Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glazed Carrots? T & T

Posted by tobyt (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 23:53

Okay - I really don't like cooked carrots. DH can take them or leave them, so I have never, in 25 years
of marriage, served cooked carrots. We do eat a ton of them raw.
However, now that the DDs are older and have eaten meals at other people's homes, they've asked "how come we never have glazed carrots - they are so good." So I've promised to add them to our Easter dinner menu.
So, I'm looking for T & T recipes/methods. The reason that I don't care for cooked carrots, is that I find them too sweet for a vegetable, so I'm looking for something with an acid balance to counteract the sweetness; citrus, balsamic... what's your favourite?
I can roast, steam, boil or whatever and I have access to some really great, consistenly good carrots.Looking for your best way of serving glazed carrots.
Thanks
Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glazed Carrots? T & T

I just cook sliced carrots in a little water until done, then drain, stir in a little butter and some good orange marmalade (sharp, not too sweet.) Easy and tasty.

o

You could toss in butter an lemon juice, butter and maple syrup..... the options are endless. Parsley is good.......

o

I'm sure you won't like these, perhaps someone will, this is the recipe I am using for Sunday dinner:

Honey-Bourbon Glazed Carrots

• 1 lb sliced carrots
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 3 tablespoons Bourbon

1. Combine all ingredients in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat.
    2. Cook until carrots are tender and liquid has turned into a glaze, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
    3. Season to taste.

•  o

This is an old recipe, but a good tasting, simple one:

Carrots Vichy
    2 cups thinly sliced carrots
    4 TB melted butter
    6 TB water
    1 t. sugar
    salt and pepper to taste

Cook carrots in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain, run under cold water and drain again. Add butter, water, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover over medium heat in a skillet for about 2 minutes, tossing carrots with a spoon, until liquid evaporates and carrots are glazed. Serves 4.

Note: I have also used orange juice in place of the 6 TB water for a nice orange flavor; you could use half o.j. and half water also.

Teresa

o

I slow roast them on a parchment lined sheet pan, cut at an angle, 1/4 turn, cut, 1/4 turn, cut...tossed in a bit of olive oil, spicy mustard, and tiny bit of maple syrup or white balsamic. I don't roast to a shrivel, just until tender. Toss with fresh lemon and parsley to the table. I find them naturally sweet but most like the sugary glazes.
    This could be done ahead, chilled in a casserole, then re-heated.

My carrots are usually just one element of a mixed veg roasty.

o

My DH loves glazed carrots. All the above recipes sound excellent. I don't use a specific recipe-- just toss in whatever sounds good.
    Two nights ago I used up many of the carrots pre cut for Passover by making DH ginger glazed carrots. I think you might enjoy glazed carrots if you cut them into matchsticks. They're easy to cook in a skillet and make a nice presentation. Rainbow carrots make a really pretty plate!
    DH loves ginger, so I tweaked the mix of a little coconut oil (for stir frying),a little butter or olive oil, a spoonful of oj concentrate, salt and lime juice (although rice vinegar would also add a splash of tartness) and cooked until they were tender. Stir in a spoonful of any type of marmalade, shake on some dried parsely or basil and serve. They are always well received!

To make it easier for you if you're cooking for a crowd-- steam the carrots until slightly tender. Reserve and before serving follow the recipe above and cook for a shorter interval.

o

DD #1 makes a good dish that, instead of a sweet element, adds butter and fresh sage plus salt and pepper to taste to the cooked carrots. Not glazed, I know, but I thought I'd throw this out since you said the sweetness bothers you.

o

I agree-- Another fave here sauteing the carrot matchsticks in butter or olive oil then adding salt and chopped french basil (from Penzeys).

o

Thanks everyone - I'm feeling a lot more confident now. Love the idea of marmalade or orange juice, but also really like the lime juice. Will definitely add parsley for looks. Hey - if I don't like them, I don't have to eat them, but it has been way more than 7 years (more like 4 x 7 years) since I've tried them, so who knows? Will definitely do matchsticks - thanks for the suggestion. DH just sharpened all my knives today, so that should make things easier!
    Happy Easter!
    Jane

o

Glad to have helped! Too often I feel like I have little to contribute since the forum has taken a different path!

o

There is a great variety of both raw and cooked carrot recipes on this Cooking Forum Carrot Cookalong of a few years ago.

One of my favorite ways to cook carrots is to peel them with a hand-held peeler and then keep going with the peeler to make thin ribbons until I get down to their cores. I put them in casserole with about 1/4" of water, cover and cook in the microwave on high heat for about 4 or 5 minutes, stirring once, until they're crisp-tender. Then I drain and add a pat of butter, salt, pepper and sometimes chopped fresh tarragon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrot Cookalong

o

I'm not that fond of cooked carrots either--except for the ones cooked in stew or pot roast! Those aren't sweet from anything except the carrots. That's beef, tomatoes (canned whole if no fresh), onion, celery, new potatoes. Maybe some peppers and mushrooms, or whatever's dying. :) Okay, tomatoes and peppers are sweet, but the carrots are sweeter. :) It could easily be done with some rich beef broth and a few of the veg for flavor. Cook slow.

You can also glaze carrots in their own sugar. Just a little fat and stock. I tried to find a good description of the method, but didn't find any (I'm tired...). You could start a French glaze recipe--shouldn't call for more than a tsp. of sugar--and just leave out the sugar unless you think it needs it. Edit: You can even do it with plain water...I just like stock. :)

This post was edited by plllog on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 2:52

o

Years ago, we had our brother-in-law over for a visit, and I was making dinner. Of course he was asked to stay.

After dinner, he asked what i did with the carrots. I steamed them and tossed them with butter and basil.

It turned out that he despises carrots, but obviously took some to be polite? He loved them.

o

Carrots were a hit - and I liked them too. Took a little bit from everyone's advice. I steamed the carrots until tender crisp, finished them in orange juice concentrate, tiny bit of brown sugar, butter, salt, pepper, a squeeze of lemon and fresh grated ginger til they were lightly glazed. Everyone raved, so just might have to repeat them. Thanks all!
    Jane

o

Woot! I'm glad your first foray into glazed carrots was a success! We also love ginger and it's a great addition. AnnT taught me to keep the whole root in the freezer and then use a microplane to grate off what's needed. Then replace it back into the freezer bag for later use.

o

Compumom, do you peel the root before you freeze it?

Teresa - from bloomin' like crazy NC

o

Good for you--trying something new on a traditional day.

After the moans about sweet carrots, I was hesitant about making the bourbon-honey glazed but they were a hit.

*I hear ya' Ellen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here