Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Easter Dinner

Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 23:15

Made a few things for Easter. All inspired by various threads here.

Everyone was talking about lamb. Sounded like a pretty good idea. Leg of lamb was $4.50 a lb, So I made Sous vided Leg of lamb.

I think it was LindaC who suggested wild rice. I thought wild rice should be a special treat and not a side dish. So I made wild rice with tapioca, cooked in clam juice and various herbs. The contrasting texture of the wild rice and tapioca made the dish standout. (Thank you very much Teresa for the gift of wild rice)

The strawberry (spiral cut) with cream filling was inspired by Anne.

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter.

dcarch

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Easter Dinner

Your lamb is mouthwatering!
What are the little jellied balls with the rice?

o

I would think that's the tapioca.

o

Yep, I'd say so! Interesting spin on rice pilaf. Might have to try it.

dcarch, ever since the lamb thread I've been thinking about cooking a leg sous vide. I remember you doing it in the past. I know many would call this a crime, but I seem to prefer lamb that's more grey than pink or red. I think that sous vide would lend itself well to getting this degree of doneness throughout without completely overcooking and drying out the outer section. Plus I'm sure the garlic and rosemary would infuse beautifully. The question of course is what temp. I'm tempted to try 150 but I hope that's not too high. What do you think?

o

How are you searing the lamb after sous viding? Pan or torch?

o

Why do I think tapioca is made up of very, very small granules. Those look the size of baby peas. I guess it grows when it's cooked.

o

You may be thinking of sago, jasdip, which is similar but smaller than tapioca.

o

Tapioca is a starch, but it can be sold in shapes, and "pearls" are common.

o

I've had wild rice sitting in my pantry for what seems like forever, but couldn't think of anything exciting enough for me to try with it until now. Love the tapioca idea. I've seen it used as caviar and love that idea as well.

o

OK, I want to know what the green stuff that looks like a caterpillar is. It looks like maybe alfalfa sprouts, but my monitor isn't giving me a good look.

I agree, I think the round things in the rice is the tapioca. Here you can get various kinds of tapioca, both small and large plus ground into powder for thickening pies, etc.

Are those crackers or cookies with the strawberries? Dusted with cocoa?

All you need is a bowl of chocolate sauce to dip them in and I could make that the whole meal! Of course, if it's cocoa, you have chocolate. Just not enough. (grin)

Annie

o

The green stuff, Annie? Me-thinks dcarch gave Chia-Obama a haircut!

o

You've got to respect the commitment some folks have to disrespecting Obama. Even alfalfa sprouts provide an opportunity.

o

ROFL, be careful, FOAS, or you'll get one of those "friendly warnings" about political discussions being forbidden. I got one when I mentioned a few years ago that I'd voted for Ralph Nader. (grin) I tried to explain that Ralph Nader wasn't really a politician, so it wasn't really a political discussion, but GardenWeb wasn't buying it.

I think when celebrities and politicians and athletes, etc., take on those positions/jobs they open themselves up to public scrutiny, whether it be praise or ridicule. It's all part of the job. I speak from experience, as I spent 34 years working in the office of an "elected official". Even at county level they get enough attention.

I wonder if they have a chia Kim Kardashian. Probably not, I think there isn't enough clay to make her butt...

Anyway, enough of such nonsense, we've hijacked dcarch's Easter Dinner thread. Unless, of course, The President or any Kardashian had dinner with him, LOL.

Annie

o

I'm voting for Wavy Gravy.

o

I hear ya, Annie. No political statement intended, just having fun.

BWJ - Send me a link to pic to an "elephant" chia pet - preferably Palin - and I'll be more than happy to post it. I'm an equal opportunity discriminator!

o

There is no chia pet for any politician but Obama.
-Brilliant Wise Jenny

o

No? Here ya go, Brilliant:

o

OMG, there might be enough clay between the two of those to make Kim Kardashian's butt! And enough chia to make whole herd of pets, LOL.

Annie

o

Thank you everyone. Actually I am not sure if that dinner was for Easter or for Passover. LOL!

John, that was done using a torch. I have done crisping the outside using the pan and the oven as well. It all depends on the end results I want.

Those pearls are tapioca pearls. They come in small and big like the ones in the pictures. They really make the wild rice dish special both in appearance and in taste. In contrast, wild rice is completely loose without any starch to bind them together, which is kind of nice. In this dish, the tapioca gave the wild rice a little starch and that gave the wild rice more like regular rice in mouth feel, which was interesting also.

Annie, that's shaved dark chocolate power on the strawberries. I had a separate dish with chocolate shavings that people can dip the strawberries in. This way it's up to each to decide how much chocolate to put on.

The green stuff is just home grown alfalfa sprouts. You can use different shape containers to sprout them into different shapes.

FOAS, LOL! That looks more like Billy Crystal than Obama. Sous vide lamb at a higher temperature (150F) is great. Once you set the temperature, nothing can go wrong.

dcarch

o

Annie, omg. I am laughing so hard!

o

dcarch, you're right, it DOES look like Billy Crystal! I have one of those sprouters, I ought to dig it out.

JH, I couldn't help myself. I try to be good, but....well....you know.

o

OK, back to the presentation. I would like to note dcarch's simple but effective use of chick weed for the wild rice plate. A casual, unfocused view makes it appear that the design is in the plate itself. I Always examine presentations from dcarch.

o

Chas045, thank you for your comments. Yes that is chickweed on the plate. Chickweed tasstes good and it is free. I enjoy this time of the year, so many good things to eat in the garden.

There was another dish that was not posted. It was chickweed pesto.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here