SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gina_w_gw

What's For Dinner? #273

Gina_W
16 years ago

Y'all not cookin' today or what? LOL.

Sharon, yesterday was blazing hot here too - OMG I played ping pong for 3 hours in a community center where the a/c was busted. I brought 2 large chilled Gatorades each for DH and I, along with towels as usual. I needed them.

Afterwards I grilled baby-back ribs for my friends and made cornbread salad. The ribs were a big hit - the cornbread salad was really foreign for my non-American friends. They liked it but weren't sure if it was a salad, a dessert or what, LOL.

Cooled down a bit today and should cool down a lot more by tomorrow.

Comments (100)

• hawk307
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Everyone !

Tonight was leftovers combined:

I had a dish of Garlic and Herb Fettuccini and a piece of
    Italian Sausage left over.
    And one Chicken Cacciatore Thigh with sauce. ( Sorry Kathleen )
    Combined them both, for Dinner tonight .

No Dessert tonight either. Just some Grapes ( Went down in price by $2 )

Sol : How do you do that ???

Kathleen:
    I haven't been to the Shore for a while, I called the Pilings , Poles.
    I knew that wasn't you sitting on the Pilng. You're cuter.

Do you actually eat Dinner and disturb everything ? or just look at the, Table Setting.??? and
    Eat Out. LOL !!!
    I like that Bread.
    Lou

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Ann, that pasta with sausage and rosemary sauce looks delicious (but not quite as good as your appetizer dinner).

Kathleen, what a pretty yellow table but the red and white is stunning. Mike's bread looks wonderful, too.

Chase, now you are passing your craving for stroganoff to me!

Sharon, your salads are always so beautiful!

Dinner tonight was a bastardized Swiss steak and I found some fresh corn that was pretty darned good for this time of year...dessert was a pineapple orange cake with cream cheese icing and then I sprinkled coconut over it.

{{gwi:1516854}}

• Related Discussions

perennialfan273

Q

Comments (5)
    We at Garden Web pride ourselves in making fair and honorable trades and here's a rare situation where that has not worked out. I know it's a lot of detail to read, but this has been going on for a while and here's a brief synopsis. I recently completed HALF a trade with Marty. That is to say, he has my black mondo grass and as soon as he got the notice that it was in the mail he suddenly discovered that the monarda which he had been telling me he had a yard full of and could send me a box full of was all dead or too sick to send. I felt sorry for him and offered to accept postage plus a few dollars extra to make it an acceptable trade - so that I could at least feel he was trying to do the honorable thing. Almost a week later I had no check, no e-mail. I knew he had the plants because I used delivery confirmation. I wrote asking if he got the plants and this is when I finally heard from him asking me how much was the postage for "just" the mondo grass (I sent gifts with it). He also belittled the gifts as "okay, I guess, but not what I would have chosen." At this point I was mad and just requested he mail my plants back. He refuses to do so and has tried everything else he can think of - including involving another kind garden web trader who he is trying to use to bail him out. I refuse to involve this other person, and now he's INSISTING that I let him know the exact postage for the mondo grass alone so he can put this behind him! There have been lots and lots of e-mails and phone calls back and forth trying to work it out. Marty will not do what I consider to be reasonable. He wants what he wants and that's it - never mind what's right or ethical! In this case he wants my plants for the least amount of postage he can get away with. I want my plants back and I'm clearly not going to get them. The thing that upset me the most is that this guy has even continued calling my house after I told him to stop. I', afraid if this continues I will have to contact the authorities to try and find out how to put a stop to it. Go ahead and trade with him if you want, it may be fine, but this is just what has happened in my case.
    ...See More

Bolero at $2.73/inch...did I get a bargain?

Q

Comments (3)
    Suebelle, your bolero is gorgeous! This rose is on my list of ones to buy ever since I saw Lisa Adam's bouquet. Moses, I've never measured and calculated the cost per inch on my roses, so I don't know about that, but I think you got a nice bargain just by getting two rooted plants. I heard some nurseries plant two cuttings per band to make sure at least one takes. It's always a great surprise when I find two in a pot. I once bought two pots of Lady of Shalott and each one had two plants, so I got 4 total for the price of two plus shipping.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #375

Q

Comments (100)
    WalnutCreek, I'll have to try pork chops in the Air Fryer. I have one but the only thing I've liked so far that I made in it was "fried" chicken". Beet chips just fell into the bottom and charred, fish was dried out, potato chips were fiddly and half were crunchy but the rest were not. (sigh) After the beet chip fiasco I shoved it onto a pantry shelf and haven't touched it since, I'll have to drag it back out. Yesterday I took Mother some roasted chicken and twice baked potatoes, the chicken was brined 24 hours and high heat roasted ala AnnT. It was really good, extremely moist and even the breast meat wasn't dry. I also made a big batch of split pea soup, Mother loves it. I had to use yellow peas because I had those and the store didn't have any green split peas (or any other dried beans) in stock. sleevendog, your garden is growing well, and Elery would love an artichoke pizza. Neely, stay well, I'm glad your sons are delivering food, I stopped and did Mother's grocery shopping yesterday and dropped off groceries along with her prepared meals. Jasdip, I'm glad you're just "hunkering down" and there's no reason for quarantine! As for that leprechaun, we didn't catch him, but he dropped some of his treasure, a couple of strings of beans, a few of those "gold" colored dollar coins and some glittery hair clips. Maci insists that she heard "tiny little footsteps in the night" and nearly caught the leprechaun eating all the chocolate, LOL. Annie
    ...See More

Final debate. What’s for dinner?

Q

Comments (22)
    Split Pea Soup with chunks of ham. No debate for me....just can't....DH on zoom call with a friend he has a martini with every Thursday eve. All virtual since COVID except for once in our backyard with social distancing. They've done this for years. It's my quiet time :)
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    15 years ago

Kathleen, your table always looks so nice...including the food.....:))

Lee, I love big salads for dinner too ans Kathleen's sure looks good. Maybe the weather will warm up enough for us to eat that way soon.

Sharon, your Stroganoff looks really yummy!

Lou, the chicken and peach brandy sounds like my kinda eatin'!!

Sharon, I'd do OK some days with the little tracker device but....other days, absolutely not. But that's one of the reasons I like my little summer job. Helps to keep me moving! I did get some yardwork done today and I've been painting woodwork...with more to do. It's a slow process.

Tonight we had a forum dinner... I have wanted to try Kframes Mac 'n Cheese, finely did and it was very good.
    The ribs are one of our very favorite recipes from here.

Nancy

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Sharon as always your salads amaze me!

How funny Nancy I made Kframe's mac and cheese too! I thought it was OK but Meredith really loved it! Fifteen minutes after dinner she was back for dessert....another helping of the mac and cheese! Served with baked ham , slaw and asparagus.

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    15 years ago

ok, now Chase and Nancy are giving me a craving for Mac n Cheese. Looks so good!

Marigene, dinner looks great! I'd love what your having!

Sharon, great pictures and a really great looking salad!

Lars, I wish you had taken a picture, too, it sounds great! Copied and pasted!

Lou, no dessert? You want a tortoni? I made extras! Would go nice after a great meal like you had, looks delicious!

Checked out a few blogs this morning and one of them, Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy, had a dessert I remembered from way back when I was a kid. She wrote about the neighborhood Italian restaurant and the dessert Tortoni! The place we went to called it Biscuit Tortoni and it brings back such great memories, so I found the paper cups at Party City, Larry went out looking for the Amaretti cookies and this was one of the best desserts we had in a very long time! Looked and tasted just like I remembered!
    {{gwi:1516856}}

Dinner was really good, too, Maryel's Avocado, Orange and Red Onion Salad with orange Honey Vinaigrette! That was a big hit, a very big hit!
    {{gwi:1516857}}

and chicken cutlets with roasted strawberry tomatoes and melted fresh mozzarella.
    {{gwi:1516858}}

hey, Maggie, where are you? Check your email! Computer fizzled out? Hope all is well! Has anyone heard from Maggie lately?

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lars, I've changed the recipe for Crab Imperial as you see - I've had it with fish and with scallops, I've added spinach and lemon juice too. I bet you could sub some white wine and lemon juice and even some water for the milk.

Saturday my SIL made a big pot of steamed mussels for us for lunch - they were heavenly. She bought a big bagful from Costco. For dinner we celebrated DB's birthday at a Japanese teppan-yaki place - it was so-so, but the owner did an impromptu comedy show for us and I learned some cute jokes.

Afterwards we moseyed over to a local ice cream and chocolates shop. Everyone had ice cream but I had caramel and chocolate dipped marshmallows. Oh, buddha! We had to suck in our tummies for the trip out the jacuzzi later - where my SIL made fresh lemon drops. I tried to work everything off with 3 hours of table tennis practice yesterday!

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Everything looks and sounds super! We had bone-in chicken breasts on the grill last night. I just basted them with melted butter, salt & pepper. I love the charcoal flavor:). Garlic toast on the grill, baked beans and vinegarette style coleslaw along side. YUM!

I'm doing "something" with a chuck roast tonight but not sure what. We just had roast last week but I'm still playing cleanout of the freezer for upcoming company.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

You all are intimidating!!
    For Peppi's and Sherry's last dinner here before they heading back home, I made a Spanish themed meal since Tampa is known for Spanish cuisine. We had:
    Filet Salteado
    Spanish yellow rice with peas
    Roasted vegetables (portabellos, green & red peppers, Vidalia onions, eggplant)
    Arugula Salad with Figs, Prosciutto, Walnuts, and Parmesean
    Flan de leche
    Cuban bread
    Pinot Noir

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Carol, that looks like a delicious meal!

Cathy, what a lovely dinner you prepared...sounds like you all had a great time!

Chase, that dinner looks great! Some of my faves..

Marigene, wow, looks great, CORN and bastardy steak, and dessert, the whole enchilada Sp?!! delicious..

Nancy ribs and mac, decadent!

Lou, you are too funny. Of course we eat at the table.and mess it up! DH finds this all very silly..waiting to eat till I take the pic...but I told him Lou wants to see, LOL... I don't think I could climb the pilings, so def not me..
    Dixie, your dinner sounds good to me!

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Oh that looks like a wonderful send off dinner!

We are celebrating Cinco de Mayo here... Maggies are chillin and we will be eating the following (I cheated and copied the post form the Cinco de Mayo thread):

I just tasted our appetizer for tonight and it is yummy! I tossed some shrimp (with shell) in olive oil, garlic and chili powder and sauteed it over med-high heat. When cool serve with a squeeze of fresh lime and a bowl of guacamole for dipping.
    FOr the entree I had saved the following recipe from last year and decided to dust it off for tonight....

TEX-MEX CHICKEN BREAST
    Source: Cowboy Cartoon Cook Book
    Publisher: Golden West Publishers
    Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2001, 0:00 p.m. MST

6 large CHICKEN BREASTS
    1/2 stick BUTTER
    2 medium ONIONS, sliced thin
    1 small RED BELL PEPPER, diced small
    1 small GREEN BELL PEPPER, diced small
    1 can (16 oz.) CORN -- reserve liquid for cooking rice
    1 can (16 oz.) diced TOMATOES -- reserve liquid for cooking rice
    3/4 cup DRY WHITE WINE (or DRY SHERRY)
    1 shot TEQUILA
    1 tsp. RED CHILI POWDER
    SALT and PEPPER
    2 cups LONG GRAIN WHITE RICE
    3 cups WATER (or CHICKEN STOCK)
    1 LIME, sliced thin

Cook chicken in melted butter turning until golden brown. Take chicken out and keep warm. Saute onions in pan until wilted, but not brown. Add red and green bell peppers, saute for two to three minutes. Add corn, diced tomatoes, wine, tequila and chile powder. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for five minutes. Add chicken and cook another five minutes. Cook rice, using reserved liquids and three cups water. Put rice in large serving dish and arrange chicken on top of rice and spoon the vegetable mixture around the chicken. Garnish with lime slices.
    Serves 6.

Salud!

• bri29
    15 years ago

Everyone's dinners look so good! As usual, I've had to stop myself from drooling on my laptop on a number of occasions!

I finally stole 20 minutes and threw together some real food for a change. Nothing fancy, just some pasta with broccoli, peppers, carrots and chicken breast, but it was tasty! Guess I should have made something Mexican in honor of the day, but I was craving pasta.

Bri

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Sharon, I don't know what looks better. Your ham dinner or your stroganoff. Funny how you and Nancy both had Kframe's mac and cheese.

Marigene, I'm craving fresh corn. It will be at least three months before there is fresh corn around here.

Kathleen, what a great name for a blog - Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy. Thanks for the link.

Cathy, you sure fed Peppi and Sherry well. What a great dinner.

Bri,your dinner looks and sounds delicious.

I had some of the black olive tapenade from the other night leftover, so I doctored it up with some green olives and some sheeps feta and stuffed a pork loin. Served with roasted potatoes and rapini.

• kframe19
    15 years ago

Wow. I'm glad that my Mac and Cheese has been such a hit with everyone!

My friends are bugging me to make it again.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I rarely remember to photograph anything, but I did get a shot of the Chicken I made for Cinco de Mayo - it was really good, but DH and I both agreed it needed some heat. Next time I will add jalapenos or something.

{{gwi:1516862}}

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Cathy what a great send of dinner, YUM!

Ann love the look of that pork, looks nice and moist. Haven't had stuffed loin in awhile......hmmmmm

Alexa that chicken dish looks great, love the sound of your appy as well.

Bri that pasta looks so inviting, I could live on pasta.

Last night we had Chinese for Cinco de Mayo! I started out thinking I would cook Mexican but nothing was really grabbing me. So instead I made a favourite of Meredith's. Sweet and Sour Breaded Pork tenderloin. Easy and tasty recipe.

• mamalou
    15 years ago

Would love the recipe for Sweet and Sour Breaded Pork Tenderloin...got one in the freezer just waiting for a good recipe.

Did a search and couldn't find it. Please share.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Chase, LOL Chinese for cinco de mayo! It looks delicious! I don't care for Mexican food, an occasional taco, made at home though...We had peppered steak with snow peas peppers and carrots over rice. Good way to use left over steak, and pretty tasty..

Ann, the pork looks delicious...Carol posted the link

Going out today to eat and plant shopping on the North Fork..Lovely here today..This is our beach walk..Peconic Bay, Southampton, NY..

{{gwi:1422016}}

I know Ann, the carrots, but I am trying to increase my limited veg intake! Scroll on by! :)

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Another dish I haven't made in forever, now Pepper Steak is on my list! We should have a retro dinner night.

Mamalou here is the recipe. Very tasty and easy...a good combo!

Sweet and Sour Pork Tenderloin

2 Green Bell Peppers, quartered
    1/2 cup salad oil
    1 clove garlic
    1 1/2 to 2 lbs pork tenderloin, cubed ( I just slice in about 1" chunks)
    2 eggs
    3 TBSP flour
    1 tsp salt
    pinch pepper
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 can pineapple chunks, drained
    1 TBSP corn starch
    3 tsp soya sauce
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1 TBSP molasses

Parboil peppers for 5 minutes. Saute garlic in oil.

In separate bowl, beat flour, eggs and seasonings. Dip the pork in the mixture and brown in the oil.

Pour off excess oil from pan, add broth, pineapple and peppers. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Blend remaining ingredients. Add to pork. Stir until thick.

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

Chase your stroganoff and green beans looks wonderful as does your ham dinner with mac n cheese!

Lars thanks for sharing the tuna recipe. It is copied and pasted. Now I just need to find the peppers. I always have a hard time finding peppers here. We don't get the same selection that the U.S. seems to get.

Sharon, wonderful looking meals. Especially the salad and fish and chips!

Nancy, roadhouse ribs, and mac n cheese sounds like a winning combo.

Lou, your meals always look great!

Dishesdone, I was on that same website and had copied that recipe. Now I will have to make it for sure. I am definately going to have to try that salad. Was the recipe posted?

Marigene, I would love a piece of your cake. Your meals always looks great as well!

Bri, your pasta sounds like something I would really enjoy.

Ann, beautiful looking pork loin!

Caliloo, I would love your chicken just the way it is,lol. Can't seem to be able to do things with too much heat anymore.

Chase, Chinese would have appealed to me more than mexican as well, and yours looks delicious!

Kathleen, beautiful pictures! I love your dinner plates!

Spent the weekend baking and cooking.

Made the last of my vermont cheddar artisan bread.

{{gwi:1516864}}

{{gwi:1516865}}

I had made some brioche dough earlier in the week. I used some of it to make a brioche braid, filled with an almond paste cream mixture,blackcherry jam, and blackberries. It was heavenly. I had used blueberry honey in the dough, so it had a nice pink tinge to it.

{{gwi:1516866}}

Then I made a brioche filled with chocolate ganache. Don't know what this one tasted like as I froze it.

{{gwi:1516867}}

For dinner I deboned some turkey legs, and stuffed them with a pureed turkey breast cream mixture, shitake mushrooms and some smoke ham. Alot of work but I will defiantely be making these again.

{{gwi:1516868}}

And plated with some BLT smashed potatoes, (bacon,leek,tomato), soy beans and cheddar bread.

{{gwi:1516871}}

Last night was AnnT's salisbury steak with greenpeppercorns, creamed corn, a side salad and the leftover blt potatoes to which I added some sour cream and smoked gouda . We liked them better the second time. Forgot to take pictures however.

Shelley

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Wow Shelley, your kitchen accomplishments are wonderful. The first time you posted the cheese bread I thought it looked fabulous and it still does. Was your brioche dough also from the Art. in 5 book?

Kathleen your waterside photo is lovely. It's a pretty day here too. We didn't have Mexican food last night either, but maybe tonight - I'm sure I have a long piece of chorizo for grilling in my freezer.

Last night we we had BS chix breasts and thighs marinated in Lea and Perrins Marinade for Chicken (it came free with the regular L&P Worcestershire) a little garlic, some Dijon, and a little white wine. It was very good, good enough that I might, just might, buy the marinade. Sides were fresh spinach very lightly sautéed, small baked potatoes, and large salads with fresh mangoes.

Lee

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    15 years ago

We're having cashew chicken tonight but now I'd like to have sweet and sour pork instead. Looks so good!

Nice walk at the beach, Kathleen! Weather has been so nice! Dinner looks great, new plate? I like it!

Shelley, you've been busy! Looks great! Especially the chocolate brioche!

Here's Maryel's salad recipe. I used baby spinach and it was really good!

Avocado, Orange & Red Onion Salad with Orange Vinaigrette

3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
    Pinch of salt
    Dash of Tabasco (optional)
    1 Tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon orange zest
    1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice
    Approximately 1/3 cup olive oil, or flavorless vegetable oil
    Chopped cilantro or parsley (for garnish over salad)

Avocado halves or slices
    Orange segments
    Sliced red onion
    Spring mix or other greens of choice

Whisk together vinegar, salt, Tabasco, honey, orange juice and zest, then whisk in olive oil.

Arrange avocado, orange segments and red onion over greens on salad plates. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with cilantro or parsley. May also sprinkle with chopped nuts of your choice.

Adapted from the California Avocado Advisory Board. from Maryel

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Dinner tonight was pasta with Italian sausage, tomatoes, sliced fennel and goat cheese with a side of zucchini/yellow squash.

I got an early Mothers Day gift from my daughter....a gallon of liquid gold...better know as Vermont maple syrup.

• shaun
    15 years ago

Last night I made Sol's Lemon/Garlic chicken, bowtie pasta with sauteed fresh garlic/Olive Oil and honey carrots (sorry AnnT).

Wish I had taken pictures, it was as pretty as it was delicious.

Both hubs and son had seconds; in fact, while watching TV later that evening, hubs commented that dinner was really good.

Such an easy dish - and so so good.

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

Lee thanks, and yes the brioche was from the artisan book. I froze half of it.

Dishesdone, thanks for the recipe!

Marigene, your pasta looks good!. How lucky are you..that really is liquid gold! Nice mothers day gift.

Shaun your dinner sounds wonderful!

Shelley

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After consuming mass quantities of food over the weekend, Monday night I made a healthy dinner salad of tuna, Barella-Plus macaroni (less carbs, more fiber), cooked broccoli florets, classic 3-bean mix, green onions, celery and heart of romaine lettuce, with a light yogurt-cilantro dressing. Sounds not good but it was actually really good. (Yes, I ate broccoli! Yay me!)

Last night was lamb chops and asparagus with browned butter and bread crumbs.

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Sharon, I just saved your Sweet 'n Sour Pork recipe, that's something I haven't made in years. I've used the Betty Crocker recipe forever so I'll enjoy trying yours. Thank you.

Marigene, yum, maple syrup. I just shelled out $$$ for some, just can't make myself buy grocery store pancake syrup. I'd go without first...

Shelly, nice baking and cooking!!

I've been cruising on cooking this week. Been trying to get odd jobs around the house done. I did get a handyman hired to do some needed out side maintenance.
    I just took chicken out of the freezer for tonight, I'm hungry for a comfort food dinner.

Shaun's dinner last night sounds good too!

Nancy

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Well I just went ahead and made pot roast on Monday with my chuck roast - coated with flour, salt & pepper and inserted garlic and browned on both sides in Dutch oven and then added some wine and onions and let it cook away. We didn't feel like potatoes so we had roasted corn instead along with green beans.

Yesterday I made egg rolls, Bok Choy and shrimp fried rice (thanks Ann for reminding me that we haven't had Bok in a long time). I had lots of leftover white rice in the freezer so it was perfect timing plus I wanted to try out some of the chinese mustard recipes that I had asked about the other day. It was GOOD!

Ribeyes on the grill tonight along with potato wedges and salad - probably some Texas Toast also.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Sharon your sweet & sour pork looks delicious. Reminds me that it's about time for a ladies' night out with the girlfriends for Chinese, as Wolf doesn't care for it and I love it.

While shopping downtown at a local chain supermarket I discovered ...chicken tenders! And here I was saying I'd never seen them here, but this shop has eliminated totally their meat service department and replaced it with cold shelves of trays of vacuum packed meat cuts many of which are not seen in other supermarkets.

The norm here when shopping is to take a numbered ticket for the fish counter, another one for the deli counter, and another one for the meat counter. Then at each one you have to wait your turn for the meat to be cut or sliced to your order. The display cases show little or no precut pieces of meat, just large chunks waiting to be cut on request. So these shelves of precut meats in trays are still something new here.

So after reading the thread here on chicken tenders I realized that this is what was being discussed when I saw them here for the first time. Here they are called "solomillo de pollo", the solomillo being the tenderloin.
    Price here is 8.95 Euros a kilo which works out in dollars at $6.75 per pound. I bought a tray of just under a pound and have put them in the freezer for another day.

Yesterday I bought a BBQ deli chicken and those salty wrinkled potatoes and green mojo sauce which we had (again) with a mixed salad with feta. We each had a quarter chicken yesterday and the rest today. There are some lovely avocados and tomatoes in the shops right now so I'm making sure we get some in our daily salad. It's hot here so I haven't turned on the stove today or yesterday. But it's nice to have our lunch outside on the patio in the shade, drink some rioja wine and watch the birds.

I also found some beautiful fresh basil so although we recently had some pasta with pesto from a jar, I'll be making pesto tomorrow as we both love it when it's freshly made.

Did some work in the garden the past couple of days too and have scratched arms from the roses. The opuntia cactus is covered with lovely fat buds so I'm looking forward to the next days when they will open into beautiful golden flowers.

SharonCb

• mamalou
    15 years ago

Sharon/Chase...sorry..don't know first names yet.

Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe. I cannot wait to try it!

Lou Ann

• shambo
    15 years ago

Sharon CB, I think your description of picking tickets & then waiting in line for personalized service at the fish & meat counters is just delightful. I'd love to return to those days. You'd get just what you wanted, be able to judge freshness & quality, and develop a working relationship with your butcher.

• disneyginger
    15 years ago

Warmed up some stuffed shells. Wasn't sure they'd do well with the ricotta, but nothing separated and they turned out to be quite good for a frozen leftover. Salad and some olives to nibble before dinner. Done!

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Shelley, great looking bread. Actually everything looks wonderful especially that Chocolate brioche.

Sharon, thanks for posting the pork tenderloin recipe. Looks good. I can tell you are enjoying having Meredith home.

Marigene, I'd love some of your pasta.

Sharon, you have some of the best take out places. That chicken looks perfect.

I found some chicken tenders here last week and made breaded chicken fingers.

Tuesday night we had fresh local spot prawns. First of the season for us. Garlic prawns served with rice.

Last night was take out halibut fish and chips.

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Sharon, your meals are a delight to see each day.

Ann, those chicken tenders look sooo good. The shrimp aren't too bad, either!

Last night we had stuffed chicken breasts (goat cheese and pine nut stuffing) and roasted smashed potatoes.

Last of the lilacs...the season is far too short.

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Marigene, lilac's are one of my favorites and I swear I could smell your picture!

Sharon, I want some of those salty potatoes.

Ann, it's the fresh prawns that have me drooling.

Last night I just made some fried chicken, smashed potatoes with gravy...I needed gravy.

I'm off to the grocery store. Just checked Sharon's Sweet 'n Sour recipe. We'll see what looks good. I keep hoping for some nice veggies, getting tired of wilted carp.

Nancy

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Nancy your chicken looks so good with that gravy!

Another good chicken dinner Marigene. Oh your lilac is lovely and I can't believe they are nearly finished in your area. I always associate lilac with mid summer in Canada. When I was small we had a bush growing just outside my bedroom window and I loved it.
    The scent would come in the window at night when I was in bed.

Ann that looks just about what I'll be doing with those chicken tenders I bought, but I think I'll be rolling mine in crushed almond and maybe dipping in a peanut sauce. Shrimp & rice dinner looks delectable.

Made pesto finally yesterday and we stuffed ourselves with fettuccine again. Can't get enough of freshly made pesto!

Afterwards, a trip to the garden centre where I found a lovely German rose from Kordes ...a copper coloured one that will be a beauty I know. Also stocked up on 4 more basil plants, rosemary, thyme, mint, petunias, scented white stock (love those) and a brilliant creeping succulent. Some pics taken at the garden centre and my bounty on our potting table at home.

Happy Weekend everyone!

SharonCb

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Ann that shrimp looks wonderful! Marigene what a great pic of the lilac, very nice. Nancy those potatoes are right up my alley, you even put lots of pepper on them for me. Sharon your pasta and pesto looks so yummy even though I'm not a big fan of pesto. I love basil so you think I would love pesto....go figure!

Last night I poofed a beef stirfry and fried rice out of filet leftover from the stroganoff and rice and peas left over from the night before last. Clive loved it, I passed!

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Sharon, that is one of the prettiest Pesto photos I've seen.

Nancy, I know how you feel. I often "need" gravy. LOL!. A roast chicken dinner is my favourite. Yours looks just perfect.

Sharon, I can see why Clive would love it. Looks delicious. I'd be happy with just the fired rice.

Marigene, great looking chicken. I worked yesterday and wasn't sure what I was going to do with the chicken breasts I had out for dinner. Used your idea and stuffed them with goat cheese and asparagus. Browned them on top of the stove and then finished them off in a hot oven.

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I made penne with bolognese sauce. I got the inspiration for my latest "instant" bolognese sauce from the FX cuisine blog. It's delicious:

Gina's Instant Bolognese Sauce
    (As opposed to cook all-day sauce)
    ==============================================
    In large saucier, heat 2 TB oil.
    Saute one medium finely chopped onion.
    Add one stalk of finely chopped celery.
    Stir until translucent and soft.
    Add about 1/2 lb of fresh ground pork sausage (I buy it at Sprouts market, uncased and lightly spiced). Stir to incorporate, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon.
    Add one can (12oz?) crushed pomodoro (Italian-style) tomatoes, with juice.
    Add seasonings - S&P, Italian herbs, white pepper to taste.
    Add a cup of red wine.
    Simmer, partially covered, until wine is cooked down by half - about half an hour.
    Add 1/2 cup of cream and a couple TB freshly grated parmesan or romano cheese, stir to incorporate and simmer another 15 minutes.

About 6 servings. Serve over your favorite pasta. I used BarellaPlus penne rigata.

Note:
    Last night I added a dozen chopped mushrooms to the veggies. You can add garlic - if you do, add chopped garlic after cooking the meat. Adding it to the veggies will result in overcooked, bitter garlic - adding it too late will result in overly raw, pungent garlic. Some may like the latter. I do from time to time.
    If you have more time to simmer the sauce for a few hours, add a couple TB of tomato paste, more wine and more cream, and throw in a cheese rind).
    I stir pasta like penne into sauces before serving, to get sauce in the holes.
    I used to use beef for my Bolognese-type sauces, but I am thoroughly sold on pork now. It's more subtle and doesn't dominate the sauce like beef does. (Where have I been? LOL.)

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

I bet those chicken breasts tasted good Ann. I should also try stuffing with goats' cheese as there is so much of it produced here on these islands. It must go well with asparagus too.

Sharon you're doing some really expert looking Chinese style dishes lately. I love stir-fried rice and beef.

Gina that sounds like a great bolognese sauce. I'm cutting and pasting and will also try pork instead of beef for my next bolognese.

Yesterday I made a favourite fish recipe originating from the island of Mallorca (Majorca in English), where I lived for many years. It's a recipe for grouper but I had bought some lovely thick slices of hake the other day when I didn't see grouper. Hake is a good white fish which is usually always available. Here it is ready to serve and earlier on the stove while being assembled.

Yesterday I took this pic of some well pruned bougainvillae while walking to the supermarket.
    It was stunning in the bright sunlight. Someone did a great job pruning to get that swag effect with the bushes.
    This morning was a perfect sunny May day in our back garden. Now the sun is higher, everything seems to glow in the strong light.

INGREDIENTS:

4 - 6 thick round slices or fillets of grouper, perch, hake or other mild, meaty white fish
    2 handfuls of spinach or Swiss chard - roughly chopped
    1 handful of flatleaf Italian parsley - roughly chopped
    3 ripe tomatoes - skinned and cut into large dice
    1 ripe tomato sliced
    1 handful of spring onion - or 1 leek, finely chopped, including all green parts
    2 lbs potatoes - peeled and sliced into rounds
    3 fat cloves garlic, sliced
    1/3 cup pine nuts
    1/3 cup raisins
    olive oil, salt & pepper
    flour for dredging

Utensils needed: Large shallow earthenware, Pyrex or Corningware ovenproof casserole; large frying pan.

METHOD:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Cut any bones from fish, season both sides with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.

2. Heat about 3 TBS oil in large frypan on stove. When oil is hot, cook fish in pan until nearly done, turning once.
    Depending on thickness, that should be about 3 or 4 minutes per side. Remove fish and set aside on a plate.

3. Add a bit more oil to pan and when hot put in sliced potatoes to cover bottom of pan.
    You will probably have to do this 2 or 3 portions at a time.
    Sauté potatoes and when golden turn each slice over using two forks or spatulas.
    As potatoes cook, remove them and place in bottom of casserole dish.

4. When all potatoes have been removed from pan, quickly brown the slices of garlic and the pinenuts in the same oil - that takes only a few seconds. Remove them and put on a small plate.

5. Place the three diced tomatoes in pan and lightly fry them for 3 - 4 minutes.

the garlic, pinenuts and raisins to the tomato in the pan and mix together well, cooking for about 1 minute.

in the casserole and arrange the one sliced tomato on top.

8. Cover the casserole with a sheet of tinfoil and place in heated oven for about 15 minutes.

Source: translated and adapted from: 'Morter sa_Greixonera'

SharonCb

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Sharon got to me earlier this week with her Sweet 'n Sour Pork. I hadn't made that in ages. I used her recipe, subbing a red pepper and an orange pepper for the green. YUM!!!

I also snapped a quick picture of this mornings breakfast.
    Blueberry Pancakes and eggs.... I just stocked up on maple syrup and wanted to try it. The syrup I got was this years "Best of Show" for the Michigan Maple Syrup Association and it was from a farm about 10 miles away. So I just had to try it...I can taste why it won.

Nancy

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Sharon, your back yard is so beautiful.

Nancy, Between yours and Sharon's Sweet and sour pork I now have a craving for Chinese.

Moe would love your breakfast.

Made Penne with Italian sausage for dinner last night and tonight was grilled baby back ribs Greek style. We started with a new version of a Greek Salad. One topped with warm feta.

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Sharon, bet that hake was delicious.

Nancy, I could eat breakfast any time of day or night. Yours sure looks yummy. We will have the Vermont maple syrup tomorrow morning!

Ann, that Greek salad is calling out to me. We had sausage and pasta the other night, so good.

I have been craving shrimp so tonight was the night. Marinated it in sambal oelek and the sides were rice cooked in coconut milk/lemon and a couple of green veggies.

Trevor gifted me with a Hot Cocoa rose bush for Mothers Day.

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Wow Nancy, your breakfast looks wonderful.

Ann, I have been wanting to make your ribs for the last week, but our grill is not heating well and Max has not had time to take it apart and trouble shoot it yet. Your salad with the warmed feta looks wonderful. Was the cheese just sprinkled with herbs and maybe olive oil and then heated in the oven to melt a little? I want that salad!

Lovely dinner and lovely rose Marigene. I like rice cooked with coconut milk.

Yesterday we spent the afternoon buying annuals at a very crowded nursery and then stopped at the Mexican market for marinated chicken breast and fresh tortillas. Max spent the rest of afternoon planting - this has been my traditional Mother's day gift from him for a number of years and makes me very happy. Dinner was quickly cooked chicken fajitas and a tossed salad.

We are leaving in a little while to pick up DMIL and drive to our son and DDIL's for a family grilling party.

Happy Mother's Day.

Lee

• woodie
    15 years ago

Marigene - could you please let me know how you did the rice? Do you just sub coconut milk for all the liquid - or is there some other special trick that I need to know? The grilled shrimp looks delicious too, but I think I can figure that out for myself, LOL, since I have some sambal oelek!

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

I really should eat before I go to work but I was worried I didn't have an appetite. This thread solved that problem!!

Love those red depression glasses Kathleen. And that chocolate rose Marigene! And the basil pic Sharon!

I almost never post or read here because my average dinner is: a handfull of corn chips and a hunk of cheese, or canned tomato soup and grahmn crackers, or whatever looks good at the canteen at work. But this weekend, due to furious poofing, I cooked up a storm and I just have to brag.

I made cherry yogurt bread that gave me fits last time due to not rising. This time it over rose and then collapsed. It's still yummy and edible though. I cut down on the salt from the recipe which I think was my big mistake.

I made root vegetable gratin from the Cook's Illustrated Cover and Bake cookbook, which was good but way too rich for my taste. It featured potatoes, parsnips and carrots. I even cut down on the cheese and cream called for, and it was still too rich. I am going to experiment with the idea of a gratin a little more and see if I can come up with a lighter version that I still like.

The best cooking adventure was poofed morroccan chicken that I made to use up some leftover mulled wine. It was red wine spiced with cinnamon, cardamon and cloves. Not enough to make it worth drinking. But I combined it with a tsp. corriander, cumin and paprika and some garlic and put it in the crockpot with some skinless chicken thighs, sweet potatoes and onions. Yum deluxe! I made a gravy with the juices left in the pot, to which I added more curry powder and a generous dash of hot paprika and some lemon juice. I also added fried green peppers and a half a leftover apple. Served with cous cous and sweet and sour stir fried chard that used up some oranges that were way past eating prime but supplied the "sweet" juice for the sweet and sour. I am having it all as leftovers for lunch today.

The only problem was the potatoes got way overcooked. The Cook's Illustrated book said to put them on the bottom of the crockpot, closer to the heat, but that was way off base. The sweet potatoes cooked faster than the meat.
    Best to mix I think.

I sure wish Penzeys sold a moroccan spice blend. I sure wish I knew how to spell Morocco!

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lpink, that moroccan chix sounds delish. I love gratins but I know -- cream and cheese, oh my!

Yesterday after table tennis I had prepared a shish-kebab grilled dinner for DH and I and 4 other people. But 6 people turned into 9 when 3 guys from table tennis wangled a last-minute invite. I didn't mind and was prepared - DH and I made wayyy too many skewers - we just figured there'd be leftovers. I made bacon-wrapped shrimp, plain shrimp, sausage-and-peppers, portobello mushroom and veggie skewers. DH helped chop and skewer.

For dessert I made strawberry shortcakes with store-brought angel food cake loaves, macerated strawberries and homemade whipped cream. I added just a little Splenda to the whipped cream, as my guests were mainly Asian and they don't like sweet desserts. Accompanying the shortcakes I had pre-made a bunch of twice-chocolate-dipped strawberries - once in white choc, then in milk choc. (Yummers!)

The kebabs and shortcakes meal was a big hit. (Slam! Dunk!) I'm getting better and better at cooking for large groups without stressing out at all and losing my mind. AND my ping pong is getting much better - I'm playing games with the big boys without as much embarrassment. I was beginning to worry that trying to turn myself into an athlete at this age was futile.

:-)

Tonight will be something light - maybe even just a yogurt smoothie.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

LOL Gina, I wish I didn't like sweet desserts!
    Actually the dessert you describe is one of my all time favorites. You are so lucky to have fresh strawberries out in CA, not once but twice a year! It is still a month before ours will be ready.
    Luckily I still have some strawberry jam left from last year. In fact I think I will have some for breakfast. I've got to use it up in readiness for this year's harvest!!

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Gina, what a great meal. It doesn't surprise me at all that you are a great cook, hostess and athlete.

Lee, Sorry. I missed your question about the salad. I placed thick slices of feta on a small cookie sheet lined with the nonstick foil. Drizzled it with olive oil and sprinkled with feta, and pepper. Placed it under the broiler until the cheese was hot and soft. The cheese was very soft so I used a spatula to transfer it to the tomatoes. Definitely a keeper, but next time I'm going to flavour the olive oil with a little garlic.

Ann

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Thanks Ann, I just bought a block of feta and will do that soon. What were the herbs you used? Oregano and...?

Last night we had grilled rib steaks, thick beautiful, rare and sadly not so tender. I was surprised because they looked so gorgeous. Just a baked potato, steamed green beans and a tossed salad for sides.

Tonight I'm thinking of trying a one pot pressure cooker chicken and pasta dish. I don't see any reason that it couldn't be done with chunked boneless chicken breast and a cacciatore type of sauce with penne. I'm out of salad greens so that will mean a trip to the market and of course I could change my mind about the main dish once I'm there.

It's a grey, cold rainy day here so comfort food is in order.
    Lee

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ann. The word "athlete" doesn't really apply. "Proficient hobbyist" is too wordy though. LOL.

I'll close this out since I didn't cook last night. We went to Coscto to gas up ($3.77 regular, $3.99 for premium for those keeping track), and I got a sudden craving for a Costco hot dog, so I got one. DH got a chix caesar salad.

I did work in the kitchen when I got home - had strawberries and chocolate left so I made another batch of dipped strawberries. I gave some to my neighbor and brought the rest to work today. They were all gone in a few seconds.

I'm making either meatloaf or meatballs or something else with ground beef tonight.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville