Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
T & T Green Chile Jelly Recipe

Posted by MichelleDT (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 22:30

Mom requested green chile jelly/jam. Anyone have a tried and true recipe they want to share? Not super spicy - just a hint of heat.

Thans.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: T & T Green Chile Jelly Recipe

LindaC makes a jalapeno jelly, I know. I tend toward the hotter "habanero gold", which isn't really that hot and I'm a wimp.

Anyway, Jalapeno Jelly from the Ball Blue Book. Please note that liquid pectin such as Certo/ etc., is usually not interchangeable with dry pectin such as Sure Jell.

Jalapeno Jelly

3/4 lb jalapeno pepper (take out seeds and ribs for less heat)
2 cups cider vinegar, divided
6 cups sugar
2 (3 ounce) envelopes liquid pectin
green food coloring (optional)
Directions:

After removing stems and seeds from jalapenos, puree in food processor with 1 cup cider vinegar. (Or do as I did for years and chop by hand until it's very-finely-minced-heading-to-mush, or use a blender, your choice)

Combine puree, additional 1 cup cider vinegar, and sugar in large saucepot. Bring to a boil; boil 10 minutes, stirring constantly.

Stir in liquid pectin. Return to a rolling boil and boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Skim foam, if necessary, and stir in a few drops of food coloring, if desired.5Ladle hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust 2 piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

If you prefer Sure Jell, or that's what you have, here is the Sure Jell version:

SURE.JELL Hot Pepper Jelly

Average Rating:

Prep Time: 45 min

Total Time: 1 hr 5 min

Makes: About 6 (1-cup) jars or 80 servings, 1 Tbsp. each

Sure Jell Jalapeno Jelly

2 red peppers, seeded, finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)

2 green peppers, seeded, finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)

10 large jalape�o peppers, seeded, finely chopped (about 1 cup)

1 cup cider vinegar

1 pkg. SURE-JELL Fruit Pectin

1/2 tsp. butter or margarine

5 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl (See tip below.)

Bring boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.

Place peppers in 6- or 8-qt. saucepot. Add vinegar. Stir in pectin. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 min. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing centers of lids with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

Tip:

For hotter taste, leave in some of the jalapeno seeds. Protect hands with rubber gloves while preparing jalapeno peppers.

Happy canning!

Annie

o

That's the recipe I use....but I sub 3 or 4 habaneros for some of the jalapenos. The heat of jalapenos cooks out it seems.
Linda C

o

Thanks Annie and Linda. Got everything to try them today.

o

If you want less heat, just take out the ribs and seeds of the jalepenos. If you want more, leave them in. Can sub some regular peppers too, red green and yellow ones make a pretty jelly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here