Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Discovery Of Interesting Tastes Stems From Playing With Food.

Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 23:37

I often cook different parts of the same vegetable separately. For instance I use the leaves and the stems separately for different dishes because they need different cooking time, and they do taste a little different.

A few recent food plays with stems.

dcarch

Rainbow trout, broccoli stems
 photo troutbroccolistems2_zpsbc69ed44.jpg

photo troutbroccolistems_zps6636abfe.jpg

Hanger steak, asparagus stems
 photo hangersteakasparagus2_zps5739ddc7.jpg

photo hangersteakasparagus_zps953044e2.jpg

Curry pork, mustard green stems
 photo Curryporktenderloinmustardgreen_zps421254f6.jpg

photo Curryporktenderloinmustardgreen2_zps2c9d08c0.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Discovery Of Interesting Tastes Stems From Playing With Food.

Nice idea. And beautifully plated. I thought I was the only person who always cooked asparagus stems. Nice to know I am in such great company :-)

Even if he makes such terrible puns.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 17:06

o

I thought everyone cooked stems separately or differently. Lately I've been adding stems of various vegetables to rice that I cook in the pressure cooker. They do a good job of adding flavor to the rice, but I do reduce the water slightly when I do this. I've done this with asparagus stems, but most recently with broccoli stems, which came out very tender. I did slice them fairly thinly, however, unlike the asparagus stems, which I chopped coarsely.

I have yet to cook vegetables by themselves in the pressure cooker, however, as I am afraid of overcooking them.

Lars

o

I'm in the habit of peeling the asparagus stems - the parts that you break off and normally discard - then cooking and pureeing them and making a sauce or spread.

o

I love broccoli stems! I have never understood the appeal of the top tree part. It has an odd taste to it and it feels like the "leaves" get stuck in my teeth. The stem portion has a smoother, sweeter taste in my estimation.

o

Bellsmom, :-).

One dish I didn't take pictures of. It was gobbled up too soon. Shopping at Whole Foods, I scored big time. they were selling large globe shaped artichokes. The chokes came with 10 inch long stems. People were breaking off the stems and left them in the bin. I took two chokes and bagged all the discarded stems, 4 lbs? The cashier only charged me two artichokes. If you watch Peppin's shows, you know how often he uses vegetable stems. Also, often at farmers markets, you can get beet stems/tops for free.

About the asparagus stems. Those are Italian purple asparagus “Violetto d' Albenga” variety, They are larger, sweeter and not as fibery as the green ones. Really nice!

dcarch

o

We ate at our favorite Southern food restaurant and had a nice pork belly lettuce wrap that was a special last night. They used peeled broccoli stems, finely julienned, in their raw vegetable pickle mixture, along with carrots, zucchini, and Vidalia onions, as a relish. Quite tasty together.

One of the reasons we enjoy living/dining in the San Francisco Bay Area so much: the female chef is Filipino, trained in French cuisine, cooking New Orleans and Mississipi soul food!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pican/Oakland: dinner menu

o

Yup, stem bag in my veg fridge drawer. Broccoli and cauliflower 'trunks' zip through the mandolin just fine for a veggie dish, layered in a lasagna, etc. Asparagus ends slice thin go in a egg tart...or pup treats.
Some rip off the beet greens at the farmers market..."i'll take that!'
The entire top of leeks, always tossed out, is super in stocks.

Some markets have a bin for shucking your corn right there next to it. Yum, i'll take that.
My compost loves it. : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here