SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

In another thread, I was coerced to disclose my top secrete BBQ sauces that make my unbelievably scrumptious, perfect and the best BBQs. Under serious threats, I have no choice. Unhappily I am disclosing, here is how I make my sauces:

I was making BBQ spareribs and roasted pork. As I had shown you how I use free vegetable bags to freeze food, I took out the frozen pork shoulder, already with fat, skin and bone removed and I took out a slab of frozen spareribs, with fat and silver skin already trimmed.

The pork shoulder and ribs were put into sous vide bags, still frozen as rocks.

Looking at my spice rack, the closest jar to me was Montreal Chicken seasoning. Chicken? I was certain it was really for roasted pork. Hey, what do Montrealeans know? So I sprinkled lots of dried Chicken seasoning on the frozen pork in the bag.

On the rack next to the MCS, was Adobo seasoning. What the heck is Adobo? Isn’t it a bird that was extinct million years ago? Since I didn’t have a frozen Adobo, I sprinkled a few tablespoons of the dried seasoning on the frozen pork ribs in the bag.

Both bags, pork shoulder and the ribs went into the same sous vide cooker, and the temperature was set at 152F.

I needed to make some kind of BBQ sauce, being lazy and lacking cooking skills, I decided to take a short cut and pulled out my secrete weapon, the Hoisin sauce. But I did want to disguise the fact that I was taking short cuts, so I took out half of a frozen Meyer lemon, 2.76 oz of ginger. No I didn’t use a scale. I was sure it was 2.76 oz. I blended everything with half of a jar of Hoisin. The other half jar of Hoisin, I blended in two tablespoons of Sriracha sauce. Still tasted like Hoisin? OK, three tbsp of mustard, one whole head of black garlic, and one tsp of sesame oil.

Set it and forget it! After 24 hours, I took out the pork and the ribs from the sous vide cooker. It appeared that I got lucky. Without any proficiency on my part, they were both fork tender and deeply marinated even they went in the cooker totally frozen. There was some juice in the bags, not much, because at 152 F, not much shrinkage was expected.

All together might be about half of a cup of highly flavored gorgeous stock. I had some of Teresa’s wild rice soaked overnight just for this amazing fluid. Got the pressure cooker going for the wild rice.

Meanwhile the pork and ribs were in the freezer to be cooled.

With the charcoal in the chimney starter on the stove (one of the many reasons I like gas stove) for about two minutes, and the charcoal was lit and went into the grill. It took another minute for the charcoal to become hot as hell using my leaf blower method.

I took the ribs and the pork out from the freezer and using brushes to plaster the hot sauce on the ribs and the Meyer lemon sauce on the pork. The grill was so hot. Good thing I had silicone glove on to be able to keep plastering the sauces on all sides.

Two or three minutes later, well, the fire might be hell hot, but the taste was heavenly.

If you are observant, you might notice a very subtle difference between the ribs done the sloppy dcarch way and the normal way. With the dcarch way the bones were not showing because the lack of meat shrinkage.

But the star of the show was Teresa’s wild rice, now infused with the most intensely flavorful ½ cup of golden elixir simmered from 6 lbs of pork for 24 hours.

Thank you once more Teresa. You generous wild rice made the meal complete.

dcarch

a href="http://photobucket.com/"; target="_blank">

This post was edited by dcarch on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 7:05

Comments (7)

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I use MCS on pork regularly. Maybe it should be renamed.

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Pork ribs are one of my favorite cuts, and I haven't had any in a long time. Unfortunately a pig only has so many.....

I use hoisin sauce quite a lot, I like the flavor it adds to chicken and pork, beef not as much.

Annie

• jimster
    10 years ago

Hilarious recipe!

Stunning pics!

Jim

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

Where did the pictures go? We want pictures!!! (I love your food photos, dcarch :-) )

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. Cooking is fun.

Annie, considering the weight of bones and fat, a rack of ribs is probably the most expensive cut of meat.

Colleenz, thanks. The pictures are back. Once in a while Photobucket kicks the bucket.

dcarch

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

Your dinner looks delicious - and a little bit sinful.

I could not follow that recipe if someone paid me. I was laughing too hard. The jimster and I must have the same sense of humor.

I finally got around to cooking the corned beef eye round I got a couple weeks ago. That particular cut is getting harder and harder to find as the brisket cuts are so much more popular. The eye round is very lean which is why I like it. All of the briskets I looked at this year were too heavily marbled with fat for my taste.

Nothing fancy or convoluted about my cooking. I put the 3.5 lb eye round in the Nesco for a couple hours. While the roast was resting I took 1 Tbsp of the pan drippings, 1 Tbsp of butter, a splash of water, caraway seeds and 1/2" ribbons of savoy cabbage. I braised the cabbage for about 2 minutes until it was bright green and slightly limp.

Tricia had mentioned savoy cabbage in another thread. I've only seen it in the fall here in Minnesota. So I was thrilled when I found it in a market this past Saturday.

You can see in the pic that this cut of meat is very easy to slice thin.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Teresa. That is a very nice corned beef eye round. I have never had it before, and have never seen it in the stores.

I may have to corn one myself.

You have reminded me that still have a couple pieces of corned beef I bought when they were on sale.

I am taking one out to try to make corned beef with Hoisin sauce. Sounds crazy, but I think it should work.

dcarch