SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Freezing Eggs-Instructions for Shirl

annie1992
11 years ago

Shirl, growing up on a farm I learned to freeze eggs, we always had a lot in the summer, not so many in the winter.

Frozen eggs are fine for baking, scrambled eggs, making custards. You can't cook them over easy, of course, but they're good for nearly everything else.

I find my muffin pans hold two eggs. I lightly grease the muffin tins so I can get the frozen eggs out, and then break two eggs into a bowl and add 1/8 tsp of salt. I'm told the salt "stabilizes" the eggs and if you're going to use them for baking sugar will also work but I haven't tried that. I just don't add salt when I bake with them.

Break the yolks and stir them up with the fork, but don't whip air into them. Pour the eggs into the muffin tins and freeze. I put the muffin tin on a baking sheet to control possible spills and freeze, but I've also beaten up 6 or 8 at a time and frozen them in pint canning jars or freezer containers. One egg is 1/4 cup when using them if you freeze them in larger amounts.

My "2 egg pucks" are removed from the pan and put into quart freezer bags, one quart bag will hold 6 "pucks" or a dozen eggs. I find that I have to either dip the muffin tin in hot water to loosen the eggs or let them sit on the counter for 10 or 15 minutes and melt enough to pop them out. Sometimes there is a gooey bit left in the bottom of the pan if I let them sit too long, so I try to just run a butter knife around the edge of the pan and pop them out as soon as possible. However, the little bit of goo left in the bottom of the pan doesn't really matter.

Label and stick the pucks back into the freezer and use them as needed for omelettes, scrambled eggs, in cakes, whatever. If you do larger amounts just thaw a pint at a time, measure out as much egg as you need and keep the rest in the refrigerator to use within a couple of days.

I hope this helps, sometimes I just can't think of any other way to use 8 dozen eggs, or however many dozen are sitting on the counter at any given time.

Annie

Comments (10)