Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Picnic Gathering

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 21:35

Hi everyone,

So my best friend and former classmate and I were talking not long ago and she said about maybe having a picnic just she and I. Nothing romantic as she has a boyfriend and I like her too much as a friend. Plus, we may have two dear friends join us. Anyways, she and I thought about maybe making some sangria as the beverage. I'm still looking at ideas for recipes on what to make. Most likely, we'll make the food at her home and then find a spot.

Nothing is definite as we still have to figure out a date and menu for our day together and all that fun stuff. She or I have never made sangria, and I've never tasted it. I've been looking at recipes and I found one I like.

Sangria
2 lemons
2 limes
4 oranges
3 apples
1 large container frozen strawberries, thawed
1 bottle burgundy wine
orange juice, as desired
brandy or cognac, as desired

Wash and thinly slice lemons, limes, oranges, and apples into thin slices without removing the peel. Place in a large pitcher. Add strawberries.
Pour the wine into the pitcher, so that it covers the fruit. Cover, and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours. After the Later on, stir in orange juice and brandy as desired. Taste and adjust sweetness.

Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Picnic Gathering

That sounds like quite a bit of fruit and besides, that mix could produce an awful headache!
AnnT has a wonderful Sangria recipe, take a look!

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish Sangria from Thibeault's Table

o

That one looks good. I wing it. OJ, red wine, brandy, sugar if needed. The strawberries sound extra luscious. :)

Eileen

o

I also wing it, I like mine sweet so I use moscato wine, oranges, limes (mother is allergic to lemons but I like those too), something fizzy, like soda, and triple sec instead of brandy. Sugar if necessary, which is usually isn't with the moscato, LOL.

I've done the same kind of thing with strawberries and raspberries and peaches, it's pretty.

Linda (doucanoe) also made some apple sangria when she came here for the Michigan run, I remember it had apples and Apple Pucker but I'm old and that was what....6 years ago? (whew)

So, whatcha thinking for food? Sandwiches? Or maybe finger foods?

Annie

o

Sorry, I was on the iPad and not typing well. Your picnic sounds perfect, good company and a good friend are hard to come by!

o

SWMBO makes our sangria, but that recipe looks pretty much like what she does. Close enough, anyway. Sangria, like ceviche, is about improvisation. It's the jazz of alcoholic drinks.

o

Thank you everyone!

Eileen, glad you liked the sound of the recipe!

Annie, funny you should mention the Triple Sec, I was thinking of using that in place of the brandy or cognac (I've never had any of those either lol). I've been reading recipes and watching videos on YouTube for sangria. I've been scratching my head as for what foods to make and take. Becky and I will have to talk it over and get some ideas.

Compumom, these three other friends, especially my best friend (her name is Becky), are amazing people, indeed.

I'll keep you all updated!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Picnic is an art form. There are many famous paintings of picnics.

I am sure you have a way to keep things chilled, like a beer cooler.

You may want to get a couple of insect repellent candles. It may be warm enough for the hungry bugs to also want to join your picnic.

Have fun.

dcarch

o

Johnliu, that's what I've been hearing about sangria: it's very flexible about using what type of wine and liquor and fruit.

Dcarch, yes we'll keep the food chilled for sure. Unless we decide to eat at Becky's or someplace else. Insect repellent candles are a must, I agree.

I've been looking over lots of recipes, but I'll talk to Becky and see what we can agree on to make.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

For all you outdoors folks, I don't like spray-on insect repellents, repellent candles are not cheap.

But you can make your own very easily. I usually make plenty to last a whole year for BBQ parties, gardening, camping, picnics, etc..

Citronella extract + wax.

dcarch

o

I love picnics and DH and I often go to the park and sit on a bench and watch all the runners, dog walkers and kids playing catch while we eat.

Our favorite picnic meal is finger foods only so we don't have to take along utensils or plates. Here's one I made last year with sandwiches with a variety of fillings, fruit and cookies. We each had our own plastic container.

photo 100_3437.jpg

That's just an idea for a simple picnic menu but you can go as fancy as you like.

o

Okay, so the four of us have agreed that we would like to get together for a day and the picnic seems like it's a go :-). Now, let's see if we can agree on a day and a menu lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

You reminded me of a cook out once that my gf and I did when we were young...we grilled lamb chops over a wood fire...man was that tasty!

o

Ruthanna, that is a lovely picnic lunch. Let me give you some advice. Don't put too much garlic or onions in the food, because things can get romantic at any moment.

dcarch :-)

o

Dcarch, lol well, my two female friends are both taken: one is dating someone and one just got married about six months ago. Besides, I only think of them as friends anyway. I'll find someone special someday. Well, I hope I do, anyways. But that's another story.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

"---I'll find someone special someday. Well, I hope I do, anyways. --"

Actually, I am not that interested in cooking. I found out that cooking is a lot more effective in winning a girl's heart than having a fancy sports car.

Therefore I cook. :-)

So keep cooking Brad.

dcarch

o

Well, I for one, love to cook. Who knows? I just may end up finding someone who loves it as much as I do. Right now, dating's not a possibility for me (LONG story). But, I will keep on cooking, come hell or high water.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Here is the main course I think we all can agree on :-). I do have one question though: could we just combine all the sauce ingredients into the saucepan and then pour it over the ribs?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Here is a link that might be useful: Oven Baked Barbecue Spare Ribs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here