SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

How are your Passover preparations going?

Cloud Swift
12 years ago

If there has been a Pesach thread this year, I've missed it. Wondering how it's going.

We had a rough start on cooking this morning with a Pavlova. It started out well - I separated the 8 eggs for two meringues without losing one. Then instead of dumping the last white into the whites, I dumped the 8 yolks in. Argh! Put that aside to make scrambled eggs for lunch.

Separate another 8 eggs and start beating the whites - putting the collar on the mixer bowl to start adding the sugar, notice something wrong with the mixer. The planetary that holds the mixer blade is sitting 1/2 an inch below where it should be so there is a gap where I can see the gears. Dumb Whirlpool Kitchenaid - my Hobart KA mixer lasted 30 years before dying. This one is just 6 years old (and we usually use a bread machine for bread).

Dear son who is helping with preparations runs home to get his KA - fortunately we have the same model so my bowls and blades will work. By the time it has arrived the eggs are deflated (actually by the time I start thinking about trying to use my hand mixer). 16 eggs and no progress!

I made a leek, potato, cheese cassarole with some of the eggs and the rest were scrambled for lunch so they didn't go to waste. The third set of eggs got successfully made into meringues for the Pavlovas. It was my first time making big meringues - had a lot of cracking getting them off the parchment but I guess they will be fine under the whipped cream and berry sauce.

We will be having a dairy seder because my other son's family is vegetarian. I made a minestrone soup with whole wheat matzah balls substituting olive oil for chicken fat and tomato puree thinned a bit for chicken soup in the matzah ball recipe. Also put some chopped basil, parsley and garlic in the matzah balls.

Then matzah lasagna - all the components are ready to assemble that.

One of my sponge cakes fell too - just not my year for eggs - I haven't lost a sponge cake in ages.

Comments (11)