is a good thing...I don't eat fried foods as much.

I use microwave bacon, when we have it. And anything that is very time consuming, doesn't usually end up in my kitchen. I just don't have the time.

• lowspark
    16 years ago

Recently I was at a nice restaurant with some friends and everyone ordered the pecan trout. I make that at home all the time and (it's as good)so I ordered a soup that seemed cheap and luncheony but was something I don't make at home.

99% of what I eat out or order in is stuff I don't make at home for whatever reason: too much trouble to make, too much time/labor involved, quality of ingredients available to me are not as good as what the restaurants get, etc.

That's why I'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a place like Subway sandwiches LOL. I've never understood why those kind of sandwich places are so popular. Who can't throw together some cold cuts & pickles on sub bread?

Since I can cook fairly well, I see no point in paying others to cook for me the things I can do myself. So in addition to lots of what's been mentioned above I'll add gyros. They cook that beef-lamb combo on a vertical spit, and there's no way I could do that at home. And I LOVE that stuff!!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Diana, try putting the bacon on a 4 sided cookie/baking sheet and place in the oven at 400F until the "doneless" you like..much easier to scrape out cooled bacon fat, or better yet, line pan with foil and then throw away when cool.

It used to be fish and chips. But since I don't eat Wheat anymore that's not even possible.

I prefer homemade custardy icecream too..But I rarely make it because the family enjoys Breyer's. Too completely different animals. No comparison. LOL

• beanthere_dunthat
    16 years ago

Most Indian foods. I've done it myself, but it just takes all dang day.

Some Chinese foods -- hot & sour soup and mushu pork come to mind...things with a lot of unusual ingredients that one or two people aren't going to use quickly.

Mussels, clams, etc. -- I seldom trust these in the grocery "seafood" case, have no experience cleaning/cooking them, and everyone else I would usually eat with seems to be allergic to shellfish, so it's easier to just go out to eat them.

Ice cream - If I have to make a conscious effort to get and buy it, it stays a special treat and not something I think I should have daily. Besides, Ben and Jerry is hard to beat.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

I'm still thinking, LOL.

Other than Oreos, which I love, I can't think of anything. I'm just so darned picky that I usually would rather make it myself, to my own liking, no matter what it is.

There are lots of things I'll eat when I go out, but nothing that I wouldn't just as soon make at home.

Annie

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Diana, buy a splatter guard.

Renee, when Costco has mussels, grab 'em! You just steam them in a pot of broth, butter, wine and garlic. Heavenly and better than what you get at most restaurants.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Chinesee food. Just because of the prep and mess to get all the dishes I like. I've done it, but prefer to treat myself on occasion and avoid the cleanup factor!

BK Whopper! 'Bout twice a year.

Fried chicken, again, the mess.

And a note on prime rib...

There's just two of us as well and here's what I do.

Cook a 3-5 rib roast (or larger)...RARE!
    Eat that night for dinner. End pieces and/or cook a little more if you don't like rare.

The leftover 'chunk' gets sliced into 1-1 1/2" thick slices and frozen 2 per package.

When we want more, I thaw and just sear each side quickly like a steak. We almost prefer them this way because of the carmelized flavor the searing adds! I can still have it rare to medium rare!

Deanna

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

You know Deanna, I don't know why I never thought of that. At the restaurant, one of the house specialties was prime rib...A rare-done roast would be put back into the oven for the next day's medium, a medium would be put back into the oven for the next night's well done.

If we had a really slow night, with too much left over the next day, the chef would run Prime Rib Sandwiches for the lunch shift...a thick slab, charcoal broiled, topped with melted swiss cheese, served open faced on a sourdough French roll with sauteed onions & mushrooms.

I prefer my meat rare, but Prime Rib is one of the few beef cuts that I can enjoy cooked medium or even well, if it is grilled like that.

Ooh, my husband is going to be happy the next time the weather cools down a bit (it's been in the upper 90s and early 100s, so I hate to use the oven) he might just be getting Prime Rib! Thanks!

• jen_easydinners
    16 years ago

Some one mentioned never being able to make a good pie crust. Someone posted this, and thought I would share their "never fail pie crust recipe." She said it always is flaky even if she adds too much pie crust.

I make ahead and freeze in round flats, enough for one crust. This recipe makes 5 very large or 6 med crusts.
    5 cups AP flour
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 cups butter flavored Crisco
    Using pastry blender, mix all until pea size. Add and mix the following.
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    Mix egg and vinegar, add cold water to make 1 cup.
    Divide into 5 or 6 portions.
    Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. I use the same wrap to roll my crust

My recipe is called "Never Fail Pie Crust" and it never fails no matter how much extra flour you use or how you roll it. I think the original recipe called for 2-1/2 cups of shortening for 6 crusts. 2 cups works great for me. It's unbelievable how flaky the crusts are. I thaw in the microwave on defrost cycle. It is workable but still cold. I use the plastic wrap that I freeze it in to roll it out. Love it.

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

jen_easydinners - spam isn't appreciated here. Buy some advertising instead.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

I agree with pretty much everyone here.

Like lowspark, when we eat out, I order stuff I don't/can't do at home very well or in a time efficient way. Especially Indian and deep fried food. I just can't seem to get falafel right. I've had a major craving for broasted chicken lately but I'm not about to buy a broaster to make it at home, LOL!

The only thing I might add to the above is ravioli, but that might change, DH is looking at getting a pasta attachment for our KA mixer. DS #2 just made fresh pasta in his Chef 2 class and is anxious to play.

I wouldn't attempt croissants but fudge doesn't daunt me. Dim Sum - I bought a bamboo steamer and once in a while I search for a steamable dough recipe so I can make char sui bao, steamed buns with chicken not pork (Rachelellen?).

I just found a local source of caputo flour so I might try pizza again, but on the grill and in single serving sizes. I hate turning on my oven to the temps necessary to get the crust right.

Jimtex, give lasagna a try again, especially with raw (not the no-boil noodles). I toss in a log of goat cheese and and a bit of porcini mushroom powder into my ricotta mixture.

David I'm with you on the bottled salad dressing (grin!). I don't do salads much. The only dressing I love to make is a mango chutney/balsamic vinegar one for spinach salad.

Ruthanna yup we have fabulous and diverse bakeries in my area too so I do bake some breads, but buy others. Especially the high temp ones.

We have ice cream makers but they sit unused.

• User
    16 years ago

I've been trying to think of foods that I won't cook. There aren't that many. Like Sharon, if I want halibut and chips we go out for them. Although it is possible to cook them at home, you really can't do them as good as a place that specializes in Fish and Chips. I'll cook some Chinese or other Asian at home, but much prefer to go out or order it in. Especially Dim Sum.

I love homemade fudge. I find it easy to make and prefer it over any I have bought. Prime rib is one of the easiest things to cook. I often cook a small one just big enough for the two of us.

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

I'd have to say Fried Chicken. I hate the mess frying chicken makes, and KFC (hold yer fahr!) is only 5 minutes away. Oh, but I love their extra-crispy chicken.

Sol

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Boy, I haven't made Char Siu Bao in a long time, Jessy. Now you've got me thinking about them.

Chinese Steamed Bread Dough

2 t yeast
    1 1/2 c warm water
    1 T sugar
    2 t baking powder
    3 1/2 c flour

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water, & stir in the sugar until it's dissolved. Leave it to proof for about 10 or 15 minutes. Stir in the flour and keep stirring until the dough holds together & pulls away from the bowl...if you need a bit more water, that's fine.

Knead the dough well for about 10 minutes, dusting with flour as necessary. When it's nicely elastic, cover it with a damp cloth or saran wrap and let it rise for about an hour and a half, until it's doubled. Punch down & let it rise again.

Dissolve the baking powder in enough water to make a sort of slurry...about the same amount water as powder, I'd guess. Knead the slurry into the dough for a few minutes.

Now your dough is ready to make whatever kind of steamed bun you like, filled or not.

I like to make flower rolls out of it.

Flower Rolls

Roll out the dough into a rectangle, about 1/4 inch thin if you have the patience but at least 1/2 inch thin. Brush the dough well with sesame oil (buy a good quality, 100% sesame oil, not a blend)...you'll probably use about 4 Tablespoons, and sprinkle with about 1/2 t salt. Sometimes I also sprinkle finely chopped green onions on the dough as well.

Roll up the dough, jelly roll fashion, cut it into 2 inch pieces.

Place a piece on the work surface so that the rolled ends are facing out...sort of on it's side. Now take a chopstick and press down across the roll, almost as though you were going to cut it in half, but don't quite go that far. What you want is 2 ovals joined at their middles. Pick up the roll on either side of the ovals, and, pinching a bit, pull the ends underneath so that the ovals "blossom", and pinch the ends together.

This is as clear as I can describe the process...I remember that the first few times I made these, I ended up with rolls that looked nothing like the picture, before I finally figured it out...it doesn't matter, they taste the same even if they don't look right.

Let the rolls sit for a while and recuperate while you boil the water & set up your steamer...10 or 12 minutes. Steam the rolls for 20 minutes (no peeking!) Leftovers can be refreshed in the steamer in 4 or 5 minutes if you start with the water boiling rapidly.

Now, about the steamer...

Chinese markets have wonderful bamboo steamers that are quite inexpensive. There are large ones made to fit over a wok, or small ones that fit over a pot. They're stackable, so you can steam as much or as little as you like.

Alternately, many Chinese cooks simply put an inch or two of water in a big pot, and use a plate on a wire stand (also available at Chinese stores) that holds the plate above the water. In a pinch, camping, I used a plate on a tin can that I'd removed both ends of. Any steamer set up will do, really. If you're not able to steam the rolls all at once, cover the rest with saran wrap or a damp towel and put them in the fridge, taking the next batch out about 5 minutes before the batch in the steamer is done so they can go back to room temp.

You can also make all kinds of meat or veggie filled buns with this dough.

Roll the dough between your hands to form a long "rope" and cut it into pieces large enough to roll into about 5 inch circles. The edges should be a bit thinner than the center. Put your filling in the center, and sort of pleat & pinch the filling together at the top. Whether the point goes up or down in the steamer is purely to your taste. Traditional pork bao are smoothly round, so the point goes down. Some cooks have the point up because it is decorative. It all tastes the same. It would probably be a good idea to practice with one, steam it, and then check to see if the ratio of bread to filling is to your liking before doing the rest.

Oh, about the sesame oil. Make sure it is Chinese or Japanese. Indian people use a sesame oil that is quite different, and not suitable for this recipe. Also, refrigerate the unused portion as it turns rancid at room temp quite quickly. It is a wonderful oil to quickly saute vegetables or add into Asian marinades or dressings, but has a fairly low burning point, so don't heat it to smoking stage.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Thanks Rachel - I copied the dough recipe. Adding baking powder after the risings ...that is one ingredient I had not come across. Can you explain a little more?

For buns, do you let them rest and rise after you have filled and shaped them, or do they go right into the steamer for 15 minutes?

I have always bought toasted sesame seed oil, from TJs, or Asian stores. Never came across it in Indian stores (I'm usually lost in the dals and fondling the bags of cardamom). I googled around a bit and found gingelly oil; it seems Indian sesame oil is cold pressed from untoasted seeds, and lighter in color/flavor?

You described the bamboo steamer exactly as I thought I should use it! It is so lonely up on my shelf. I was going to lay chopsticks across the bottom of my wok to support it.

Also, I went on Youtube looking for how to shape the buns - 'steamed chinese buns' got quite a few results. If you find something over there for your flower rolls, show me!

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

OMG! Yes! Let them rise a second time after shaping, I don't know what I was thinking! Half an hour to 45 minutes, depending on how warm your kitchen is. Often, Chinese cooks will put each bun on a square of parchment paper to make sure they don't stick, but I haven't had much trouble with that.

I don't know why the baking powder...it's just in my recipe and I have seen it in others, though not in all.

Actually, the steamer should sit in your wok just fine. The edges create a seal over the water so all the steam goes up instead of out the sides. I'm afraid if you rested it on chopsticks, too much steam might escape. I found instructions at the site listed below, the bamboo steaming section is about halfway down the page.

I did go looking for flower rolls at youtube...darn it, you can spend a lot of time there! Didn't find anything though. Maybe next time I make them I'll take photos. But for now, the important part is that the rolled up dough, with sesame oil between each layer gives it a lovely flavor...if you get the traditional shape or not!

Yes, Indian sesame oil is used for different things and has only a hint of the sesame flavor that you want for this recipe.

• angelaid
    15 years ago

gyros and ciappino (sp)

• vacuumfreak
    15 years ago

Tocino... chicken and pork. I tried to make some (you soak it in a salt/sugar mixture for several days... some recipes actually said to add salt peter) and it was a disaster. I added way too much salt! Too much work and the store bought stuff is heaven on a plate (more like sin on a plate, I wonder how much MSG is in it!?).