Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Torching Seven Minute Frosting?

Posted by tobyt (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 20:03

Haven't been here much, mostly lurking. With two daughters garduating high school this year, and finding myself as chair of the Dry Grad Fundraising Committee, I'm consumed! But I'm looking forward to the four day weekend coming up and am planning a big Easter dinner for family and friends. I have decided I want to make a Lemon "Meringue" cake for one of my desserts. Basically a 3 layer white cake with lemon curd filling, but substituting 7 minute frosting for the meringue. Just wondering if I can hit the frosting (from a distance) with my mini torch to give it the browned tip look of meringue. Don't really have the time to do a trial run, so thought I would see if anyone has tried this.
Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Torching Seven Minute Frosting?

I don't know the answer to your question about browning the frosting but I often make a lemon meringue cake. It has a lemon filling between four layers of yellow cake and is frosted with a meringue of 4 large egg whites, 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar and 2/3 cup sugar.

After spreading the meringue over the top and sides of the cake, I bake it on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes until the meringue is lightly browned.

o

"Torching" the meringue might be a new and trendy idea, but I've not seen it done on 7-minute Frosting. I used to love to make that - I always felt so accomplished when it turned out perfectly!

Teresa

o

Hmmm - that could work. Not a huge fan of meringue myself and the 7 minute frosting is kind of a family thing, but I guess I could put my own feelings aside, just for Easter. Still curious to hear if anyone has tried browning 7 minute frosting. Thanks Ruthanna - you are always a wealth of information.
Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here