Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with sweet pistachio butter?

Posted by gellchom (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 23:38

My nice friend brought me a gift from her recent trip to Germany: a jar of pistachio butter, because she knows I love nuts.

It's very smooth and creamy, but also much sweeter than I would have guessed. I had some on some whole wheat challah this morning, and it was too sweet for me for breakfast. I think I would have preferred it with more salt, less sugar.

So what can I do with this lovely stuff? Suggestions? Thanks in advance for what I know will be great ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with sweet pistachio butter?

When I did a search I found the link below with all kinds of recipes using pistachio butter. I hope there is something there that will help you out.

I would smear it on pancakes or French toast and try it as a substitute for peanut butter in a "One Minute Peanut Butter Cake", which is one of those make-in-a-cup recipes you bake in a microwave. I've also used almond butter and sunflower seed butter in the recipe.

One Minute Peanut Butter Cake - makes 1 serving
(30-seconds to mix + 30-seconds to bake = 1-minute)

1 egg, beaten
1 T. brown sugar (I use palm sugar)
1/2 t. baking powder
1 heaping tablespoon flour (I use almond flour)
2 T. peanut butter

In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, or small bowl, whisk together ingredients. Pour batter into a greased ramekin. Microwave for 30-seconds. Turn out onto a serving dish. If you'd like, you can frost it with a mixture of 1 t. milk and 1 T. powdered sugar.
--------------------------------------------------------

I might even try it in the "famous" 3- or 4-ingredient Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie recipe as a substitute for the peanut butter. You could make 1/2 a recipe as a trial. To get 1/2 an egg, mix a whole egg lightly with a fork and use 1/2 of it for the recipe (use the other half in scrambled eggs). Half-eggs are a cinch if you use powdered eggs.

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
--------------------------------------------------

This is my low-glycemic, high-fiber, version of the recipe:
1 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. palm sugar
1 egg
1 T. agave nectar
4 T. almond flour
2 T. hi-maize resistant starch
1 t. soda

Mix well with an electric mixer. Bake on a parchment paper lined or ungreased baking sheet. Press dough balls with a fork to make the traditional cross-hatch marks on top. Bake in a 350-degree oven 8-10 minutes, or until set and slightly browned on the edges.
-------------------------------------------------------

Paleo recipes use a variety of nut butters in grain-free breads, crackers, and other baked goods. That would be another avenue to explore. It also sounds like an ingredient the raw food crowd would use. I bet it gets added to smoothies and sauces.

Let us know what you use it in.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: ifood.tv

o

Sandwich plain cookies together with it (maybe dip them in chocolate too :-) )? Cupcake/cake filling?

o

Sounds like it would be good used in a shortbread cookie as part of the butter.

/tricia

o

Maybe use some Asian/Thai type favors and use it as a spicy sweet nutty sauce over grilled chicken skewers - like a Satay?

You have some great ideas above too....

alexa

o

How about getting more pistachio nuts, and use a blender to blend more nuts into the butter to make it less sweet?

How about making pistachio ice cream?

dcarch

o

I'd try using it like Nutella for which there are thousands of recipes online. Use it in pound cake with a pistachio swirl, or ice cream or gelato as dcarch suggested. Or in a filling for a layer cake, or in cheesecake as a topping or swirl. I wouldn't dilute it too much since pistachios have a subtle flavor, more so than Nutella.

Cheryl

o

How about granola? Mix the pistachio butter with some oil, and leave out the honey or maple syrup.
Pistachio ice cream sounds like a great idea too. Haagen-Daz makes pistachio ice cream but it's not available here, and every time we are at my daughter's in Connecticut we eat vast quantities of it.

o

You guys ROCK!!!

o

Pistachio croissants. Check out the epicurious day old almond croissants and sub pistachio and sprinkle some real pistachios. Or buy kosher puff pastry, use the gift and sprinkle with real pistachios. Neither are t and t but sound good. They need a delicate foil. Perhaps follow your gut and add a touch of salt to the butter, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here