dcarch7

chag kasher v'same'ach

I made gefilte fish for passover.

chag kasher v'same'ach!

dcarch

Comments (9)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

And chag sameach to you, too! I have never seen such attractive gefilte fish. Lovely.

• plllog
    9 years ago

v'gam l'ata.

yafe meod, aval lo dagim haeleh!

Seriously, beautiful plate, as usual, but while I can identify the garnish, the main part has me puzzled. What kind of sauce? Mushroom gravy? What kind of fish? It doesn't look like the standard whitefish and pike. Any significance to the pansies, or just for Spring?

Mine haven't looked right since they stopped being the shape of my grandmother's hands...

• Islay_Corbel
    9 years ago

Forgive me but it sounds like Klingon ;)

• plllog
    9 years ago

Well, Hebrew does have velar fricatives and laryngealized pharyngeals...

• wintercat_gw
    9 years ago

plllg - it should be "v'gam l'kha" (nothing like a good fricative to perk one up).

islay corbel - LOL!

dcarch - Love the flowers! Never cared much for gefilte (too bad a memory of begging my parents to spare the poor carps in the bathtub). I like it that you cook traditional festive dishes from all religions.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Klingon Language Institute

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone!

The sauce is shiitake mushroom sauce. The tough mushroom stems are blended into the fish with some ginger. Never throw away the mushroom stems. They have lots of flavor.

There is a severe shortage of whitefish this year, so I ended up using cod instead.

I played with the symbolism of "3", because all good things come in threes. :-)

dcarch

• plllog
    9 years ago

Thanks, WinterCat. Listening to the words in my head. v'gam l'aba, v'gam l'ata. :) But those velar fricatives sure come in handy! Love the language institute. People are still pushing Esperanto, but the common language heard at various tech conventions is Klingon.

DCarch, thanks for the details! Cod is traditional enough, but the shitakes and ginger are definitely an interesting twist. Would you call that, with the cod, Japanese style? If the celery were vertical, you'd have the three heights of a Japanese flower arrangement... I hope it was yummy!

• Teresa_MN
    9 years ago

Leave it to dcarch to make gefilte fish look tasty!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Teresa.

My first taste was gefilte fish from a jar. It was then I had decided I need to work on making gefilte fish.

dcarch