SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

Crepes...lots of photos.

User
11 years ago

Have been reading all the comments on the convo side about posts. I think it is great that there are so many ways to post here in this forum. I take a lot of pics sometimes and then none for awhile. Mostly my breads end up in photos and I post a lot on The Fresh Loaf. I have never been a regular here as far as posting but I do love to read and learn.

I hadn't made crepes in decades. I got out our only non-stick skillet...we use it for camping :) It worked like a dream. I made buttermilk crepes from a recipe I found on the net. I will link it below. I made them the night before and the batter was perfection. DH helped with a couple pics. They were so delicate and really delicious. We had them with kefir cheese filling that I sweetened lightly and added the zest of one Meyer lemon. Topped with sweetened strawberries and the obligatory dusting of powdered sugar. Yum !! Next day we had the last of the crepes with lemon curd inside and topped with more fresh fruit. They kept very well .

Here are sequential pics just for fun and in case anyone isn't used to making crepes maybe it will be helpful. I hope so. Enjoy !

very lightly brushed hot skillet with butter :

scant 1/4 c batter swirled in skillet off heat:

cook till lacy browned edges :

flip carefully:

stack between waxed paper:

fill and fold :

serve with your choice of fruit and cafe' au lait ! Yummy !

Here is a link that might be useful: buttermilk crepes

Comments (18)

• jimster
    11 years ago

Excellent!

You've encouraged me to make crepes again. Haven't done it in a long time.

Jim

• John Liu
    11 years ago

Very nice! They came out great.

I would try my hand at crepes again, but the psychic wounds from my last effort have yet to heal.

Hey, did you post on crepes in Kitchens? I couldn't find it. Wow I haven't visited Kitchens in so long.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Thanks for the visual encouragement. They are easy; I don't know why the scare some of us.

I'm use to seeing you on the HD forum.

• Lars
    11 years ago

Your crepes are beautiful, and they look a lot like mine.

As a time-saver, you do not need to put waxed paper between the layers - the crepes will not stick to each other, especially since you are cooking both sides. I used to use waxed paper until someone told me it was unnecessary, and I was pleasantly surprised that the crepes did not stick at all! I have more problems with tortillas sticking together, but never crepes.

I use a 7" French steel crepe pan that would work with my induction burner, but I am afraid to use it there, since I move the pan almost constantly while using it. The crepe pan is the only pan I already had (besides cast iron) that would work with my induction burner, and I still have not used cast iron with it either!

Lars

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

If you were just showing the last picture, I would have suspected that you were lying about you had made those.

They looked so professional. Thumbs up!

dcarch

• Linderhof1208
    11 years ago

They look yummy. Reminds me that I should make them sometime soon!

• KatieC
    11 years ago

Those are gorgeous. I haven't made crepes in years. We've been stopping at a little cafe for breakfast on our way to town and their special is often crepes with a fruit topping. Tasty, but cooked too slowly....none of that beautiful brown.

• pkguy
    11 years ago

I love crepes. When I was tot my nana used to make us pancakes whenever she came for a visit and they were extremely thin. I always liked those much better than traditional pancakes. . She was Italian though born in the UK and just called them pancakes so I'm wondering if crepes were also popular with Italians as well? Anyone know.
    The other thing she made was egg pie which as it turned out is nothing more than quiche. Here I'd been eating it for years growing up and had no idea.

My favorite crepe topping is lime juice or Rose's Lime Cordial sprinkled with sugar. You have to try it.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

"---so I'm wondering if crepes were also popular with Italians as well? ---"

Yes, They make them big and round with tomato sauce on top.
    They call those pizzas. :-)

Just kidding. Italians make something similar, Crespelle.

dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 9:02

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Very nice. Reminds me that I haven't made crepes in a while. Would love some of yours with strawberries.

~Ann

• Rusty
    11 years ago

They look really good!

Rusty

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Oh my, those look delicious and I just happen to have some lemon curd in the refrigerator.

Something about Elery eating egg white omelettes and me having all those leftover egg yolks....

Crepes would be a good vehicle for some of that lemon curd, but I'm sure mine won't look as good as yours do!

Annie

• Islay_Corbel
    11 years ago

Lovely pancakes :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) (too small and thick to be crepes:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) )

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you !! Jimster I am glad you are going to try them again. They sure are good. Love the slight tang from the buttermilk.

Yes john I did post over there...it has already moved on to page 2 ! Things go fast over there. I don't post very often anymore but it is still fun to look at all the new kitchens. Mine is 7 yrs old now ! I post is as a KAW--Kitchen at Work. There are a lot of old ones in the archives.

Hey mustangs ! yes I post over there too and on their convo side. Felt like branching out :) It feels very welcoming over here these days.

lars, thank you for the tip . I wondered about that. I will surely leave off the paper next go round. And I plan on getting one of the Paderno pans. Just haven't done it. Now you have encouraged me to spend money...I will tell DH it is your fault LOL.

Linderhof...yes do and please post pics of yours !

dcarch: thank you !! You are too kind...remember I have seen your pics :)

thank you Katie...yes I love the brown...the butter gives them a caramel taste , don't care for the pale ones :)

pk..will try the lime . We have some for the Mexican meal I made. Thank you !!

dcarch..haha...I think every country has a variation of some kind for almost all foods...think egg rolls and all the variations. Always interesting.

Thank you Ann !! The strawberries are lovely this year. We are in the 80's most days already. Late Spring and now early Summer ...sigh. You post pics too..I know how fantastic your photos are. You are an artist.

Hey Rusty ...thank you !

Annie I am sure they will be lovely. Pretty easy with this recipe. You post a pic and we'll see ;) I made 4 qts of lemon curd and froze them...oh my it is so yum.

Thank you Islay...funny they are just like the ones we had in Menton France. Oh well...they suit us so that is all that matters ! c

• momto4kids
    11 years ago

Very nice!! I'm waiting for dear daughter to get up so I can make the requisite Sunday crepes! Batter is ready and waiting. I still can't master the swirl in the pan...but I do make them a bit thinner. Plus, she eats soooooo many, I've finally figured out that I need to make them two at a time on the double burner griddle! LOL!

As for separating with wax paper, I never do that either. They never stick, I suppose because of the butter content. When girls are spending the night, I'll make up to 24 crepes before I start serving. I just stack them on top of each other on a plate. They stay hot, hot, hot until I'm done with all...then I can serve them (almost) together. Yeah, they eat about 6 each, filled with that chocolate/butterscotch concoction I mentioned in the other thread. Sigh...no variety....ever....for them.

Yours look WONDERFUL and I would love your fillings!! Thanks for the pix!!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mom..thanks for posting. How would you swirl on a double griddle ? I can't think how you would pick it up. Yes I will either get a larger skillet or else use less batter next time although for my first time back at making crepes these were thin enough ;) I tore several while turning them. Would love to see pics of your adventures in crepe making !! please :) c

• maggie2094
    11 years ago

Beautiful crepes. I'm inspired to try...I have one non-stick pan, too.

I have egg replacer I use with pancakes so should work the same...daughter has egg allergy. Momto4, sounds like the pefect thing for a bunch of girls.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

maggie please post pics ! thank you for looking. c